Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

2 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Have you adjusted the torque?

No, not touched it. But I did figure out that it was a mod that was causing it. Doh! Should have thought of that first. Turned out to be Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which makes sense.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

3 minutes ago, Phil deCube said:

No, not touched it. But I did figure out that it was a mod that was causing it. Doh! Should have thought of that first. Turned out to be Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which makes sense.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Yeah, since the update, my game has been very unstable with any mods at all.  And with the DLC, I find the parts just do weird stuff (like one hinge will open and the other won't) unless I play in a completey stock game. Right now I'm not keen to try and trace what is causing what, so I'll just live with the vanilla game for a while.

1 minute ago, Klapaucius said:

Yeah, since the update, my game has been very unstable with any mods at all.  And with the DLC, I find the parts just do weird stuff (like one hinge will open and the other won't) unless I play in a completey stock game. Right now I'm not keen to try and trace what is causing what, so I'll just live with the vanilla game for a while.

Aren't updates fun? :D

Anyone else having issues with the new suits not showing up? I don't know what I'm missing. All the other new stuff is there. I downloaded with Steam, already tried checking integrity of files. Still old space suits. Even did a fresh install, no mods.

Edited by AmpCat

It kind of seems like deployable science doesn't actually transmit anything on its own.  I have a lovely setup on the Mun with 5 relay satellites (2 regular antennae, 2 relay antennae each) in synchronized 100KM orbits for continuous surface coverage, yet even in sunlight my deployed science won't transmit.  I've got enough power, I've got a control unit for them, all of the stations say they're connected, yet no science goes out.  What gives?

Edited by SkyRender

Found a couple bugs with the telescoping hydraulic cylinders.  When power runs out, they collapse instead of stopping in place.  This is not possible with a hydraulic system.  Even with a leak, it would only slowly fall based on the rate of the leak.  When a hydraulic engine stops, the piston stops.

The next video shows 2 of 3 symmetrical cylinders failing while the 3rd continues it's pre-programmed course.

I also had the rotation servo not be able to stop, even when the power ran out, and the control said it was off.

Edited by Critter79606

1 hour ago, Critter79606 said:

Found a couple bugs with the telescoping hydraulic cylinders.  When power runs out, they collapse instead of stopping in place.  This is not possible with a hydraulic system.  Even with a leak, it would only slowly fall based on the rate of the leak.  When a hydraulic engine stops, the piston stops.

That depends very much on the system involved (actual engineer here) and how it is designed. It's quite possible for a failed or de-powered hydraulic system to still allow movement. Aircraft, for instance, often have 3 independent hydraulic systems for control surfaces. If the moving parts froze upon system failure, the redundant systems would be unable to continue carrying the workload. 

11 hours ago, jarnold said:

Have you chosen the suit in VAB/SPH? It's where you assign crew to seats.

... I have not, no. However, in looking in the VAB, I don't see anywhere in the screen assignment tab where I can change their suits.

Edit: Okay, I found the little coat hangar icon. It's about 3mm tall on my 4k monitor. Wish that were pointed out more in some of the announcements.

Edited by AmpCat

Just now, AmpCat said:

However, in looking in the VAB, I don't see anywhere in the screen assignment tab where I can change their suits.

There's a wire coat hanger looking symbol next to the kerbals in the crew tab. Same icon in the astronaut complex. Click that and it cycles through the suits. 

Just now, Cydonian Monk said:

There's a wire coat hanger looking symbol next to the kerbals in the crew tab. Same icon in the astronaut complex. Click that and it cycles through the suits. 

Just found it, thanks!

15 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

this is why I'm holding off on a purchase, like all major KSP updates I'm gonna assume at least one hotfix, maybe two, are on the way

5 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

this is why I'm holding off on a purchase, like all major KSP updates I'm gonna assume at least one hotfix, maybe two, are on the way

Eh, don't believe that everyone else's experiences apply to you. I have over a hundred mods installed, and have had no issues at all. But I'm also a bit more patient and less accusatory than some, too.

28 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Eh, don't believe that everyone else's experiences apply to you. I have over a hundred mods installed, and have had no issues at all. But I'm also a bit more patient and less accusatory than some, too.

I don't think it is being accusatory.  It's just observing what is what.  I've been using the same set of mods for a while and in the recent updates, I am crashing a lot, which I have not had issues with in the past.  (Well, crashing the game. Crashing planes is another story :)

I uninstalled the mods to so I could continue to play. Then I continued to build my plane, which was a simple X-wing. I tested it and it worked--the wings opened as they were supposed to. I tried reinstalling just a few mods (not including Kopernicus which I thought might be the issue). No crashing, but the plane did not work: the top wings deployed and the bottom ones stayed stuck closed. So I uninstalled all the mods, and the plane worked again.  I just have not taken the time to go through mod by mod of the remaining ones to see who the culprit is.  It will get sorted out I am sure in time. I did not expect everything to work perfectly from the get go.

Either there's some bad mod synergy going on, or the "gather surface science" mission is buggy right now.  It started out saying "gather 100% of 50% of surface mystery goo science", but now it's saying something absurd like "4,538% of 50%" instead.

14 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

No crashing, but the plane did not work: the top wings deployed and the bottom ones stayed stuck closed.

KerbalJointReinforcement seems to cause problems like that, going by others' reports.

5 minutes ago, SkyRender said:

Either there's some bad mod synergy going on, or the "gather surface science" mission is buggy right now.  It started out saying "gather 100% of 50% of surface mystery goo science", but now it's saying something absurd like "4,538% of 50%" instead.

Indeed. Mine says I collect 450% even though the experiment is only at 0.26% lol. 

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I don't think it is being accusatory.  It's just observing what is what.  I've been using the same set of mods for a while and in the recent updates, I am crashing a lot, which I have not had issues with in the past.  (Well, crashing the game. Crashing planes is another story :)

I uninstalled the mods to so I could continue to play. Then I continued to build my plane, which was a simple X-wing. I tested it and it worked--the wings opened as they were supposed to. I tried reinstalling just a few mods (not including Kopernicus which I thought might be the issue). No crashing, but the plane did not work: the top wings deployed and the bottom ones stayed stuck closed. So I uninstalled all the mods, and the plane worked again.  I just have not taken the time to go through mod by mod of the remaining ones to see who the culprit is.  It will get sorted out I am sure in time. I did not expect everything to work perfectly from the get go.

I understand. I realized later my wording was maaaybe a bit harsh, despite being accurate. My point was more than sometimes people blame instability on new KSP versions and Squad, when the real reason may be incorrectly installed or corrupted mods, or even just poorly written mods. Remember, believe it or not, it's actually a lot more likely a mod is poorly written than the root game. The main difference is a mod will get feedback and fixed within days, rather than months.

So just because a new patch comes out, don't fear the patch. Just play it and help hunt bugs, rather than accusing Squad of bad programming. Or, if you rather not deal with it, then sure, just wait it out. But it might be a month or two.

But sure, paying money for a new patch that could be more buggy now, than in a month? If you're tight on funds, sure, wait. If not? Live a little!