[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I managed with the 10 m heat shield and a rather heavy lander. The link points to Part 5. PE was at 45 km.

I wouldn't aerocapture at JNSQ Eve. Re-entry from a 65 x 65 km orbit was barely within tolerance of the 10 m heat shield on normal difficulty. Attempting to aerocapture would get considerably warmer and more explody.

Thanks. This wasn't aerocapture, it was an attempted landing from a 300km orbit. A "heavy" setting SSTU heat shield would probably do ok from a 65km orbit, but I don't know what to do about the tumbling- the vehicles was doing fine (except for running out of ablator) when it just tumbled end over end and that was all kinds of explody. I've recovered much taller (relatively speaking) vehicles on Kerbin with no problem, I didn't even consider this one as having a risk of tumbling. Next one gets serious reaction wheel overkill I guess.

26 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

Anyone have any recommendations for contract packs that are compatible with JNSQ? Just worried some of the parameters would be off if I ran some that I've seen for stock.

I don't know anything about contract packs so I can't answer.  But I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, so you may want to scroll back through the preceding pages.

8 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

Anyone have any recommendations for contract packs that are compatible with JNSQ? Just worried some of the parameters would be off if I ran some that I've seen for stock.

Since JNSQ is essentially an upgraded stock system, almost all contract packs should work fine. 

The only ones that may give issues, are contract packs with specific altitude requirements. These may fail due to the different scaling. The smarter contract packs can work around this though.

If there's any contract pack in particular you're wondering about, it's pretty easy to figure out if it's going to have issues.

2 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

With Kopernicus Continued being close to its initial release, are there plans to validate against it & release JSNQ for 1.9+ or should I "rolls my dice and takes my chances"? 

It ought to work.  I'm not expecting that we'll need to release an update.  If you find any issues, please report them.

Edited by OhioBob

9 hours ago, Emilius73 said:

Is there a way to change the planet scale of JNSQ? I'd love to play this in 10x scale? (10x the original Kerbin's scale, not 10x the JNSQ scale)

Sigma Dimensions.  To play JNSQ at real scale will require a 4x resize/rescale.  As far as I know, no one has published a 4x config, so you'll have to make your own.

How do you get Kerbal Alarm Clock to work properly with this? Every time I try to set a time for an alarm that is past 6 hours it just skips to the next day since it still thinks it's using stock Kerbin time.

Edited by TaintedLion

15 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

How do you get Kerbal Alarm Clock to work properly with this? Every time I try to set a time for an alarm that is past 6 hours it just skips to the next day since it still thinks it's using stock Kerbin time.

Are you using Kronometer? I haven't played KSP for a while, but last time I played JNSQ came bundled with it and that in combination with KAC should work.

26 minutes ago, Pleb said:

Are you using Kronometer? I haven't played KSP for a while, but last time I played JNSQ came bundled with it and that in combination with KAC should work.

Yeah I have it installed but KAC keeps thinking that the game is in 6-hour stock time, and it's just messing up my ability to create date alarms.

5 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Yeah I have it installed but KAC keeps thinking that the game is in 6-hour stock time, and it's just messing up my ability to create date alarms.

Which version of KSP are you running? There seems to be some bugs with Kopernicus in 1.9.1 so I would recommend using 1.8.1 for now.

6 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

Can someone explain the whole "ruby slippers" thing with Nara? I don't get it :confused:

Or do I need to go to Nara to find out myself?

Have you ever seen The Wizard of Oz?.  In the movie, Dorothy returns home from the land of Oz by closing her eyes, clicking the heels of her ruby slippers together three times and repeating the phrase, "There's no place like home."  That may also be your only hope of getting home from Nara.

5 hours ago, Emilius73 said:

Can someone explain the whole "ruby slippers" thing with Nara? I don't get it :confused:

Or do I need to go to Nara to find out myself?

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Have you ever seen The Wizard of Oz?.  In the movie, Dorothy returns home from the land of Oz by closing her eyes, clicking the heels of her ruby slippers together three times and repeating the phrase, "There's no place like home."  That may also be your only hope of getting home from Nara.

There is a small amount of hope to get home when you use Nertea's Atomic Aerospikes from his Nuclear Propulsion Mod. They are the only engines I know so far which can deal with the 40 atm on the surface of Nara. That is 4 times more than on JNSQ-Eve's surface and 10 times more than on Stock-Eve's surface. All other engines ISP drops down to zero at this level of atmospheric pressure even normal Aerospike engines.

11 hours ago, Jacky_Rabbit said:

There is a small amount of hope to get home when you use Nertea's Atomic Aerospikes from his Nuclear Propulsion Mod. They are the only engines I know so far which can deal with the 40 atm on the surface of Nara. That is 4 times more than on JNSQ-Eve's surface and 10 times more than on Stock-Eve's surface. All other engines ISP drops down to zero at this level of atmospheric pressure even normal Aerospike engines.

Oh, I see.

Also 40 ATMOSPHERES!? Holy sh*t!

On 7/17/2020 at 3:02 PM, Bombaatu said:

With Kopernicus Continued being close to its initial release, are there plans to validate against it & release JSNQ for 1.9+ or should I "rolls my dice and takes my chances"? 

It works. Don't worry.

Edited by Emilius73
Why did the thing post "Holy excrements"?

11 hours ago, Jacky_Rabbit said:

I wrote specs for a staged combustion aerospike that works on Nara...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zba8rneth3j9vw6/JavelinEngine.zip?dl=0

Why did the thing post "Holy excrements"?

@Emilius73 The forum has a censor bar. Have a nice day. :sticktongue:

Nara is a very special class of planet. It's not exactly a gas giant. It's not exactly a super-Earth. It's not exactly a mini-Neptune. But it is the signature "ultimate celestial body" for you to face as some planet packs will have.

@sturmhauke Not only have players returned from stock Eve with DLC props, but from Jool sea level.

13 hours ago, Jacky_Rabbit said:

All other engines ISP drops down to zero at this level of atmospheric pressure even normal Aerospike engines.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;) Not every good engine is a rocket. When facing extreme atmosphere you want to have a good jet engine alongside your good rocket. And there are a few mods for jet engines that don't need oxygen and will work fine near Nara's sea level. I could list the mods...but that would defeat the challenge.

uhh, if you want to get off of Nara at an alarmingly fast rate, suicidalinsanity's stock-ish project orion engine gets absurd amounts of ISP and impulse at Nara surface level

we're talking orbital velocity from a single 5kt yield nuke unit

safe to say you disintegrate from aero drag heat in a second, but on the lowest yield you can easily make it

using stock ways, like stock props or breaking ground props should probably work pretty well in that ultra dense atmosphere (i mean, they're pretty much boat propellers at that pressure level lol, which is hilariously still only half of venus' surface atmosphere

not that any conventional form of propulsion is going to work well when faced with 45atm of pressure of ice cold helium, especially given how much drag that would cause

Is there a visual pack that works with the current version of JNSQ?

I ask because my game has such a muted tone its depressing.

This is KSC daytime image

Screenshot-1.png

I've been looking around and its seems Ad Astra has not been updated and i think AVP is stock systems only. Any help would be appreciated

Edited by Shizen

1 hour ago, Shizen said:

Is there a visual pack that works with the current version of JNSQ?

I ask because my game has such a muted tone its depressing.

I've been looking around and its seems Ad Astra has not been updated and i think AVP is stock systems only. Any help would be appreciated

JNSQ comes packaged with its own visuals and looks the way the developers want it to look.  Sorry if it's not to your liking.  There are other planet packs you can try that may be more appealing to you.

Ad Astra is by a third party, we don't know what its status is.