Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

10 hours ago, Shogun Gunshow said:

All I know is the second I attach anything to servos they suddenly stop working at all. They'll shudder slightly and change orientation maybe 1 degree when the target angle passes its current angle, but it otherwise stays rigid.

i know this problem and can help with it too, If that happens in Editor, how about not being in the Custom action section when moving robotic parts :D And if that happens During in game "sequence" that just means the sequence lenght is too short and just goes wobble wobble wobble and will not do the wanted sequence, just raise the sequence lenght by second or 2. Not sure if this was the problem you described but anyway :,D

Anyone else have the Debug Menu options in 1.7.2 that show ROC science locations crush their physics update rate? When active my frame rate stays constant, but the game clock goes yellow and it's taking 10 second of real time per 1 second of game time.

26 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Why do you have an inventory without breaking ground though?

All the code changes for BG were installed with the base game installation including the cargo system, this way modders can use the new features if they want. The DLC pack just adds the parts and art assets to make use of them.

Does the SPRT Medium Scanning Arm break the height of anybody else's rocket height in career mode?

• Height of my Minmus Lander, including a rover on a robotic deplyment arm = 11.8 metres 
  • Height of my Minmus Lander when I add the SPRT Medium Scanning Arm to the front of the rover = 56.1 metres :o

That can't be right, surely?

Note: It appears to change the craft height to 56.1 metres no matter where I add the arm, either to the rover or the body of the lander...

11 hours ago, Chciko said:

As a guy that has no money for big beef cake pc's.   Do u think this will ever be comeing to the console version?

Hopefully at some point. The big thing that stops SQUAD/Blitworks from bringing new updates/DLCs to console immediately is the lengthy certification process that Sony/Microsoft makes all games go through on a new release. I’m pretty sure the devs aren’t giving you the cold shoulder :)

Anyone have hard numbers on the new stuff? like show much Mass/Speed/Number of Impactors affect the data output of the Grand Slam Seismometer?

I also see on the wiki that better engineers make the power units stronger,  and every science experiment says "Please allow trained Scientists to deploy for best results", I'm wondering what levels give what bonuses?

Humans, be aware of this :

The incredibly useful feature of locking does not work:

One would wish to lock the position as it massively increases the stability of the joint.  A joint that is flapping around suddenly becomes useful once "Locked" is applied. If "Locked" actually worked.

Observe :

This issue is useful for the other forum denizens to be aware of, such that I have reposted from the technical support forum.

Edited by Gavin786

On 6/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, Shogun Gunshow said:

All I know is the second I attach anything to servos they suddenly stop working at all. They'll shudder slightly and change orientation maybe 1 degree when the target angle passes its current angle, but it otherwise stays rigid.

This was happening to me when I was using the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. Once I uninstalled it the problem went away.

* HAVE NOW SOLVED THIS BUG(above, locking bug) It is caused by : AUTOSTRUTS

Disable autostruts on any parts which are having this behavour.  Its is a VERY frustrating bug as none of your designs will work right if you autostrut them!

Gavin786

On 6/23/2019 at 6:34 PM, proteasome said:

Try removing autostruts from the offending parts.  I had exact same problem and it has solved it.

Now I finally got the breaking ground parts to work(by disabling autostruts) I was able to build a really nice gimbol for this ship which dispenses with the need for RCS on planet landing.  It works beautifully.

DA121D95692716006B3C2E4E93B62776AAD892AF

3FF7732E8757643831015AFD6A75A2BE58312B33

521FB9377A6EC0F3D194EB7E591A81E42CE78183

Edited by Gavin786

22 hours ago, dxeh said:

So how does one make good rover suspension using Hydraulics.. Having issues with the hydraulics not being "strutted" to the parts attached to it.. and Autostrut breaks the dampers.

I use servos instead. They work as damped springs better than hydraulics.

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I use servos instead. They work as damped springs better than hydraulics.

yea but that way they only really work when you have, lets say, a beam with wheels on both ends and the servo in the middle. But than it's more of a rotational spring than a actual dampin spring. 

I might understand it wrong otherwise, and if so, can you show a screenshot of what yo mean

45 minutes ago, dxeh said:

yea but that way they only really work when you have, lets say, a beam with wheels on both ends and the servo in the middle. But than it's more of a rotational spring than a actual dampin spring

I might understand it wrong otherwise, and if so, can you show a screenshot of what yo mean

I use them for bogie or solid-axle suspensions. I haven't seen the need yet for independent suspension because the wheels come with their own springs and using other parts as wheels isn't really feasible because they blow up so easily.

I have made sprung landing skids with hydraulic pistons however, and they work fine.

3 hours ago, Gavin786 said:

Disable autostruts on any parts which are having this behavour.  Its is a VERY frustrating bug as none of your designs will work right if you autostrut them!

I've found that if you do use autostruts for hinged or rotational parts, set them to grandparent for all parts after the hinge or motor doesn't cause a problem. If you set them to root or heaviest part will stall the hinge or motor.

I've been doing some work with my Kerbal Actuators mod and creating servo parts out of my single-part Mk1 Station arm:

DkNhuB2.png

9eLDiRI.png

I added a "snapshot" plugin helper to the KAL-1000 so that I can move the arm's servos around via axis/action group, then "play" the snapshot to return the arm to its stored position. It works great, except that the servo joints are very bendy and I haven't figured out why. I've copied the config nodes from the small servo motor but I'm quite new to the Breaking Ground robotics, so I don't know how or even if I can tighten up the joints. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 4:44 PM, Tonka Crash said:

Anyone else have the Debug Menu options in 1.7.2 that show ROC science locations crush their physics update rate? When active my frame rate stays constant, but the game clock goes yellow and it's taking 10 second of real time per 1 second of game time.

I have noticed that too. I thought at first it was one of my mods that was causing it (might be, haven't figured out which though), but I noticed that picking up the nearby Mun rock made the issue go away - until I approached a new ROC science location

Is there any way to cut down on the Ground Science message spam? I'm tied of having to delete 10+ messages, each telling me I have 0.004 more science from Mystery Goo on the Mun.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, CompB said:

Is there any way to cut down on the Ground Science message spam? I'm tied of having to delete 10+ messages, each telling me I have 0.004 more science from Mystery Goo on the Mun.

Wait for a patch. I think Squad is on vacation at the moment. 

On 7/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, MechBFP said:

Wait for a patch. I think Squad is on vacation at the moment. 

Nice, Regarding the ground experiments, I know high level scientists give science equipment an buff and engines give solar panels and deployable rtg an buff equal to his level who is very nice as an level 3 enginer give power to run 3 parts so you only need two to run all experiments. 
Is it any benefits for the antenna and the control station. 

Idk if this is a question I have to ask Blitworks, but when will this DLC be uploaded to console? If you can’t answer exactly, like with the Making History DLC can you give an approximate release date, like a month, season or even something like how early or late in the year?