[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@New Horizons There are 5 major facilities (only 4 are actual full blown launch sites), 2 harbors and 9 airports. (In addition there are 2 misc facilities hiding in the mountains.) Yeager's helipad should not be visible. I didn't check these things in career mode (or a fresh sandbox for that matter)... You need to find them all (with much welcomed help from SCANsat) and then you have to go to them and buy (open) their spawn points to use them.

To post a picture you need to host it somewhere like Photobucket Imgur, get the direct link, and paste that link to the forum. The forum then embeds and displays the pic. If you have already launched something you will immediately notice two nearest facilities.

Well, it seems KK isn't the right additional mod for me, way to much content I wouldn't use anyway and somehow to complicated to set up. I will try to set up some more Space Centers with good old KSC++.

One more question, if I might ask. JNSQ contains some kind of working Kronometer. Thus an separate install is not needed anymore?

@New Horizons I fail to see how KK isn't the right additional mod, neither how it's too complicated:

1. Install Kerbal Konstructs
  2. Install Omega's Stockalike Structures (very lightweight asset pack that gives you pieces other than the built-in to use)
  3. Go to Difficulty Settings in your save(s) and turn off KK's toggle for "Use last launchsite" since it breaks the space center scene
  • to much content I wouldn't use anyway
  • I will try to set up some more Space Centers with good old KSC++.

I find these statements contradictory. There are 14+ sites waiting to be found in JNSQ, 4 of which let you launch rockets, 2 of which are merely things to find which can help your career mid-game, and while the 9 airports are for decoration they can still be useful themselves. The only possible complication is that players must go out and find them and buy them. KSC++ is a single space center, really only an expansion to the KSC and doesn't give you reason to explore Kerbin, especially this much bigger Kerbin, which is why I have the space centers scattered all around. Also, if KCT no longer works with KK then that's very unfortunate. I understand that.

KSC++ needs KK in order to operate anyway, so there's no evading it if you want more space centers, and there's no other mod like KK.

Indeed, a separate Kronometer install is no longer needed. Players tend to forget to get that mod separately.

@JadeOfMaar

I understand your irritation. What I wanted to say was "good old KSCSwitcher" not KSC++, my mistake. Sorry. 

Acutally I am not that interested in exploring the home planet, but further more I am aiming for a game play, which is pretty much restricted by low funding and by Kerbal Konstruction Time, so it is important to have other Space Centers working early on. 

But nice to hear that Kerbal Konstruction Time might/or might have worked with Kerbal Constructs and its variants. Maybe a thing to remember of, when KSP 1.8 with its better garbage collector comes out.

2 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

But nice to hear that Kerbal Konstruction Time might/or might have worked with Kerbal Constructs and its variants. Maybe a thing to remember of, when KSP 1.8 with its better garbage collector comes out.

KCT *definitely* works with KK. There were a lot of issues back in the day, but the devs of both mods resolved them over a year ago. There might be a few minor lingering issues, but not anything major.

16 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Okey, still much to learn. So I need KK + Omega's asset pack?

Is their a link to an official version? Only found this:

JNSQ is not pointing out its requirements for a full install clearly. Such things seem hidden in the long and very informative (if you read it) ;-) text at download section. 

That's the forum link, and it'll get you to the download. OSSNTR can be found on Spacedock here.

As for pointing out requirements clearly, not to put too fine a point on it, but Galileo states right up front that JNSQ doesn't do a lot of handholding. I'd agree it could be made a little more explicit that KK is required to see the extra bases @JadeOfMaar added, but the other requirements are all in there.

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@New Horizons There are 5 major facilities (only 4 are actual full blown launch sites), 2 harbors and 9 airports. (In addition there are 2 misc facilities hiding in the mountains.) Yeager's helipad should not be visible. I didn't check these things in career mode (or a fresh sandbox for that matter)... You need to find them all (with much welcomed help from SCANsat) and then you have to go to them and buy (open) their spawn points to use them.

To post a picture you need to host it somewhere like Photobucket Imgur, get the direct link, and paste that link to the forum. The forum then embeds and displays the pic. If you have already launched something you will immediately notice two nearest facilities.

I finally got to play around with that last night and this morning. Outstanding work! You've certainly been busy the last few months. Launched from Yaeger this morning. My only (minor) complaint is that a lot of the bases just have a numerical reference rather than a "proper" name, so it's hard to remember which to select in some cases. Looks awesome, though.

15 hours ago, subyng said:

Why was the desert airfield removed in the latest update?

