Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Rotors aren't ideal for propellers, but I got a quadcopter up to about 2km before the battery ran out. Don't think I'm going to be able to live out my fantasy of lifting a rocket into Eve's upper atmosphere though.

EDIT: Hmmm, tweaked the rotor blades a bit to get more lift and slapped some more batteries on, got up to 5km easy. Might be hope for this thing yet. Quadcopters are definitely doable with the rotors. Now I just have to figure out how to steer.

Edited by Opus_723

13 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion is now available on Steam, the KSP Store,  and will soon be available on GOG and other third party resellers.

Woot, congrats on the release..  already downloaded but at work so can't try it just yet.

KSP itself has also been updated to 1.7.1.. Release Notes please?

2 hours ago, Opus_723 said:

Rotors aren't ideal for propellers, but I got a quadcopter up to about 2km before the battery ran out. Don't think I'm going to be able to live out my fantasy of lifting a rocket into Eve's upper atmosphere though.

EDIT: Hmmm, tweaked the rotor blades a bit to get more lift and slapped some more batteries on, got up to 5km easy. Might be hope for this thing yet. Quadcopters are definitely doable with the rotors. Now I just have to figure out how to steer.

What if you stacked the rotors, giving twice (or even more!) the spin speed?

Just now, Nightside said:

Is there a 1.7.1 changelog posted somewhere? I can’t tell if the kerbal part inventory is stock or DLC...

The changelog for all stock versions is in the main KSP directory inside readme.txt

I'm holding off on the new DLC, but the changelog for Making History DLC is in readme.txt in \GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory\

13 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

The changelog for all stock versions is in the main KSP directory inside readme.txt

I'm holding off on the new DLC, but the changelog for Making History DLC is in readme.txt in \GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory\

There are changelogs for BG and 1.7.1 posted on the wiki, but with contradictory information regarding the inventory. I haven’t bothered to update yet so I guess I will just go do that.

20 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

True, but official release announcements with changelog often go into more detail than the readme.

i have some little problem when i want to dock with a robotic arm . that explode . how can i do to do this safe ?

is not possible to use throttle key (maj,ctrl,w,x) as the rotation and translation key ? (i want to use the throttle jauge on the navsphere to my propeler. i want to do this with my wheels for choose vitess) .the dlc is soo cool ! thanks @SQUAD

Edited by jojo5144

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Question. Can one link the rotor speed to throttle? I can't find out how to do that.

No. I saw it being repeated on Twitch streams that it'll come in an update, but I can't quote a dev on that, just hearsay.  For the meantime, assign motor torque or RPM to a translation axis, or rover wheel throttle.  Or mount the prop blades on servos, run the motors at max, and use blade pitch from say 0-30 degrees as throttle (aka helicopter style)

2 minutes ago, Vince_K said:

download the new DLC...and now the game just don't load...realy cool.... Another week to wait,to check on the forum, to reinstal, to find the trouble....yéééééé!!!!! :mad:

ya need help?

possibly uninstall all mods.

also, are you a steam user?

5 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

CB == Celestial Body. I read that as meaning eclipse shadows....

Or not. Unless it’s just borked. 

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

EDIT: Sadly it doesn't do what I thought it would: Enable eclipse shadows. Oh well :)

Nope. :( 

I guess it’s possible it just doesn’t work (not the first broken thing in this expansion), but now I’m curious if it does something else.

48 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Question. Can one link the rotor speed to throttle? I can't find out how to do that.

Haha I just came here to ask that. I feel like that science dog meme picture. I have all this cool stuff but I have no idea what I'm doing with it.

Well, right out of the box there's an oversight with robotic parts - by altering a part's traverse rate, you can change how fast it moves to whatever target extension/angle you set. However, you can't change how fast *the keyboard input changes the target extension* - as a result, if you use robotic parts in the incremental control mode (where the part moves while a key is held), the parts can be made to move SLOWER than the default, but not faster.

EDIT: It applies to all robotic parts. How on earth did no one catch this?

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

1 hour ago, JERONIMO said:

ya need help?

possibly uninstall all mods.

also, are you a steam user?

I play this game since 2013...I know what I have to do...just tired to do it each time...I hope,maybe one day, I will finish the F!"/$ tech tree before an update broke everything.  And yes, I m a steam user and i have downloaded the DLC by myself...I did not think it was going to change the core game like that...

I would like to present my helicopter research.

It's hard to balance the rotor torque. I tried stacking three rotors on top of each other, the top two reversed, the outer ones with blades, but they wouldn't sync. So, I just had two separate rotors.

Oq9Mp4i.png

I present my first working (e.g. flyable, landable, won't explode under normal use) helicopter, the Helios III.

3YtPep3.png

YCPbEq8.png

23rnt7f.png

Can easily carry more weight, probably fuel for the fuel cells. Will do an altitude test in a minute once I add more fuel.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

What if you stacked the rotors, giving twice (or even more!) the spin speed?

I don't think that's going to work.  I believe Unity has a built-in rotational speed limit, i.e. it's physically impossible to rotate faster than a certain speed, and I believe that limit is something like 500 RPM.  The rotors are already pushing that.  If you try to stack them, I think you'll run into the Unity-rotational equivalent of the lightspeed limit.  Nothing the game can do about that.

Goodness knows I'm no Unity expert, so I might have gotten some of the details wrong, but I think that's in the ballpark.