[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Did you change the DSN modifier to 4x in your game settings?  In addition to the patch that changes the range modifier, we also recommend that you change the DSN modifier.  We leave changing the DSN to you the player in case you want to make it easier or harder.  4x is just our recommendation.  (Leave the range modifier in game settings at 1.  Changing it trigger a bug, which is why we do it with a patch.)

With both modifiers at 4x, the range between a built-in antenna and level 3 tracking station should be,

Range = SQRT( rating_1 * rating_2 )

Built-in antenna rating = 5000

Level 3 tracking station rating = 250,000,000,000

Range = SQRT ( (5000 * 4) * (250000000000 * 4) ) = 141,421,356 meters

I did make the change, within the KSP settings menu? RemoteTech seems to disable CommNet , so I enable it, change the DSN to 4 and save. Currently the settings continue to show as 4(.04, I believe, actually). The Tracking Station shows as 1.03Tm in the Space Center view, but is shown as 75.00Mm in the map view. Pictures below.

Tracking Station - https://imgur.com/HzPcKJ6

Mission Control (Map) - https://imgur.com/smK2g7x

I believe it to be RemoteTech loading after JNSQ and RemoteTech settings taking precedence, but I do not know, just an assumption.

Edited by SkW3rL
removed duplicated link

7 hours ago, derega16 said:

When Kopernicus for 1.10 is out will we got JNSQ take on comets? I wonder how big they will be.

We'll have to wait and see.  None of us have looked at comets to see how they work yet.  We need a working Kopernicus that supports them we can even consider it.

It’s hard to know what we can do with 1.10.  I don’t have the relationship I had with Thomas and Sigma with the devs of  Kopernicus Continued, so I have no idea if they plan on making Kopernicus work with new features, or if they plan to just make it work with newer versions, sans new features. We shall see.

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I don’t have the relationship I had with Thomas and Sigma with the devs of  Kopernicus Continued

We can change that!

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I have no idea if they plan on making Kopernicus work with new features

Definitely when possible. For instance, the new swirling clouds of Jool are something that I would like to add as a general purpose feature of Kopernicus.

@OhioBob Just a quick update, I ended up removing RemoteTech.  Although the setting I referenced increased my range, it was still nowhere near as stated in the JNSQ .png, even accounting  for degradation in the signal. RemoteTech config files  seem to only acknowledge antenna distance and not power, subsequently eliminating the math needed to calculate distance.

Anyway, it works fine with CommNet.

Thanks again.

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for creating this mod, I absolutely love it. However I do have a small question and maybe it's the same one as @SkW3rL asked, but I couldn't really figure it out because it was a bit technical.

To put it simply:

I am using RemoteTech2 alongside this mod, and I have the feeling the range of my antennas is a bit under-powered as I am trying to reach for the Mun. Is this correct or is it working as intended? (I am aware of the dsn x4 setting)

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched for a clear answer but I am confused.

1 hour ago, BeastlyBean said:

To put it simply:

I am using RemoteTech2 alongside this mod, and I have the feeling the range of my antennas is a bit under-powered as I am trying to reach for the Mun. Is this correct or is it working as intended? (I am aware of the dsn x4 setting)

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched for a clear answer but I am confused.

I wish I could answer but I really don't know anything about RemoteTech.  I've never used it because I've always found stock communications adequate.  Perhaps somebody with knowledge of RemoteTech can answer this.

18 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Could you write a config for JNSQ for this? : 

Tlit'Em doesn't work.  It does tilt planets, but it has problems that the dev was never able to solve before apparently giving up on it.  It's just not stable enough to use.

@BeastlyBean in the RemoteTech settings, I believe it is the third button on the top, change the setting from "Standard" to "Root". This increased the range to a much more desirable number. This setting changes RemoteTech values from antenna range, to antenna power, but I have been through the RemoteTech config files and nothing references power, all range. So, I believe this is why the better, but diminished values, are present.

if you saw the my earlier post referencing a line of code that needs to be added to a config file for the antenna ranges to be x4 value. 

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna*]]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]:LAST[JNSQ]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna*]
    {
        @OmniRange *= 4
        @Mode1OmniRange *= 4
        @Mode1DishRange *= 4
        %JNSQ = True
    }
}

If you are unsure of how to add this line, I wouldn't touch it. It's simple, but if something gets messed up, the game will not work properly, but I believe this line is being added in the next release. 

6 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I wish I could answer but I really don't know anything about RemoteTech.  I've never used it because I've always found stock communications adequate.  Perhaps somebody with knowledge of RemoteTech can answer this.

Tlit'Em doesn't work.  It does tilt planets, but it has problems that the dev was never able to solve before apparently giving up on it.  It's just not stable enough to use.

@Misguided_Kerbal - there's always "Toast": https://github.com/panarchist/Toast/releases

It's basically "Harder Stock System" with the serial numbers filed off (accrediting was done as per license requirements), and every planet will have the same axial tilt. I posted briefly on it a year ago in this thread.

21 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I'm back on it and managed to solve some of the issues but still I have a errors when going into rotating frame and not packing the vessels.... Unfortunately I would need help from a SQUAD dev for this :( Or just more time until I get the inspiration

Edited by Dagger

So I've been experiencing a slight visual bug with JNSQ (not sure if JNSQ fault or something else D:)  Basically when the sun rises over the horizon, Solar panels behave as if sunlight is hitting them and you can see the shine of that beautiful sun, but the actual light doesn't hit your vessel till a few seconds after the sun can already be seen.  I'll put some screenshots in spoilers:

Spoiler

F9DUIZR.pngL05GysP.png37hEr5K.pngcgzrWDu.pngEfJ8eYp.png

What is the aerobraking/parachute protocol for Eve in JNSQ? I thought I was good setting my periapsis at 45k, but one I didn't have enough ablator, and two the craft tumbled at 35k even though it should have had plenty of reaction wheel torque to maintain its retrograde attitude. I was entering from a 300k orbit at about 5500m/s, which is fast but no faster than returning from Minmus to Kerbin.

Also, if I haven't mentioned in a while, thanks again for all this work, to me this is the right scale to make things tricky without going to the self-flagellation lengths of RO.

39 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

What is the aerobraking/parachute protocol for Eve in JNSQ?

I managed with the 10 m heat shield and a rather heavy lander. The link points to Part 5. PE was at 45 km.

I wouldn't aerocapture at JNSQ Eve. Re-entry from a 65 x 65 km orbit was barely within tolerance of the 10 m heat shield on normal difficulty. Attempting to aerocapture would get considerably warmer and more explody.