[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Okay I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I installed Ad Astra alongside JSNQ because I find the sun flare from Ad Astra more soothing. I found out that there is a way to "turn off" the JNSQ sunflare and "Turn on" the Ad Astra sunflare, but when I do that I get either still the JNSQ sunflare or no sunflare at all. Can someone help me out with this? 

<Game data folder>
https://imgur.com/Wks5Dvv

Edited by Pointblank66

2 hours ago, Pointblank66 said:

Okay I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I installed Ad Astra alongside JSNQ because I find the sun flare from Ad Astra more soothing. I found out that there is a way to "turn off" the JNSQ sunflare and "Turn on" the Ad Astra sunflare, but when I do that I get either still the JNSQ sunflare or no sunflare at all. Can someone help me out with this? 

You should probably ask that in the Ad Astra thread.  Team Galileo has nothing to do with Ad Astra.

21 hours ago, mabdi36 said:

Hello! I find the wording on the OP a bit confusing, so i would like to ask if I need to change my DSN multiplier to 4x or not? And if I can do so in a game that has already started?

Tip if you’re also annoyed by decimals after moving the slider: you can alter the value to an exact number by editing it in the savefile. (Disclaimer: Backup before modifying, just in case, etc)

On 4/21/2020 at 12:23 AM, Pointblank66 said:

<Game data folder>
https://imgur.com/Wks5Dvv

Have you read the readme ? Seems dumb but the Ad Astra thread is full of ppl who think the mod is broken because they didn't read it and the installation is a bit couterintuituve. Anyway I don't get your problem. Isn't the Ad Astra sunflare supposed to simply replace the "stock" JNSQ one ?

Just now, VoidCosmos said:

Sorry if this has already been asked before but can I run this mod on my PC? I have 4 gigabytes of RAM i.e a potato PC

Nope. A completely stock install of KSP needs about 2.5-3.0 GB of RAM. That plus what the OS requires means you're already brushing-up against memory limits. Recommended minimum for JNSQ is 16 GB. 

20 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

Nope. A completely stock install of KSP needs about 2.5-3.0 GB of RAM. That plus what the OS requires means you're already brushing-up against memory limits. Recommended minimum for JNSQ is 16 GB. 

That was quick! I really wish I could play around with it:(;.;

I'm seeing a really odd heating problem playing JNSQ on 1.8.1.

I have JNSQ with the recommended mods ( KK, RR ), plus Nertea's NF mods, restock/restock+, and a few other helper mods ( MJ, KER, Scansat ).  Should be current on all mods ( or at least latest for 1.8.1 ).

The issue relates to the Mobile Lab.  If I go into warp at any speed, while the MPL is researching, it instantly overheats and goes supernova.  If I warp with research stopped, everything is good.

I know that NFE Dynamic Battery system has had some odd heating affects in the past, but I'm also seeing some 'Blacksmith' features added to the MPL PAW, that I'm not sure where they came from ( RR? ).  So something seems like it's adding heat generation to the MPL, and that is likely the cause, rather than NFE DBS/Thermal changes?

Looking for anyone who may know more where to look, in terms of what mod might be causing this, and if there's any known fix ( MM patch? ).

31 minutes ago, coredumpster said:

I know that NFE Dynamic Battery system has had some odd heating affects in the past, but I'm also seeing some 'Blacksmith' features added to the MPL PAW, that I'm not sure where they came from ( RR? ).  So something seems like it's adding heat generation to the MPL, and that is likely the cause, rather than NFE DBS/Thermal changes?

That's one of the "Extras" for Rational Resources -- you probably accidentally installed it. The Blacksmith patch adds a workshop to the science lab that let's a "Blacksmith" refurbish certain parts (e.g., restoring ablator, refueling SRBs, etc.) but in exchange generates heat. Delete the file named " RR_ScienceLabBlacksmith.cfg" *or* add radiators

2 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

That's one of the "Extras" for Rational Resources -- you probably accidentally installed it. The Blacksmith patch adds a workshop to the science lab that let's a "Blacksmith" refurbish certain parts (e.g., restoring ablator, refueling SRBs, etc.) but in exchange generates heat. Delete the file named " RR_ScienceLabBlacksmith.cfg" *or* add radiators

Hmm, I don't remember installing the extras, but I suppose that could be it.  Will take a look!

Looks like it generates heat while researching science too, and then that is possibly tripping the NFE Thermal / Warp bug.

