Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 6/2/2019 at 7:25 AM, LameLefty said:

Shuttle used them, the SpaceX Falcon 9 uses them to run the grid fins for landing, and I'd be utterly shocked if Dream Chaser doesn't use them too, but I'm not particularly familiar with its design. Point being, hydraulic systems offer very high torque and response speed for very low energy input. The trade-off, of course, is the weight and complexity of the plumbing, but risks of leaks and pressure failures. 

There are always trades. *shrug*

Well, yes, Shuttle is also over 40? 50? years old. Actuator tech has come a long way. We tend towards simpler designs because reliability is key for us, but we also don't have the torque or speed requirements of something like a grid fin (motor pistons are not fast). Motors (and power) are also probably pretty heavy for something like a grid fin actuator, despite being a lot simpler. So I can see where that makes sense.

anyone else seen bugs in the surface experiments, some of mine keep turning themselves off.

I have 3 experiments and 1 control module about 2km form the KSC they have 6x solar modules, but I keep finding that the experiments have turned themselves off and it's not transmitting back.

I'm in science mode.

So far I'm tempted to install KIS/KAS and SEP as it was more reliable..

Otherwise I've found surface features and played with robotics and they're really rather good.. so I'm pleased with 2/3rds of the DLC...

welp. having thoroughly tried out the robotics now i have to say its pretty easy and adds a lot to the stock game ^_^ so I'm pretty happy! 

My first impression is rather mediorce. 

Counterintuitive interface for surface experiments placement. Solar module unnecessary, you need rtg anyway to power experiments trough the night. Additional battery pack, and using standard electric charge mechanics would make so much more sense. 

Now off to playing with robotics. 

Edited by ZAJC3W

44 minutes ago, ZAJC3W said:

My first impression is rather mediorce. 

Counterintuitive interface for surface experiments placement. Solar module unnecessary, you need rtg anyway to power experiments trough the night. Additional battery pack, and using standard electric charge mechanics would make so much more sense. 

Now off to playing with robotics. 

SEP does this better and the KAS features having to pug them together (and/or to a craft with power) makes a lot of sense

2 hours ago, bunjatec said:

SEP does this better and the KAS features having to pug them together (and/or to a craft with power) makes a lot of sense

SEP is abandanoed by it's authors so I expect it to cease working at some future update. And the need to attach things is quite glitchy 

I've noticed a lot of complaining about bugs in here, which is fine.  But you're doing everybody a disservice by only talking about them in this thread.  Go down to the BG sub forum and find an existing thread or open a new thread on these topics.   It will be much easier for the devs to find issues when there is a thread for each bug. 

3 hours ago, ZAJC3W said:

Solar module unnecessary, you need rtg anyway to power experiments trough the night. Additional battery pack, and using standard electric charge mechanics would make so much more sense. 

It's not how we do things in Real Life (tm). RTGs are only used at last resource due its price and risk of contamination when the rocket decides to go to Unexpected Instantaneous Disassembly Events, usually following a Lithobreaking On The Wrong Celestial Body scenarios (usually somewhere near the Launchpad).

It's cheaper to add some batteries and charge them on daylights and do the science with the sparing energy - unless you are way far from the Sun.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, LekkoBot said:

Just a question, do deployed sciences work once per planet or once per biome?

Once per planet, unfortunately.

I think they should change that... At least for the weather station

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I think they should change that... At least for the weather station

And the seismometer.

More experimentation on deployed science reveals that, even when not in time warp, they work VERY slowly.  I left KSP running and focused on my deployed Mun experiments for 10 hours while I was at work, and when I got back, the progress on the experiments had only gone up by about 3%.  The requested ~40,000% of 50% of Mystery Goo science for the Mun is not going to happen any time soon (and by the time I even got to 50%, that request would probably read around 150,000% of 50% anyway).

11 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I've noticed a lot of complaining about bugs in here, which is fine.  But you're doing everybody a disservice by only talking about them in this thread.  Go down to the BG sub forum and find an existing thread or open a new thread on these topics.   It will be much easier for the devs to find issues when there is a thread for each bug. 