It wasn't, unless you have Kerbal Konstucts installed. It is replaced by a new airfield with KK. If you want the original back, you will need to uninstall KK. 

15 hours ago, subyng said:

Why was the desert airfield removed in the latest update?

It's removed because I built the Darude base exactly to replace and surpass it. The same would be the case for Woomerang but I don't know the key for that so they need to coexist, my Woomera2 is a few km away from Woomerang. Now this is not a problem for those who still don't have Making History. ;)

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It wasn't, unless you have Kerbal Konstucts installed. It is replaced by a new airfield with KK. If you want the original back, you will need to uninstall KK.

Actually KK can stay, but removing Omega's stockalike structures will cause the MH launch sites to return. They are disabled if both KK and Omega's are installed.

I built Woomera2 and Darude specifically to replace and surpass Woomerang and Dessert. My bases have more features to explore beyond just one lonely pad. Unfortunately I don't know the keys to make Woomerang disappear so it and Woomera2 coexist.

Why not update the actual dependency list in the OP and rely on that? I know I didn’t install kronometer back then because it was in the ‘supported’ list instead of ‘dependencies’. 

Bundled dependencies always tend to get out of date, separate but listed dependencies go a long way in reducing hassle. 

Edited by Jognt

22 minutes ago, Jognt said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but why not update the actual dependency list in the OP and rely on that? I know I didn’t install kronometer back then because it was in the ‘supported’ list instead of ‘dependencies’. 

Bundled dependencies always tend to get out of date, separate but listed dependencies go a long way in reducing hassle. 

Except the developer for Kronometer is a dev on the team that made JNSQ..

Edited by Galileo

44 minutes ago, Jognt said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but why not update the actual dependency list in the OP and rely on that? I know I didn’t install kronometer back then because it was in the ‘supported’ list instead of ‘dependencies’. 

The problem is most people don't think to grab Kronometer when they grab JNSQ, this may even still apply if Galileo did mention it there. And we own Kronometer, and it's not going to need to update again for a very long time. This should have been the case with Rational Resources though. A lot of trouble came out of that one.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The problem is most people don't think to grab Kronometer when they grab JNSQ, this may even still apply if Galileo did mention it there. And we own Kronometer, and it's not going to need to update again for a very long time. This should have been the case with Rational Resources though. A lot of trouble came out of that one.

People aren't going to grab Kronometer if it's on the Supported/Recommended list instead of the Required/Dependencies list. I didn't figure it was needed either until I silently read other people write about it and figured "Gee, may be a good idea to grab that later."

It's clear you guys want to deliver a polished and complete solution where the user can "set it and forget it" and not worry about stuff.
However: Like you experienced with RR: You never know when you'll want to update/change something, and it's why dependencies are so commonplace.

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Except the developer for Kronometer is a dev on the team that made JNSQ..

Even LGG has his ToolbarController/ClickThroughBlocker Dependencies. Even though he is both the dev & team.

Regardless; Your mod, your call. ;)

Edited by Jognt

Hi everyone,

I installed JNSQ for the first time when its latest release came out, and I'm really enjoying it. However, a recurring problem is kind of ruining my experience a bit : about a third of the time I Revert to Launch or to VAB/SPH, the game crashes. I have no idea why. Is there a simple fix ? Should I provide crash logs ? Is it a known bug ?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Mopoii said:

Hi everyone,

I installed JNSQ for the first time when its latest release came out, and I'm really enjoying it. However, a recurring problem is kind of ruining my experience a bit : about a third of the time I Revert to Launch or to VAB/SPH, the game crashes. I have no idea why. Is there a simple fix ? Should I provide crash logs ? Is it a known bug ?

Thanks in advance

Link us to your output logs. Crash logs won't be necessary. 

6 hours ago, Mopoii said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

This happens to me as well (not a third of the time, but after reverting/loading a quicksave too much I eventually crash to desktop) and I believe this is simply a memory issue with KSP. Everytime you reload, KSP uses a bit more memory which doesn't seem to get freed up. JNSQ itself uses a lot of memory so you will run out of memory a lot faster than on a stock install. 

Edited by subyng

45 minutes ago, Mopoii said:

I've looked in C:\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data , where I seem to understand the output_log.txt file should be, however it doesn't seem to be there. First time I do this sry

Scroll down to where it says “logs”.

Im with @subyng in that it’s likely ram-based. Have Task Manager open in the background to see how much ram was in use at the time of the crash.