I've added radiators, but no amount of radiators helps when temp suddenly jumps to 9000K!  ( Was barely able to avoid calamity by enabling the 'Ignore Max Temp' cheat until excess heat disipated ).

And JNSQ has restored my interest in KSP.  I was burned out a bit, even with OPM, and JNSQ has made it all interesting and new challenges.  It's an amazing collection of work!

5 hours ago, coredumpster said:

Hmm, I don't remember installing the extras, but I suppose that could be it.  Will take a look!

Looks like it generates heat while researching science too, and then that is possibly tripping the NFE Thermal / Warp bug.

I've added radiators, but no amount of radiators helps when temp suddenly jumps to 9000K!  ( Was barely able to avoid calamity by enabling the 'Ignore Max Temp' cheat until excess heat disipated ).

And JNSQ has restored my interest in KSP.  I was burned out a bit, even with OPM, and JNSQ has made it all interesting and new challenges.  It's an amazing collection of work!

I’ve had this bug with just NFE reactors before, although for me it only happened when a craft loaded into physics range.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:47 PM, CDSlice said:

I’ve had this bug with just NFE reactors before, although for me it only happened when a craft loaded into physics range.

I have as well ( outside of JNSQ ).

I've fixed it by increasing the buffer factor that NFE / Dynamic Battery Storage uses to pad for high levels of warp.  Default is 1.5, I've increased it to 2.0 and that seems to work better ( though I've not unlocked Nukes yet in my current JNSQ career ).  I missed that update as well with my JNSQ install.  ( I really should put that in a MM patch... )

Also, I did indeed have the Blacksmith RR patch applied, removed that and back to "normal" MPL.

Thanks all!

Happy I Don't Know Whating,

-Chris

I'm having a problem with JNSQ, not sure if it is JNSQ or Kopernicus.

The problem is that when in flight view, close to the surface of  MInmus, there is a graphical issue where it appears that the oceans are doing a z-clash.

Here is a video showing the problem:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgzfz5ab9d2uhho/BadJNSQvid.mp4?dl=0

Log file doesn't show anything that I can point to.  This log file is had the problem occur during the flight.  I hyperedited a vessel into low orbit around Minmus, verified it was happening and exited.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttrbjzhf3qgdnmj/JNSQBug.zip?dl=0

Not sure if it is Kopernicus or JNSQ

2 minutes ago, Tabris said:

@linuxgurugamer,

that might be Kopernicus with the ocean fix from a few versions back.

Kopernicus is version locked. I am running on KSP1.8.1.  Unless there is a kopernicus update which isn't in CKAN. I have the correct one.  You c as n verify by looking at the log file

Also, I was told by others that they had the same problem 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer, Minmus doesn't even have an ocean node, so it's quite strange that' you're seeing water.  But it does use FlattenOcean to create some flat areas.  It kind of looks like it's those flat areas where you're seeing the flickering water.  I've been playing JNSQ but haven't had the issue, so I can't test anything if I can't recreate the problem.  I wonder if you were to disable the FlatternOcean mod if the problem would go away?

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm having a problem with JNSQ, not sure if it is JNSQ or Kopernicus.

The problem is that when in flight view, close to the surface of  MInmus, there is a graphical issue where it appears that the oceans are doing a z-clash.

Here is a video showing the problem:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgzfz5ab9d2uhho/BadJNSQvid.mp4?dl=0

Log file doesn't show anything that I can point to.  This log file is had the problem occur during the flight.  I hyperedited a vessel into low orbit around Minmus, verified it was happening and exited.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttrbjzhf3qgdnmj/JNSQBug.zip?dl=0

Not sure if it is Kopernicus or JNSQ

I'm sure you've tried all the obvious, but are your graphics drivers fully up to date? I saw something similar prior to the latest Nvidia update, there's always the chance the issue is OS-specific or GFX-specific. Might be worth comparing system specs and settings of those reporting the issue with those who aren't.

3 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@linuxgurugamer, Minmus doesn't even have an ocean node, so it's quite strange that' you're seeing water.  But it does use FlattenOcean to create some flat areas.  It kind of looks like it's those flat areas where you're seeing the flickering water.  I've been playing JNSQ but haven't had the issue, so I can't test anything if I can't recreate the problem.  I wonder if you were to disable the FlatternOcean mod if the problem would go away?

Flatten Ocean mod?

