Galileo

[1.7.x] JNSQ [0.8.1] [28 Sept 2019]

Recommended Posts

Is BG science and ground objects supported in JNSQ now? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using JNSQ with KSP 1.7.3 and BG expansion.  I accepted and successfully completed a contract to scan a surface object on Kerbin (I think it was called a Bilboa Tree), with the OP-E scan arm.  Then I accepted contracts to scan Mun Craters on the Mun and Olivine formations on Minmus, but using the same rover and scanner, I cannot get these scans to work.  Is it possible to scan surface objects off-Kerbin at this time with JNSQ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello and thank you @Galileo@OhioBob and all other contributors for the great job.

I did the Mun and Minmus, everything worked fine. I tried Duna yesterday and... Going near the ground (alt around 20km I think) my PC went full potato. I checked the thread for hints, lowered scatters, decreased settings (I had deleted settings.cfg after installing the mod), removed EVE and scatterer, force dx11, I still have a big performance drop.

I play on KSP 1.7.3 with updated DLCs. JNSQ 0.7 (and I updated RR to 0.8.6). MFI1.2.6 and MM4.0.2.

Anything I may have been doing wrong ?

Edit : I passed the 500h mark on this mod ! And 50 years ago, N. Armstrong's first step on the moon !

Edit 2 : In the settings..... JNSQ_Default,.... problem solved. I love you !

Edited by Challyss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Quickspin said:

Using JNSQ with KSP 1.7.3 and BG expansion.  I accepted and successfully completed a contract to scan a surface object on Kerbin (I think it was called a Bilboa Tree), with the OP-E scan arm.  Then I accepted contracts to scan Mun Craters on the Mun and Olivine formations on Minmus, but using the same rover and scanner, I cannot get these scans to work.  Is it possible to scan surface objects off-Kerbin at this time with JNSQ?

I've found a similar issue. Turning on the BG ROC cheats doesn't show any possible scan points either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BigFatStupidHead @Quickspin @Tyko

The BG scatters are supported, but for some reason Squad changed the name of all of the models in 1.7.3 and made some other questionable changes, but it’s nothing we aren’t going to be able to fix. These changes broke the scan points unfortunately.

We have some cool changes coming in the next update, but the release of that will be a little ways out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, Galileo said:

Looks like another issue with graphic settings. On JNSQ_High, it’s in the ground, right where it should be. Adjusting the terrain detail apparently raises, and lowers the terrain. 

 

I forgot to get back to this, sorry, and thanks for the suggestion. However, where are these detail settings? I've looked in both the Settings menu in the main UI as well as the difficulty menu,and I see no JNSQ_Anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

I forgot to get back to this, sorry, and thanks for the suggestion. However, where are these detail settings? I've looked in both the Settings menu in the main UI as well as the difficulty menu,and I see no JNSQ_Anything. 

The JNSQ_whatever labels only appear the first time you set up JNSQ. It’s the top left slider in the Graphics menu. 

Youll probably notice that the last couple of options are all called “high”, the last “high” is actually “jnsq_high”. 

The order is: low, default/medium, high, jnsq_low, jnsq_default, jnsq_high. 

Your settings.cfg will save the setting properly, this glitch is purely visual but can make it hard to know what people mean by “jnsq_high” etc. 

im on mobile at the moment so if you let me know if you’re still having trouble finding it, I can give more detailed instructions. 

Edited by Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I forgot to get back to this, sorry, and thanks for the suggestion. However, where are these detail settings? I've looked in both the Settings menu in the main UI as well as the difficulty menu,and I see no JNSQ_Anything. 

I had this same issue (jnsq_xxxx settings not appearing), then I remembered that I had not deleted the .cfg file after adding JNSQ.  Went ahead and did that, after several days of playing, and the settings appeared.  Yes, it required me to redo all my previous settings, but didn't affect my saves in any way that I noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

I had this same issue (jnsq_xxxx settings not appearing), then I remembered that I had not deleted the .cfg file after adding JNSQ.  Went ahead and did that, after several days of playing, and the settings appeared.  Yes, it required me to redo all my previous settings, but didn't affect my saves in any way that I noticed.

gotta delete the setting.cfg in ksp root directory while installing JNSQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

gotta delete the setting.cfg in ksp root directory while installing JNSQ

That was only necessary for that one update specifically if I recall correctly, though Galileo can chip in if I’m wrong :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Galileo said:

@BigFatStupidHead @Quickspin @Tyko

The BG scatters are supported, but for some reason Squad changed the name of all of the models in 1.7.3 and made some other questionable changes, but it’s nothing we aren’t going to be able to fix. These changes broke the scan points unfortunately.

