[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 7/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, OhioBob said:

The stock asteroids have been deleted and replaced.  So position relative to the stock game is irrelevant.  I think we overdid it with the number of asteroids.  I've rewritten the asteroid configs for the next release, whenever that comes.

Do you have a mass estimate for each class of JNSQ asteroid ? I tried it myself but I might be misunderstanding a cfg file or making dumb math errors.

I'm asking because I wanted to redirect an asteroid into Kerbin orbit. I found a class A asteroid in the tracking station. Class A is 9.5 tons maximum in stock, and I know that JNSQ asteroids are bigger, so I built a fairly large asteroid tug. When I actually reached the "small" asteroid, though, I was surprised to see it was 250 tons (that's class D in stock), too heavy to move without a much, much, much larger tug. I don't have ISRU unlocked yet.

Here's my attempt to estimate JNSQ asteroid mass. JNSQ's asteroids.cfg contains:

@density *= 3.3456 // Stock asteroids will have density of 1.0; Number taken from RSS

%maxRadiusMultiplier = 10.0 //Default is 1.25 so up to 4x larger than default

%minRadiusMultiplier = 2 //Default is 0.75 so this much --not as small--

Maximum radius increases from 1.25 to 10.0 which is 8x larger (I assume the "4x" comment in the code is old). Taking a worst case, if a JNSQ asteroid can have a radius 8x larger than stock, then the volume of the JNSQ version can be 8^3 = 512x larger than stock.

512 volume * 3.3456 density * 9.5 tons stock class A = up to 16,273 tons for JNSQ class A. Is that correct? If yes, yikes!!!!

Edited by DeadJohn

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Do you have a mass estimate for each class of JNSQ asteroid ?

I don't know how asteroid mass is determined.  I only wrote the part of the config that determines where and how many asteroids appear.  I believe the changes to the asteroid module were done by @JadeOfMaar.  Perhaps he can explain it.

21 hours ago, squeaker0704 said:

that didn't do it i have a thing with eve saying in needs a eve config file for atmosphere and texture  

Sounds to me like you may have an installation error or some type of mod conflict.

1 hour ago, squeaker0704 said:

what mods would be causing the conflict

I have no idea.  There are too many mods out there to keep track of.

and where can i check if it is a mod conflict 

The usual procedure is to remove all mods except JNSQ and its dependencies, then check and see if it works.  If so, then start adding mods back one at a time until you find the one that causes the conflict.

eve is saying that it doesn't have config files for eve for atmosphere terrain and textures  

I don't know what that means.  By "eve" do you mean Environmental Visual Enhancements?  And what do you mean that it is saying this?  As far as I know, EVE doesn't talk.

JNSQ comes with all the EVE configs and textures that it needs.  That's why I suspect either an installation error or something else conflicting with it.  A clean install with just JNSQ, its dependencies, and EVE should work if installed correctly.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, squeaker0704 said:

anyone having issues with jool being black

I had that too, once. Unfortunately, I don't fully remember how I solved it.

IF (big if!) I remember correctly, it was working for me at first and then stopped at some point and Jool became black*. It may or may not have been an update/install of another mod (probably the most likely cause). I tried to trace it like OhioBob suggested here as well and reduced the number of mods. In the end, I ended up with only JNSQ (and its dependencies) in a test environment and Jool still remained black. So I decided to reinstall JNSQ (first in my test environment, later in my normal, heavily modded game) and it was solved. My suspicion is that some setting got messed up along the way - or that I did an error during another mod installation. I honestly don't know.

*As for the asterix on Jool being black: Again, IF I remember correctly, I could temporarily solve this ingame by opening the EVE Redux settings and just (re-?)apply the clouds (I believe it was the clouds) -without changing any settings, just hit apply- and Jool got its colors back. But restarting the game reverted Jool back to being black (not that there is anything wrong with being black, or green, or anything else). So it wasn't a permanent fix.

Sorry that all my statements are so vague. It's been some time since I had that issue and I didn't write down what I did when troubleshooting the issue. All I remember is that a fresh JNSQ installation over my already heavily modded game solved the issue. :-/ I hope it helps you anyway.

