Rational Resources 2.0.4 [Feb 22, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

33 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

just shotgunning here, but do you have anything from WBI installed?... if so, check in there

I saw that too, but no I do not.

So I just added the resource config to my personal mods folder. testing it now.

11 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I cannot find an actual resource definition for "MetalOre" anywhere...

NOTHING I have installed, JNSQ, RationalResources, CRP, SimpleConstruction, nothing creates a resource called MetalOre.

IIRC metal ore comes with Extraplanetary Launchpads

Edited by juanml82

@TheKurgan Try this out. It adds SimpleConstruction's tank types.

Spoiler

// Replace zoreTanks.cfg
B9_TANK_TYPE:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack]
{
	name = RR_Ore
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ore
		unitsPerVolume = 0.2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_MetalOre
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = MetalOre
		unitsPerVolume = 1
	}
}
B9_TANK_TYPE:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,SimpleConstruction]
{
	name = RR_Metal
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Metal
		unitsPerVolume = 1
	}
}
B9_TANK_TYPE:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,SimpleConstruction]
{
	name = RR_RocketParts
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = RocketParts
		unitsPerVolume = 1
	}
}

{
	name = RR_Ammonia
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Ammonia
		unitsPerVolume = 2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_CarbonDioxide
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = CarbonDioxide
		unitsPerVolume = 2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_Hydrogen
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Hydrogen
		unitsPerVolume = 5
	}
}
{
	name = RR_Methane
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Methane
		unitsPerVolume = 2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_Nitrogen
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Nitrogen
		unitsPerVolume = 2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_Oxygen
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		unitsPerVolume = 2
	}
}
{
	name = RR_Water
	tankMass = 0
	tankCost = 0
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Water
		unitsPerVolume = 1
	}
}

@PART:HAS[@RESOURCE[Ore],!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack]
{
	refVolume = #$RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$
	@refVolume *= 5
	!RESOURCE[Ore] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
		moduleID = RRSwitch
		switcherDescription = Input Gases
		switchInFlight = True
		baseVolume = #$../refVolume$
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Ore
			tankType = RR_Ore
			title = Ore
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = MetalOre
			tankType = RR_MetalOre
			title = MetalOre
		}
		SUBTYPE:NEEDS[SimpleConstruction]
		{
			name = Metal
			tankType = RR_Metal
			title = Metal
		}
		SUBTYPE:NEEDS[SimpleConstruction]
		{
			name = RocketParts
			tankType = RR_RocketParts
			title = RocketParts
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Ammonia
			tankType = RR_Ammonia
			title = Ammonia
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = CarbonDioxide
			tankType = RR_CarbonDioxide
			title = CarbonDioxide
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Hydrogen
			tankType = RR_Hydrogen
			title = Hydrogen
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Methane
			tankType = RR_Methane
			title = Methane
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Nitrogen
			tankType = RR_Nitrogen
			title = Nitrogen
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Oxygen
			tankType = RR_Oxygen
			title = Oxygen
		}
		SUBTYPE
		{
			name = Water
			tankType = RR_Water
			title = Water
		}
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

@Tabris You'll have to open all the configs in GameData/RationalResources/CRP/ in a (preferably advanced) text editor, and change every instance of MetalOre to MetallicOre. You'll also want to add the following to GameData/RationalResources/CRP/zRecalibrateCRP.cfg for it to appear in SCANsat

@GLOBAL_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceType[0],#ResourceName[MetallicOre],~Tag[Spared]]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	Tag = Spared
	@Distribution
	{
		@PresenceChance = 0
		@MinAbundance = 0
		@MaxAbundance = 0
	}
}

Beyond that, the mods you're using that require MetallicOre would have to adapt. It's much easier to patch them. Rational Resources tries to do away with abstract resources, and this resource was judged more abstract than, and redundant next to MetalOre, whose specs are based directly, if not mostly on Iron, and that takes the guesswork out of preparing it for advanced calculations for ISRU chains.

11 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Tabris You'll have to open all the configs in GameData/RationalResources/CRP/ in a (preferably advanced) text editor, and change every instance of MetalOre to MetallicOre. You'll also want to add the following to GameData/RationalResources/CRP/zRecalibrateCRP.cfg for it to appear in SCANsat

@GLOBAL_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceType[0],#ResourceName[MetallicOre],~Tag[Spared]]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	Tag = Spared
	@Distribution
	{
		@PresenceChance = 0
		@MinAbundance = 0
		@MaxAbundance = 0
	}
}

Beyond that, the mods you're using that require MetallicOre would have to adapt. It's much easier to patch them. Rational Resources tries to do away with abstract resources, and this resource was judged more abstract than, and redundant next to MetalOre, whose specs are based directly, if not mostly on Iron, and that takes the guesswork out of preparing it for advanced calculations for ISRU chains.