They're also helping inform purchase decisions, so I would argue they're not doing anyone a disservce, and quite teh opposite

On 6/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, SkyRender said:

I don't remember seeing this happen in any previous version, but mini-docking ports sometimes just sort of... bounce off each other now instead of actually docking.  Angle and speed are completely irrelevant, they'll just slam headfirst and then jettison the craft that should have docked away in a random direction at 0.5 to 2m/s.  It's weird, and annoying.

I've noticed this, too. The whole magnetic force thing is extremely overpowered and all these years it has been nothing but trouble.

44 minutes ago, DeepSlayLP said:

I don't seem to have a way to access the new suits. How are they unlocked?

I started a new save file and no new suits.

you have to press the coat hanger button next to the kerbal's name in the vab or sph

On 6/4/2019 at 5:16 PM, Lisias said:

It's not how we do things in Real Life (tm). RTGs are only used at last resource due its price and risk of contamination when the rocket decides to go to Unexpected Instantaneous Disassembly Events, usually following a Lithobreaking On The Wrong Celestial Body scenarios (usually somewhere near the Launchpad).

It's cheaper to add some batteries and charge them on daylights and do the science with the sparing energy - unless you are way far from the Sun.

That's my point, this DLC needs battery pack to allow experiments to run trough the night. As it is now solar panels in breaking ground DLC experiments pack are redundant/useless due to lack of energy storage device and lack of land-able celestial bodies without day/night cycle.

Edited by ZAJC3W

Maybe I just don't know how DLC is supposed to work anymore, but doesn't this seem like the kind of thing that should be in the base game? I haven't played Breaking Ground or Making History, but my impression from Making History was that, while it added new content, it was different enough from the base gameplay that most people wouldn't miss it too much if they didn't buy it. Though KSP has some parts inspired by those in real life, it wasn't ever meant to be a historical recreation. That means that Making History fits into a nice niche that works well for DLC.

Breaking Ground seems like it adds some more fundamental gameplay aspects, especially the surface features and deployed science. In the last three major updates, (1.7, 1.6, 1.5,) the biggest things the base game has gotten are quality-of-life updates like new suits, the delta-v calculator, and better maneuver nodes. Now, the next DLC comes out and it adds a ton of brand new functionality and depth that really goes with what the game already does. I could 100% back a completely robotics focused DLC - since KSP has never had that - but the deployable science and especially the surface features are just better extensions of what we already have, and should have been implemented in the base game.

I guess it's pretty effective at getting me to want to buy it, but is this going to be the future of KSP? Maybe I'm extrapolating too much from one DLC, but I'd rather not see all new content from here on be behind a paywall in what is already a P2P game.

My impressions after playing for a week of Career Hard:

A few days ago I used my first hinges to get relay sats out of a cargo bay. It works perfectly and the controls for the robotics are intuitive enough. Good so far!

I just finished my first "flags and footprints" manned Mun mission, and I added the new science experiments to my lander this time.  Just the goo, solar, and experiment control since I'm early in the tech tree.

The DLC has, for me, solved the problem of "not enough to do on the surface" at least so far. I got Valentina and Bob out to plant flags, take surface samples, and write EVA reports as per usual. Normally that's not really enough to do and the surface visit feels strangely unsatisfying, but this time I had fun having Bob unpack all the science modules and set them up on the surface. It's just enough work to feel like I did something, and not too much as to be tedious. And now I have science-over-time generation going for me :) Excellent!

This is just my opinion, but I think Squad hit a home run with this DLC. I'm looking forward to playing with more robotics, especially for making surface base building easier, rock hunting and surface features with rovers, and the new impactor experiment later in this career save. I think between base building, the new ground experiments, rock hunting/surface features, and the already-in-game ISRU, there's plenty to do on the surface now.

I know that not everyone feels this positive about the DLC but personally I'm very, very happy. Great job, devs, and thank you so much for what you've made here!

On 6/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, BigPapaGD said:

Do you know which mods exactly were causing it? I'm having the same issue and don't want to uninstall all my mods if I don't have to.

Yeah, as I said :Turned out to be Kerbal Joint Reinforcement,"