Rational Resources 2.0.6 [Apr 02, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

20 hours ago, arkaik said:

Hey! How is the compatibility between this mod and RSS? I'm currently getting the resources from community resource pack on Moon but some stuff that should be present like He3 is not, would this mod fix that?

RSS compatibility is largely already done but it indeed lacks in some places such as the He3, airless exospheres in general, Moon's polar ice, and other worlds' polar ice.

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

RSS compatibility is largely already done but it indeed lacks in some places such as the He3, airless exospheres in general, Moon's polar ice, and other worlds' polar ice.

Appreciate the response! I'm currently running a career mode that will largely rely on Nertea's Far Future Tech mod for the end game, and He3 is one of the main fuels for that mod. Due to its cost I figured it would be better to mine it from Moon since that is an option FFT gives you, but like I said I was unable get He3 to show up on Moon. For now I guess I will do without it, or I might have to bite the high He3 cost, thanks very much!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, DA299 said:

Hello, can anyone guide me as to how to install this mod. I'm playing with both Kerbalism, Real Fuels stock and KSRSS.  Which of the folders do I need to put into my 

Gamedata?

That's easy enough. Probably everything from the GameData folder in the download.

• RationalResources (the core folder. For resource placement)
  • RationalResourcesCompanion (this is essential to ISRU part mod integration)
  • RationalResourcesKerbalism
  • RationalResourcesKerbalismRF (Kerbalism + RealFuels)
  • RationalResourcesParts (you should only need this for the boxed heater and freezer converters for when some resources change between gas form and liquid form)

• 3 weeks later...

@JadeOfMaar For use with MKS, am I OK to remove the Kerbalism folders and the engines and bread tanks? If I install this in an existing save after already scanning with Scansat, are the resource maps already updated, or do I need to rescan?

Also, could I get some information on how the Nuclear Family and NTRReactorPatch extras work with KerbalAtomics and NFE?

Edited by dlrk

12 minutes ago, dlrk said:

@JadeOfMaar For use with MKS, am I OK to remove the Kerbalism folders and the engines and bread tanks?

Also, could I get some information on how the Nuclear Family and NTRReactorPatch extras work with KerbalAtomics and NFE?

For MKS: Yes. Kerbalism is incompatible anyway, and the RR Bread Tanks are obsolete in favor of the extra Ore tanks from Stockalike Mining Extension, and added or modified tanks under Procedural Parts. The engines are only demos and possible idea fuel for other engine part makers, and are obsolete now too.

Nuclear Family makes all tagged NTRs able to switch propellant so you can run them on things you can mostly just scoop out of nearly every atmo, and this becomes convenient mid-flight or pre-launch if you have a capable build with nuclear ramjets. You can choose between Hydrogen, Carbon Mon/Dioxide, Ammonia, Methane, Water. The README here gives tables of thrust and Isp for all propellants relative to the stock NERVA, and all thrust values scale properly vs the initial thrust before being patched. Your preferred, compatible, large Kerbal Atomics engine absolutely will have 2x its original thrust when you change it to use Ammonia for example.

If you're going to use Nuclear Family I recommend you get RCS Family too. This brings the same magic to all tagged RCS thrusters.

RR_NTRReactorPatch is an adaptation of a patch from NFE. (I don't know if it still exists now since System Heat effectively replaces it.) This causes all compatible nuclear engines to have a nuclear reactor installed into them and this reactor needs to be running and properly cooled to provide the thermal energy for thrust. You don't use this reactor directly for electric generation. This patch is mirrored in Nuclear Family and affects only nuclear jets but not rockets -- I wanted to avoid possibly causing more tech support issues where some rockets may already have this behavior in them, meanwhile, I'm pretty confident no one does this with jets, and giving them a half-life seemed like a pretty okay decision. A nuclear jet can run "forever" on just IntakeAtm and may seem quite unbalanced if it doesn't have this limitation.

This patch also adds the NFE nuclear fuel storage module. In order to refuel a nuclear jet you must wait for it to cool down, and your engineer must have enough rank, same as with any NFE mod parts.

2 minutes ago, dlrk said:

Thanks, thats very helpful! And about the scanning, do I need to rescan?

I was now about to add to my post. Nuclear Family conflicts with Kerbal Atomics' LH2NTRModSupport. The intention and patching targets are the same while the scopes are different.

No, you don't need to rescan. The only thing to be concerned with scanners is that RR adds proximity resource scanners (like the stock surface scanner) for all 4 resource types (crustal, oceanic, atmospheric, exospheric). If you plan to scoop the skies or lakes, put the appropriate ones on your ship and keep their PAWs open. The oceanic scanner needs to be submerged (merely being splashed doesn't count) to work.

