[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

14 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Galileo, Loving JNSQ a lot...if I was to offer any constructive criticism I think the new sun with the all the lens flare is a bit too JJ Abrams. 

I've googled a bunch of images of the sun from space, so I see what you're going for. That said, one of the things I love about JNSQ is the aim for a toned down (dare I say "realistic'?) look to the planets and I'm not sure the sun flare matches that toned down look.

Thanks for all the hard work.

What we can do is put in my old flare to and make it optional. I agree its a bit over the top with the new flare, but jadeofmaar did such a good job on it and, to be fair, the final product that made it into JNSQ is really toned down for him ;p 

Edited by Galileo

24 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Galileo, Loving JNSQ a lot...if I was to offer any constructive criticism I think the new sun with the all the lens flare is a bit too JJ Abrams. 

I've googled a bunch of images of the sun from space, so I see what you're going for. That said, one of the things I love about JNSQ is the aim for a toned down (dare I say "realistic'?) look to the planets and I'm not sure the sun flare matches that toned down look.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Sun photo from the ISS

Well from this picture from the ISS it is not that far off.

Edited by Galland1998

I think although we may "feel" that the flare is perhaps a bit strong, ironically most IRL space images with the sun tend to have a lot of flaring artifacts (spikes, ghosts, the whole lot) due to cameras often being behind optically poor protective windows.

sunearthpanel_sts129.jpg

Still its all a matter of taste I guess and options are always welcome. I really love Jade's new flare although I'm torn between that one and importing the Ciro flare from GPP

edit: slightly ninja'd *do'h*

Edited by Zorg

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

I think although we may "feel" that the flare is perhaps a bit strong, ironically most IRL space images with the sun tend to have a lot of flaring artifacts (spikes, ghosts, the whole lot) due to cameras often being behind optically poor protective windows.

Also it's, you know, space. There's no atmosphere to scatter or absorb sunlight before it reaches the camera.

11 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Sun photo from the ISS

Well from this picture from the ISS it is not that far off.

Agreed...I looked at those same images before posting my comment. I'm certainly not claiming I'm objectively right and others are wrong and I'm not a lens artifact expert. I just find it distracting in the game...Galileo's suggestion of including an option to roll back to the earlier sun flare works great for me

Edited by Tyko

14 hours ago, Galileo said:

Have you tried using dx11 or OpenGL?

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

Edit: I just ran JNSQ with a full load of visual mods and restock and was under 4 gb with DX11

I'm going to try DX11, but JNSQ indeed seems to need lots of RAM. It takes (with only EVE and Scatterer added) 7,5 gb of RAM on my PC, while 1.7.1 with all DLC, all of Nertea mods, restock, SVE and Outer Planets mod eats only 4,5 gb.

Edited by Walker

33 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Agreed...I looked at those same images before posting my comment. I'm certainly not claiming I'm objectively right and others are wrong and I'm not a lens artifact expert. I just find it distracting in the game...Galileo's suggestion of including an option to roll back to the earlier sun flare works great for me

Is it the flare itself or the ghosts that you find distracting? If it's the ghosts then you can disable them with JNSQ 0.5+, which is the way I personally like it. From the changelog:

Added condition for ghost-less Unity sunflare. Create folder "JNSQNoGhosts" in GameData to activate it.

Ooh I haven't played KSP for a very long while (1.4 1.5-ish) and I come back and see Galileo and crew have a new map pack! I know what I'll be doing this weekend... :D

Edited by Pleb
Actually it was around 1.5 I think?

Just now, Pleb said:

Ooh I haven't played KSP for a very long while (1.4-ish) and I come back and see Galileo and crew have a new map pack! I know what I'll be doing this weekend... :D

Same here^^ Really got me over the edge of re-installing!

Is life support a requirement now? I'm getting a fatal error from b9 about ammonia resource not being defined. Of course it isn't I don't have CRP or any life support mods. B9 came with @Nertea station parts redux. this only started when I updated JNSQ to 0.65. This is the error that causes this:

Spoiler

[EXC 16:15:48.477] PartResourceNotFoundException: No resource definition named 'Ammonia' could be found
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.PartResourceDefinitionValueParser.FindResourceDefinition (System.String name)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.ValueParser`1[T].Parse (System.String value)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.ValueScalarMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataField.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    Rethrow as Exception: Exception while loading field resourceDefinition on type B9PartSwitch.TankResource
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataList.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataObjectExtensions.LoadFields (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.TankResource.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.NodeObjectWrapperIContextualNode.Load (System.Object& obj, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.NodeListMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataField.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    Rethrow as Exception: Exception while loading field resources on type B9PartSwitch.TankType
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataObjectExtensions.LoadFields (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.TankType.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ReloadTankDefs ()
    Rethrow as Exception: Fatal exception while loading tank type RR_Ammonia
    B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ModuleManagerPostLoad ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
    ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
    ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
    ModuleManager.<Run>d__16:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

there is a newer version of b9 but its not in station parts so I don't know if I should be messing with it. and I don't think b9 is at fault here.

