Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

I have to say that after quite a bit of messing around with the parts, this DLC is the single best thing to happen to KSP.

Nun23yZ.png

eghX74L.png

Now if only i could actually make a viable 2 legged walker mech thing that stops flipping over and actually goes faster then 20m/s...

On 8/6/2019 at 5:24 AM, AVaughan said:

20 m/s is 72 kph (or 45 miles per hour), which is quite a respectable walking speed for anything.

But, but, but....

A SSTO does 1000m/s easy, 20m/s is insignificant when you want to get from 1 side of duna to the other...

Itd take me forever to get any mech from my military complex on duna to the city im currently in the process of making, the city being at the very top of the largest valley, and the base being at the very bottom...

q9VbUSW.png

Maybee i should just do what any sane person does and just carry land vehicles on a dropship or something...  Especially since we have props and nolonger need to waste absurd amounts of fuel on duna at least.

@panzer1b What is the location of your base? I'm asking because it's really hard to find such flat terrain on Duna.

Also from my tests I've found out that breaking ground propellers don't seem to work that well on Duna. I couldn't get the plane to go faster than 100m/s and that was at low altitudes usually below 1000m, at about 3000m plane couldn't even move fast enough to takeoff from the ground.

2 hours ago, _Rade said:

@panzer1b What is the location of your base? I'm asking because it's really hard to find such flat terrain on Duna.

Also from my tests I've found out that breaking ground propellers don't seem to work that well on Duna. I couldn't get the plane to go faster than 100m/s and that was at low altitudes usually below 1000m, at about 3000m plane couldn't even move fast enough to takeoff from the ground.

Its at the very top of valley, this spot here...

iXtzEKt.png

Ive found the valleys to be much more friendly to massive towers, although i have replaced the tower with a new design (same part count, much taller and still got plenty of detailing on it...

KlF76i2.png

So yeah, about as flat as ur going to get on duna at least, had some difficulty landing this monstrosity (if you dont time the burn just right you will never land it where you want to land it), but eventually got it where it needed to go (and its 400tons, so the 8 or so large reaction wheels sticking out of the backside are useless (i honestly used them more for asthetics then anything else).

kqBDW3U.png

Really like the ground up view this thing has, makes it look way way taller then it really is when you see it from afar.  Currently taller then VAB though, so even then its no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, any idea where i can get good tips and tricks for using robotic parts and expansion of action groups? I checked youtube but there is literally one weak tutorial how to use them.

Any other sources? In-game tutorials?? Forum page that i cannot find? (as usual)

Btw i am so happy for this update. I bought it right immediately after realizing that it has been released

Edited by papuchalk

After updating game with the Breaking Ground expansion, i am still playing my previous game save. All works fine, except i cannot find any surface features on Minmus.

I spent 30 minutes driving, must have been 15-20 kilometers of driving on two landing sites, and i didnt find a single Sandstone or Olivine.

Is it possible that with older saves of the game the new feature is not working ?

4 hours ago, papuchalk said:

After updating game with the Breaking Ground expansion, i am still playing my previous game save. All works fine, except i cannot find any surface features on Minmus.

I spent 30 minutes driving, must have been 15-20 kilometers of driving on two landing sites, and i didnt find a single Sandstone or Olivine.

Is it possible that with older saves of the game the new feature is not working ?

After you do the ''fix'' hit alt+12, there is a cheat option to locate the features to see if its working without having to drive around.

Here is a good post about it:

Edited by Boyster

So i found the surface feature. brought rover with scanning arm

and it scanned zero science. Whaaat ? : )

does it need scientist to be near?  All that fun was for no benefit? 

Ooops must be because i tried in sandbox game..??

mUPDhTN.png

Edited by papuchalk

I am not sure how Sandbox works.

You could always play normal Career to enjoy the game with all the features(Missions, Science etc)

and use Alt+F12 to give yourself money or science or just upgrade everything.

You can move your crafts to the new save but i am afraid all the other progress might not be trasferable.

Edited by Boyster

So i found the surface feature. brought rover with scanning arm

and it scanned zero science. Whaaat ? : )

does it need scientist to be near?  All that fun was for no benefit? 

mUPDhTN.png

Correct, you don’t get science in a sandbox game. Only in career or science mode. 

Sandbox game was the fastest way how i could try it at work. Didnt know science doesnt work there, as i dont play sandbox usually.

In Career mode it worked fine. 30 points of science, pretty good. Like mystery goo

Edited by papuchalk

@SQUAD ummm you ever gonna release sounds for propellers or their engines?  That's kind of a big part of prop planes and helicopters and all we've got is *crickets*

That's like releasing only 80% of a package.  That last 20% is pretty important to immersion.

Attaching two or more ground vehicles together on Kerbin results in random motions on the resultant vehicle. This makes any complex buildings unfeasible. I did not invest more time seeing if the same phenomena occurs in orbit or on other astral bodies. This should be seen as a somewhat critical bug as the main reason I bough the expansion was to make complex dynamic structures and or vehicles, which becomes impossible with this bug as the effect amplifies with more objects until vehicles destroy themselves. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, removed all mods, and the problem persists on the basic install (i.e. sans mods). 

12 hours ago, Bobbert said:

Attaching two or more ground vehicles together on Kerbin results in random motions on the resultant vehicle.

So how are you attaching the vehicles together?

Is this a case of a case of physics (or perhaps autostruts) shaking the vehicle apart?  Or misaligned wheels trying to pull the assembly apart?  Or something else entirely?

