Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 6/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, Tirehtoori R.I.P said:

Alrighty here is my latest Masterpiece "succesfull Design" that actually works properly :,D  BWOOOM!!!!  im now able to get smooth movement with these robotic parts 

:mad: This is the kind of post that makes me want to quit playing because I know I will never be able to make anything half as cool. 

On 6/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, Tirehtoori R.I.P said:

Alrighty here is my latest Masterpiece "succesfull Design" that actually works properly :,D  BWOOOM!!!!  im now able to get smooth movement with these robotic parts 

That is truly horrible!!!
And I mean that as the best of compliments... 

Outstanding!!!!!!

Does anyone else have huge framerate issues on Mün surface? I'm getting <3 fps. If make Jeb leave the lander, it goes well after 400 m, but when I approach to 200 m, framerate plummets again.

I think it has something to do with surface scatter. I tried disabling it entirely, and it still shows. It's more plentiful after installing this DLC and there are obvious issues with it in my case.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:04 PM, sp1989 said:

Has anyone actually found green sandstone on Minmus yet? I am starting to think it doesn't exist.

It exist, but its so rare that there may be 3 or 4 on the entire planet. I consider this a bug. They are only really findable using cheats. This might make sense in a late game scenario, but its generally the first or one of the first such type contracts offered and totally messes up gameplay flow.

3 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

It exist, but its so rare that there may be 3 or 4 on the entire planet. I consider this a bug. They are only really findable using cheats. This might make sense in a late game scenario, but its generally the first or one of the first such type contracts offered and totally messes up gameplay flow.

They just need to be made findable from scanning from orbit using a  probe with Kerbnet.  Should also say as such in the contract. “Our initial data indicates these objects are somewhat rare and you may have better luck finding one by scanning from orbit using Kerbnet” or something to that effect.

Has anybody seen this?  Having freshly downloaded KSP 1.7.1 and Breaking Ground 1.0.0, I'm getting an error: "You are running a version of KSP that its not compatible with the Breaking Ground Expansion, please go to the KSP Store and download the 1.7.2 version or above."

mNSEttb.png

WsKOxU7.png

Strangely, you'll notice that the setup title is v1.1.0, though.

Was some kind of mistake made recently in the distribution?

15 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

They just need to be made findable from scanning from orbit using a  probe with Kerbnet.  Should also say as such in the contract. “Our initial data indicates these objects are somewhat rare and you may have better luck finding one by scanning from orbit using Kerbnet” or something to that effect.

Hmm.  Mixed feelings about that...

Yes, some form of detection from a distance may be appropriate in some cases.  To be detectable from orbit It would need to be very big, or really stand out in some way (highly radio active compared to the other rock around it etc.)  Even extremely 'special' rocks on Earth or the Moon were found by someone 'wandering around' and noticing that they looked different, how special they were, or weren't, wasn't discovered until later when they analysed them.

By not being able to detect them the only way to find them is to 'go and look around', encouraging the use of rovers etc.  If they all showed up on Kerbnet then that would much be less of a thing to do.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Hmm.  Mixed feelings about that...

Yes, some form of detection from a distance may be appropriate in some cases.  To be detectable from orbit It would need to be very big, or really stand out in some way (highly radio active compared to the other rock around it etc.)  Even extremely 'special' rocks on Earth or the Moon were found by someone 'wandering around' and noticing that they looked different, how special they were, or weren't, wasn't discovered until later when they analysed them.

By not being able to detect them the only way to find them is to 'go and look around', encouraging the use of rovers etc.  If they all showed up on Kerbnet then that would much be less of a thing to do.

Maybe if just Kerbnet shows you the actual biome that the object actually exist in. The Contract specifies that they may be in one of several biomes, Kerbnet could confirm that yes, this rock in in This particular plain/crater/etc, perhaps with some density estimate as well.

Edited by mindstalker

2 hours ago, mkosmo said:

Has anybody seen this?  Having freshly downloaded KSP 1.7.1 and Breaking Ground 1.0.0, I'm getting an error: "You are running a version of KSP that its not compatible with the Breaking Ground Expansion, please go to the KSP Store and download the 1.7.2 version or above."

mNSEttb.png

Strangely, you'll notice that the setup title is v1.1.0, though.

Was some kind of mistake made recently in the distribution?

According to Steam they updated Breaking Ground a few hours ago, and the base game a few minutes ago.  Try redownloading.