1 hour ago, snkiz said:

Is life support a requirement now? I'm getting a fatal error from b9 about ammonia resource not being defined. Of course it isn't I don't have CRP or any life support mods. B9 came with @Nertea station parts redux. this only started when I updated JNSQ to 0.65. This is the error that causes this:

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 16:15:48.477] PartResourceNotFoundException: No resource definition named 'Ammonia' could be found
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.PartResourceDefinitionValueParser.FindResourceDefinition (System.String name)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.ValueParser`1[T].Parse (System.String value)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.ValueScalarMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    Rethrow as Exception: Exception while loading field resourceDefinition on type B9PartSwitch.TankResource
    B9PartSwitch.TankResource.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Parsers.NodeObjectWrapperIContextualNode.Load (System.Object& obj, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.NodeDataMappers.NodeListMapper.Load (System.Object& fieldValue, .ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    Rethrow as Exception: Exception while loading field resources on type B9PartSwitch.TankType
    B9PartSwitch.TankType.Load (.ConfigNode node, B9PartSwitch.Fishbones.Context.OperationContext context)
    Rethrow as Exception: Fatal exception while loading tank type RR_Ammonia
    B9PartSwitch.B9TankSettings.ModuleManagerPostLoad ()
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
    ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
    ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
    ModuleManager.<Run>d__16:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

there is a newer version of b9 but its not in station parts so I don't know if I should be messing with it. and I don't think b9 is at fault here.

I think rational resources needs CRP, but it’s not clear from the OP.

@JadeOfMaar can you please clarify?

22 hours ago, Galileo said:

Have you tried using dx11 or OpenGL?

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

Edit: I just ran JNSQ with a full load of visual mods and restock and was under 4 gb with DX11

No I had not (read about there being problems with those). Just gave it a go. At the main menu:
Dx9: 12GB system RAM used, 900MB vRAM used.
Dx11: 8GB system RAM used, 4GB vRAM used.

Looks like I've got room for moar mods :3 ;) Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Jognt

56 minutes ago, Jognt said:

(read about there being problems with those)

Here's the thing about D3D11: You have to have the Textures Unlimited mod installed, otherwise the VAB part icons won't have any textures. You don't actually have to use Textures Unlimited (though some mods have support for its special features), but it's got to be there to fix the part icon problem. That being said, I've been using D3D11 exclusively for some time now and haven't encountered any problems that I think aren't also present when you use D3D9. In fact, it's entirely subjective but it feels like my game performs better with D3D11.

Congrats, Galileo Team. You just turned my 32 GB i4770 PC with GTX 1080 graphics into a potato. :-)

Actually, using D3D11 and Textures Unlimited seems to de-potato my PC again with this planet pack. To answer @jefferyharrell's subjectiveness, NVidia Share's displayed frame rate went from 22 FPS back up to 60 after installing Textures Unlimited and using -force-d3d11.

I also noticed one of the loading screen tips was "Deleting crafts containing the name 'SSTO'..." Is this a challenge?

32 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

NVidia Share's displayed frame rate went from 22 FPS back up to 60 after installing Textures Unlimited and using -force-d3d11.

Good to have some empirical evidence to back up my gut.

While we're on the subject, though, something odd about my game is that I always seem to have a low frame rate and the yellow MET clock sitting on the launchpad and also below like 30,000 meters or so. Doesn't matter what kind of vehicle I'm launching, and it always clears up at altitude. Any guess what might be causing that? I should note that I'm running EVE and Scatterer and tons of other mods as well, so I'm not really serious about my question. Just wondering if you've seen that too.

32 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I also noticed one of the loading screen tips was "Deleting crafts containing the name 'SSTO'..." Is this a challenge?

