[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I switched the sunflare mode to scatterer. While it looks pretty much the same in open space, it's nonexistent in dense atmosphere or in some conditions where the sun is too close to the vessel, and there's a thin circle around or inside the sun.

Is there anything I can do about it? At least the color looks correct now...

Spoiler

fLZfrU0.pngrkMVty7.png

6 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Why only 7000 m/s dv is needed to ascent from eve?

Because that's what it took when I did it.  Of course that's not from sea level with stock engines, which is pretty much undoable at 10 atm pressure.  I tested two scenarios:  (1) taking off from 2 km (Eve's mean surface elevation) using stock engines, and (2) taking off from sea level using Eve Optimized Engines.  In both cases, after some practice optimizing the trajectory, I got to orbit for a little less than 7000 m/s (vacuum delta-v).

Edited by OhioBob

5 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Why only 7000 m/s dv is needed to ascent from eve?

48 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Because that's what it took when I did it.  Of course that's not from sea level with stock engines, which is pretty much undoable at 10 atm pressure.  I tested two scenarios:  (1) taking off from 2 km (Eve's mean surface elevation) using stock engines, and (2) taking off from sea level using Eve Optimized Engines.  In both cases, after some practice optimizing the trajectory, I got to orbit for a little less than 7000 m/s (sea level delta-v).

Sounds right.

Even in stock, after much time spent optimizing ascent profiles, I achieved a direct ascent from 200m and return to Kerbin for about 7500 m/s total. Believe it was vac Δv, though.

Eve is often reported to need much more because of the huge difference in ascent profiles and craft construction, (my opinion).

Haven't tried Eve in JNSQ yet. Just finished Hard mode career tech tree playthrough in the intial release version, and updating to current today.

1 hour ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

Even in stock, after much time spent optimizing ascent profiles, I achieved a direct ascent from 200m and return to Kerbin for about 7500 m/s total. Believe it was vac Δv, though.

Yep, I also did a launch from stock Eve for 7500 m/s.  And you're correct, that was vacuum Δv.  The 7000 m/s value for JNSQ is also vacuum.  I made a mistake when I typed sea level (I've since corrected it).

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Ratwerke_Actual That's normal. The custom names don't persist but the settings themselves still exist.

Is there a place I can verify that in the cfg?

The only reason I ask, when shooting vids a while back if I didn't go in and slide it all the way right each time I opened KSP, I would see Minmus for instance look like low detail upon arrival.

Not to be a pain I hope. Just frustrating.

This is a wonderful mod, just this one issue bugs me.

1 hour ago, Ratwerke_Actual said:

Is there a place I can verify that in the cfg?

The only reason I ask, when shooting vids a while back if I didn't go in and slide it all the way right each time I opened KSP, I would see Minmus for instance look like low detail upon arrival.

Not to be a pain I hope. Just frustrating.

This is a wonderful mod, just this one issue bugs me.

You can verify that in the setting cfg. It will say setting you have selected at the very top of the terrain detail node.

Edited by Galileo

1thD39a.png

0.8.6 Change log

KSP 1.7.1 ~ 1.7.3

• Updated Jool and Lindor:
    • Made Lindor's rings more opaque.
    • New textures and updated biome maps.
    • Added Huygen, a moon of Lindor, including all associated revisions.
    • Added local asteriod fields.
    • Revised orbit of Riga to accommodate Huygen.
    • Changed Bop's orbit to prograde. It remains retrograde for Principia only.
  • Fixed KK center headings. This fix may not apply in KK for KSP 1.7 or older. Confirmed for KSP 1.8.
  • Rotated palms trees around KSC.
  • Updated HazardousBody heat parameters.
  • Updated delta-V map: Darkened some gray texts and added Huygen.
  • Added AntennaRange.png: a chart for measuring how much of what stock antennas (or the JX2 antenna) are required for many situations.
  • Replaced loading screen images. Emphasis was too far on the part mods and away from the bodies; Bodies have heavily changed since previous images were produced.

Download link in the OP.

A peak at the update:

Spoiler

ArrSj9b.png
3nkFTqa.png
IhMl9lm.png
jdspiaE.png
2SZDgsT.png
VezJpCb.png
YhVlvy0.png
7jwlwQI.png

Edited by Galileo

So I downloaded KK and the Omega mods so I could have the additional launch sites.  However, I was wondering how these locations worked in practice.  In a previous message it implied that you could have workers at these locations, make use of additional observatories and the like.  

