UomoCapra

Kerbal Space Program: Breaking Ground Expansion - Grand Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Phreakish said:

Try disabling auto strut on your hinges. 

That worked, I now have no deployment problems. A bit strange behaviour though, even if the fix works. All not work would have made more sense, but random hinges not working as expected each scene load... wierd.

Thanks though for the tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

That worked, I now have no deployment problems. A bit strange behaviour though, even if the fix works. All not work would have made more sense, but random hinges not working as expected each scene load... wierd.

Thanks though for the tip.

So did you enable auto strut yourself, or did the game do it automatically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

So did you enable auto strut yourself, or did the game do it automatically?

It would have been me, not the game doing it automatically. It's not something I'd used until recently, but it helped with aircraft and boat stability when I went on my round Kerbin trip the last few months.

Edited by purpleivan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, purpleivan said:

It would have been me, not the game doing it automatically. It's not something I'd used until recently, but it helped with aircraft and boat stability when I went on my round Kerbin trip the last few months.

That’s good to know. Definitely a bug though. You should submit it and your video to the official bug tracker, as obviously autostruts should either always break the hinges from moving, or never, not randomly like you are seeing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Now that I've had a quick tinker with the new parts, here's what I said I'd make as soon as I had the new DLC.

It's a bit rough at sea (pulls to one side when using more than x2 physics warp) and it's a bit slow as a rover, but as a concept it does work.

Now that's pretty cool.  I wonder if there's a way to add ballast tanks to make a submarine rover?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, fourfa said:

So far, in real use the rotors aren't pushing close to the 460rpm game max. Especially not if you're getting useful amounts of lift or thrust from them.  I've found stacking two motors can help get a lot closer to that 460rpm max, without breaking the form factor and having to add nacelles.

More than 2 - so far it turns into a wiggly stack of jello for me.  I found one rudimentary way to stiffen it up here:

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/Kessna-Twin

With external struts to secure the loose end.

If they ever do officially make airplane rotors a part, seems like they could simply make them visually spin at some value lower then 500rpms while providing trust aerodynamic of a multiplier above that.  So visually going 500rpms but acting as if going 1500rpms.

Edited by mindstalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ace76inDC said:

Now that's pretty cool.  I wonder if there's a way to add ballast tanks to make a submarine rover?

why u need a ballast? look at this bbs.

accelerating underwater.

 

wnE6FRo.pngs

 

And this one is collects verryimportant Binformation.

vcnNnkE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

why u need a ballast? look at this bbs.

accelerating underwater.

Couple of reasons:

A: In case you want to go back up

B: pull a hazardish, build something epic, realize it wont go down

C: too lazy to design something that works well or efficiently (me) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Couple of reasons:

A: In case you want to go back up

B: pull a hazardish, build something epic, realize it wont go down

C: too lazy to design something that works well or efficiently (me) 

Problem a solution:

Engine off.

Problem b solution:
the new parts solve this with a SNAP. just use the goliath engine and the hinge things.

Problem c solution:

idk why i'm writing this i mean i shoudn't say it but there is a ballast thingy mod, but tbh the idea is cool. my thing is something i did in 10 minutes while drinking tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

Problem a solution:

Engine off.

Problem b solution:
the new parts solve this with a SNAP. just use the goliath engine and the hinge things.

Problem c solution:

idk why i'm writing this i mean i shoudn't say it but there is a ballast thingy mod, but tbh the idea is cool. my thing is something i did in 10 minutes while drinking tea.

Forgot point D:

In case you want to participate in the heresy that is LESS ENGINES or

E: you want to keep constant speed without having to fiddle with throttles or

F: You want to save fuel

And yeah, there is a ballast mod. Last I checked it was really finicky though :P

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Forgot point D:

In case you want to participate in the heresy that is LESS ENGINES or

E: you want to keep constant speed without having to fiddle with throttles or

F: You want to save fuel

huh, i'll see if i can solve this with rotors.

if this'll work.

but later

Edited by JERONIMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

G: no moving parts

but yeah rotor subs seem cool

u can just place tons of u know ore tanks with electric wheels????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

u can just place tons of u know ore tanks with electric wheels????

