[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

2 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Unfortunately you can add the arctic crash site anomaly to TMA as not doable with JNSQ. The UFO is also floating.

Uvmsatxh.png

Looks like another issue with graphic settings. On JNSQ_High, it’s in the ground, right where it should be. Adjusting the terrain detail apparently raises, and lowers the terrain. 

Edited by Galileo

24 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone have any good rules of thumb for target Pe on re-entry into Kerbin.  I've been struggling a little bit with my craft self-combusting on re-entry.

I do not but I've found heat shields to be almost (and thankfully) mandatory even for simple LKO re-entry.

40 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone have any good rules of thumb for target Pe on re-entry into Kerbin.  I've been struggling a little bit with my craft self-combusting on re-entry.

If you are running out of ablator and burning up before you slow down, then lower your Pe.  (That way you will slow down faster).

1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

From LKO I haven't had any problems yet.

My recent return from the Mun with a 20k Pe however resulted in the death of Bob. He died because the craft was wobbling a bit during reentry though, the heatshield was fine.
Craft was wobbly because Jeb died, so no SAS.

So whatever you do, make sure you can keep it nice and retrograde during reentry.

How did Jeb die? -> I was multitasking and crashed Jeb into the Munar surface at 70 km/h with his jetpack. Right after planting a flag that taunted Val's earlier landing -> "Suck on this Val!" - Famous last words Jeb..

Edited by Jognt

The 1.25 heatshield seems to hold up ok.  Early in my career I was trying to make use of the the .65 heatshield on a small probe reentry.  The heatshield did great but all of the heat seemed to pass through the heatshield and the probecore would always blow up.  Ultimately, I gave up on small probes and went with a 1.25 based design.

I really haven't figured out a good number for JNSQ yet.  In stock I generally targeted a periapsis of about 20-25 km.  That wasn't for control of heating or g-forces, however.  The reason for that altitude was to help predict my landing site.  With a periapsis of 20-25 km, my capsule would land right under the periapsis marker.  So while still days away from reentry, I could check the time to periapsis, determine how much the planet was going to rotate, and predict where I was going to land.  If I didn't like the looks of the terrain (mountains for instance), I could raise the periapsis and force the capsule to land long into a safer area.

It should be possible to do the same thing with JNSQ, but I haven't figured out yet what the right number is.  So far I've been using a periapsis of about 35 km, which seems to work pretty well as far as heat and g-forces go.  Not sure how well that works for landing site prediction, however.

For LKO, I've been using about 30km, which tends to use about 50% to 75% of the heatshield's ablator.  I start with 100% ablator.

From Mun/Minas, 30km also works, but you use a lot less ablator, although you pull a lot more Gs.  I now do Mun/Minas returns at 40km to 45km, which makes for a more gentle deceleration.  

I've never had trouble with re-entry provided there was a heatshield.  Entries at orbital velocities without a heatshield are not advised.

The above applies to the 1.5 and 2.5 meter heatshields (or whatever the exact dimensions are).  I've also had success with the 10 meter inflatable heatshield.  I haven't tried the others.

3 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

I aim for 44.5km, especially returning from the Mun and Minmus. Most, if not all of the ablator is used on reentry, but the heatshield can take the heat. G-Forces usually max out at around 4 gees. Just make sure you are lined up on the surface retrograde marker when entering the atmosphere, especially the 1.825m command pod. It won't last long in reentry if it deviates. I have not taken a 1.25m CM or heatshield to Mun, so I cannot speak on their performance at those speeds.

1 hour ago, AG5BPilot said:

Entries at orbital velocities without a heatshield are not advised.

I've found that for orbital reentries, a heat shield is advised, but ablator is not.  As I recall, skin temperatures during an orbital reentry generally max at around 2600-2700 K (at the entry angles that I use).  This is above the max temperature of a pod (~2000 K), but well below that of a heat shield (3300 K).  So a heat shield is recommended just for the temperature rating.  But since the temperature stays below what the shield can handle by itself, there's no need for ablator.

Edited by OhioBob

On 7/13/2019 at 1:23 AM, infinite_monkey said:

Hm. Cleaned up my GameData, installed my essential mods, Kopernicus, MM4.0.2 and JNSQ from the zip (btw, why is the zip 400 MB larger than the exe? And why bother writing an installer if installation is like any other mod?).

Kerbin still looks pretty stock and has a radius of 600 km... I'm on KSP 1.7.3, if that matters.

