[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

And now we're done.

Spoiler

It's been quite a ride, Team Galileo. Thanks to you guys, and thanks to all of the add-on makers whose add-ons were used to make this series.

I'll probably do a separate mission report topic for all of these, to inflate my YT view count include some behind-the-scenes images and commentary, but that's otherwise the end of this. I need a break to fix and update my own add-ons now that KSP 1.12 is the final full release.

Wow.

Until now I had absolutely no idea what the Nara anomaly was, despite trying to find it at least once before. I’ve been writing a KSP story set in JNSQ for a while and had some ideas about Nara, but this actually fits in better than I could ever have hoped for.

On a semi related note, did anyone else get some protomolecule vibes from that thing?

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

On a semi related note, did anyone else get some protomolecule vibes from that thing?

I was thinking more of the 'nara' hyper-compressed rock the D'ni used, as I explained in the video, from the Myst universe.

Tenuous connection time:

• much of the KSP soundtrack was written by Kevin MacLeod;
  • he also wrote a lot of other music, including a piece called Space Fighter Loop which featured in a few of @Gordon Fecyk's JNSQ exploration videos (e.g. part 4.5 at about 7:00);
  • I recognised that piece because it was also used in a game called Robocraft which I played a lot in the past;
  • some time in 2015, something called a "Cluly ball" was popular in Robocraft:
Spoiler

ae17rwy.png

Which I think bears at least a passing resemblance to the Nara anomaly, as seen in the JNSQ exploration, (see the video above, at 21:30) which is in KSP. 

And now that I've confused absolutely everyone... :confused:

11 hours ago, Fundati said:

I've gotten a game with JNSQ, GPP, and GEP working. However, only JNSQ scatterer configs work. Anyone know why the configs for GPP or GEP wouldn't be working? (AKA scatterer isn't applying its effects to those planets)

Are you using the Rescale mods to make sure everything is at the same scale?  For instance, if you are playing JNSQ at its native 1/4 real scale, then you need to resize GPP and GEP by 2.5x using the optional Rescale mods that come with GPP and GEP.  If not, JNSQ will break scatterer for anything that is installed with it.  The fix for this is included in the Rescale mods, as it is presumed Rescale will always be used when either GPP or GEP is installed with JNSQ.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Are you using the Rescale mods to make sure everything is at the same scale?  For instance, if you are playing JNSQ at its native 1/4 real scale, then you need to resize GPP and GEP by 2.5x using the optional Rescale mods that come with GPP and GEP.  If not, JNSQ will break scatterer for anything that is installed with it.  The fix for this is included in the Rescale mods, as it is presumed Rescale will always be used when either GPP or GEP is installed with JNSQ.

Wasn't there a memory leak issue when combining JNSQ with rescaled GPP? The game never finishes loading and eventually just crashes, IIRC.

Has that been resolved already? 

56 minutes ago, UnanimousCoward said:

Wasn't there a memory leak issue when combining JNSQ with rescaled GPP? The game never finishes loading and eventually just crashes, IIRC.

Has that been resolved already? 

A memory leak was reported for JNSQ + GPP + KK + dependencies.  Nothing has been done yet to resolve it on our end.

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

The surface scatter is kind of broken

What is the screen shot trying to show me, floating scatter?  If so, that's a Kopernicus problem, not JNSQ.

On 9/24/2021 at 11:00 PM, HebaruSan said:

GPP and GEP are structured differently; GEP installs as secondary by default and requires a special "primary" patch to use it as the main solar system, whereas GPP installs as primary by default and requires a special "secondary" patch to use it as a secondary solar system. So GEP (without the patch) is intrinsically compatible with other solar systems, while GPP is not.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:00 AM, OhioBob said:

What you describe is exactly true.  So it makes sense that JNSQ and GPP might show as incompatible.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:28 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The CKAN stuff needs a bit of work.  GPP 1.6.6.0 is listed as not compatible with JNSQ.

On 9/25/2021 at 4:33 PM, OhioBob said:

We know about the non-compatibility thing, though I'm not sure if there's a solution.  The problem is that both JNSQ and GPP are natively primary star systems that replace the stock system.  Thus, as far as CKAN is concerned, they can't co-exist with each other.  They are only compatible with the addition of GPP_Secondary.

When all the options were set up, I only considered manual installation.  Never gave any thought to CKAN because, quite honestly, I have no idea how it works.

I just belatedly realized that the CKAN team can work on this after all (now that GPP's metanetkans were effectively abandoned and deactivated). We have the changes started now, see below; they should make it possible to install GPPSecondary alongside JNSQ using CKAN. I'd like to get some feedback to make sure it's OK before we go through with it, though.

