Rational Resources 2.0.6 [Apr 02, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

16 minutes ago, EimajOzear said:

Did you replace the entire folder for Rational Resources or just added the patch from the extras?  If you go to GameData\RationalResourcesParts\CRP, you should see a file called RCS-Vernier.cfg.  If that isn't there, you will need to go back to Github and download the master again and replace RationalResources and RationalResourcesParts

3 minutes ago, hemeac said:

Did you replace the entire folder for Rational Resources or just added the patch from the extras?  If you go to GameData\RationalResourcesParts\CRP, you should see a file called RCS-Vernier.cfg.  If that isn't there, you will need to go back to Github and download the master again and replace RationalResources and RationalResourcesParts

I just installed the extra, that should be the issue. Thanks again for the help!

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@EimajOzear I created not only the Extra, but RCS-ColdGas.cfg (affects the cloned parts) and RCS-Vernier.cfg (affects the vernier) which are not extras and are in GameData\RationalResourcesParts\CRP as hemeac said.

Spoiler

(From RCS-Vernier.cfg)

get vac Isp number

IspASLH2 = 380
    IspVacH2 = 152

IspASLCH4 = 300
    IspVacCH4 = 170

Found it, thanks; they should be the other way around right? Vernier thrusters are just small rocket engines so you would expect a higher ISP value in vacuum.

I finally did this too. (Restore all-white as a variant option.) It was requested sometime ago actually. Now on GitHub.

The brown is still default. Let me know if that should change as well.

HMKnI91.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Two more concept engines are on their way:

My interpretation of the highly anticipated electric jet engine, the Microwave Air Plasma Thruster. I treat it as a rocket and not a turbojet as it does not make use of ram or turbojet behaviors to produce thrust. IntakeAir/IntakeAtm usage still subject to change.

p1Kihyw.jpgjxBOZml.jpg

And super-efficient SolidFuel Ramjet with two "Velocity Modes." Restart-able and can be throttled (down to 40%). The Airliner mode is inspired by known supersonic cruise missile tech and allows comfortable cruise speeds just under Mach 3. The primary Ascent Booster mode's specs (works up to Mach 5.6) and the whole actually cursed idea for this engine are thanks to @WarriorSabe (who also helped with the specs for the MAPT).

3bzhoKk.jpgttHHBK1.jpg

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

<snip>

Exciting stuff! Since 1.12 seems rapidly approaching, I've made a PR for some small changes on my fork. https://github.com/JadeOfMaar/RationalResources/pull/20. Also, @hemeac has added support for Grounded Modular Vehicles.

(I'm also really hyped about cruise missiles and whatever the ion jet might be useful for)

43 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

<fineprint>

The SFRJ has a caveat. It uses shock heating and ablation for its igniter so it needs to piggyback on something to get up to speed for that.

The ion jet might will be incredibly useful, actually. I'll need to be sure of the propellant usage so it's not automatically wildly OP. With its pictured stats above, I do believe it is. Once I get that right, any craft that uses it will need to include appropriate masses in fuel cells or fission reactors.

Spoiler

It will be useful for lightweight aerodynamic landers, passenger planes and small SSTOs. As it isn't a turbojet engine I don't believe it should have a mach limit so it will allow a craft to accelerate indefinitely, like an SSTO in RSS (ultimately, this is what it's meant for IRL) or a Jool-diver.

Regarding GEP's resource configs: GEP doesn't have RR configs / RR doesn't have GEP configs because I settled with @OhioBob that RR won't attempt to alter the placements made in it or GPP (which GEP originally follows after) which was the precursor project to RR. You will need to setup your RR configs as an Extras config including a patch to target the Tag values used by GEP, and delete the resource configs that use them.

That said, I never considered this new idea of treating GEP as an extension to JNSQ, rather than to GPP, and so finding justification in overriding GEP's configs. If he changes his mind for this new perspective then that's good. Otherwise, it'll have to be made optional to not step on his toes.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 5/31/2019 at 2:04 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

While this mod is installed, un-configured bodies will have no resources at all (except for less Ore than by default)

@JadeOfMaar, haven't looked too closely at patch ordering, but this was in the OP so a bit confused.  Does your mod strip out non-configured bodies and by extension modify GEP and GPP?  Haven't actually tested this, but could be an issue for me as GEP and RR are in my current save.  I'm comfortable enough on using your supplied templates to create my own or use @Clamp-o-Tron's configs.  No worries if GEP and GPP support is out of scope for the mod though.  In regards to Grounded support, if you are happy adding that in, I will clean up the pull request and resubmit.

@infinite_monkey Easily done. Should I provide this tank for the Mk3 and Mk4 Gojira bodies? ...Only the Mk4?

