[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

16 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

at least hope for an easy way to disable them.

The common way to add city lights is using EVE, so if Team Galileo is not going to reinvent the wheel for city lights in JNSQ, there will be an easy way to disable them ;) Can be done ingame in the city lights manager of EVE or by removing the config from the game files. I do this on every install which includes SVE ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Sorry my bad english.

Good day.
How can I make more clouds on Kerbin?
The clouds can be seen in the game, but they are few. I think.

And I like the mods from Near Future Technologies. How will the change in Delta-V affect them?

Spoiler

HAVPMSC.jpg

Edited by Seere

2 hours ago, Seere said:

There are no clouds on Kerbin. Any little puffs you see are actually your rocket exhaust "wrapping around" the physics bubble and being seen again as they pass by. I've actually not seen that in a while and I thought they fixed it.

There is a mod that adds clouds. Actually I think there are a few but the most common ones are EVE and SVE, which are forks of each other I think. I don't use them so don't follow them.

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

There are no clouds on Kerbin. Any little puffs you see are actually your rocket exhaust "wrapping around" the physics bubble and being seen again as they pass by. I've actually not seen that in a while and I thought they fixed it.

I do not know whether to LMAO! at the sarcasm, or be very worried that you are serious.

3 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I do not know whether to LMAO! at the sarcasm, or be very worried that you are serious.

Totally serious, but only if you're talking about little puff balls about the size of your rocket exhaust puffs, that you pass when going up from launch.

Anything else, I gots no clue except the steadfast ingrained knowledge that stock Kerbin has no clouds.

I'll add, I open up tons of tabs when I start browsing and visit them in turn, and I didn't actually realize this was the JNSQ thread. So I'll add that it's possible the question was asked by someone who installed EVE but just wants MORE clouds. In that case, visit the EVE and SVE threads I linked to and poke around there.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Oh...

No, JNSQ has EVE configs, but I believe the clouds are intentionally sparse.

So someone used to the stock system with say, EVE and SVE installed, would think that there are very few clouds... comparatively.

The clouds not showing on the menu screen is a thing that has happened on and off with various updates basically since EVE existed.

Edited by TheKurgan

14 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

In that case, visit the EVE and SVE threads I linked to and poke around there.

Actually installing SVE won't work, it causes really weird looking atmosphere and clouds when installed along side JNSQ.

I know... I made that mistake when I first started playing this mod.

Part of SVE is EVE configs, and JNSQ has it's own configs :)

But as you indicated, poking around in those threads may help him modify the configs to add more clouds.

Edited by TheKurgan

37 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

There is a mod that adds clouds. Actually I think there are a few but the most common ones are EVE and SVE, which are forks of each other I think. I don't use them so don't follow them.

I'm afraid I can not play without clouds :unsure:

Spoiler

eubjlJP.jpg

Edited by Seere

38 minutes ago, Seere said:

I feel the same about playing WITH clouds but NOT city lights. :) Though for me load times and in-game performance are already too high and adding something else will have to add a LOT to get me to accept more performance losses.

5 hours ago, Seere said:

The fewer clouds are by design.  We got tired of the look of the heavily clouded home worlds in EVE, SVE, GPP, and other packs.  We wanted our Kerbin to look different, and allow you to see more of its surface (we like its surface too much to hide it with clouds).  If you want more clouds, you'll need to replace the cloud texture with one of your own.

1 hour ago, Seere said:

Is JNSQ compatible with Extrasolar? 

JNSQ was designed with the intention that it would be used alone with no other planet packs.  This is primarily because JNSQ is natively 1/4 real scale, so it will conflict in scale with anything else installed with it.  That being said, there's probably no reason it wouldn't load with other planet packs installed.  But since that's not our intent, no testing has been done in that regard.  If you want to try Extrasolar, you'll just have to install it and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Seere said:

Earlier you said you wanted more clouds.  Are you saying now you have no clouds?  If you are getting no clouds then you've likely installed something incorrectly.  This is what JNSQ's Kerbin should look like in game.

1m9fG9w.png

Edited by OhioBob

@SeerePerhaps because Extrasolar is exactly that, an extra solar system outside the JNSQ solar system, I don't see why it wouldn't work... and Extrasolar doesn't have any EVE configs or anything to conflict with JNSQ.