Thanks for your help guys, in the end it was a faulty Kopernicus install... I cloned the repo and used the GameData folder from "build" instead of downloading the release-zip... :confused:

Talking about Mun/Minmus reentry, I've generally been doing 31 to 32 km with some success. I don't have deadly reentry installed, so the only downside to pulling higher Gs is that the crew will pass out for a few seconds. Since all of my craft have a probe core in there somewhere, it's always able to hold retrograde without a problem. The other thing I'll do is set up a maneuver node close to atmospheric reentry and use a combination of retrograde and radial out to burn off any remaining fuel and fine tune the reentry Pe. Because heating is a cube function, scrubbing off 200-300 m/s will have a noticeable effect.

1 hour ago, Norcalplanner said:

The other thing I'll do is set up a maneuver node close to atmospheric reentry and use a combination of retrograde and radial out to burn off any remaining fuel and fine tune the reentry Pe. Because heating is a cube function, scrubbing off 200-300 m/s will have a noticeable effect.

I'll usually do that when I'm returning from an interplanetary flight.  I never bother, however, for a Mun/Minmus flight.  I know those are plenty safe without having to provide any extra braking.

Somewhere I have a spreadsheet that I once used for planning burns like you describe.  I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I'd enter information about my initial trajectory, delta-v remaining, and time of burn.  It would then compute the final periapsis.  That way I could figure out what initial periapsis I needed to obtain the desired final periapsis.  I could then tweak the trajectory using just a few m/s when far out at the edge of the SOI.  Then when I got close enough for my final burn, it was all retrograde.  I didn't have to waste any delta-v burning radial out to hold periapsis.  I'd just let the periapsis drop to ultimately what I wanted it to be.

I've thought about polishing the spreadsheet into a more user friendly form and making it available to others, but I doubt there'd be enough demand for something like that to make it worthwhile.

16 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

New to rescales. You think FAR could have any issues with this? Not sure if there's some custom atmospheres here that FAR could mess with.

I doubt FAR is hard coded like that so as FAR as I can see there shouldn’t be a problem. ;) 

2 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

New to rescales. You think FAR could have any issues with this? Not sure if there's some custom atmospheres here that FAR could mess with.

There would be no problem, except just maybe if FAR tries to change JNSQ Kerbin's atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Jognt said:

I doubt FAR is hard coded like that so as FAR as I can see there shouldn’t be a problem. ;) 

:sticktongue:

9 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

You think FAR could have any issues with this?

Been playing with FARc Mach on JNSQ for a while. As much as some folks turn their noses up at it in this thread, FAR doesn't change the atmospheres. It improves the drag model.

I was going to show how dumb KSP's stock drag model was with a Bradley Whistance video, but it seems I can't find that three-part-challenge-to-Duna video where he took unfair advantage of the drag model by flipping parts around.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone using USI Life Support in this mod?  I just started a career run with it myself but was wondering if folks were tweaking with the settings to deal with the bigger size of the JNSQ system?  Or are the stock settings still pretty balanced for i?

I'm not using USI-LS, and haven't for a while actually, but with Snacks! I'm not tweaking anything. Just take extra with you!

Edited by Pleb
Typo

11 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

FAR should work fine with any atmosphere.  The atmosphere model just feeds temperature and pressure values to whatever aerodynamic model is being used, be it stock or be it FAR.  Where FAR differs from stock is in what it does with that data.

10 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

FAR should work fine with any atmosphere.  The atmosphere model just feeds temperature and pressure values to whatever aerodynamic model is being used, be it stock or be it FAR.  Where FAR differs from stock is in what it does with that data.

One difference I've noticed from stock is that parts shielded from the shockwave in stock might not be considered shielded with FAR, such as the backside of the vessel. When designing for reentry a backshell should be considered just as a reentry capsule would have in real life. (and that's just in general with FAR, not specifically when used with this mod)

Edited by Starwaster

4 hours ago, Galland1998 said:

Anyone using USI Life Support in this mod?  I just started a career run with it myself but was wondering if folks were tweaking with the settings to deal with the bigger size of the JNSQ system?  Or are the stock settings still pretty balanced for i?

I use USI-LS without any changes with this and also larger systems. I think it's fine. You'll need bit more supplies and/or better life supprt etc for the longer transits but I don't feel it's excessive, just part of the challenge of larger systems.

Your mileage may vary. :)