[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

If I understand correctly using surface features requires starting a new save? So, if I start a new career now with the current version of JNSQ, then I will not have surface features even when new JNSQ with surface features support is out? So I should wait with starting new career until new JNSQ is out if I'd like to play it fith surface features?

1 hour ago, Walker said:

If I understand correctly using surface features requires starting a new save? So, if I start a new career now with the current version of JNSQ, then I will not have surface features even when new JNSQ with surface features support is out? So I should wait with starting new career until new JNSQ is out if I'd like to play it fith surface features?

That should do the trick: 

4 hours ago, Walker said:

JNSQ is not set up for the surface features at the moment. I started work on it last night and will likely finish it today at some point.

54 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Btw: is there a reason for the absence of  a .version file or did you just forget to add one? :)

Not a fan of annoying pop ups in mods that tend to work from version to version. Good antes, this mod requires an updated Kopernicus, but doesn’t mean it won’t work. 

One of my bigger pet peeves is getting a “bug” report and it’s due to a version pop up. None of my mods have broken since 1.2.x. Dependencies have, but my mods that use those dependencies work as soon as they update. 

On 5/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, Galileo said:

Compatibility for mods that expect the stock planets with default topology, biomes, order or radii is not to be expected and will not be provided by us. 

I've asked about this before and JoM said I could remove Realistic Resources without encountering problems. Considering the above quote I'd like to run that by you to make sure.
Will biomes (or just.. the planet pack itself) work normally if I remove Realistic Resources? Reason I ask is because I like the no-random-placement and rare-ore challenge, but from what I've read so far RR does a lot more than just that, instead of a framework that connects mods and planet packs it sounds more like a full fledged resource pack tuned for JNSQ.

Awesome upscaled planets: Yay!
Challenge in finding good ore: Yay!
Compatible/ready with possible resourcepacks: Yay!
A load of resources that show despite not being used: Nay..

My apology if you feel like you have to repeat yourself. I'm weird, I know.

26 minutes ago, Jognt said:

A load of resources that show despite not being used: Nay..

Do you normally use CRP? That's how it is and always was. With or without Realistic Resources.

• The resources that CRP places for mining are mostly only relevant to people who use MKS.
  • The stock Surface Scanner always has, always had a load of resources installed into it by CRP. I only changed it to be relevant to mods other than but still including MKS.

Yes, everything will behave normally without Realistic Resources but including the two points above.

Yes, Realistic Resources is, in addition to a framework, a full fledged resource pack tuned for JNSQ. Anyone who has used resource-intensive mods and enjoyed GPP with them will understand and have no problem.

18 minutes ago, wuping said:

What engine mods (if any) are you guys using with this mod?

Practically none. We don't have casual playthroughs going (as far as I can tell). The only actually recommended mod: Eve Optimized Engines, made by OhioBob, is what it says on the tin. I use spaceplane parts but I haven't sent anything interplanetary in a long time. The obvious answer (as a suggestion) is: Anything made by Nertea.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Not a fan of annoying pop ups in mods that tend to work from version to version. Good antes, this mod requires an updated Kopernicus, but doesn’t mean it won’t work. 

One of my bigger pet peeves is getting a “bug” report and it’s due to a version pop up. None of my mods have broken since 1.2.x. Dependencies have, but my mods that use those dependencies work as soon as they update. 

Fair point.

FYI: The latest AVC version allows you to set a mod to be compatible, despite the settings in the .version file. You can set a specific mod to be always compatible or set a version range to override the .version file (for example, set every mod which is compatible for 1.4 to be compatible with 1.5 and 1.6). The feature was added to get rid of the "incompatible mod" list as soon as the user knows that a mod actually still works fine but want to keep the notifications about updates.

Well, this would probably not prevent any "bug" reports since this need to be set by each user individually...

31 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Do you normally use CRP? That's how it is and always was. With or without Realistic Resources.

• The resources that CRP places for mining are mostly only relevant to people who use MKS.
  • The stock Surface Scanner always has, always had a load of resources installed into it by CRP. I only changed it to be relevant to mods other than but still including MKS.

Yes, everything will behave normally without Realistic Resources but including the two points above.

Yes, Realistic Resources is, in addition to a framework, a full fledged resource pack tuned for JNSQ. Anyone who has used resource-intensive mods and enjoyed GPP with them will understand and have no problem.

Practically none. We don't have casual playthroughs going (as far as I can tell). The only actually recommended mod: Eve Optimized Engines, made by OhioBob, is what it says on the tin. I use spaceplane parts but I haven't sent anything interplanetary in a long time. The obvious answer (as a suggestion) is: Anything made by Nertea.