We have some cool changes coming in the next update, but the release of that will be a little ways out. 

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just caught a tiny asteroid in JNSQ. Except it caught me... off guard...

It reported as a tiny A-Class object in the Tracking Station and was on collision course with Kerbin. I cancelled all my production in Kerbal Construction Time and sent a tug with 4k Delta V. When this entity appeared in my physics range I knew I f@#%ed up. After attaching my ant to this mountain the game reported it had only 1 dV. Couldn't rotate the asteroid even an arcsecond with RCS and Reaction Wheels. I usually name asteroids starting with the letter of their class to keep track of them. I named him Armageddon. Impact in 10 hours. Bruce Willis, where are you?

wex1Ni3.jpg

It's the first time in ages I feel powerless in KSP. I like it :3

 

Edited by Enceos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Enceos Everything is bigger in JNSQ.... ;) Yay for satisfied customers.

Huh.. So that's what all those "One simple trick to make it bigger" spam mails meant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jognt said:

The JNSQ_whatever labels only appear the first time you set up JNSQ. It’s the top left slider in the Graphics menu. 

Youll probably notice that the last couple of options are all called “high”, the last “high” is actually “jnsq_high”. 

The order is: low, default/medium, high, jnsq_low, jnsq_default, jnsq_high. 

Your settings.cfg will save the setting properly, this glitch is purely visual but can make it hard to know what people mean by “jnsq_high” etc. 

im on mobile at the moment so if you let me know if you’re still having trouble finding it, I can give more detailed instructions. 

Thanks. So I assume I have to edit my settings.config file, or do I delete it to access those settings?.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Thanks. So I assume I have to edit my settings.config file, or do I delete it to access those settings?.

You can still drag the slider in the Graphics menu and it'll save the correct preset. It just won't give you visual feedback on the actual preset.

Short version: Deleting settings.cfg will create a fresh one. You'll need to re-do your settings, but the Terrain Detail slider will show the correct names. Editing it is also an option, see the "Long version" below.

Long version:

Spoiler

 

If you have three or four positions on the Terrain Quality slider that say "High", then selecting the first one will apply the preset "High", the second one will apply the preset "JNSQ_Low", etc, with the last one being "JNSQ_High".
If you don't mind re-doing your game settings then removing settings.cfg in your KSP root dir is the easiest way to have the names show properly on the slider for that session. (they'll go back to being 'weird' afterwards)
If you do mind re-doing your settings and you feel comfortable with editing the file directly, then removing the TERRAIN{} bit (and all the presets in between) will also make JNSQ write its settings to settings.cfg again.
Note that I only recommend doing this if you know how to follow the curly brackets to check what is in/out of them.

In short, if you just want to set the game to "JNSQ_high" then you can just move the Terrain Detail slider all the way to the right.

Here's what it looks like on my system, this is normal after the first session: https://imgur.com/a/gpSCqqO
It's just using the "High" label for JNSQ_low/default/high because 'it doesn't realize their names' so to speak. But it does know they're different behind the scenes and will apply the proper settings based on the position of the slider.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Nnimrod said:

What are you guys doing for contract packs?

 

On 6/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

We're not doing anything for contract packs. Any effort in that department is being left to the players who want enough to have a compatible contract pack.