Maybe I have the wrong versions of these supported mods but I am struggling with these features.  For example there is an airport to the East of the KSC before you get to the Island Air Field.  I forget the name but the location only show up in the tracking center as a helipad.  So on a whim I flew a plane out there to check it out and it was a lot more more than a helipad but a full blown parallel runway airport with hangers.  I landed and taxied into a hanger. Thinking that I had unlocked the site I ended my mission and when back to the Tracking Station and thought I would be able to "unlock" the airport like you could with the GAP mod in a stock game. That wasn't an option and the helipad is still the only feature showing up at that location with the KK interface.  I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly and its operator error but I can't figure it out and was wondering if anyone here knew how that mechanic actually worked with JNSQ.

Thanks   

@Galland1998 I also have noticed that on the previous version.

The KK similar to the ksp itself: there are models&textures, "configs" and "modules" in the "configs".

Runways on the Welcome Island have some models&textures, and "configs" place them on the island, but the "configs" lack of a "module" with a "launchsite" functionality, so you can't launch from them. Most likely @JadeOfMaar just miss them, there are extreme amount of SpaceCenters in the JNSQ

Edited by flart

@Galland1998 @flart The way they work is that you approach them with the active vessel then you interact with each static that has a module to them. clicking on them brings up a UI where you pay up-front to open or close the item or to assign kerbals (I don't know the condition needed for the kerbals. I assume you only pick from the un-hired ones). The module-bearing statics include:

• Any stand-alone fuel tanks. They will let you buy and sell some propellants and empty or fill the active vessel. Treat them as actual gas stations. All of JNSQ's KK bases have these except maybe the Mountain Observatories.
  • Helipads. I think I had a special reason why these are open by default but I don't remember and I'm not sure if it's a huge oversight.
  • The tiles with white paint road markings on them (Rover Pads).
  • All runways (except at the Welcome Back Island. It may be a dumb judgement call on my part but I don't see it as a place for spawning large craft. It's for recovery. If you guys feel very strongly about it, I don't mind changing that. But I can't promise when JNSQ will update again since we're waiting for Kopernicus for 1.8.1 now.)
  • All launchpads.
  • The Universal Spawn Points (used for ocean spawn). Look for a blue circle with triangle inside, seated in the water. Currently only KSC Harbor and C. Yeager have these.
  • All landing pads. These (in addition to the rover pads, helipads and runways) have a recovery module on them for when you play hard mode and disable yourself from recovering craft if they're not near enough to the KSC. The recovery module is technically the cheapest thing to think about. They also allow you to recover for up to 50% your craft's value and save you from needing to land near the KSC every time.
  • Some of the small building complexes. These are mostly "research station" statics, however, I use them mostly for roleplay housing/residential capacity. The ones you can interact with generally allow you to place kerbals and farm science.
  • Anything that looks like the Astronaut Complex or Mission Control. These likely have the barracks module and will accept a lot of kerbals to keep in reserve and should clear out the astronaut complex.
  • Three certain mid-sized buildings: the Orbiter Processing, Payload Integration and Horizontal Integration facilities. These accept kerbals and let you farm funds. Fully staffed they will pay for themselves in 1 year. Horizontal Integration can be found near the ends of all airport runways.
  • Any comm dish static except the transmitter mast. The masts are always open and provide for the air traffic controller experience. But they have a short range (60km). The extra comm dishes are for the probe control/satellite internet experience.
  • Tracking Station complexes (like at the KSC). These occur at the mountain Observatories and the C. Yeager center. They have signal range comparable to that of the KSC itself. These were arranged with RemoteTech in mind.
    You will need to go into Difficulty Settings and hit the toggle to Enable (extra) GroundStations. It is off by default, making these and all of the comm dish statics useless.
  • The small Standalone Utility Buildings (tiny cube buildings with just one door and tall, blinded windows) may have a storage volume with a fixed limit and will accept all resources like a piggy bank.
  • The hangars unfortunately, are useless. A craft storage module exists and allows you to stow up to 3 craft inside them like how Allista's Hangars mod works, but it's broken and it currently only allows up to 25 tons. I don't know if this was fixed for KSP 1.8.

