[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

So it looks like Kerbalism (3.0.2 if it matters) doesn't quite 100% jive with the changes to the length of the day in JNSQ. In the VAB, Kerbalism's planner says the Mk 1-3 pod has food, water and oxygen for three crew for five days. Once you get into orbit, those numbers change to 2 days 6 hours, which I can't help noting is exactly half of 5 days, what with JNSQ's 12-hour day and all.

Very, very briefly skimming the Kerbalism config files suggests that there are at least two underlying problems. First, eating and drinking are defined in the config files as happening at set intervals. For instance, the default Kerbalism config has kerbals eat "two times a day," at intervals of 10,800 seconds, or 3 hours. That does in fact equal twice a day under KSP's default six-hour day, but in JNSQ that 10,800 number would need to be adjusted to 21,600 to equal two meals a day per kerbal.

On the other hand, oxygen consumption is continuous, at a rate of 0.00172379825 (!) per second. Kerbalism is doing the arithmetic and deciding that adds up to 2 days 6 hours, which makes sense given JNSQ's longer day ... but I don't know why it's saying 5 days in the planner in the VAB.

I know Kerbalism compatibility isn't a top priority for you guys. Given how deep it digs its claws into the game I'm pretty reluctant to try to fix this myself. Maybe there's a Kerbalism guru out there who can bang out a quick fix. Or maybe I should just give in and try TAC Life Support.

@jefferyharrell JNSQ's support for Kerbalism extends only to providing the resources that kerbals need for LS, and adding magnetic fields to planets. The rest of your issue is beyond our scope and has been relayed to Kerbalism's devs. In short, the obvious detail is that Kerbalism cannot detect the custom length of a Kerbin day.

1 hour ago, jefferyharrell said:

@JadeOfMaar Yup, understood. That makes perfect sense to me. I'm starting a new game now with TAC LS to see what that's all about.

Expect a fix in the next version of Kerbalism.

@JadeOfMaar Yup, understood. That makes perfect sense to me. I'm starting a new game now with TAC LS to see what that's all about.

Just a heads up, in my experience TAC-LS always assumes a 6-hour day, whether in The VAB/SPH or in flight. Plan accordingly. 

Just now, rcollier said:

Just a heads up, in my experience TAC-LS always assumes a 6-hour day, whether in The VAB/SPH or in flight. Plan accordingly. 

Well gosh. I've never used a rescaled solar system before. Is there a life support mod that's considered best in this situation? I mean, obviously there's always the option of NOT using any life support mod at all, but I'd really prefer one if there's one that works well with JNSQ.

Well gosh. I've never used a rescaled solar system before. Is there a life support mod that's considered best in this situation? I mean, obviously there's always the option of NOT using any life support mod at all, but I'd really prefer one if there's one that works well with JNSQ.

Well, what would be nice is a configurable life support mod, that allows you to input the day length. That way it could work at any scale. But, alas, most of the devs of these types of mods develop for stock and forget the planet modding community 

I already peaked into the code of TAC LS and I guess it should be pretty easy to implement a custom time format (configurable via .cfg file), at least that's my first impression. I'll take a closer look tomorrow, try a few things and if I'm successful, I'll open a PR for it :)

My thanks to Team Galileo for this wonderful mod, and congratulations on this impressive achievement.  I'm waiting for the BG/Kopernicus situation to settle down before starting a new campaign, but I've played around a bit in the initial JNSQ release and it seems quite awesome.

Speaking as a TAC-LS player, the Life Support Monitoring window does not account for recycling, so it's not something to rely on even in an otherwise stock game.  For JNSQ, I think the easiest option for short missions is to mentally halve the life support time estimates it gives you when allocating supplies in the VAB/SPH.  For longer missions where the mass of recyclers is justified, you'd need to do your own calculations anyway.

2 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

56 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Well, what would be nice is a configurable life support mod, that allows you to input the day length. That way it could work at any scale. But, alas, most of the devs of these types of mods develop for stock and forget the planet modding community

Snacks! (a very simple but satisfying system) by @Angel-125 is your first choice. He's preparing for a JNSQ game so he has already accomplished this.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Snacks! (a very simple but satisfying system) by @Angel-125 is your first choice. He's preparing for a JNSQ game so he has already accomplished this.

well, we know @Angel-125 is one of the few that make sure things work well for us, and has for a long time now!

42 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Snacks! (a very simple but satisfying system) by @Angel-125 is your first choice.

I think I'll try this out next time I have the chance to play. I've never tried it because it seemed, well, too whimsical for my play-style (which tends to involve a lot of near-disasters and sad endings), but maybe it's a better option than I thought.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

well, we know @Angel-125 is one of the few that make sure things work well for us, and has for a long time now!

:) Snacks now has the ability to compute the seconds per day based on the homeworld, so it can handle planets of different sizes.

Edited by Angel-125

The RSS/RO team favour TAC LS and it handles the Earth days correctly, but I don't know the behind-the-scenes details. (And Earth time is natively supported by KSP, but things like 12-hour days aren't, that may make a difference.)

19 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

So I noticed this video show city lights on the dark side of Kerbin.  Does JNSQ have city light configs that are not loading on my install or did you add them?

The cheaty SSTO: WARNING!! long and boring... pretty ship though.

Hide contents

USI LS does not use hardcoded day and year lengths, so it should work fine with kronometer and after editing two lines of code in TAC LS, it works there as well:

Stock clock:

Spoiler

VPaZwzX.png

Kronometer + adjusted TAC LS:

Spoiler

myPEYA5.png

Since this is just a really small adjustment, I hope it will be merged soon :)

30 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

USI LS does not use hardcoded day and year lengths, so it should work fine with kronometer and after editing two lines of code in TAC LS, it works there as well:

Stock clock:

Hide contents

VPaZwzX.png

Kronometer + adjusted TAC LS:

Hide contents

myPEYA5.png

Since this is just a really small adjustment, I hope it will be merged soon :)

Thanks for that. Used to use a spreadsheet during my rescaled GPP days

6 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Don't you think USI-LS would be a nice choice?

Choice of LS, especially USI, depends on your main suite of chosen parts... USI-LS, is of course probably best with USI mods...
For those *not* running USI mods, the other LS mods out there probably work better.

Snacks is a nice standalone, and from what i hear, its getting expanded with a really nice set of optional features, that keep it available as the nice, simple LS it always has been, and now up to an optionally fully-featured LS comparable with TAC or USI, so you can choose the *level/difficulty* of the LS to suit your play style.

And I'm sure it integrates nicely with the WildBlue suite of mods.

I'm very happy that Angel is making *sure* it supports and plays nicely with JNSQ...
The next time I actually *play* KSP, it will most definately be with Snacks and JNSQ.
Thanx @Angel-125 and @Galileo ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

21 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Just finished my water cooling loop yesterday... well finished for now ;)

Hasn't brought this modest machine to it's knees yet :) and I run a lot of mods.

Reveal hidden contents

FF6crm2.jpg

I resemble that remark!!

She may be plump, but she has no equal!  I prefer to use the word voluptuous...

I had to google the spelling of that word lol

Don't listen to him, that SSTO of yours looks very futuristic.

We should now make a chellenge for those crazy youtubers to know if a Skylonlike craft could work in JNSQ...

oh and BTW, your computer has been assimilated by the Borg, it seems...

Edited by Quoniam Kerman