KSP Loading... Preview: Breaking Ground - Robotics - KAL-1000 Controller

St4rdust

4 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Ok.. I really can't wait for its implementation. 

Just to be clear, I am not confirming we are doing it for sure. I am only saying that we are aware that people want it and we will consider it along several other feature requests. 

4 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Give it one week and we’ll be whining and complaining how this is THE WORST ever DLC because of that :)

Probably earlier than that :)

2 minutes ago, nestor said:

Just to be clear, I am not confirming we are doing it for sure. I am only saying that we are aware that people want it and we will consider it along several other feature requests. 

Ok no problem.

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You can place multiple controllers, that's for sure. And there's already YouTube videos as the review ban is up it looks like. In the few videos I've seen, there's quite a few parts. Theres 12 in the  video and probably room for a lot more.

Oh okay

14 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

That would be ideal in my opinion. Far easier to make symmetrical movements.

I wonder if you Alt-Drag copy a KAL 1000 does it copy all of its tracks? Could you then change the actuator a track is tied to?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Can you move tracks? Copy/paste?

1 hour ago, St4rdust said:

Not now,... :) 

Or in other words, “I’m sorry Dave, but I can’t let you do that”

This looks great, only one more day to go! Although I probably won’t be able to muck with it until Saturday...

I was not expecting an editor that powerful, this is fantastic!

I would like to add a vote for some sort of copy/paste or other symmetry mechanisms (invert track, reverse track, etc. would be nice) for the tracks, however. Timing many parts to work in sync at the same amplitude (or careful ratios) is going to be tricky.

But that just speaks to how powerful this editor is, I wouldn't have even thought to worry about these things before seeing this video, would have simply considered it out of reach.

Again, fantastic job SQUAD! I'm really excited.

Edited by Opus_723

This looks 10x better than I was expecting. This is good work and very usable.

My list of increasingly unreasonable demands (or Jeb gets spaced!):

• The ability to snap the current timeline to an large-ish increment--For example, 1/12 of the total time. (I've been a CAD draftsman for 30 years, I like precision and exactitude.) Nevermind, just saw a higher-res video
  • The ability to directly edit the numeric values of the curves. I'm guessing that these will be stored within the craft file, within the Sequencer part (probably as Unity FloatCurves? :(). I imagine modders will get right on this. Nevermind, just saw a higher-res video
  • A turret follow-mouse feature like BDArmory, which of course will be used for non-violent purposes only. ;)

Edited by FleshJeb

I also was not expecting a keyframe based editor. I thought we'd get a much more simplistic interface. This, however, is amazing! Squad, you guys went all out on this DLC!

I expect this to be a game changer. ARRRGGGHHH is it tomorrow yet!?

Is it possible to have more than 1 sequence and switch between them? At the moment that 6 leg thing can only walk forwards/backwards, needs two more different sequences for turn left and right. 

5 hours ago, rudi1291 said:

Keyframe based editor? Thats nice and allows for great flexibility...

Does this only work on the new robotic parts or also on existing parts with animations/actions?

It uses the same "field" set up as the AxisGroups feature, so any field in a partModule that has been classified to say - let me be bindable to an axis can be added. Thus modders can easily add this capability to their parts and they become KAL compatible. eg the light color is controllable in moduleLight. WIll be super to see what people think is good for being bindable too.

I'm sure there will be extra fields people think will be useful to do this with and will keep an eye out and our own ideas too

24 minutes ago, Darren9 said:

Is it possible to have more than 1 sequence and switch between them? At the moment that 6 leg thing can only walk forwards/backwards, needs two more different sequences for turn left and right. 

Each controller has a sequence, you can bind the same part/values to different controllers and then play them as you want, as opposed to multiple sequences in one controller

5 hours ago, nestor said:

Well.  You finally stopped considering radar altitude, delta v, and oil drums.  This is certainly on the list of "should have been in 1.0."  We can't even review action groups in flight.  How is that good design?  I, for one, would love for reasonable things such as these to leave the "considering" phase and move onto the "development" phase.

That being said.  My opinion of Squad is back on a slightly upward trajectory.  Don't let us down.

5 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Not now, but thanks for the feedback! :) 

I'm sort of surprised testers didn't bug you insistently until you added copy/paste.

Adding copy/paste to the controller is one of those things that seems easy, but I’m willing to bet it’s not. But it would be a nice feature to have. And if they did find an easy way, we’d find bugs and glitches after it released it. 

Of course, there may still be bugs as is, but at least now we can build our own bugs! :cool:

time to go to sleep - its like the night before that special night with all the wrapped gifts.... Had to keep Jeb away from the punchbowl...

now am going to have to find out if IR-Next (which just got released) will play well with these new parts. :P

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Adding copy/paste to the controller...

was thinking the same. wonder if you could script out one say leg, and then copy the part in the editor and the script comes with it?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.