You should try it and let the Mod owners know if it works.

Edited by TheKurgan

12 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@SeerePerhaps because Extrasolar is exactly that, an extra solar system outside the JNSQ solar system, I don't see why it wouldn't work... 

I just did some checking and the red dwarf in Extrasolar has a semimajor axis nearly twice that of Nara.  But Nara is in a very eccentric orbit.  I didn't check the geometry, but just based in the distances involved, it is conceivable that Nara could wander into the red dwarf's sphere on influence.  (The SOI edge is 2.2659E+12 m from Kerbol, while Nara apoapsis is 2.3112E+12 m.)  Since Nara is on rails, that probably doesn't matter.

30 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

@SeerePerhaps because Extrasolar is exactly that, an extra solar system outside the JNSQ solar system, I don't see why it wouldn't work... and Extrasolar doesn't have any EVE configs or anything to conflict with JNSQ.

You should try it and let the Mod owners know if it works.

when installing extrasolar does not work sunflare of JNSQ
I think this will not be the last bug. It's a pity. I don’t want to uninstall JNSQ

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Since Nara is on rails, that probably doesn't matter.

What happens when two spheres of influence overlap? That is to say, when a spacecraft is at a point where there are two applicable spheres of influence? My hypothesis is that the game crashes and kills a puppy.

32 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

What happens when two spheres of influence overlap? That is to say, when a spacecraft is at a point where there are two applicable spheres of influence? My hypothesis is that the game crashes and kills a puppy.

That's a good question in regard to spacecraft, I don't know what would happen.  There's a good chance the SOI won't overlap -- there's more to the geometry than just comparing min/max distances, and I haven't done the math.  But a simple precaution is to push Valentine's semimajor axis out a little farther.  Just a couple percent would assure there's no chance of overlap.

2 hours ago, Seere said:

when installing extrasolar does not work sunflare of JNSQ
I think this will not be the last bug. It's a pity. I don’t want to uninstall JNSQ

Extrasolar has its own configs that may not be compatible with what JNSQ is doing.  Since JNSQ is not recommended for use with other planet packs, we feel no responsibility to provide support.  You're going to have to figure how to make it work yourself.

2 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

Uhm, the game has 1-body physics. Every moon is always in 2 SOIs, that doesn’t crash the game either. 

I wouldnt be be surprised if Nara would just pop in and out of the SOI like nothing happened. Any craft leaving nara’s SOI in this ‘peekaboo’ period would then be in the other planet’s SOI though. 

Just now, Jognt said:

Uhm, the game has 1-body physics.

Yeah. Here's what I was getting at: You have two planets orbiting the sun. Each planet has an SOI, and outside that SOI you're in the solar SOI, because the sun is the parent body of both planets. But what happens if those two planets move such that their SOIs overlap? Since both planets are parented to the sun, my guess is that the game won't know what to do, and either the results will be surprising or it'll just crash to the desktop. Just guessing, though.

Just now, jefferyharrell said:

Yeah. Here's what I was getting at: You have two planets orbiting the sun. Each planet has an SOI, and outside that SOI you're in the solar SOI, because the sun is the parent body of both planets. But what happens if those two planets move such that their SOIs overlap? Since both planets are parented to the sun, my guess is that the game won't know what to do, and either the results will be surprising or it'll just crash to the desktop. Just guessing, though.

Why do I have the sudden urge to see what happens if I Increase every planet’s SOI by 10x...

2 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

Back when Real Solar System was its own mod independent of any other mod I was working on an update for it and I accidentally put Deimos too close to Mars.

As in I was sitting on the surface of Mars and watched a Deimos coming over the horizon at me and it smashed into me and wrecked the ship and killed all the Kerbals.

That was bad but it didn't crash the game.

TL;DR

I accidentally Deimos. The whole Deimos. Is this bad?

4 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

4 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Why do I have the sudden urge to see what happens if I Increase every planet’s SOI by 10x...

I think Space Engine exists for exactly these questions :) And what happens if you replace one of the planets with a black hole.

BTW, I re-ran the pyramids anomaly contract and was able to get the mission update, so no there is nothing fundamentally conflicting between JNSQ and the anomaly surveyor contracts.