I avoid mods that utilize the CRP exactly for this reason, it makes my brain nullref. Thanks for the confirmation though :)

1 hour ago, wuping said:

What engine mods (if any) are you guys using with this mod?

I'm not one of the developers but I've been playing with JNSQ since it came out. For my part, I've found that you don't need any different engines than what the stock game provides. JNSQ seems to be very well balanced against the stock game's tank sizes and mass ratios, engine TWRs and all that.

Of course, I still want more engines, so I play with a bunch of part-oriented mods. All the Near Future mods, especially Near Future Launch Vehicles which has a 1000 kN, 300-ish s sea-level engine that's so good I'd almost go so far as to call cheating. I also use Cryo Engines and Blue Dog (despite Blue Dog being a monster of a mod that includes roughly 3 to 4 million parts I'll never use).

18 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

JNSQ seems to be very well balanced against the stock game's tank sizes and mass ratios, engine TWRs and all that.

FYI, JNSQ does make a couple part changes.  The LV-TX87 and LV-T91 engines (Making History DLC) are suppose to be analogs for the real life Aerojet LR-87 and LR-91 engines. These real life engines powered the Titan II ICBM, from which the man-rated Gemini-Titan was derived.  As such, we believe the LV-TX87 and LV-T91should be able to power a rocket capable of launching a Mk2 command pod and service module.  While these engines can accomplish this task at stock scale, we found them to be a bit unpowered at 1/4 real scale.  We therefore increased their thrust and mass to compensate.  The LV-TX87 has had its thrust and mass increased 25% to 500 kN and 2.5 t, and the LV-T91 has been increased 20% to 150 kN and 1.2 t.

These are the only part changes that JNSQ makes.  If you decide you don't want the part changes, then delete the file, GameData/JNSQ/JNSQ_Configs/partMods.cfg.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

We don't have casual playthroughs going (as far as I can tell)

Au contraire, mon Capitan! I was delayed by having to restart after removing Probes Before Crew, but just landed a probe on the Mun for the first time last night. I'll start a thread with pretty pictures once I get a bit further. :)

Edited by Norcalplanner
Stinking autocorrect

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

We don't have casual playthroughs going (as far as I can tell).

I had a pseudo-career game going (meaning it was technically "career mode" but screw the grind so I used Career Manager), but I ended up with terrible crashing problems that I couldn't seem to understand. I've gone back to good old familiar sandbox play.

7 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

I'm not one of the developers but I've been playing with JNSQ since it came out. For my part, I've found that you don't need any different engines than what the stock game provides. JNSQ seems to be very well balanced against the stock game's tank sizes and mass ratios, engine TWRs and all that.

Of course, I still want more engines, so I play with a bunch of part-oriented mods. All the Near Future mods, especially Near Future Launch Vehicles which has a 1000 kN, 300-ish s sea-level engine that's so good I'd almost go so far as to call cheating. I also use Cryo Engines and Blue Dog (despite Blue Dog being a monster of a mod that includes roughly 3 to 4 million parts I'll never use).

How are you finding everything with BDB? I tried the Mercury-Redstone rocket and was only able to get to 85KM, but I don't know if this was my piloting or if the rocket needed to be buffed a little bit.

@Spike88 Man, I have such a love-hate relationship with Blue Dog. It's an amazing bit of work, let's be clear about that. But it's so damn heavy. It's probably responsible for half my 5-minute loading time.

To answer your question, I haven't tried any of the historical kit-rockets. I mostly have the mod installed for the terrific antenna and SRB parts, plus some engines. The GEM-a-like strap-on SRBs in particular are just so very useful to get that extra .2 or .3 liftoff TWR. I keep telling myself I'll edit the mod down to just the parts I want to use, but I keep not investing the time.

11 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

@Spike88 Man, I have such a love-hate relationship with Blue Dog. It's an amazing bit of work, let's be clear about that. But it's so damn heavy. It's probably responsible for half my 5-minute loading time.

To answer your question, I haven't tried any of the historical kit-rockets. I mostly have the mod installed for the terrific antenna and SRB parts, plus some engines. The GEM-a-like strap-on SRBs in particular are just so very useful to get that extra .2 or .3 liftoff TWR. I keep telling myself I'll edit the mod down to just the parts I want to use, but I keep not investing the time.

Some may find this heretical, but I delete entire folders from BDB, including the Titan folder.

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

Some may find this heretical, but I delete entire folders from BDB, including the Titan folder.

Yeah, that's what I keep intending to do. The thing that's stopped me so far is that I know some mods are quite internally convoluted, with different parts sharing models or textures or whatever. Maybe BDB is very clean inside and you can just delete the stuff you don't intend to use; I haven't looked because I keep telling myself eh, a five- or six-minute load time isn't the worst thing in the world. Then I'm sitting there for five or six minutes and hating my life.

