[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

I got a contract to rescue a kerbal in low Minmus orbit. From the save file:

Spoiler

12cZXK3.png

Unfortunately I can't find her or her craft because she's dead...

Spoiler

FWT4UzV.png

Anybody else run into this? I'm using Principia (Minmus orbits within the Mun's orbit). Rescues around Kerbin have been working well so far. I guess she crashed into Minmus or spawned inside it 

On 3/11/2023 at 6:51 PM, AVaughan said:

Atm there is some discussion on the Kopernicus thread about recent Kopernicus versions breaking BG surface features.  

Yes this was addressed in update -161.

But now I don't have any normal terrain scatter on Minmus, only the BG ROCs.  And I see normal trees on Kerbin but no BG ROCs. I have JNSQ_high terrain detain setting and scatters at 30%.

7 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Yes this was addressed in update -161.

But now I don't have any normal terrain scatter on Minmus, only the BG ROCs.  And I see normal trees on Kerbin but no BG ROCs. I have JNSQ_high terrain detain setting and scatters at 30%.

I'd need to see your log file.  Post it in the Kopernicus thread (or here is fine too) please.  I don't think that one is a Kopernicus specific bug as I have those working, but I'll be happy to diagnose what you have going on.

Though I do test at 100% scatter density...  I know it will kill your FPS, but can you test that and see if it changes anything, and then get me that log file?

Also, your Settings.cfg file might not hurt for this diagnostic session.

Edited by R-T-B

• 3 weeks later...

Trying out JNSQ for the first time, and absolutely loving it! As someone else said, it's like a whole new game. I'm too early in my career game to have ascent guidance, so just figuring out a successful launch profile is a fun challenge, learning the ropes with the scaled-up system. The contract pack also really adds a lot to the early stages of a career game. I've only sent one probe to the mun so far, and actually enjoying grinding around Kerbin, taking spysat contracts and launching lots of scientific probes and satellites. Amazing work all around!

13 hours ago, mistergoblin said:

Trying out JNSQ for the first time, and absolutely loving it!

Welcome to the club :)  For me the thing that sealed the deal was Minmus. I distinctly remember thinking "this doesn't look like a toy any more!" and I was hooked. JNSQ was my gateway drug to 2.x scale. Impossible to go back now.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:48 PM, Hoddd9000 said:

Has anyone made a config for the 0.08XX version of Scatterer? I’m having major rendering issues with the 0.07XX versions but the newest version works aside from the compatibility issues.

I have been slowly chipping away at this when I have time.  Rough estimate I'm like 60% of the way there, I've got the scaling looking correct, colors seem okay though maybe they could use a little more tweaking.  At this point I'm still in the "make them look right from orbit" phase.  Then I'll be landing to make sure sunsets look right and stuff.   Main issue I'm having is with sunlight terminators and getting them to look right, like for instance on Kerbin there should be a reddish tint but there just isn't.   I'm kind of learning while I go so it's a lot of trial and error and progress is slow going.  Anyone with experience with this kind of stuff that would like to help, I'd sure appreciate it.

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

3 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

Advice? How do people manage to get the deltaV required to orbit on 10x scale? I can get to LKO about 250k, but getting to the Mun and capture have been difficult. My guess is I just need some better rockets. :valsad:

10x scale is indeed "hard mode," you aren't alone in struggling there if that's any help lol.

3 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

Advice? How do people manage to get the deltaV required to orbit on 10x scale? I can get to LKO about 250k, but getting to the Mun and capture have been difficult. My guess is I just need some better rockets. :valsad:

Delta-v at 10x scale is 101/2 times greater than it is at 1x scale, or about 3.2x greater.

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

10x scale is indeed "hard mode," you aren't alone in struggling there if that's any help lol.

It is actually, thank you. :valhappy: Just knowing that it's not because I'm horribly inept is a big relief. I've since gotten to the Mun with a bit of DeltaV to spare. It really makes a big change to rocket design.

Edited by Mitokandria
Typo

29 minutes ago, Mitokandria said:

I've sense gotten to the Mun with a bit of DeltaV to spare. It really makes a big change to rocket design.

10x scale Kerbin is nearly identical to Earth in terms of its physical parameters, so getting to Mun is about as difficult as a real Moon mission. Nice job!

56 minutes ago, Mitokandria said:

It is actually, thank you. :valhappy: Just knowing that it's not because I'm horribly inept is a big relief. I've since gotten to the Mun with a bit of DeltaV to spare. It really makes a big change to rocket design.