5 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

is pixelated Kerbin as viewed from a low orbit the way it should be ?

That's not the way we'd like it to be, but it is the way it is.

5 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Also I believe that atmo.cfg for Kerbin in ...\GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\Scatterer\Planets\Kerbin \ is still missing JNSQTag = True key. Without it the atmosphere config gets deleted by another JNSQ patch. 

The file you reference does include the line JNSQTag  = True, so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I've never noticed the atmosphere being deleted.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

The file you reference does include the line JNSQTag  = True, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Huh, I checked on GitHub and you're right. However, it's at least the second time I have to add this line manually. The first time was like a year ago so I had to figure out what the problem is all over again. Why it happened again I really can't tell. I didn't touch JNSQ since the last update. The only mods I updated recently were Kopernicus and Scatterer. 

I wonder if this is somehow related to the Jool problem @squeaker0704and @caipihave experienced (I'm guessing that Jool without the atmosphere is just black void). The symptoms are pretty similar - the planet loads without the atmosphere, there is a Scatterer debug entry in KSP.log that says that the atmosphere config could not be found. Reinstalling JNSQ helps but only for one game, after restart the problem reappears. It's like something deleted JNSQTag  from the config file but it shouldn't be (and probably isn't) possible. 

7 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Reinstalling JNSQ helps but only for one game, after restart the problem reappears.

In my case, reinstalling JNSQ fixed it permanently. Applying EVE-clouds ingame (as described in my previous post) only fixed it temporarily until the next game start.

But if it should happen again to me (which I doubt since the issue hasn't reappeared since), I'll keep an eye out for the JNSQTag in the mentioned scatterer-atmo-cfg file.

I kid you not, JNSQTag is missing from Kerbin atmo.cfg for Scatterer again. I decided to check it out of curiosity before launching the game now. And it's gone. I can see that the file was modified at the exactly same time as the last entry in the KSP.log.  I can also see (and remember) that the atmosphere config was there to the very end - just 7 sec before the game closed there is this entry in the log: 

[LOG 21:05:33.254] [Scatterer][Debug]  Atmosphere config found for: Kerbin

This is from loading the main menu scene just before I quit. The log ends at 21:05:40.702 after a few more entries, including this exception: 

[EXC 21:05:40.694] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalChangelog.ChangelogAddonMainMenu.OnDisable () (at <3df0e8f79e4f4c60b17db000dc0cdeca>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I dunno if this may be related to my file being reverted. 

EDIT: 

I added the JNSQTag = True again and launched the game. Loaded the save, changed a scene to TRACKSTATION, went back to KSC, quit the game. The file get reverted again when the game was closing. This time the log looks a bit different with this smoking gun:

[LOG 19:56:24.767] [Scatterer][Debug]  saving Kerbin atmo config to: JNSQ/JNSQ_Configs/Scatterer/Planets/Kerbin/atmo

So it's Scatterer but why? There was no entry like this in the previous log. 

EDIT2:

Solved by @HebaruSan!

Turns out it's because of Scatterer's autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange config entry. When set to TRUE it applies any changes to Scatterer's settings made with Scatterer's in-game menu (ALT+F10) whenever the scene is changed. I set it to TRUE since I was tweaking AA settings and did not fancy restarting the game every 30 secs. @HebaruSan figured out by checking the code on GitHub that this entry also makes Scatterer to overwrite atmo config file with current in-game settings. One does not need to edit anything or even open the in-game menu - Scatterer will overwrite the file anyway just to be sure. What's even most interesting, it seems that it only saves entries it recognises from it's own atmo config file and skips all that are specific to JNSQ's configs. I compared my current JNSQ's atmo config for Scatterer with one on GitHub and it's missing some entries,  like experimentalAtmoScale, Rg, Rt, RL and of course JNSQTag

I had autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange set to TRUE for quite some time now but usually I quit the game by ALT+F4, so Scatterer didn't have a chance to overwrite any files. Until two days ago, when I closed the game in a civilised manner. 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

I'm experiencing lag when lowering onto planets (ie duna) surface. As I get into atmosphere I can see noticable drop in fps, then when really close to the surface it stops and game runs normally. Any fixes for that?