I have to confess that one of the things I've always hated about KSP is how single-stage-to-orbit is not only possible, if you're not careful it can be unavoidable. You have to go way out of your way to avoid building a launch vehicle that throws itself into a highly elliptical orbit. From the playing I've done so far, JNSQ seems to be very nicely tuned to make two-stage-to-orbit the best way to build a vehicle.

8 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

While we're on the subject, though, something odd about my game is that I always seem to have a low frame rate and the yellow MET clock sitting on the launchpad and also below like 30,000 meters or so. Doesn't matter what kind of vehicle I'm launching, and it always clears up at altitude. Any guess what might be causing that? I should note that I'm running EVE and Scatterer and tons of other mods as well, so I'm not really serious about my question. Just wondering if you've seen that too.

We believe the performance issues are related to terrain scatters.  Performance suffers when close to the ground because that is when the scatters comes into view.  If you find the game unplayable, you can try going into the game's graphics settings and reduce the terrain detail and scatter density, or just turn terrain scatters off completely.  We're working on a solution to the problem.

I have to confess that one of the things I've always hated about KSP is how single-stage-to-orbit is not only possible, if you're not careful it can be unavoidable. You have to go way out of your way to avoid building a launch vehicle that throws itself into a highly elliptical orbit. From the playing I've done so far, JNSQ seems to be very nicely tuned to make two-stage-to-orbit the best way to build a vehicle.

I agree with you about how easy it is to SSTO at stock scale.  Eliminating that was one of our primary goals when selecting the scale of JNSQ.  We don't necessarily want to make it impossible, just difficult.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Congrats, Galileo Team. You just turned my 32 GB i4770 PC with GTX 1080 graphics into a potato. :-)

Actually, using D3D11 and Textures Unlimited seems to de-potato my PC again with this planet pack. To answer @jefferyharrell's subjectiveness, NVidia Share's displayed frame rate went from 22 FPS back up to 60 after installing Textures Unlimited and using -force-d3d11.

If you download the master file from GitHub, I made serious changes to the scatter in stock and BG to improve performance. Would love some feedback regarding that if you want to test it out

5 hours ago, Nightside said:

I think rational resources needs CRP, but it’s not clear from the OP.

@JadeOfMaar can you please clarify?

7 hours ago, snkiz said:

Is life support a requirement now? I'm getting a fatal error from b9 about ammonia resource not being defined. Of course it isn't I don't have CRP or any life support mods.

Rational Resources indeed needs CRP (or Wild Blue Industries in Classic Mode). It's not required for JNSQ's operation at all but exists to add to the overall gameplay challenge. Rational Resources also indiscriminately tries to add tank types to any tank that holds Ore. I didn't think of SSPXr when I wrote that config. SSPXr's tanks are all Ore tanks by default.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Absolutely. :cool:

JNSQ is specifically made to break SSTOs. OPT spaceplanes can't handle it! Believe me, I've been trying.

41 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

See @OhioBob's response above. :D In addition to his, I hate that players go out of their way to create the tiniest, most efficient SSTO possible. Everyone and their mom has a single-stage to Duna (or Eeloo) by now in stock-scale. There will be none of that here. Well, until you develop a working strategy or find fitting engine mods.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

26 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

We believe the performance issues are related to terrain scatters.

Okie dokie, I'll try turning them off during my play time tomorrow and report back. I certainly don't find the game unplayable. I'm lucky enough to be on a beefy computer with a G-Sync monitor, so I hardly notice the hit unless I'm specifically looking for it, or else looking at the color of the MET clock.

On the subject of scatters, does JNSQ have colliders on the terrain scatter? I think I'd enjoy the challenge of navigating around moon boulders while landing. (I haven't been far past LKO in JNSQ yet.)

On the subject of scatters, does JNSQ have colliders on the terrain scatter? I think I'd enjoy the challenge of navigating around moon boulders while landing. (I haven't been far past LKO in JNSQ yet.)

Everything except the grass is solid. It's one of Galileo's little things. ;)

7 minutes ago, KerbalKore said:

What does "MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours" do?

It was discovered that the DLC rocks can only be assigned to a mod planet if that planet uses the template of the specific stock planet it was made for. MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours breaks that restriction.

8 hours ago, Jognt said:

No I had not (read about there being problems with those). Just gave it a go. At the main menu:
Dx9: 12GB system RAM used, 900MB vRAM used.
Dx11: 8GB system RAM used, 4GB vRAM used.

Looks like I've got room for moar mods :3 ;) Thanks a bunch!

Do you have an issue when you use dx11, the re-entry flare disappear at a certain distance?

How do you resolve it?