Any CKAN user interested in testing out some improved GPPSecondary CKAN metadata is invited to join us here:

The pull request description has a "How to beta test" section explaining how to install the in-progress changes; please let us know about any problems you encounter so we can fix them before they're merged to the general user base.

18 hours ago, Fundati said:

Everything worked as planned after removing Ad Astra from my mod list. Looks like there's no problem with loading.

Neither GPP nor GEP have been tested with JNSQ while Ad Astra is installed.  Ad Astra is not by Team Galileo, so we have no idea what problems might arise by having it installed.  It is our current position that no accommodation will be made for the use of Astra.  If anyone tries Ad Astra and discovers problems, please don't bring them to us.  Report your problems to the maker of Ad Astra and allow him the option to make the necessary fixes.  If he does not, then the official position is that the mods are incompatible and should not be used together.

Edited by OhioBob
spelling

Hi all,

I must be making some obvious mistake but i can't get JNSQ to work.

I have tried a brand new install via steam both in 1.12.2 and 1.12.1 + 1.11.2 just to do something..I got the 0.10.0 version from GitHub

I only have fresh install and JNSQ

Log here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LgG1_kRpR3MSawhBmGjiYnlTqZ6bPpWI/view?usp=sharing

What am I doing wrong here?!

Thank you all in advance,

superm18

1 hour ago, superm18 said:

I must be making some obvious mistake but i can't get JNSQ to work.

Looks like I need to make an updated instruction video. This one still works, but the following changes are needed:

• Get a matching Kopernicus version for your KSP
  • Make a separate copy of KSP outside of your SteamApps folder so Steam doesn't mess with it, and make sure the Users local group has Modify permissions in it
  • Install a matching version of Kronometer
  • Test first with Kopernicus and JNSQ Only, before piling on additional add-ons
  • When piling on add-ons, keep the Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator versions included with Kopernicus

5 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Looks like I need to make an updated instruction video. This one still works, but the following changes are needed:

• Get a matching Kopernicus version for your KSP
  • Make a separate copy of KSP outside of your SteamApps folder so Steam doesn't mess with it, and make sure the Users local group has Modify permissions in it
  • Install a matching version of Kronometer
  • Test first with Kopernicus and JNSQ Only, before piling on additional add-ons
  • When piling on add-ons, keep the Module Manager and Modular Flight Integrator versions included with Kopernicus

Worked like a charm! Thank you for speedy response and on point support

1 hour ago, Quickspin said:

I am not finding ground scatters or scan points on Kerbin using F12-Breaking Ground-Ground Scatters.

Kerbin's scannable / ROC objects are very few and far between compared to those on other bodies. The Baobab trees are out there; try the (arid) midlands and (arid) highlands.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Spelling

log file registering a bunch of errors (about 100) with JNSQ. The vast majority of them read like this:

[ERR 15:09:17.252] [Physics.PhysX] QuickHullConvexHullLib::findSimplex: Simplex input points appers to be coplanar.

[ERR 15:09:17.252] Failed to create Convex Mesh from source mesh "". An internal unspecified error has occured that could mean the Quickhull algorithm found the input mesh topologically challenging. 

Only have these after installing JNSQ.

Here's the log file. Here is my  log file right before installing JNSQ if it helps. Running 1.12.2, installed with ckan

Edit: Also installed GPP and GEP and some texture errors popped up as well as some others.. Not sure if they are all irrelevant, thought I'd check. Here's the log file with those errors. 

Edited by Fihnakis
Installed GPP and GEP

One more time, my apologies. I decided to try Kerbal Konstructs and saw even more errors pop up in the log file. All read along the lines of this:

Spoiler

[LOG 19:20:31.835] Load(Model): OSSNTR/Statics/Airport/ControlTowerSmall/ControlTowerSmall
[ERR 19:20:31.840] Texture 'OSSNTR/Statics/Airport/ControlTowerSmall/model_airport_metal_01' not found!

Are those also ignorable?  Is Omega's no texture's required not required anymore? I tried without OSSNTR but then I just get a bunch of Kerbal Konstructs errors.

Here's the full log file.

23 minutes ago, Fihnakis said:

[LOG 19:20:31.835] Load(Model): OSSNTR/Statics/Airport/ControlTowerSmall/ControlTowerSmall
[ERR 19:20:31.840] Texture 'OSSNTR/Statics/Airport/ControlTowerSmall/model_airport_metal_01' not found!

Yes, they're ignorable as well.
These warning messages are normal for OSSNTR (and other statics packs using stock building textures) because they need to be created with but cannot be distributed with those stock textures. Nothing will happen ingame because Kerbal Konstructs should automatically apply the correct stock textures after loading.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman