[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@Mopoii Squad moved the location of the output/crash logs, with the last Unity/KSP 1.4.0 update...
nathan's thread is outdated as to the locations...
On Windows, theyre now in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program... idk where they are for OS/Linux vOv

Edited by Stone Blue

On 10/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I built Woomera2 and Darude specifically to replace and surpass Woomerang and Dessert. My bases have more features to explore beyond just one lonely pad. Unfortunately I don't know the keys to make Woomerang disappear so it and Woomera2 coexist.

Okay so I can see neither Woomera2 or Darude. Do I have to discover them somehow?

14 hours ago, subyng said:

Okay so I can see neither Woomera2 or Darude. Do I have to discover them somehow?

Most likely, yes (using SCANsat) and that is due to them being available to everyone to use, not just owners of Making History.

3 minutes ago, mateusviccari said:

Had anyone tried playing with the new 1.8 update? Is it compatible? If not, does it generally take long for the mod to be updated?

This update to KSP is significant. This mod will not be updated until Kopernicus is, (Kopernicus is version locked).

The update to new Unity engine is likely to cause more work for modders than previous updates so it may be some time before a lot of mods are update.  Best thing you can do is play your previous 1.7.3 version and be patient for everyone to catch up with 1.8.

5 minutes ago, mateusviccari said:

Had anyone tried playing with the new 1.8 update? Is it compatible? If not, does it generally take long for the mod to be updated?

Kopernicus is version locked (Absolutely remember this) and many mods that have plugins (in this case, Kopernicus, a dependency) need to be recompiled because of how big the 1.8 update is. How long a given mod takes to update depends on some very wide variables: Free time; motivation to do anything in KSP; How complicated the mod is; Stubborn issues that crop up.

JNSQ is going to take a while on its own because of its size and the next set of new features.

DuBx8Ap.png

While granted I am doing illegal things making Astronomers Visual Pack work with JNSQ, did you guys intend for Laythe to be this uh, grey? 

I mean, Im falling in love with it and tuned the AVP clouds to match this general scheme, I"m just curious as to what was the intention there with Laythes colors. 

(and incidentally, it appears that Laythe's planetshine color doesn't change given the new color, meaning vessels still shine a bright blue despite this. Was an easy fix for me but I'm unsure if that was just something thats been overlooked or if my install was just borked) 

8 minutes ago, Galileo said:

@G'th Laythe is not longer the vacation destination it is in the stock game.  It's rather gloomy and It is boiling with Subaquatic volcanoes, with clouds residing near sea level. It's also grey lol

Fantastic! Haha

On 10/18/2019 at 2:09 AM, Pleb said:

After playing this I can't play stock scale anymore, it really highlights how OP the engines are.

I feel exactly the same. JNSQ is providing me with great new interest in the game.

The thing that I found doing a career game with Making History, a life support mod and CTT was that getting enough science to reach first kerbaled Mun landings in Apollo style was impractical. Too many 3.75 or even larger late career parts are needed to lift a CSM & LM set up to Mun orbit in one launch. I wound up doing a Munar orbit rendezvous kerbaled Mun program based on 3 launches for the initial mission and then 2 launches each thereafter. First (a) a reusable MOL-like Mun orbit "Gateway" station and then (b) LMs and (c) CSMs  using Titan IIIC class "kerbal-rated" :P launchers. It looks like I will need to unlock almost all the tech tree before the first kerbal gets to walk on Duna :).

Thanks for the great mod.

20 minutes ago, subyng said:

Does anyone play with JNSQ + Deadly Reentry and has been able to return a spaceplane from orbit?

JNSQ + Deadly Reentry is generally a bad idea.  I haven't done it, but @Rocketology streamed it.  It was almost impossible to keep his stuff from burning up.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

While I was watching, low orbit.

20 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

Doesn't JNSQ scale make reentry tough enough? I always use up all my ablator and have lost a vessel when I was careful. 

I'm guessing increased speed of re-entry increases atmospheric pressure and therefore heat..

I haven't had any issues reentering from low orbit with DRE, although almost all of my ablator does get used up. Entering from an elliptical orbit about halfway to the Mun was also doable just by a hair. DRE as far as I know doesn't change amount of heat a part received, but it does make parts heat up faster if they don't have a heatshield. 

Edited by subyng

28 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

Doesn't JNSQ scale make reentry tough enough? I always use up all my ablator and have lost a vessel when I was careful. 

I'm guessing increased speed of re-entry increases atmospheric pressure and therefore heat.

Dynamic pressure is proportional to velocity squared, while heating rate is proportional to velocity cubed.  So as speed goes up, heating increases much more than dynamic pressure.  That is why it is so much easier for a craft traveling at high velocity to overheat and burn up before it has sufficiently slowed down.  Reentry velocities in JNSQ are about 63% higher than they are at stock scale, thus making heat a much bigger thing to deal with.

Edited by OhioBob

50 minutes ago, subyng said:

I haven't had any issues reentering from low orbit with DRE, although almost all of my ablator does get used up. Entering from an elliptical orbit about halfway to the Mun was also doable just by a hair. DRE as far as I know doesn't change amount of heat a part received, but it does make parts heat up faster if they don't have a heatshield. 

Reeentry with the 2.5m heatshield from LKO was possible, but not the 1.25m - even with just the Mk 1 crew capsule. I tried various reentry angles, too steep, it would just pop, everything else, you would simply run out of ablator and pop. When I first started I had stock reentry heat set to 120% + DRE, not even a 2.5m capsule would survive, so reduced to 100% + DRE, 1.25M was a NOGO and the 1.875M could squeak by a hair if reentry was perfectly executed every time. I'd say 2 in 5 were successful, so I just ended up removing DRE and setting stock reentry heat back to 120%. Even then, it's a challenge to get a 1.25m capsule back w/o popping, a 1.875m would use 90%+ of ablator, and the 2.5m could survive a Munar return using about 98% of ablator.

2 hours ago, subyng said:

Does anyone play with JNSQ + Deadly Reentry and has been able to return a spaceplane from orbit?

I feel like out of nowhere I started to notice that my shuttle nose gear was suddenly ALWAYS burning up no matter what and it used to not be a problem. The only thing that has changed between now and then is me using at stations at an altitude of like 250km to one that is now 100km but I would imagine lower orbit = less energy on reentry?