[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

6 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

How exactly do career contracts fare ( be they stock or modded ) with the 2x planet scale?

Of cource the cost of rockets will get more expansive, but most of the cost tend to end in the mission package, which doesn't change when scaled up. As an experience player, but you should be able to combine multiple contracts at the same time and you are still able to make very good profit margins.

Edited by FreeThinker

Should I use the config that optimizes Eve Engines for 10 atm or not

(is eve's atmospheric pressure 10 atm in this mod)

On another note, does anyone know if Restock/Restock+ works okay in this mod?

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:
7 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

On another note, does anyone know if Restock/Restock+ works okay in this mod?

I don't see why it wouldn't, it's designed to be stocklike.

yep, no problem using RS / RS+

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Should I use the config that optimizes Eve Engines for 10 atm or not

(is eve's atmospheric pressure 10 atm in this mod)

Eve's sea level pressure is 10 atm in JNSQ.  If you're planning to land near sea level, then I recommend using the 10 atm config.  If you're planning to land at higher elevation, say greater than 2 km, then you're better off using the standard config.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, panarchist said:

@OhioBob and @Jognt - Thanks for the help. It wasn't my MM skills, it's a mod conflict. Not sure yet if it's Kerbal Konstructs, Kerbalism, or Kerbal Construction Time, or a combination of them, but now I have seasons in JNSQ:

nnktYHI.png

ICpumJa.png

Kerbin nights at 1/4 scale are going to be REALLY long in winter now, I'd imagine.

If anyone here wants a 23 degree tilt to everything, here you go:
https://github.com/panarchist/Toast/releases

Now that there's city lights in JNSQ (Thanks, guys!), I'm going to try to put some Kerbal Konstructs airports together so I have somewhere to fly.

EDIT: It's definitely Kerbalism conflicting with either JNSQ or one of my other mods, and THIS Kopernicus patch I've been working on - no idea why, but if both are installed, it CTDs the game every time when entering Tracking Station view. So if you download it from my Github, please don't use it with Kerbalism without ensuring saves and instance are backed up.

EDIT 2: It's definitely an interaction between Kerbalism and other mods, not Kerbalism itself. JNSQ+Kerbalism+Toast works fine (along with EVE, Scatterer, DOE, and Kerbal Konstructs and Restock/Restock+). If you pile 63 mods on top of it, you get a CTD. So just ignore what I said earlier, and if you want a "simple" axial tilt, then this works.

Gotta say this is awesome! I included it in my new JNSQ save and it makes a huge difference to have to wait for windows to get the right orbit for injections into other bodies. I just realized though that it literally does tilt everything 23 degrees when I landed on the Mun and realized it's not tidally locked anymore. Is it possible to have differential axial tilts to make it and other moons tidally locked to their parent bodies?

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, The-Doctor said:

Question regarding dust storms on Duna with scatterer, I'm not seeing, is this due to not being perfectly aligned due to updates and game versions or not. Or possible it doesn't exist

Dust storms are an EVE thing, not scatterer.  Dust storms are not currently implemented in JNSQ.

Tried to find that super-tall mountain at the coordinates given by @Snark. Sadly, the mountain is not there. Some distance away I did find what I've decided to call "The North Face" based on the real nickname of a mountain in the Swiss Alps and the similar corporate brand name. The terrain has changed a bit, mainly, it's not green around this mountain (but there's some green on the mountain). That is all. (There seems to be another like this in the far south so that's going to need a visit too.)

MzLlDNv.jpg

oxevlMB.jpg

NK81jl6.jpg

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Tried to find that super-tall mountain at the coordinates given by @Snark. Sadly, the mountain is not there. 

Below are the coordinates that Cartographer gives for Kerbin's highest point.  I initially presumed it is the same mountain that @Snark is referring to, but this one is no where near Woomerang (Woomerang is at +45 latitude, not -45).  Could we actually have two 14 km peaks?  I was only aware of the one at the coordinates below.

Highest Point
LAT = -43.9625
LON = 103.9785
ALT = 14249.0251745675

EDIT

I just extracted a Kerbin height map and checked it for the tallest mountain peaks.  There is only one white pixel on the entire map, which is centered on approximately -44.033 latitude, +103.975 longitude.  This is undoubtedly the peak located by Cartographer.  There is another tall peak, though apparently not quite as tall, located at approximately +42.803 latitude, +140.449 longitude (near Woomerang).  I think the second might be Snark's mountain (maybe he got the longitude wrong?).

