[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

For the benefit of others who try upgrading a save game from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1, here's my experience with the process.

The installation itself went smoothly. Read the top post in this thread. I started with a clean 1.8.1 folder and used CKAN to install JNSQ, Kopernicus, Environmental Visual Effects, Scatterer, Omega, plus many mods for general functionality and parts. 2 part mods had to be manually downloaded because they are not on CKAN. Remember to delete the cfg file as directed in that top post. I finally copied the one save folder I wanted from 1.7.3 to 1.8.1 before starting KSP.

First attempt to launch KSP hung very early in the process. I closed the KSP window and restarted; it got a little further 2nd time. It fully loaded on a 3rd attempt. I suspect the hangs had something to do with Module Manager caching an excessive number of mods or maybe I was impatient and it didn't really hang. Once I got into KSP I set my resolution, sound, etc. The 1.7.3 save game loaded okay.

Orbital parameters of planets are unchanged as expected. Kerbal Alarm Clock SOI alarms for flights in progress from my 1.7.3 save are still accurate in 1.8.1.

Check all your 1.7.3 bases and landers before proceeding to play further in 1.8.1. I had some issues with a base at Minmus. It bounced 150m upwards when I first took control and crashed to the surface. I reloaded my last 1.7.3 savefile then used HyperEdit's "land here" button to save that base. The JNSQ release notes suggest anything on the surface of Moho, Nara, or Minmus is at risk. I had a smaller glitch with a Duna base that could just be a visit from the Kerbal Kraken.

Fly safely, y'all! Congrats to the entire JNSQ and Kopernicus teams.

With the recent updates I have been preparing a new install to give this pack a go. I just can't resist all the shiny bits..

Anyhow, this will be my first re-scaled playthrough, going at it from career mode and a ludicrous set of parts/gameplay mods. 

My question is this: in normally scaled systems I am used to running science/funds sliders down to about 40%, so going somewhere doesn't instantly allow me to go across the rest of the system. But perhaps the running costs of launching stuff are higher in this re-scaled environment, so what settings would be recommended?

Any other specifics I should keep in mind when setting up my career mode for this? (yes I realize that's a very generic question, ignore it at your own discretion)

1 minute ago, Morphisor said:

With the recent updates I have been preparing a new install to give this pack a go. I just can't resist all the shiny bits..

Anyhow, this will be my first re-scaled playthrough, going at it from career mode and a ludicrous set of parts/gameplay mods. 

My question is this: in normally scaled systems I am used to running science/funds sliders down to about 40%, so going somewhere doesn't instantly allow me to go across the rest of the system. But perhaps the running costs of launching stuff are higher in this re-scaled environment, so what settings would be recommended?

Any other specifics I should keep in mind when setting up my career mode for this? (yes I realize that's a very generic question, ignore it at your own discretion)

I’ve found 60-70% to be a nice balance. You’ll also want to scale up the comm setting anywhere from 2.5-3.0.

3 hours ago, Morphisor said:

I usually play at 30-40%, but for JNSQ I use 50%. There are a few things to consider :

1) higher DV means more expensive rockets. at 30% I tend to run out of funds and mission farming is not my thing (I like doing missions to gets funds, but not oodles of them)

2) higher DV requirements means harder time to get science points early in the career mode. with 30% I get science starved, and I don't want to do the KSC science farming thing.

Anyway, I have been running into graphical glitches on Kerbin in this version of JNSQ. I have texture squares appearing. This was not happening in the previous version. (See spoiler). This is with Eve and scaterer. Anyone else got those ?

Spoiler

Gnl3v6c.png

Edited by Muetdhiver

2 hours ago, Muetdhiver said:

I usually play at 30-40%, but for JNSQ I use 50%. There are a few things to consider :

1) higher DV means more expensive rockets. at 30% I tend to run out of funds and mission farming is not my thing (I like doing missions to gets funds, but not oodles of them)

2) higher DV requirements means harder time to get science points early in the career mode. with 30% I get science starved, and I don't want to do the KSC science farming thing.

Anyway, I have been running into graphical glitches on Kerbin in this version of JNSQ. I have texture squares appearing. This was not happening in the previous version. (See spoiler). This is with Eve and scaterer. Anyone else got those ?

Reveal hidden contents

Gnl3v6c.png

That is a normal thing that happens in 1.8. Isn’t it great? Hopefully Squad can stabilize the shader in the coming update.