@hemeac Resources are placed at known planets according to their chosen templates. Then resources placed by the RNG are removed in a pseudo-final pass :FOR[zRationalResources]. That leaves non-configured planets with no resources as if CRP itself was not installed. GPP and GEP have resources placed in a would-be template system that preceded RR. They are tagged (by OhioBob and at his request) that RR does not override them when installed together. So as you said, " GEP and GPP support is out of scope." I'm happy with the Grounded support too. I'll accept that.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@infinite_monkey Easily done. Should I provide this tank for the Mk3 and Mk4 Gojira bodies? ...Only the Mk4?

Oh, totally forgot about those :D, I was talking about the Ghidorah. Not sure where to put them, I have no idea where they are on the real thing. Probably the interstage for the first stage. For the second stage, maybe the fairing adapter for cargo, and the decoupler for the Dragon versions?

About Gojira, I personally won't use Mk3 anymore, maybe other people do.

10 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That said, I never considered this new idea of treating GEP as an extension to JNSQ, rather than to GPP, and so finding justification in overriding GEP's configs. If he changes his mind for this new perspective then that's good. Otherwise, it'll have to be made optional to not step on his toes.

If you want to write RR configs for GPP and GEP that overwrites those that are packaged with those planet packs, I'd be OK with that.  I would just ask that it all be handled on the RR side so no changes to GPP and GEP are needed.  And, of course, if RR is not installed, then the GPP/GEP configs would govern.  I would also like you to use templates that are most like the resource distributions currently used (i.e. don't turn them into something they are not already).

@JadeOfMaar @infinite_monkey The current IRL version of starship will not use cold gas thrusters for RCS, will instead use tiny bipropellant thrusters using gaseous CH4 and O2.* Doing that in KSP would probably mean just using LqdMethane and Oxidizer.

I forgot that GPP and GEP had the RR system already implemented. I guess they have all the same resources. I'll kindly remove that from the pull request and just give you the hot Jupiter template if you don't want redundancy.

Also, does anyone know how to control spawning rates of types of ModuleAsteroid in stock?

*[Citation Needed]

Loving the new RCS patch, it's been a godsend on Duna! (Infinite CO2 from the atmosphere!!)

Sorry to be so demanding as I'm not sure how complicated or time-consuming these patches are;

Would to be possible to add nitrogen, CO2, etc variants to the smaller NTRs from Ven's revamp and Cryo Engines? (e.g. Shiba, Eel & Stubber)

If not, using tweakscale on the already modified NERV is fine, it's just that the proportions of the engine aren't to my personal tastes.

@EimajOzear It took me some time overall and quite some mental processing time but I made it happen. It includes an opt-in system all you have to do is tag compatible engines. Compatible meaning it cannot be multi-mode and must have only one propellant (preferably LqdHydrogen).

Welcome to the
RR Nuclear Family

Steps:

1. It checks for tagged parts.
  2. It clones these parts for the Oxidating Agent variants. (And adds them under the CCK RR tab.)
  3. It modifies the sourced parts for the Reducing Agent variants. (And adds them under the CCK RR tab.)
  4. It cleans up the arrays of keys that are used for scaling thrust and Isp. The thrust and Isp values given in the B9 tool-tips are calculated by MM and so are unique for any and every engine.

The config uses 3 engines from Kerbal Atomics for its demonstration.

8gNXvRi.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@EimajOzear I've updated the config to support (only the first mode of) multi-mode engines, such as that particular engine among those you named: the Stubber. The display name of the mode in the PAW helps to make it clear.

I've also added details about the coming engines to the GitHub wiki.

8ZLsa4t.jpg

eglhPoe.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...

Release 1.12.0

DOWNLOAD :: GitHub :: SpaceDock

• Added cold gas RCS thrusters with 9 RCS modes (including MonoPropellant).
  • Added patch for Hydrolox and Methalox to stock vernier LFO RCS. (Is not an extra.)
  • Added Extras:
    • RR_ColdGasRCSStock.cfg to add all cold gas options to all stock and Restock+ MonoPropellant RCS.
    • RR_NuclearFamily.cfg causes Reducing Agent and Oxidating Agent versions to appear for compatible NTRs. Simply tag such engines that you like. Insutructions in config. Can run stand-alone.
  • Added support for these in WBI Classic Stock.
  • Added support for GEP (Grannus Expansion Pack). Includes experiment blurbs. This may change later-on and upset landed mining vessels, with new templates that may come.
  • Added support for Grounded - Modular Vehicles.
  • Added template: AtmGasIV for use by some Hot Jool type planets. Produced by forum user: @Clamp-o-Tron
  • Added variant select for RR Ocean Scoop. Choose between: white + brown; all white.
  • Added engines:
    • MAPT "Microwave Air Plasma Thruster" built on stock J-20 Juno.
    • SFRJ "SolidFuel Ramjet" built on stock RT-10 Hammer SRB.
  • Renamed engines: water ion and hybrid SRBs. May break craft.
  • Updated Extras:
    • RR_TankswitchForSquad.cfg to not activate when Modular Fuel Tanks installed.