The Island Airfield is randomly placed by KSP due to Kerbin's geography being changed. We don't control where it appears. We can only control if it appears.

I don't play career mode so I don't have a grasp on how GAP works, especially whether there's a master switch that you can flip and buy the whole base at once.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

12 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Welcome Back Island

I saw "Welcome Heliport" and Welcome/ folder , so I assumed it is Welcome Island. 
If I have known that it's Welcome Back Island, It would be anticipated that I can't launch from it and nothing is missed

4 minutes ago, flart said:

Does 0.8.6 loosed providing configs for PlanetShine? (I have 0.8.6 installed)

Hide contents

AOVA8kX.png

Yes, because our cfgs just changes the default cfg. It was a mistake on my part to say it "provides" planetshine cfgs, when really it doesn't. So be sure to install the default configs for planetshine. Looks like I'll need to set it up to conflict with Spectra, too.

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, flart said:

I saw "Welcome Heliport" and Welcome/ folder , so I assumed it is Welcome Island. 
If I have known that it's Welcome Back Island, It would be anticipated that I can't launch from it and nothing is missed

oh lol. Well using the full name in everything would cause trouble. But I didn't foresee things from this angle.

Spoiler

And the island has its own biome.

Hey galileo, wanted to say I love the work you and your team do. JNSQ is the best planet back ever imo. It scales the game to what I think is the appropriate difficulty while being a less complicated more complete project than RSS. Also the planets look better than anything I’ve seen. 
Ive got 2 questions: Is there any chance you’d add another gas giant or could you add a moon like Callisto. I know that’s a HUGE thing to ask for but I get jealous of our systems whopping 4 gas giants. Also is there plans to recreate JNSQ in KSP 2. Thankyou again 

17 minutes ago, Big Katz said:

Ive got 2 questions: Is there any chance you’d add another gas giant or could you add a moon like Callisto. I know that’s a HUGE thing to ask for but I get jealous of our systems whopping 4 gas giants. Also is there plans to recreate JNSQ in KSP 2. Thankyou again 

To answer all of your questions with one answer..maybe. :)

Currently there aren't any plans to expand any more. However, because planet creation brings me so much joy, it could happen if I get that itch. 

Making JNSQ available in KSP2 is a goal, but there is no way for me to give a guarantee until the game is released and we see what kind of things are possible. I am going to assume planet creation will not be possible in stock KSP2, so we will likely will need to wait for kopernicus, or a mod like kopernicus to be developed. I would live to port it over, though.

A JNSQ+ with additional bodies would be neat.  I agree with the sentiment JNSQ is the best system out there.  Having additional planets by the same team would be nifty.

P.S.  I know there's other Galileo planet packs.

Edited by klgraham1013

8 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

A JNSQ+ with additional bodies would be neat.  I agree with the sentiment JNSQ is the best system out there.  Having additional planets by the same team would be nifty.

P.S.  I know there's other Galileo planet packs.

When you say "additional", do you mean included in JNSQ, or an addition add-on you can decide to install if one so chose?

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

To answer all of your questions with one answer..maybe. :)

Currently there aren't any plans to expand any more. However, because planet creation brings me so much joy, it could happen if I get that itch. 

Making JNSQ available in KSP2 is a goal, but there is no way for me to give a guarantee until the game is released and we see what kind of things are possible. I am going to assume planet creation will not be possible in stock KSP2, so we will likely will need to wait for kopernicus, or a mod like kopernicus to be developed. I would live to port it over, though.

I can’t expect anymore, you’ve already made such a great product. Anything would be bonus. I was already excited to see the new moon.

As far as Ksp 2, I thought they were saying they were putting in more tools to help modders and the nature of interstellar travel leads me to believe they’d support custom systems. But I don’t know the slightest about modding. Also, I thought you made kopernicus but I could be waaaaaay off. 

8 hours ago, Galileo said:

When you say "additional", do you mean included in JNSQ, or an addition add-on you can decide to install if one so chose?

An add on.  I'm sure some people enjoy the original KSP planets and may not want to much more than what's already added.  Others, though, might want something bigger, but inline with JNSQ in a way other planet packs may not be.

I leave it in your hands.  JNSQ is already everything I could have asked for.

Edited by klgraham1013