H: easily adjustable on the fly (ability to come back down required)

I: not a ridiculous amount of parts to ore

I do play with ore tanks a lot, and technically Ore does count as ballast.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

H: easily adjustable on the fly (ability to come back down required)

I: not a ridiculous amount of parts to ore

I do play with ore tanks a lot, and technically Ore does count as ballast.

so ore tanks have this one abillity, maybe u didn't notice but it's called throw away all ore.

If this is not your choise, i have something for you.

While it's slower than my submarine, it does meet the conditions, you can do it with 2 ore tanks but to speed it up i did 4.

Ladies and Gentelmen, I want to introduce you to Mightiestcondria!

12 parts! Ore tanks! Decouplers included! A parachute!!!

over -200m in under 3 minutes! 

vRnxOQv.png

Decoupled+Parachutes!

9XCLFjc.jpg

What's included: A probe x1

                            Batteries (1000 wats) x2

                            Parachute (big) x1

                            Decouplers x2

                            Ore tanks x4

                            Ore x1200

                            Air intake cones (optional) x2

What's not included:

                            science things.

                          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey is there a decent submarine mod out there or does the current buoyancy model make that hard/impossible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has gotten off topic quite quickly, lol. In any case throwing away all ore for individual tanks doesn't let you put the tanks/ore back on/in while under water, so no easy dive control.

 

On topic though, has anyone tried making counter rotating propellers yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

This has gotten off topic quite quickly, lol. In any case throwing away all ore for individual tanks doesn't let you put the tanks/ore back on/in while under water, so no easy dive control.

 

On topic though, has anyone tried making counter rotating propellers yet?

yeah it did, sorry.

but yes i did while trying to build my spinning station after 10 minutes of installing the mod.

also this is my great number post so see u in 10 years.

Edited by JERONIMO
i 100% did not edit this post. why u say i edited it forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

This has gotten off topic quite quickly, lol. In any case throwing away all ore for individual tanks doesn't let you put the tanks/ore back on/in while under water, so no easy dive control.

 

On topic though, has anyone tried making counter rotating propellers yet?

If you include copters in that, check out this one (not mine, just a great build):

https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-50-x2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my creation, low res sorry for dat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KSP Twitter highlighted a suit color customization vid... which really just highlights the limitations of the system (locked to male/female colors). Individual suit colors for my kerbals when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Jarin said:

KSP Twitter highlighted a suit color customization vid... which really just highlights the limitations of the system (locked to male/female colors). Individual suit colors for my kerbals when?

I do like the new suits but they should toss in 2 more colors and make it Orange = Original 4, Blue = Pilots, Red = Engineers, Green = Scientists.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Squad: Don't use these to make propellers.
Literally everyone: *makes propellers*

That's still the highlight for Breaking Ground for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I seem to have a problem with hinges. If I add any weight at all to a G-11 Hinge, or a G-12L Alligator Hinge, they stop moving. Mass-less parts like Cubic Octagonal Struts or a Communotron 16 work OK, but if a I swap it with a 16-S (0.015t) the hinges won't move.

Any ideas?

Never mind. I removed all my mods and it seems to work better. Now to figure out which one it is...

Edited by Phil deCube
Looks like it's a Mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Phil deCube said:

I seem to have a problem with hinges. If I add any weight at all to a G-11 Hinge, or a G-12L Alligator Hinge, they stop moving. Mass-less parts like Cubic Octagonal Struts or a Communotron 16 work OK, but if a I swap it with a 16-S (0.015t) the hinges won't move.

Any ideas?

Never mind. I removed all my mods and it seems to work better. Now to figure out which one it is...

Have you adjusted the torque?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.