[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

7 hours ago, intelliCom said:

How long is a Kerbin year in JNSQ? Given the different scale, I'd have to guess that it's not the usual 426 days we're used to.

The year consists of 365 12-hour days.

2 hours ago, intelliCom said:

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with configs and the like. I assume this replaces existing text in a file, but I don't want to make a mistake here.

The patch does not replace any text; it can be either added to any existing config file or placed in a new file anywhere in GameData.

Edited by Leganeski

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with configs and the like. I assume this replaces existing text in a file, but I don't want to make a mistake here.

No, that text goes into its own config file. Name and location does not really matter as long as the location is somewhere below GameData and the name ends with .cfg

The usual recommendation for this kind of personal patch is to create a dedicated directory below GameData (e.g. GameData/LocalPatches) and name the file(s) in there to express their purpose in the file name (e.g GameData/LocalPatches/JNSQ-Color-Fix.cfg)

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Am I the only one who has a Class A asteroid being about 1000 tons?

11 hours ago, OhioBob said:

It's not because we've made the them all that much bigger, but because we've made them denser.

If anyone wants more details about JNSQ asteroid mass see an April 2022 discussion on pages 125-127 of this thread. That's what led to the proposed patch OhioBob posted above. I'll recap the conversation here.

The issue in the current release is more size rather than density. The maximum random size within each class is up to 8x the stock class. 8^3 is 512x volume and combined with 3.3456x density an asteroid can be 1713x more mass than stock based on RNG whims.

Class A asteroids in JNSQ theoretically range from 133-16273 tons. That's a huge range. The largest class A can be bigger than the smallest class D in JNSQ.

The patch (or download asteroids.cfg from the latest JNSQ github unreleased source) reduces size (still bigger than stock) and increases density to make asteroid classes less wildly random but still fitting JNSQ's vision. Class A becomes a more manageable 164-743 tons range for mission planning.

On 10/31/2022 at 4:28 AM, intelliCom said:

If visual updates are under consideration for JNSQ

None are.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:58 AM, Gordon Dry said:

No clue why this is not inside JNSQ update

Because JNSQ hasn't been updated.  If is is updated, the fix will be included.

Kopenicus also includes a patch for this.  See ColorFix.cfg.

Edited by OhioBob

I'm running into an extremely weird graphics glitch that just started. I thought it might be my video drivers but I've got the latest. Scatterer is on version 3:v0.0772, which I believe is the latest. I'm running an RTX-3080 w/ 12gb vid memory.  I have restarted a few times, along with deleting/recreating my settings file. Does anyone have any ideas?f3SUNTU.pnge1yH4BH.jpgVcL86VA.png

35 minutes ago, Ravlain said:

@BombaatuTurn off TAA in scatterer settings.

How/where do I do that?

EDIT: disregard - I found the useTemporalAntiAliasing setting in the config files & set them to False. How would this have gotten turned on? I don't recall clicking anything about scatterer configs

Edited by Bombaatu

On 10/30/2022 at 11:46 PM, OhioBob said:

Asteroids are a bit messed up in the current release of JNSQ.  The issue has been fixed, but not yet released.  I really need to release an update just to fix a few minor things, such as this.  If you want to update your installation, go to the file JNSQ/JNSQ_Configs/Asteroids.cfg and make the following change:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]]:FOR[JNSQ]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleAsteroid]
	{
		@density *= 33  // Stock asteroids will have density of 1.0; Number taken from RSS
		%maxRadiusMultiplier = 1.67  //Default is 1.25
		%minRadiusMultiplier = 1  //Default is 0.75
	}
}

That being said, asteroids are quite a bit more massive in JNSQ then they are in stock.  It's not because we've made the them all that much bigger, but because we've made them denser.  Densities are unrealistically low in stock, so we increased the density to a more lifelike value.

(edit)

I just noticed an issue with your math.  2.5^3 = about a 15x increase.  So a 10-ton asteroid would be about 150 tons.

If I'm reading our changes correctly, we've increased radius by 1/3 and density by 33 times.  So I think we should expect asteroids in JNSQ to be about 1.333^3 * 33 = 78 times more massive than they are in stock.

Will this fix existing objects, or only new ones?

7 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I don't know, but I suspect asteroids that have already been spawned in will be unchanged.

Depends on how much data persistence there is.  I no longer have a computer so I can’t verify. Im a little on the fence as to whether density would have to be persisted to the save file level. My instinct is no. Density changes probably carry over. 

Radius will probably not. Pretty sure there’s a a radius field besides min/max that gets serialized 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:18 PM, OhioBob said:

I don't know, but I suspect asteroids that have already been spawned in will be unchanged.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:32 PM, Starwaster said:

Radius will probably not. Pretty sure there’s a a radius field besides min/max that gets serialized 

After shrinking, this asteroid is still captured with both vessels :)

xKXxQ90.jpeg

Edited by flart

3 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Would be cool to see this updated and adapted to Parallax

No plans to do that.  There will likely be an update, but just to fix a few bugs.  Parallax I'm leaving up to some industrious third party to volunteer his/her time to release a community patch.  If it doesn't happen, then I guess the community didn't want it bad enough.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, stk2008 said:

That's the reason then matey jnsq does not work with latest version it has to be version 772.

My bets are if you install that version all will be good

That sucks because there have been a lot of bug fixes for Scatterer since then. Do you know if anyone has made updated configs for JNSQ? 

Not that I know of.

I dont even know what would be needed to get latest scatterer to work with JNSQ but if you do find out let me know to please :)

Did you test with version 772? if so any luck with your previus issue?

Edited by stk2008

Hi. Might anyone have some insight into these artifacts? Seems to be an issue with Scatterer+JNSQ. In low orbit or on the surface of airless bodies (tested on Mun and Minmus at least), I get this: https://i.imgur.com/X3Ywexz.mp4

In LKO or landed on Kerbin,  I get these weird afterimages most obvious when moving the camera quickly :  https://i.imgur.com/4TbGEOC.mp4

This began about halfway into my heavily modded JNSQ install.  I'm sorry as this will be annoyingly vague, but it began a few months ago, presumably after updating something, after which I got wrapped up in IRL stuff, so I don't remember the exact sequence of events. It *may* have begun after installing the new parallax 2.0 just to try it out, which involved updating Kopernicus and scatterer. After uninstalling, I've been stuck with this. 

Things I've tried:
-If I update scatterer beyond .0772 or uninstall scatterer, these disappear (but updating leads to other known issues with JNSQ).

-Removing/trying different versions of kopernicus and TUX make no difference

I'm hoping it might be obvious to someone before I commit to reinstalling 100+ mods and hoping nothing breaks in my main career save in the the move.