Ty @JadeOfMaar,
MetallicOre is the only USI resource (apart from dirt) that isn't included.

i suppose i could change the USI chains to use MetalOre (may even still do this) but would also need to change storage as well

Edited by Tabris
PEBKAC

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Tabris I had to reverse one or more of my judgements concerning MetallicOre. That will be present in the next release here.

that will make life easier, Thank you.

side note: when updating will it be another 1.6Gb download?

Edited by Tabris

There's a new science experiment, and added purpose to the stock narrow-band scanner!

Planetary Classification identifies the assigned body template (not automatically. You, the planet modder, have to put it there) and gives some insight (sometimes a summary) into what to expect if you're thinking of sending ISRU. The narrow-band scanner unlocks later than most other ISRU parts...but the quick answer of what resource combinations to expect, can be in its own way more advantageous than waiting for a SCANsat resource scanner to make progress. This experiment only works in the In Space situations.

Most of the report texts are generic and easy to remix to support other planet packs. In most cases that will be enough but there will be oddities like asteroid moons and any major world that's not configured to have an exosphere. A few  conventions of the report texts are:

• The in space high text only identifies the surface template.
  • The in space low text can be fairly precise about it, rather than vague. It will also mention whether there's a trace atmosphere or why there is none (typically either too much gravity pulled it all down or nearly no gravity to hold anything in).
  • Currently does not/will not identify the ocean template (doing so makes for potentially too much reading). Exceptions aside, the ocean template should always match the surface template.

The stock system and JNSQ are fully supported.

yK44Z5i.jpg

qrjhrDV.jpg6lBqs0i.jpgZc9zMiL.jpg

This experiment adds value to low Sun orbit probes!

JAYRAL0.jpg

Spoiler

2TA34A8.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 weeks later...

Release 0.9.0

DOWNLOAD

It's finally a great time to get this update out, with CryoTanks now officially setting the bar for Methalox fuel ratios.

• Added atmo edge distributions for Default and Terra templates.
  • Added ExoRock and ExoIce templates for airless worlds.
  • Added Hexagen to Mun crust (Helium presence for CRP pending).
  • Added MetallicOre presence.
  • Added MetalOre and Oxium to scanners for Classic Stock.
  • Added Ore tank types for SimpleConstruction.
  • Added Planet Classification experiment.
    • Added to stock M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner.
    • Supports JNSQ.
  • Added several stock scanner modules to RR Scanners:
    • GPS to all.
    • KerbNet to all.
    • Biome scanner to ground and sea scanners.
    • Asteroid analysis to ground scanner.
  • Added temporary clones of the stock 'Bread' tanks with B9PS and Tweakscale patch. These can hold all RR tank types. Better tank models and sizes coming.
  • Changed Ore tanks patch to only target stock Ore tanks.
    • Added Hydrates, Rock options.
  • Fixed distributions settings for worlds changed by JNSQ.
  • Fixed gas giant Hydrogen, Helium presence.
  • Fixed mini drill abundance threshold, leave it unchanged from stock.
  • Finish balancing ISRU chains.
  • Removed CO2 multimode patch for stock NERV engine. It was found to conflict with the Kerbal Atomics multimode patch. This patch may return as an example for making other CO2 NTR configs.
  • Treated stock Oxidizer as LqdOxygen, remove LqdOxygen -> Oxidizer option. Due to balancing reasons, these two have a redundancy problem.
  • Treated LiquidFuel as Dodecane.

hIXq9mh.jpgUztycYx.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Thanks for all the work on this: JNSQ + RR has been a lot of fun for me so far.  I'm just at the build my first Mun or Min base stage of my career, so I'll pass along any playtesting feedback I can on ISRU, etc.