Have you buffed the rocket parts to account for the larger scale?  If not, the game will be really difficult.  The stock parts are way too heavy to build rockets at 10x scale.  If you haven't done so, there's an optional config that comes with JNSQ that makes changes to the parts so you can build real scale rockets.  You can find it in the JNSQ download in Optional Mods/JNSQ_Rescale/PartRebalancer10x/

51 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Have you buffed the rocket parts to account for the larger scale?  If not, the game will be really difficult.  The stock parts are way too heavy to build rockets at 10x scale.  If you haven't done so, there's an optional config that comes with JNSQ that makes changes to the parts so you can build real scale rockets.  You can find it in the JNSQ download in Optional Mods/JNSQ_Rescale/PartRebalancer10x/

I have, but I have a lot of part mods. A lot more than I expected....So it's possible many of the mod rockets aren't buffed for 10x play. For now I'm just trying to unlearn stock KSP1 habits and learn new JNSQ 10x habits. Like not building heavy payloads when not necessary for a given mission.

I'm about to get my first probe to minmus orbit. :)

6 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

For now I'm just trying to unlearn stock KSP1 habits and learn new JNSQ 10x habits.

Have you tried JNSQ 2.7x ? That's a big jump but manageable with stock parts. I'm still trying to adjust my intuition from stock to 2.7x. Like reentry... 

12 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Have you tried JNSQ 2.7x ? That's a big jump but manageable with stock parts. I'm still trying to adjust my intuition from stock to 2.7x. Like reentry... 

I haven't. I wanted to play RO+RSS, but it wasn't compatible with my mod list. So I'm using JNSQ 10x as a replacement for RO+RSS.

22 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Delta-v at 10x scale is 101/2 times greater than it is at 1x scale, or about 3.2x greater.

It wasn't so much knowing the DeltaV required, and more about being able to obtain that much DeltaV while managing the TWR and funds. Though that did help a lot thank you. :) I took the time to actually learn the math so I should be able to calculate DeltaV requirements now.

16 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

I wanted to play RO+RSS, but it wasn't compatible with my mod list. So I'm using JNSQ 10x as a replacement for RO+RSS.

If you like a challenge or a more realistic KSP then I can highly recommend playing RSS+RO+RP-1.  It is virtually a complete game overhaul, and as such it is incompatible with many mods made for stock, but it adds so much more to my KSP experience.

2 hours ago, AVaughan said:

If you like a challenge or a more realistic KSP then I can highly recommend playing RSS+RO+RP-1.  It is virtually a complete game overhaul, and as such it is incompatible with many mods made for stock, but it adds so much more to my KSP experience.

I've never used the complete realism overhaul, but as I understand it, it is a significant change to the way the game is played.  There are many more things that have to be considered, like ullage, limited restarts, etc.

@Mitokandria, which way you go depends on just how far you want to take it.  The PartRebalancer10x that comes with JNSQ is designed specifically to make as few changes to the way the stock game is played as possible.  It simply modifies the rocket parts to have more realistic mass ratios and performance, so that you can build rockets capable of producing the higher delta-v required for 10x scale.  Otherwise it leaves everything alone.  It's probably a good starting point for someone who has never played 10x scale before.  Going all the way to full RO might be a little daunting for a first timer to deal with.  You can alway upgrade to RO later if you find you are enjoying the 10x experience and want something more challenging.

By the way,  PartRebalancer10x will work with any planet pack, not just JNSQ.

8 hours ago, AVaughan said:

6 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've never used the complete realism overhaul, but as I understand it, it is a significant change to the way the game is played.  There are many more things that have to be considered, like ullage, limited restarts, etc.

@Mitokandria, which way you go depends on just how far you want to take it.  The PartRebalancer10x that comes with JNSQ is designed specifically to make as few changes to the way the stock game is played as possible.  It simply modifies the rocket parts to have more realistic mass ratios and performance, so that you can build rockets capable of producing the higher delta-v required for 10x scale.  Otherwise it leaves everything alone.  It's probably a good starting point for someone who has never played 10x scale before.  Going all the way to full RO might be a little daunting for a first timer to deal with.  You can alway upgrade to RO later if you find you are enjoying the 10x experience and want something more challenging.

By the way,  PartRebalancer10x will work with any planet pack, not just JNSQ.

No worries I did quite a bit of homework building a modlist specifically for RSS+RO+RP-1, but one of the mods I really really wanted in my game wasn't compatible with Kerbalism. Ullage and Limited Ignitions in RSS+RO+RP-1 are features from RealFuels. :) I am using RealFuels in my current JNSQ game so I also have to handle those too. As much as I like Kerbalism I saw it as an opportunity to try a different life support mod (TACLS).

I've been lurking for a few years and tried the Ullage and LImited Ignitions from RealFuels a few times, but couldn't get the hang of it. So since I was trying to "Build Your Own RSS+RO+RP-1" I made sure it was included and that I would learn how it works. I learned pretty quickly.

Edit: I'm one of those weirdos that reads ToS and always reads the manual when available. I read through JNSQ and it's options soooo many times. I checked several times just to make sure that I had PartRebalancer10x installed.

Edited by Mitokandria