10 minutes ago, dlrk said:

can only be detected within 1500m

Atmosphere resources can be detected from any altitude within a body's SOI. I never set an altitude limit, and Spectroscopy also practically knows no limit. Exosphere resources, however, will only show non-zero if you're within their bands.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I just did a resource scan on Kerbin (JNSQ), and I'm wondering why oceans have less than 5% water. The highest amount of water seems to be in the ice caps. Is this supposed to represent fresh water under ground?

Yes. SCANsat only cares about crustal resources so that 5% you're seeing is in the sea floor. If you splashdown with the RR Ocean/Sea Scanner (a clone of the Surface Scanner) you will see your > 75% Water.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so perhaps I am missing something *really* obvious here, but using RR & RR Companion, I haven't found any way to actually mine resources other than the basic ore, and the Convert-O-Tron only allows processing from ore to everything else. Is there some kind of optional MM patch I need to change the stock mining drills and resource converters? Or does RR work only with Kerbalism installed?

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@scocdp Did you somehow not install Community Resource Pack? That's where the majority of resource definitions are. Rational Resources provides things to do with the resources, but does not define the resources for itself.

Uhh yes, the problem occurred with the Community Resource Pack installed. I suspect that it broke due to a conflict with another mod, since it worked right out of the box after I did a clean re-install of KSP, with only RR and its dependencies. If I figure out where things went wrong I'll let you know.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't exactly know how to word this in order to search before asking, but I was wondering if the conversion of resource numbers from a sliding scale to integers is something that could be modified via something like module manager? I really like the addition with resources, but with PParts (and to a lesser extent PFairings) it makes shaping the parts take quick awhile in some cases (more-so with probes, between the battery, monoprop, heatshield, decoupler, etc) and saw that the slider was in earlier builds so I'm assuming that it's hard-coded into the mod, but figured I'd ask.

Again, I'm sorry if this has been asked. I'll spend some time going through this forum and see if I can find the answer myself but in the event that I can't I'd appreciate any help anyone can lend me.

Edited by shoe7ess

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Hi @shoe7ess. Sorry, you might be confused with KSPIE where its resource converters have slider controls. Such features are provided by a plugin and I don't have the capacity to write a plugin.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure if I know the right wording so I'll attach a screenshot. The only overhaul mods of the stock system I use are FFT/NFT, USI, and Deepfreeze so I thought maybe one of them had some sort of integration brought on by RR, so I put it in my Testbench game by itself and just MM installed and it does the same thing, and when removed from my modded game it went back to normal so I don't know. I'll attach a screenshot of what I'm seeing in game, maybe someone has an idea?

zIXet7J.jpeg

47 minutes ago, shoe7ess said:

a screenshot of what I'm seeing in game

Those highlight bits are numerical input fields. That is a stock feature that is toggled by the # button next to the pin button at the upper right in the PAW handle. KSP remembers (possibly universally -- one state for all menus) whether you want number vs slider inputs.

It may be an advanced tweakable and may be available (or not) per game save, alongside other certain things like the Autostrut options.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Those highlight bits are numerical input fields. That is a stock feature that is toggled by the # button next to the pin button at the upper right in the PAW handle. KSP remembers (possibly universally -- one state for all menus) whether you want number vs slider inputs.

It may be an advanced tweakable and may be available (or not) per game save, alongside other certain things like the Autostrut options.

Thats... awesome! I've been playing forever and never knew that. My newest testbench game is a copy-paste of my main 1.12.3 game folder, just stripped of the mods, so I'm thinking it must have been saved in the settings. So weird. I must have turned it off in my main game when clicking the pin again and not noticed. Wish I knew about this sooner, this could have really been useful in some of my RSS-RO/RF-Stock builds, thanks for letting me know!

14 hours ago, shoe7ess said:

Thats... awesome! I've been playing forever and never knew that. My newest testbench game is a copy-paste of my main 1.12.3 game folder, just stripped of the mods, so I'm thinking it must have been saved in the settings. So weird. I must have turned it off in my main game when clicking the pin again and not noticed. Wish I knew about this sooner, this could have really been useful in some of my RSS-RO/RF-Stock builds, thanks for letting me know!

It's a (relatively) recent change, and if you weren't looking at the patch notes / new feature for that release you probably missed it.  I believe it was in 1.10.1, fall 2020 or so.