@JebIsDeadBaby Just out of curiosity, which scatterer version are you using?

I think at the time when I had the bug, I might have been testing/playing around with different (newer/latest/very recently updated and not recommended versions of) scatterer versions before reverting to the recommended 0.0772.

Right now I'm playing without scatterer (decided it wasn't worth the trouble, for some reason - don't ask me why exactly, might have been performance or some other reason like an incompatability).

I'm messing around with making videos.

I've always wanted to land/return on every body in JNSQ, so we'll see if I can finally manage it this time around. As is tradition, first stop will be Duna.

21 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

It probably doesn't matter—the Scatterer code that does this is at least 5 years old.

Okay, so just out of curiosity, I set up a test environment again (KSP 1.12.3 + MM + CTB + Toolbar and its controller + EVE Redux + Kopernicus + JNSQ + dependencies). I started the game a few times and checked out Jool. It was beautiful(!) and green and had a cloud layer, as expected.

Then I installed Scatterer 0.0772 and started it a few times (in total more than 5, with 3 consecutive starts). Jool was still green and had its cloud layer. So it was working fine with 0.0772. The atmo.cfgs in ..\GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\Scatterer\Planets\Kerbin and in \Jool were unchanged and still had their JNSQTag = true.

I then installed the latest Scatterer (0.0834) and started the game twice. Jool was black without its green cloud layer, though it still had some lightning effects. The atmo.cfgs (Jool & Kerbin) however were unchanged and still had the JNSQTag = true.

I deleted Scatterer 0.0834 and ScattererAtmosphereCache, reinstalled Scatterer 0.0772 and Jool was green again (I started and checked it twice, just to make sure).

So what I can say after this test: I can confirm that the latest scatterer (anything above 0.08 presumably) turns Jool black. I cannot confirm @JebIsDeadBaby's finding that scatterer would change the atmo.cfg - at least not scatterer 0.0834 or 0.0772. Also, I cannot confirm that the JNSQTag = true line has to be missing from any atmo cfg for Black-Jool™ to appear.

Also, this time, I did not have to reinstall JNSQ to make Jool green again. Which makes me think that none of the JNSQ files had been (or had to be) altered.

@JebIsDeadBaby Could your atmo.cfg being altered maybe be a side effect of another mod interacting with scatterer/JNSQ/Kopernicus?

/edit: Thanks @HebaruSan! I missed the edit from Jeb. :) I read the original post back when it didn't have the edit. My bad for overlooking that part.

/edit2: I crossed out stuff that was already solved and unimportant.

Edited by caipi
thanks for HebaruSan's post added

2 minutes ago, caipi said:

@JebIsDeadBaby Could your atmo.cfg being altered maybe be a side effect of another mod interacting with scatterer/JNSQ/Kopernicus?

It's controlled by a setting in Scatterer:

23 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Turns out it's because of Scatterer's autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange config entry. When set to TRUE it applies any changes to Scatterer's settings made with Scatterer's in-game menu (ALT+F10) whenever the scene is changed.

[...]

I had autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange set to TRUE for quite some time now but usually I quit the game by ALT+F4, so Scatterer didn't have a chance to overwrite any files. Until two days ago, when I closed the game in a civilised manner. 

4 minutes ago, caipi said:

Could your atmo.cfg being altered maybe be a side effect of another mod interacting with scatterer/JNSQ/Kopernicus?

No, I'm 100% positive that it's Scatterer in my case. The reason your files where not altered by Scatterer is because autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange is set to FALSE by default and Scatterer does not overwrite atmo files in this case. You can find this key in Scatterer's config file and check it out. My guess is it will overwrite atmo file of every planet you'll visit in-game and delete JNSQTag in effect. 

Also I use 0.0834 version of Scatterer and just checked that Jool is green in my game (well, it's actually Uranus blue with visible atmospheric bands). So I'd say there is something more going on in your set-up.