3 hours ago, panarchist said:

I'm sure you've tried all the obvious, but are your graphics drivers fully up to date? I saw something similar prior to the latest Nvidia update, there's always the chance the issue is OS-specific or GFX-specific. Might be worth comparing system specs and settings of those reporting the issue with those who aren't.

Updated the drivers 2 days before, because it was suggested

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Flatten Ocean mod?

It's a PQSmod in the planet config.  If you open  JNSQ/JNSQ_Bodies/Minmus.cfg  you'll see this...

FlattenOcean
				{
					oceanRadius = 0
					order = 17
					enabled = True
					name = _Height
				}

You might try  enabled = False  to see if that changes anything.

Edit:  Disabling the mod will change the terrain.  So if you have something landed on Minmus, it could be damaged or destroyed.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

It's a PQSmod in the planet config.  If you open  JNSQ/JNSQ_Bodies/Minmus.cfg  you'll see this...

FlattenOcean
				{
					oceanRadius = 0
					order = 17
					enabled = True
					name = _Height
				}

You might try  enabled = False  to see if that changes anything.

Edit:  Disabling the mod will change the terrain.  So if you have something landed on Minmus, it could be damaged or destroyed.

I tested in a sandbox save, thanks for the warning.

I disabled it, and the z-fighting went away, but now Minmus had oceans

I also tried to set the ocean radius to -100, but that didn't seem to do anything. With it at -100 and enabled = true, Minmus still had oceans.  I guess you can' have an ocean below altitude 0

Does the "order =" set the order in which different things get shown?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I tested in a sandbox save, thanks for the warning.

I disabled it, and the z-fighting went away, but now Minmus had oceans

I also tried to set the ocean radius to -100, but that didn't seem to do anything. With it at -100 and enabled = true, Minmus still had oceans.  I guess you can' have an ocean below altitude 0

Does the "order =" set the order in which different things get shown?

I don't know what's going on because Minmus has no oceans!  You shouldn't be seeing any water at all.  FlattenOcean is a bit of a misnomer, it really doesn't have anything to do with oceans.  It just fills in any terrain below the elevation it is set to.  So if you set it to -100, then any ground below -100 is filled in up to an elevation of -100 with solid ground.  There shouldn't be any water anywhere unless there is a Ocean node in the config, and Minmus doesn't have one.  I've flown around Minmus plenty of times and I've never seen this problem.  Perplexing indeed.

And, yes, "order" sets the sequence in which the PQSmods are executed.

@linuxgurugamer, I remember talk some time ago about a problem in Kopernicus in which the fix was to add oceans to every celestial body.  I don't recall specifically what the problem was, but I'm quite certain it has been corrected.  Do you happen to have an old config left over from that fix somewhere inside your GameData folder?  If so you should delete it.

(edit)

I found it...  There was some sort of a lag issue that was reported last year.  The temporary fix was to add oceans to all bodies not already having one, using this config.  If you still have that config somewhere in your KSP installation, then that would certainly cause the problem you're seeing.  The lag issue was fixed in Kopernicus 1.7.3-2, so you want to find and delete the patch if it's still there.

Edited by OhioBob

Do you still have a leftover MM patch in your config folder that got carried over from 1.7.x?

There was a Kopernicus performance bug in 1.7.x that was addressed by gimicking oceans onto Minmus, but placing them below groundlevel so they weren't actually visible.  Intended for Stock inner + OPM.  Maybe it's playing havoc with the JNSQ retextured Minmus?

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I found it...  There was some sort of a lag issue that was reported last year.  The temporary fix was to add oceans to all bodies not already having one, using this config.  If you still have that config somewhere in your KSP installation, then that would certainly cause the problem you're seeing.  The lag issue was fixed in Kopernicus 1.7.3-2, so you want to find and delete the patch if it's still there.

Ah.  

That was it, thank you so much!!!!!

1 hour ago, coredumpster said:

Do you still have a leftover MM patch in your config folder that got carried over from 1.7.x?

There was a Kopernicus performance bug in 1.7.x that was addressed by gimicking oceans onto Minmus, but placing them below groundlevel so they weren't actually visible.  Intended for Stock inner + OPM.  Maybe it's playing havoc with the JNSQ retextured Minmus?

That was it, thank you

Edited by linuxgurugamer

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ah.  

That was it, thank you so much!!!!!

That was it, thank you

I feel both warm that that patch helped people out and slightly embarrassed for potentially giving people weird minmus-oceans to worry about later on. 

Glad it got spotted and figured out. :)