Is it normal for daylight on Kerbin to have a very yellow tint with JNSQ and latest Scatterer? It doesn't appear to be the case in orbit, and reduces with altitude, but at ground level it's rather jarring. 

Greetings!

Do I understanding correctly that JNSQ comes only in 2.7x scale and cannot be simply scaled to something like 6.4x or even 10x with a few tweaks in configs?

My current goal is to play in more or less realistically scaled world (it amplifies the coolness of orbital view and makes everything feel more "right") with Principia and FAR, but use something like Near Future stuff to compensate massively increased dV requirements. RSS unforunately doesn't have Jool and Laythe.

JNSQ looks like the most alive and up-to-date stock system rescale with Principia support, which is absolutely fantastic, the only problem for me that it's still quite small :(

9 minutes ago, Pleb said:

You may be the first person who has complained that this mod is too small! :D

Well, it is very possible that if I will manage through composing all the mods together and actually start playing I will quickly realize that 1/4 of IRL is pretty hard too :) 

I just love that absolutely gigantic look of IRL sized Kerbin (or Earth in RSS) from low orbit (just above atmosphere), especially with 43k clouds. Because planet is 10x bigger and atmosphere only like 2-3x thinner, planet looks less curved and makes you feel much smaller. And that 10km/s+ counter at nawball and hours-long electric engines burns required to fly somewhere will add to the feel:prograde:

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Is it normal for daylight on Kerbin to have a very yellow tint with JNSQ and latest Scatterer? It doesn't appear to be the case in orbit, and reduces with altitude, but at ground level it's rather jarring. 

Yes. Scatterer now has ambient lighting. So at certain times, you will have that happen.

If by "certain times" you mean "all day", then it's not exactly how I remember sunlight looking like. Now, KS3P exaggerates this somewhat, but even with it off, it looks like it's perpetually early morning.

1 hour ago, syngen said:

Is it possible to run your beautiful textures without running the rescaled galaxy?  I only bought the game at christmas, and have yet to get past minmus in stock.  But I do love the new higher detailed terrains in this mod. 

Hey there. Sorry, but JNSQ is not for you if you're new to KSP. Galileo does, however, have an equally amazing stock sized system with nearly the same layout if you're interested in trying it. It has just as many bodies as JNSQ and plenty of challenge in itself too. Just take note that the stock planets themselves do not exist, and the KSC is not on the equator.

Dossier%20-%20Gael.jpg

14 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Hey there. Sorry, but JNSQ is not for you if you're new to KSP. Galileo does, however, have an equally amazing stock sized system with nearly the same layout if you're interested in trying it. It has just as many bodies as JNSQ and plenty of challenge in itself too. Just take note that the stock planets themselves do not exist, and the KSC is not on the equator.

Dossier%20-%20Gael.jpg

I can't unsee something on that image that tells that this planet is under Sirius Corporation control or something like that :)

3 hours ago, ArXen42 said:

Do I understanding correctly that JNSQ comes only in 2.7x scale and cannot be simply scaled to something like 6.4x or even 10x with a few tweaks in configs?

JNSQ comes in only one size... 1/4 real-life scale, which is about 2.7x stock scale.  It can be rescaled to whatever size you want using Sigma Dimensions.

We've started experimenting with a 4x config that upsizes JNSQ to real scale, but nothing is ready for release yet.  But it is on our to do list.

I was about to post about how the Lindor rings didn't work, but then I managed to find them by pointing the camera at Lindor then shifting the viewpoint until they suddenly appeared. Wow, those things are hard to spot- incredibly thin and only visible at short distances/high zoom, I was expecting them to be more prominent. (maybe they're actually present in v1.7.3 as well and I never managed to find them?)

Also- well done for updating to 1.8.1! I'm very happy to see the compatibility as my list of 'incompatible' mods that CKAN complains about every time I open the game is drastically shorter, and those new textures are niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...

45 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I was about to post about how the Lindor rings didn't work, but then I managed to find them by pointing the camera at Lindor then shifting the viewpoint until they suddenly appeared. Wow, those things are hard to spot- incredibly thin and only visible at short distances/high zoom, I was expecting them to be more prominent. (maybe they're actually present in v1.7.3 as well and I never managed to find them?)

We decided to give Lindor faint Uranus-like rings.  Most planet packs tend toward big bright rings, so this is different.  If you think they're faint now, you should have seen them a couple versions ago.  They were barely visible.