[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 11/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, OhioBob said:

You don't have to get off Nara to go there.  You can always send a one-way science probe.

Haha, so true! I just view "going to" as a purely Kerbal experience. That's definitely a probe world!

As the atmospheric guy (at least that's what it seems to me), do you run radiative transfer models to come up with the body estimates, or is it empirical?  I was just curious!

-Tom

On 11/21/2019 at 1:22 AM, Motokid600 said:

Hey Galileo. Thought id just pick your brain for a sec. You know of the starless skybox during twilight hours, right? Seems to be a stock issue. Where the skybox doesn't click in until a certain point. Has any known attempt been made to eliminate this by anyone? My most requested feature for KSP2 is quickly becoming a smooth transition from day to night :p.as

I'm pretty sure that's a stock bug feature.

14 hours ago, tom1328732 said:

As the atmospheric guy (at least that's what it seems to me), do you run radiative transfer models to come up with the body estimates, or is it empirical?  I was just curious!

It's a combination of both.  The starting point is typically the body's effective temperature.  From there it is mostly empirical.

Edited by OhioBob

Hey Mate, I have a question:

I have 8 GB RAM, 3 GHz processor, and 1 GB VRAM, will JNSQ work nicely, or will it cause my game to lag a lot?

( I'm OK with little lag, I mean LAG that impedes your gameplay seriously )

1 hour ago, DA299 said:

Hey Mate, I have a question:

I have 8 GB RAM, 3 GHz processor, and 1 GB VRAM, will JNSQ work nicely, or will it cause my game to lag a lot?

( I'm OK with little lag, I mean LAG that impedes your gameplay seriously )

Your PC will likely not handle JNSQ. I have seen you ask exactly this multiple times on Reddit and all the responses you got were pretty spot on. You will experience crashes that make the game unplayable. 8gbs of ram, and 1gb of vram just isn't sufficient for this mod.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Your PC will likely not handle JNSQ. I have seen you ask exactly this multiple times on Reddit and all the responses you got were pretty spot on. You will experience crashes that make the game unplayable. 8gbs of ram, and 1gb of vram just isn't sufficient for this mod.

Thanks, It just that this mod has really good visuals and who doesn't like good visuals. I asked this question both on reddit and here because reddit usually gives faster replies, but here there's a chance that the mod makers themselves can answer. Also I posted a question here over 2 months ago...but still only have one reply...so ^_^. But anyways, I appreciate that you took the time to answer my question.

Edited by DA299

On 11/24/2019 at 6:05 PM, Big Katz said:

Hey Galileo. Was wondering (if you don’t mind) how long it will take for 1.8 update once 1.8 kopernicus is out? I know you push a quality product and you can’t control dependencies. I appreciate all the work you do. Have a good one.

As far as I know, the current JNSQ version will work with 1.8 Kopernicus.  It just won't use the new terrain shaders.  So while an updated JNSQ will come at some point, I don't think there is anything that will stop you from making the switch to 1.8 once the new Kopernicus releases.  Hopefully @Galileo will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

But to answer your question, I have no idea how long it will take.  Getting JNSQ fully compatible with KSP 1.8 may not take very long (I think Galileo has already finished much of it), but that doesn't mean it will release quickly.  We're often tinkering with other stuff that gets changed or added in, and that delays things.  There's no telling what might happen next or how long it will be before we have something we're happy with and feel is release worthy.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

As far as I know, the current JNSQ version will work with 1.8 Kopernicus.  It just won't use the new terrain shaders.  So while an updated JNSQ will come at some point, I don't think there is anything that will stop you from making the switch to 1.8 once the new Kopernicus releases.  Hopefully @Galileo will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

But to answer your question, I have no idea how long it will take.  Getting JNSQ fully compatible with KSP 1.8 may not take very long (I think Galileo has already finished much of it), but that doesn't mean it will release quickly.  We're often tinkering with other stuff that gets changed or added in, and that delays things.  There's no telling what might happen next or how long it will be before we have something we're happy with and feel is release worthy.

Thankyou Bob. I was unaware 1.8 kopernicus was out unless it’s unofficial. Out of curiosity who is all on the JNSQ project?

12 minutes ago, Big Katz said:

Thankyou Bob. I was unaware 1.8 kopernicus was out unless it’s unofficial. Out of curiosity who is all on the JNSQ project?

Kopernicus 1.8 is not out yet.  Team Galileo works closely with the Kopernicus dev by doing much of the pre-release testing, and in exchange we get early access to the dev version.  Works out well for both parties.

Most of the work on JNSQ has been done by Galileo, JadeOfMaar and myself.  Sigma88 has also been a valuable contributor in a support role.  

Just thought I would share a couple of tips learned over the past couple of days.

1. If you are a full screen player, change one of your installs to windowed mode (resolution doesn't matter, just make sure full screen is off) BEFORE deleting settings.cfg in your JNSQ install.

I think it's a Windows issue, but the mouse was disabled if opening a fresh cfg-less KSP if the previous session was full screen. YMMV.

2. For the Pood's skybox fans using Sigma Skybox replacer, don't use current 0.5. Revert to 0.4.0 for a plug-and-play sky box.

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I thought pood had updated his skybox.... are you still procrastinating @Poodmund ??? 

shame :D

To be honest I haven't booted up KSP for the last few months for anything not ReStock dev. related. @Ratwerke_Actual, I'm sure that the JNSQ group have included their own great skybox by default but if you want to use one of mine with SR:Skybox 0.5 and it doesn't work, please post in my thread with a report and I'll get round to it soon: Link

btw, the only reason why the syntax changed from SigmaReplacements Skybox 0.4 to 0.5 is because pood wanted to be able to provide compatibility for all skybox existing mods, so I changed my syntax to be compatible with all the other mods. :D