Edited by mindstalker

On 6/9/2019 at 11:50 PM, lajoswinkler said:

Does anyone else have huge framerate issues on Mün surface? I'm getting <3 fps. If make Jeb leave the lander, it goes well after 400 m, but when I approach to 200 m, framerate plummets again.

I think it has something to do with surface scatter. I tried disabling it entirely, and it still shows. It's more plentiful after installing this DLC and there are obvious issues with it in my case.

Try a new save

1 hour ago, mindstalker said:

According to Steam they updated Breaking Ground a few hours ago, and the base game a few minutes ago.  Try redownloading.

That didn't work for me -- Same issues.

It looks like 1.7.2 is uploaded for standalone download if you directly browse for it, and I was able to download that and get Breaking Ground to work.

1 hour ago, mindstalker said:

Maybe if just Kerbnet shows you the actual biome that the object actually exist in. The Contract specifies that they may be in one of several biomes, Kerbnet could confirm that yes, this rock in in This particular plain/crater/etc, perhaps with some density estimate as well.

Something along those lines would make sense.

Orbital surveys could maybe indicate biomes.  And Narrow Band Scanners could be a bit less vague and highlight a more localised general area, but without neccesarily pinpointing exactly where stuff is.

Doing a bit of testing with variable geometry wings. I want to fit a Mk2 type spaceplane in a fairing (so as to eliminate it causing lift and tipping the rocket on takeoff)

It flies, but kind of ungracefully, the hinges wobble the wings a bit with control movement; any idea on how to eliminate this? I was thinking a welding mod but all seem to be outdated.

0ece7e3fb7.jpgT

20 hours ago, mkosmo said:

That didn't work for me -- Same issues.

It looks like 1.7.2 is uploaded for standalone download if you directly browse for it, and I was able to download that and get Breaking Ground to work.

Ok, I saw on the steam db that it the game and expansion was updated, but I still don't see either updates actually available to my client? Is this a slow rollout?

10 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

Ok, I saw on the steam db that it the game and expansion was updated, but I still don't see either updates actually available to my client? Is this a slow rollout?

You are looking at the wrong branch. The public branch hasn’t been updated in 13 days (the DLC release). The scratch pad branches have been yesterday, so I am guessing a patch is coming “soon”. 

12 hours ago, CactusLynx said:

Doing a bit of testing with variable geometry wings. I want to fit a Mk2 type spaceplane in a fairing (so as to eliminate it causing lift and tipping the rocket on takeoff)

It flies, but kind of ungracefully, the hinges wobble the wings a bit with control movement; any idea on how to eliminate this? I was thinking a welding mod but all seem to be outdated.

0ece7e3fb7.jpgT

Not much you can do unless Squad provides more rigid parts (if possible in Unity) or a modder figures out a fix somehow.

8 hours ago, MechBFP said:

You are looking at the wrong branch. The public branch hasn’t been updated in 13 days (the DLC release). The scratch pad branches have been yesterday, so I am guessing a patch is coming “soon”. 

Not much you can do unless Squad provides more rigid parts (if possible in Unity) or a modder figures out a fix somehow.

A few changes and it works quite well despite the wobbling, i'd rather use a spaceplane with a big cabin than stacking multiple capsules to do flyarounds the mun, minmus, and kerbin to train kerbonauts and pull money from tourists.

478312e88d.png

Rotational servos?? Am I still asleep somehow, or did I just log on and find out that we're finally getting hinges...and maybe even (gasp) a way to make propellers? And the Easter eggs are actually going to be good for something besides taking screenshots? I'm not sure I can handle this...

Edited by herbal space program

On 6/13/2019 at 12:01 PM, herbal space program said:

Rotational servos?? Am I still asleep somehow, or did I just log on and find out that we're finally getting hinges...and maybe even (gasp) a way to make propellers? And the Easter eggs are actually going to be good for something besides taking screenshots? I'm not sure I can handle this...

Hahaha! Where've you been? Breaking Ground has been out for two weeks!

OK, my new favorite thing in my current career mode save is the seismic experiment. It takes work to set it up on the ground, but I have a bunch of older landers from earlier in the tech tree as well as empty orbital refueling tankers to crash into Mun and Minmus. On my first impact, I sorta accidentally did it at night and my seismic experiment was unpowered :lol: facepalm! Next impact was about 2km from the site at high speed, probably 1500 m/s. I actually yelled "hell yeah!" out loud and it generated over 200 science points! Muhuhahaha!

Disposing old spacecraft has never been this fun.