I just downloaded the 0.90 release, and wanted to pass along that MM is giving the following errors related to patching Ore tanks:

Spoiler

[ERR 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key refVolume = #$RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$
[WRN 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Cannot find key refVolume in PART
[ERR 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key baseVolume = #$../refVolume$
[LOG 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Applying update RationalResources/CRP/zOreTanks/@PART[LargeTank|SmallTank|RadialOreTank]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack] to Squad/Parts/Resources/RadialTank/RadialTank.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key refVolume = #$RESOURCE[Ore]/maxAmount$
[ERR 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key baseVolume = #$../refVolume$
[LOG 2019-07-28 13:33:31.580] Applying update RationalResources/CRP/zOreTanks/@PART[LargeTank|SmallTank|RadialOreTank]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,CommunityResourcePack] to Squad/Parts/Resources/SmallTank/SmallTank.cfg/PART

Nothing game breaking (Configurable Containers has worked OK with CRP/RR overlap elements so far), but thought you'd like to know.  I think this is straightforward, but if you need any of my logs etc. let me know.

5 hours ago, DR_RDR said:

Thanks for all the work on this: JNSQ + RR has been a lot of fun for me so far.  I'm just at the build my first Mun or Min base stage of my career, so I'll pass along any playtesting feedback I can on ISRU, etc.

You're welcome. I'm glad you like. :)

12 hours ago, joecd82 said:

Thanks for all the hard work, has anyone heard anything about methalox engines in the works, holding off on the duna direct plan until i can actually make fuel.

You're welcome. :) There are no true methalox rocketry mods yet but I know of several that come close but would need to be patched and play-tested to work properly. And I know that people are busy rolling their own already. Sadly no methalox engine pack is current and available afaik, but with CryoTanks officially supporting it, at least you have tanks. And with the cloned stock bread tanks provided by this mod, the ISRU chains are complete.

• NF Launch Vehicles has methalox engine stats and many engine sizes, but uses LFO.
  • Tundra Exploration is also all about that Raptor engine but has LFO stats and uses only LFO.

The stock XM-G50 Radial Intake is enabled to harvest everything necessary from an atmosphere, and options are added to the stock drills, converters, and the box converters added by this mod.

XMG50RadialAirIntake.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I know of that mod and of someone who's looking at enabling the stock rockets to use methalox. I've been thinking of adding the feature to @OhioBob's Eve Optimized Engines (with his permission) but I somehow never got around to asking him that and if Methane rocketry is practical on Eve's surface.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

With today's release of B9 Part Switch 2.9.0 comes a change in its UI. It now works like the stock variant system and no longer like Firespitter or Interstellar Fuel Switch. Its major feature is the ability to allow color definitions for subtypes just like stock variants so I've taken the pleasure of ensuring a colorful experience.

In addition to no longer deleting the stock options from the Convert-O-Trons (A happy @Snark is one of the best things to have ;) ) I will be providing this as an Extras/ config for players who don't want to see those options. Featured in the screenshots is another Extras/ config to apply all this to all of Squad's tanks. I've had this config long before Snark made his SimpleFuelSwitch mod but I never had good reason to release it until now.

CSkSREQ.jpg

All of these subtypes and their colors not pre-defined by B9PS.

EK4u2ow.jpg

On 7/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

The stock XM-G50 Radial Intake is enabled to harvest everything necessary from an atmosphere

in the right click in editor this shows as having an "effective base speed" of 15m/s but it won't produce any reasonable inputs (Gaseous Carbon Di-oxode, Methane) unless the craft is moving. is this correct?

there is resource storage for the liquid forms of CO2, Nitrogen, Ammonia, Methane, are they meant to be the Liquid forms or the Gaseous Forms?

Suggestion:

have you though about using the Pre-cooler as a combination intake/filter/compressor part? as a possible balance have it that it can only be one resource that has to be pre-set in editor.

@Tabris That is correct; a very ugly stock bug that makes landed atmo harvesters virtually unplayable. The storage for liquid resources is because it has intake modules that work while splashed. If you find an ocean of any of these, just submerge the intake and it will take in that resource at a very generous pace. I chose not to use intake modules for atmosphere because intake rates/amounts get weird and incredibly excessive and seem to not be worth the trouble to adjust them.

The reasons I use only the XM-G50 intake:

• It's not a popular part. The risk low or none that I will get complaints for feature spam and PAW overload.
  • I don't want to introduce new and obvious mod dependencies for this mod's features so I'll make the most of what stock provides (and so, spam the part with that).
  • I don't want to a known good supersonic intake serve as a harvester. I believe that these roles are mutually exclusive and that no such device can exist except for the Skylon intercooler and that part only works while supersonic anyway-- this makes it unfit for use when attached to a static, landed vessel like any form of mining base. I would rather have dedicated parts for this job and leave stock alone as much as possible.

Rather than the Precooler, I would look at the less popular but functionally identical Engine Nacelle. Or I could use both (I tend to use both if I use either one if I add features to them) and perhaps leave only the ocean intake modules in the XM-G50.