Seriously if you want to see a bug get fixed, then you need to describe what you did in enough detail that someone else reproduce the issue.  (Preferably with pictures of the vehicles involved and/or craft files/save games). 

12 hours ago, AVaughan said:

So how are you attaching the vehicles together?

Is this a case of a case of physics (or perhaps autostruts) shaking the vehicle apart?  Or misaligned wheels trying to pull the assembly apart?  Or something else entirely?

Seriously if you want to see a bug get fixed, then you need to describe what you did in enough detail that someone else reproduce the issue.  (Preferably with pictures of the vehicles involved and/or craft files/save games). 

Attaching via docking port or docking port junior results in this behavior. Doesn't matter how slow the approach, certainly shouldn't be an issue with physics, and yes, I'm too lazy to take screenshots. To be perfectly honest, it should have been one of the first checklist items from QA: does it work on Kerbin? No? Ah well, might work in space so we can ship it out just fine. To be more detailed on this rather obvious bug, let's go to Gherkin mode:

Background:

No exact names of vehicles components will be named

Given I have a ground vehicle on Kerbin

And the vehicle has at least 8 large wheels

And the vehicle has a large horizontal surface area 

And the vehicle has significant mass

And I start from the airstrip

And drive off the airstrip

When I spawn another vehicle to connect to the aforementioned vehicle 

And I spawn the vehicle on the airstrip

And drive off the airstrip with the newly spawned vehicle 

And connect the vehicles together

Then the resulting composite vehicle shakes and wobbles 

Scenarios 

same spawned vehicle

different modifications on the same platform

completely different vehicles

small vehicles with more chained together (i.e. 3 or more) 

ports aligned with direct connection

ports aligned with robotic attachments

unaligned ports with robotic attachments

with all robotic mechanisms powered

with no robotic mechanisms powered

with some robotic mechanisms powered 

all wheels motorize (i.e. motor on)

no wheels motorized (i.e. motors off)

some wheels motorized (i.e. some on and some off)

with brakes on 

with brakes off

vehicles with electric charge 

vehicles without electric charge

(probably more)

On 5/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, Stone Blue said:

Soooo... I just got BG from the KSP Store... its my first KSP DLC...

I got an .exe file... run it, and it keeps telling me KSP isnt installed in this folder....

how do non-Steam users install this? My KSP install is in a non-C: drive folder... on a different partition...
PLEEEEZZZEEEEE tell me this installer *DOES NOT* require a C:/ProgramFiles install :mad:

and before anyone ssays anything, I have just about *every* mod ever made for KSP on my HDD, and I *DO* know how to manually install them *all* ... ;)

Hey Mr. Blue,

It needs to go inside your Kerbal Space Program folder, go to Game Data and setup a folder called SquadExpansion. Paste the update in this folder and you should be good to go! The DLC is called Serenity for me, so not sure if that's right as the Making History DLC is in a folder in the same SquadExpansion folder called MakingHistory. Don't think there are other files elsewhere but I could be wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Unusual glitch:  KSP 1.7.3  (with mods; Hyper Edit, BD Armory, Physics Range Extender, Mechjeb, B9 Aerospace standard and legacy, Throttle Controlled Avionics)

I am creating what amounts to a solar sail in look, not in function (it actually uses an ION thrust). I have sets of I-beams attached by the small hinge, the G-00, I don't know if it matters which hinge I use but I've noticed this problem so far only in this small hinge. Now here's where the glitch comes in. I launch the craft into orbit (in order to expedite trouble shooting/testing/prototyping I use Hyper Edit, sue me) and press my action group to extend all solar panels and toggle all hinges. I set the maximum angle to 90 when folded and stowed and the minimum to 0 when fully extended , so when I toggle everything back into its folded/stowed position, I expect it to be all nice and flush, but that's not what I get. Instead, one of the hinges is treating some random 39.7 angle as its new max angle, the hinge won't go past that angle, but it will certainly extend out to 0 degrees in the fully extended position and this is when I toggle using the action group key, and when I manually change the target angle at the slider. It's always the same two hinges, and the same angle. I've tried running it through its range of motion but it will not go past that 39.7 number. I continue to trouble shoot as I write this post, I've also noticed the "fully extended" position isn't truly 0, it is in fact -4.5, and this is after the whole thing stops oscillating in response to the extension.  

This problem has manifested itself once before when I tried to create a probe/rig thing that basically resembled the human figure in an effort to recreate the way Iron Man flies. I had the rig position itself in one way for hovering, and in another way for forward flight. One of the hip joints refused to go past some random angle, same problem, and this one was particularly annoying because the whole rig position became asymmetrical, forcing it into a procession, on top of that, the shoulder up/down joints didn't respond at all to the toggle key even after I reset the toggle several times in the editor, however that wasn't as big a deal as the leg. I speculate this has something to do with hinges that are attached in chains either directly or indirectly to other hinges, as none of the hinges with the problem appear to be attached directly to the root part. 

Thank you in advance to anyone with insight into this issue :D

P.S. Link to the images on Imgur https://imgur.com/a/acuPq8x

Edited by Ben The Starsailorman

55 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum @Ben The Starsailorman,

The forum itself does not host images so you need to upload pictures to an image hosting service like imgur and then link to them here. This great post explains the process:

I did try that and the upload box makes the text field turn red when I try the image URL from imgur

• 3 months later...