[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

UPDATE

0.7 Change log

• Performace pass.
  • Adjust the distance in which scatter objects are rendered, including BG scatter to ensure better performance.
  • Fixed Duna Scatterer exposure and high altitude pop in.
  • Adjusted RationalResources to make sure the ore tanks only activate if CRP is present.
  • New ocean texture for Kerbin, Eve and Laythe. Does not show when Scatterer is installed.

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK.
    Spoiler

HOW TO USE THE INSTALLER
    G231MNd.png

WHEN UPDATING JNSQ...
    kb26Ee6.png

Download available in the OP

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

...after editing two lines of code in TAC LS, it works there as well

I can confirm that this fix seems to work. I downloaded your Github repo and figured out how to compile the TAC LS plugin (and lemme tell you, THAT was a thing I had to learn how to do, jeez). Replacing the provided TacLifeSupport.dll with the newly compiled one changed the predictions in the VAB planner window from "3d" to "1d6h," which seems to check out.

Now to give some careful contemplation to the question of just how much life support resources these parts should have. I'm not sure a day and a half is a reasonable amount of on-orbit duration, especially when you consider that phasing orbits for orbital rendezvous can take days by themselves. Maybe a week's on-orbit duration is a more sensible amount. Gotta figure out how to write a Module Manager patch that patches a Module Manager patch.

EDIT: Well, that was easy. If anybody wants it, here's my MM patch that tells TAC LS to add six JNSQ-twelve-hour days (let's call that one Kerbin week) of life support resources to all crewed parts:

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]
{
    @RESOURCE[Food]
    {
        @amount *= 4
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
    @RESOURCE[Water]
    {
        @amount *= 4
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
    @RESOURCE[Oxygen]
    {
        @amount *= 4
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
    @RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
    {
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
    @RESOURCE[Waste]
    {
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
    @RESOURCE[WasteWater]
    {
        @maxAmount *= 4
    }
}

Note that by default, TAC only puts life support resources on parts with a minimum crew requirement, but I play with the No Crew Requirement mod, so ... yeah.

Edited by jefferyharrell

6 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

So I noticed this video show city lights on the dark side of Kerbin.  Does JNSQ have city light configs that are not loading on my install or did you add them?

I had SVE installed by mistake when I took that video... did you also notice the floating trees? :P

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Nope. Whoever made that video installed SVE or some other visual pack for the stock system which is not recommended and probably looks really stupid. 

Yeah, it was me... It was an oversight... I forgot to remove it when I installed JNSQ. It's removed now.

Edited by TheKurgan

36 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

and lemme tell you, THAT was a thing I had to learn how to do, jeez

:D:D

Yep, it's a tough one^^

36 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

Now to give some careful contemplation to the question of just how much life support resources these parts should have. I'm not sure a day and a half is a reasonable amount of on-orbit duration, especially when you consider that phasing orbits for orbital rendezvous can take days by themselves. Maybe a week's on-orbit duration is a more sensible amount. Gotta figure out how to write a Module Manager patch that patches a Module Manager patch.

On the other hand, more resources = more mass you have to deal with. You may want to think about changing the consumption rate instead.

The patch ordering is fairly easy, just be sure to apply your patch, after the patch from TAC LS. You can use :AFTER[TacLifeSupport] or :FINAL for this, but that's a little bit offtopic so feel free to PM me if you need some help :)

@4x4cheesecake Appreciate the offer. I was able to figure out the patching syntax. You raise a very good point about resource mass. I'm gonna try changing on the resource amounts and see how that goes. The obsessive personality in me wants to go all the way back to the basics and be like "Hmm, kerbals really ought to eat 8 oz. every 8 hours" but I know that way lies madness.

34 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

And if we start a new game with it? Is bird necessary to delete the file anyway?

Yep starting a new game does not reset your setting cfg, so it still needs to be deleted

Edited by Galileo

I have a slight issue that I have not figured out yet...

With simple Construction installed, normally you can create "Metal" (for use in making "Rocket Parts) using only Ore... but with Rational Resources installed, it's asking for other stuff... and I can't find where this change is being forced.

I'll get pics in a few min.

37 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I had SVE installed by mistake when I took that video... did you also notice the floating trees? :P

Yeah, it was me... It was an oversight... I forgot to remove it when I installed JNSQ. It's removed now.

Did you happen to have SVT installed too?

3 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

My game takes a few minutes to load... even off a 970 PRO :P

Checking... lol

Nope... wheew

I’m unsure why you are saying floating trees then. Perhaps it’s a cache or something that needs to be deleted somewhere

Just now, Galileo said:

I’m unsure why you are saying floating trees then. Perhaps it’s a cache or something that needs to be deleted somewhere

I reset my graphics detail to max, and removed SVE, and the floaty trees are gone.

24 minutes ago, cantab said:

Do you expect the deleting settings.cfg to be an ongoing thing? I feel that could be a major nuisance for some players, for example anyone using a gamepad or joystick.

No, the settings we have now will stay the same for the foreseeable future so if you plan on playing JNSQ for a while you are set.

what you can do is create a default setting cfg with the joystick settings you like, plus whatever other settings you like (resolution, vsync, blah blah)  that you can copy and paste into the root folder to speed up the process. Once you run JNSQ again it will only overwrite the detail settings and then you only have to choose JNSQ_Low, Med or High

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo Here is a short video I just made of the issue I am having with Rational Resources and Simple Construction.

So far, I have not found the root of the problem.

Video in spoiler:

Spoiler

Edited by TheKurgan

I think I found it, but I don't have a solution YET...

In Simple construction: 

SimpleConstruction\Patches\SC\ISRU.cfg

Line 3

+MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Mono*]]

In RationalResources:

RationalResources\CRP\zConvertOTron.cfg

Line 5

!MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Mono*]] {}

I believe these 2 lines are conflicting?

This might be old news, but I've discovered that the Trajectories mod has a MUH-HASSIVE performance impact on my game during ascents, especially as I get closer to a 95 by 90 km orbit. I turned the mod off (using the provided button) and my frame rate shot way up.

18 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

This might be old news, but I've discovered that the Trajectories mod has a MUH-HASSIVE performance impact on my game during ascents, especially as I get closer to a 95 by 90 km orbit. I turned the mod off (using the provided button) and my frame rate shot way up.

I think trajectories has had that problem for a little while. I may be confusing it with another mod though.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

No, the settings we have now will stay the same for the foreseeable future so if you plan on playing JNSQ for a while you are set.

what you can do is create a default setting cfg with the joystick settings you like, plus whatever other settings you like (resolution, vsync, blah blah)  that you can copy and paste into the root folder to speed up the process. Once you run JNSQ again it will only overwrite the detail settings and then you only have to choose JNSQ_Low, Med or High

Wait.. is THAT why I kept getting an Index out of bounds exception when I opened the settings menu? I didn’t realize the CFG also needed to be deleted on initial install. (I also did not see tags like JNSQ_low/med/high)

@TheKurgan Yes that's a conflict. The ISRU module is being deleted before it can be copied. I'm surprised you have the converter module. it should be unable to exist. You can either:

• Change line 1 to be @PART[MiniISRU,ISRU]:AFTER[SimpleContruction] or
  • Change line 5 to be !MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[#ConverterName[Mono*]]:AFTER[SimpleContruction] {} ...
  • Create a folder named RationalResourcesEasy to trigger that first edit node to not delete any of the stock ISRU modules.