 

Hello, so recently over the past week or so I've been working on a modification of some of the Probes Before Crew configs in order to rebalance it for and make it compatible with JNSQ. My rebalance is currently in the testing phase, but I have created a forum thread in the addon development section in order to hopefully get some volunteers to help me test the balance. @JadeOfMaar @Galileo  I was wondering what the potential would be for mentioning the rebalance under the recommended mods in the OP (or somewhere else people can see it) for those who desire a contract pack for JNSQ? In theory the contract pack should work just fine without the other aspects of Probes Before Crew installed if people don't want that whole package, since it's made exclusively out of .cfg files it should be quite modular.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jognt said:

You can still drag the slider in the Graphics menu and it'll save the correct preset. It just won't give you visual feedback on the actual preset.

Short version: Deleting settings.cfg will create a fresh one. You'll need to re-do your settings, but the Terrain Detail slider will show the correct names. Editing it is also an option, see the "Long version" below.

Long version:

  Reveal hidden contents

 

If you have three or four positions on the Terrain Quality slider that say "High", then selecting the first one will apply the preset "High", the second one will apply the preset "JNSQ_Low", etc, with the last one being "JNSQ_High".
If you don't mind re-doing your game settings then removing settings.cfg in your KSP root dir is the easiest way to have the names show properly on the slider for that session. (they'll go back to being 'weird' afterwards)
If you do mind re-doing your settings and you feel comfortable with editing the file directly, then removing the TERRAIN{} bit (and all the presets in between) will also make JNSQ write its settings to settings.cfg again.
Note that I only recommend doing this if you know how to follow the curly brackets to check what is in/out of them.

In short, if you just want to set the game to "JNSQ_high" then you can just move the Terrain Detail slider all the way to the right.

Here's what it looks like on my system, this is normal after the first session: https://imgur.com/a/gpSCqqO
It's just using the "High" label for JNSQ_low/default/high because 'it doesn't realize their names' so to speak. But it does know they're different behind the scenes and will apply the proper settings based on the position of the slider.

 

 

Thanks again for the detailed explanation. I will probably just nuke the terrain section in the file, and will reply if I'm still having problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CoriW said:

-snip-

Consider it done. Thank you for your time and effort!! It’s much appreciated and I know of a few streamers that will be happy to hear the PBC is supported now. 

 

Edit: I think the spacedock link you posted to download your mod is not working, unfortunately. 

YCgqFli.jpg

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Galileo I think color of Arid Mountains biome is too close to the Mountains biome for Kerbin. The game can't distinguish between the two, I can't find Arid Mountains on any ScanSat maps, only regular mountains. The color selection in Photoshop did decide that all mountains are Arid Mountains, couldn't find the color for regular ones in Kerbin_Biome_8k.png

My only grievance with this issue is that I keep getting contracts for a nonexistent biome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Galileo said:

Consider it done. Thank you for your time and effort!! It’s much appreciated and I know of a few streamers that will be happy to hear the PBC is supported now. 

 

Edit: I think the spacedock link you posted to download your mod is not working, unfortunately. 

YCgqFli.jpg

Should be fixed, forgot to hit the publish button. This is my first time using SpaceDock lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Enceos said:

@Galileo I think color of Arid Mountains biome is too close to the Mountains biome for Kerbin. The game can't distinguish between the two, I can't find Arid Mountains on any ScanSat maps, only regular mountains. The color selection in Photoshop did decide that all mountains are Arid Mountains, couldn't find the color for regular ones in Kerbin_Biome_8k.png

My only grievance with this issue is that I keep getting contracts for a nonexistent biome.

The color for Aird Mountains is physically missing from the biome map, causing biome errors.The fix hasn't been released yet. We're aiming for another fairly big update (and granted the download size) that's why we haven't done so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The color for Aird Mountains is physically missing from the biome map, causing biome errors.The fix hasn't been released yet. We're aiming for another fairly big update (and granted the download size) that's why we haven't done so.

Awesome! :D

Any word on whether the JNSQ ground features implementation suffers the same performance problem as the stock+Kopernicus ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znriOxMEExA

(0:55 vs 8:38)

Edited by Jognt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried out the mod for the first time.  Haven't done much yet, but so far it looks great!  :)

Out of curiosity, though... I notice that when I start a new career, it's just before sunset at KSC, rather than being noon as in stock.  Was just wondering, is that by design, or just an accident?  (I've always found it convenient that new games start at midday, so that there's daylight available for the first few missions.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.