[Deleted]

This is what it does on Steam. It’s well documented and commonly known. It’s also why it’s recommended to copy the KSP folder, put it elsewhere and play from there, inocculating your active install from changes on the Steam one.

And so it starts, when the people who don't know you can copy your game and play it outside of Steam start posting.

Welcome to the forums, OM3GA. Sorry for your trouble but this has literally been happening for years. There is no practical way to keep Steam from updating and there's no practical way to update a game and not occasionally break a thing or two. For this and many reasons, you should make backups of not just your saves, but the entire game. Lucky for you, you can likely get a valid backup of your save from the folder. in Backups there are some old persistent files. Treat them like tiny fragile golden eggs that if broken will blow up your house, and save them somewhere safe, so if you DO fix your problem you'll have a way to keep playing your game.

Though oddly I don't see a KSP update in Steam (I'd love to get one). What version were you on and what version did you get updated for?

If I had to guess, Loading the KerbalEVA asset isn't what's wrong, it's just the last thing the game did successfully. If you post the ksp.log and output_log.txt (upload them to Dropbox or something) and post a thread in "help with modded installs" maybe someone will be able to help you.

And needless to say I doubt Steam or Squad will give you a refund. Nor should you want one. You won't be able to play anymore if you don't have the game.

Edited by 5thHorseman

34 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

There is no practical way to keep Steam from updating

Wait, so turning off updates doesn't turn off updates? :huh:

1 hour ago, OM3GA said:

All because the stupid game didn't warn me

This is odd.  The game didn't used to warn you until after you load the save.  At some point, though, I think in 1.5 or 1.6, they changed it to warn you about missing parts before it loaded the save, to prevent exactly this.  I know from personal experience that it is pretty easy to instinctively click through that warning without even noticing what happened.

I know you're frustrated, but yelling about it without much information isn't going to help much.  Inside your save's folder should be another folder called Backup.  In there should be five files with datetime stamps.  Remove or rename the persistent.sfs file in the save folder, the copy one of those backup files up one level and rename it to persistent.sfs.  This should let you reload your game after getting your mods back installed without much progress loss.  There's also a good chance you have other saves you can load if you've ever had any quicksaves.  It shouldn't delete any of that when your main save file got borked.

28 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

And needless to say I doubt Steam or Squad will give you a refund. Nor should you want one.

Exactly. Squad/T2 did nothing wrong, this is just how Steam works.

1 hour ago, OM3GA said:

AND WHY IS IT BROKEN?

Because of mods. KSP modding rule #1: don’t mod your Steam install. Things WILL break.

1 hour ago, OM3GA said:

I refuse to lose my work like this to a feature i wasn't told about.

There is a way to install older version of KSP on Steam. Do it, copy it somewhere else, restore a save from backup (as @5thHorseman said), play.

1 hour ago, OM3GA said:

I had a perfect install, I had all the mods I wanted, all up to date, and this auto-update feature on steam bricked my entire game; now i literally am unable to play it. It auto-updated without my knowledge, then loaded in the new version, no sign of anything amiss, then bam, i loaded into my save and everything was broken. My mods didn't work, my planes were gone, my vessels deleted, my progress erased. All because the stupid game didn't warn me. WHY DIDNT IT WARN ME? AND WHY IS IT BROKEN? IT GETS STUCK ON LOADING THIS KerbalEVA ASSET, WHY DOES IT DO THAT? ITS A DEFAULT ASSET, WHY IS IT BROKEN? And now it loads slowly, almost taking 30 whole minutes to load. I want a fix or I want a refund. I refuse to lose my work like this to a feature i wasn't told about.

I let Steam update my game, but I keep a backup save copy on another drive in case things go Pear-shaped. I also have separate copies for my various planet pack installs since there is always a delay before Kopernicus updates to the current KSP version. None of these auto-updates, so the suggestion to keep it in another folder works very well.

However, it is weird to hear your planes are gone...Are the files missing or is it just the broken mods mean they cannot be loaded?  If the ship files and saves folders are still intact, you should be able to retrieve them.

I did find this on Reddit and checked it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6ej21k/is_it_possible_to_get_old_versions_of_ksp/

The suggestion from Reddit is to do the following: 

1.  Right click on KSP in your Steam library

2. Choose properties at the bottom of the list

3. Click the tab that says BETAS

4. There is a drop down menu of previous KSP versions. Choose what you need. 

Hopefully that will sort it out. I've not tried this, so let me know if it works or not.

27 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I have 3 options under updates, and none of them even hint at disabling them.

Has that been changed?  I recall having a "Don't update this game" option in Steam before, and I know I've seen turning off updates being suggested a ton of times here.

But I guess that's just the nature of today's internet.  Making everything better by taking away our choices.  I'm gonna go ahead and blame Microsoft.

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Has that been changed?  I recall having a "Don't update this game" option in Steam before, and I know I've seen turning off updates being suggested a ton of times here.

But I guess that's just the nature of today's internet.  Making everything better by taking away our choices.  I'm gonna go ahead and blame Microsoft.

Wow, I just checked on Steam, and here are the choices now on the dropdown:

1. Always keep this game up to date.

2. Only update the game when I launch it.

3. High-priority--Update this game before others.

You have to laugh it is so stupid.   Fortunately, as mentioned before, it is easily worked around by copying the game to another folder.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

And it has always been a useless suggestion as that old option would still update once you tried to launch the game. The only thing that changed was that now the option is telling you what it actually does.

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/6ej21k/is_it_possible_to_get_old_versions_of_ksp/

The suggestion from Reddit is to do the following: 

1.  Right click on KSP in your Steam library

2. Choose properties at the bottom of the list

3. Click the tab that says BETAS

4. There is a drop down menu of previous KSP versions. Choose what you need. 

Hopefully that will sort it out. I've not tried this, so let me know if it works or not.

This is what I do, it avoids breaking everything on update, but retains steam cloud for save games.

There should be a panel much like this:

y4mXq-ARH2O5UIFAl_eG4BBEqHNikhkIER_fG06m

If you're on anything except "Opt Out of Betas" the game will stay on the old version.

11 minutes ago, Flibble said:

If you're on anything except "Opt Out of Betas" the game will stay on the old version.

And that's why I would say they should put the current version on this list as well. But no one is listening to me. :(

9 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

And that's why I would say they should put the current version on this list as well. But no one is listening to me. :(

I'm not sure steam allows you to do that sadly. :(

12 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

But no one is listening to me. :(

Iconic as Perry Rhodan is, he’s not Luke Skywalker, Jean Luc Picard or James Holden. More like Rodney Dangerfield, I’d say.

Problem is persisting. Apologies for the aggressiveness; it was a rough day, and not being able to play Kerbal Space Program to alleviate some of the stress sent me over. Unfortunately, logs are out of the question, as the first thing I tried was a full re-installation. Verifying game cache has yielded no results, and I can't find a way to launch the game from a different directory without moving my entire library of games.

Fortunately, however, I do have a cloud backup of saves, and an external HD of mods.

(Also, I was on 1.4.4 when it auto-updated to 1.6.1, presumably for the new Breaking Ground DLC launch.

Edited by OM3GA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.