The coordinates above are limited by the pixel resolution of a 4k height map.  The actually highest points will be nearby, but not precisely at the coordinates indicated.

Edited by OhioBob

On 8/10/2019 at 2:09 PM, kerbnub said:

Gotta say this is awesome! I included it in my new JNSQ save and it makes a huge difference to have to wait for windows to get the right orbit for injections into other bodies. I just realized though that it literally does tilt everything 23 degrees when I landed on the Mun and realized it's not tidally locked anymore. Is it possible to have differential axial tilts to make it and other moons tidally locked to their parent bodies?

Not sure - *I* can't do it, but that's because I don't have the math skills needed to calc the values.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, kerbnub said:

I don't understand, how is it not tidally locked anymore?  I see nothing in the config that should cause Mun to be no longer tidally locked to Kerbin.

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I don't understand, how is it not tidally locked anymore?  I see nothing in the config that should cause Mun to be no longer tidally locked to Kerbin.

Not who you're replying to, but my guess is that from the surface of Mun Kerbin would go north and south 23 degrees above and below the celestial equator each month, unlike Earth in our Moon's sky.

@kerbnub if this is true, there is a mod that adds axial tilt but it's buggy enough that I stopped even trying to use it. The solution is more complex than it seems - and it already seemed pretty complex.

is a

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Not who you're replying to, but my guess is that from the surface of Mun Kerbin would go north and south 23 degrees above and below the celestial equator each month, unlike Earth in our Moon's sky.

That's what I thought he might mean.

@kerbnub, if that's what you're referring to, there's nothing that can be done about it.  To have one face of a moon locked to the planet so that the planet has no (or little) north-south drift, then the moon must have no (or little) axial tilt relative to the axis of its orbit.  In KSP we can incline the orbits, but we can't tilt the axes.  So if we incline a moon's orbit X amount, it follows that the moon's spin axis will be inclined X amount relative to the orbital axis.  There's just no way to get around it with the current KSP.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:52 PM, OhioBob said:

That's what I thought he might mean.

@kerbnub, if that's what you're referring to, there's nothing that can be done about it.  To have one face of a moon locked to the planet so that the planet has no (or little) north-south drift, then the moon must have no (or little) axial tilt relative to the axis of its orbit.  In KSP we can incline the orbits, but we can't tilt the axes.  So if we incline a moon's orbit X amount, it follows that the moon's spin axis will be inclined X amount relative to the orbital axis.  There's just no way to get around it with the current KSP.

and @5thHorseman and @panarchist

thanks for responding. I kinda figured, but nice to have confirmation from those who really know. Kerbin makes a funny shuffle back and forth on Mun's horizon now (with Toast), but I still prefer it to not having seasons :) 

Does RSS work the same way btw? so the Moon there isn't tidally locked?

also on a totally different topic, does Minmus actually have a hidden ocean somewhere, somehow, or why am I getting this?

zcFYVeW.png

1 hour ago, kerbnub said:

also on a totally different topic, does Minmus actually have a hidden ocean somewhere, somehow, or why am I getting this?

It has been years since I last played RSS, but yes, it should have the same issue.  Technically the moon is still tidally locked in that it completes one rotation per revolution.  There just happens to be great deal of latitudinal libration due to the inclination between the moon's rotational axis and the normal to the plane of its orbit.

Minmus in JNSQ has no ocean.  I have no idea why you're getting that contract.  You should probably decline it as there may be no way to fulfil the requirements.

Edited by OhioBob

2 hours ago, kerbnub said:

and @5thHorseman and @panarchist

thanks for responding. I kinda figured, but nice to have confirmation from those who really know. Kerbin makes a funny shuffle back and forth on Mun's horizon now (with Toast), but I still prefer it to not having seasons :) 

zcFYVeW.png

If youre using the Kopernicus bandaid patch for FPS problems, that’s probably why. It gives bodies with no ocean an ocean. So it’d be there, but you shouldn’t be able to get to it :P 

12 hours ago, Jognt said:

If youre using the Kopernicus bandaid patch for FPS problems, that’s probably why. It gives bodies with no ocean an ocean. So it’d be there, but you shouldn’t be able to get to it :P 

That explains it; I am using that.