@Galileo I'd like to say this is a wonderful mod.

Was getting a little burnt on stock scale, and have spent the afternoon playing with JNSQ. (I also have a new 1.6.1 RO install, also.)

First thing I did was launch the stock Kerbal X to orbit and send it towards the Mun. Then alt12'd it to Eve and use the remaining fuel to de orbit.

I really want to say that I enjoy the feel and look of this effort by you guys. The work shows. Well done!

Edit: wanted to add: load seemed fast for such a mod.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
Words

3 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

Have you tried SSTU, there's loads of historical parts too, but a bit more performance friendly

@Galileo

I will start by saying what an amazing job you've done on this mod.

But there's a Nay, a lot of planets and moon from JNSQ look pretty much the same, just like those boring moons in RSS.

With features from kopernicus, you can create interesting ground elements like lava seas and floating rocks, or at least making each planets and moons "distinctive and unique"

Some of the "difficulty points" from the stock game are also removed. Such as Tylo, being a atmophereless moon with immense gravity makes it hard to land, it could be even more chanllenging in a 2.7x rescaled system. But in JNSQ it becomes another normal atmospheric moon which I can't even tell its difference from others.

I know some of what I proposed it not "scientifically accurate". But a little fun wouldn't hurt.

4 hours ago, Spike88 said:

How are you finding everything with BDB? I tried the Mercury-Redstone rocket and was only able to get to 85KM, but I don't know if this was my piloting or if the rocket needed to be buffed a little bit.

You have to be a *slightly* more careful in JNSQ with the flight profile compared to a 2.5x rescale especially on rockets that are suborbital or have little very margin (like Titan Gemini) but I have gotten Mercury Redstone to 90km suborbital, I flew a bit more vertical than I did on my rescale game. IIRC around 7-8 mins in space before re-entering.

Mercury Atlas and Titan GLV can get into a reasonable low orbit. For the latter two I was using mechjeb PVG guidance mode (manual staging for Atlas of course) and that turned out ok even though the mode is not optimised for scales smaller than RSS. For Gemini Titan I did have to use about 50 m/s from the spacecraft.

27 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I will start by saying what an amazing job you've done on this mod.

But there's a Nay, a lot of planets and moon from JNSQ look pretty much the same, just like those boring moons in RSS.

With features from kopernicus, you can create interesting ground elements like lava seas and floating rocks, or at least making each planets and moons "distinctive and unique"

Some of the "difficulty points" from the stock game are also removed. Such as Tylo, being a atmophereless moon with immense gravity makes it hard to land, it could be even more chanllenging in a 2.7x rescaled system. But in JNSQ it becomes another normal atmospheric moon which I can't even tell its difference from others.

I know some of what I proposed it not "scientifically accurate". But a little fun wouldn't hurt.

One of the primary goals of JNSQ was to be more scientifically accurate.  It is intended for players in seek of something that looks and feels more realistic than the stock game, but without scaling all the way up to RSS.  If the moons look like those in RSS, then we've come close to achieving our goal of making something that resembles real life.  While some of the "difficulty points" of stock have been removed, there are other things that have been made more difficult.  We don't want JNSQ to be a carbon copy of stock.  Been there, done that.

If what I've described doesn't float your boat, then JNSQ may not be the mod for you.

19 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

One of the primary goals of JNSQ was to be more scientifically accurate.  It is intended for players in seek of something that looks and feels more realistic than the stock game, but without scaling all the way up to RSS.  If the moons look like those in RSS, then we've come close to achieving our goal of making something that resembles real life.  While some of the "difficulty points" of stock have been removed, there are other things that have been made more difficult.  We don't want JNSQ to be a carbon copy of stock.  Been there, done that.

If what I've described doesn't float your boat, then JNSQ may not be the mod for you.

I the goal is to " making something that resembles real life ". Then that would be nice to add ice geyser on icy moon or add molten lava on Eve. Realistic and Fun does not have to be mutually exclusive.

And good job on Nara. Does it resembles Sedna?

Edited by Iso-Polaris

(Please correct me if any of this is wrong)

For anyone else using CKAN confused by Kopernicus now being incompatible: Kopernicus 1.7.1 breaks planet packs that haven't been updated as well, including JNSQ. You'll need to not update Kopernicus. In order to reduce the chance this is accidentally done, I uninstalled Kopernicus from CKAN and installed the 1.7.0-1 version manually. CKAN detects it (which lets you install Stock Visual Terrain) but effectively locks the version so it doesn't detect updates for it.

Edited by curiousepic