[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

5 minutes ago, GoatBOT said:

Possibly stupid question but I haven't been able to find an solid answer yet.  Want to stick with KSP 1.9x but Im also wanting to dive into JNSQ and test myself.  So far it looks like a no with the hold up being Kopernicus not currently working with 1.9.  Has anyone had it successfully working with the latest version of KSP?

No. Kopernicus is version locked. Therefore, this is as well. 
edit: ninja’d by @alberro+

Edited by mabdi36

10 minutes ago, GoatBOT said:

Prepping to jump back versions, can you guys give me a quick rundown for the best practice when installing JNSQ and what companion mods I should be putting in as well?

Companion mods... hmm... BDB is really good for the scale. Scansat is a must in my opinion. All of the recommended mods given by the front page...

kerbalism isn’t everybody’s cup of tea, but I find it synergises with the other mods here extremely well especially in the more realistic JNSQ ‘atmosphere’. Also, you should download KerbalKonstructs and OSSNTR for new facilities.

JX2 is a must in this. KIS and KAS are also two mods I would definitely recommend as well.

10 hours ago, GoatBOT said:

Ive used the USI suite of mods for life support, how does kerbalism compare?

Kerbalism is a pretty major overhaul. It's got a steep learning curve compared to USI LS, but it also includes a very slick and helpful UI to track the various systems it adds. For the number of features it adds, it has a light performance impact. If you download the mod, you can activate/deactivate whichever systems you like. Here are the main features:

Life Support: Keep track of are food, water, Oxygen, CO2 (has to be scrubbed), and Nitrogen (to maintain proper air pressure). Kerbalized pods have Carbon Scrubbing systems and shielding built in to block against... 

Radiation: Kerbals in crafts soak up radiation over time, depending on the amount of shielding. Additionally, Kerbals that spend too much time in EVA can die from radiation (especially when in radiation belts, which come clearly mapped). 

Air Pressure: You need Nitrogen and an appropriate craft to provide a pressurized environment. Pressurized Pods come with years worth of air pressure, but every time a Kerbal goes on EVA without a proper airlock, their pod loses a bunch of Nitrogen, so watch out. Crafts are also not immune to radiation without proper shielding (better shielding unlocks over time, and applying it to pods raises their cost).

Stress: Similar to USI LS, Kerbals accumulate stress over time. Instead of a set habitation countdown though, stress starts at 0% and counts up over time. The more stress, the more likely they are to freak out and break stuff/mess up controls. This can be mitigated by providing living space, communications, proper LS mentioned above, company, windows, etc.

Science Overhaul: Instead of instant gather/transmit science, basically every science experiment behaves sort of like a Research Lab. Experiments take EC and time to gather science data, which accumulates in a hard drive (embedded in pods and drones, but also available as parts). Hard drives can be recovered for science like normal. However, the data can also be streamed in real time through antennae, which is essential in the early game because hard drive space is pretty minimal. Data streaming continues off-screen and science points accumulate over time.

Parts Failures: Similar to RO but more forgiving. Engines are rated based on max number of ignitions and max burn time. The closer engines get to their limit, the more likely they are to fail. Parts can and will fail on the launchpad, which means clamps and abort systems are a necessity. Spend more money to upgrade parts to "high quality" and they fail less. I go back and forth on whether I find this one "fun," but it's easily disabled/tweaked. Rescuing Kerbals from disaster is definitely fun, but more often it kind of just feels like the RNG gods are wasting my time.

The UI: Again, all these systems just run very smoothly and are deeply integrated into the Kerbalism UI. It's surprisingly easy to keep track of lots of crafts at once, once you've learned what to look for.

Edited by MagicCuboid

10 hours ago, GoatBOT said:

and what companion mods I should be putting in as well?

This page will help you out, actually: https://github.com/Galileo88/JNSQ/wiki/Highlight-Mods

It shouldn't attempt to steer you in any particular direction (except the first section, the recommended utilities).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Hello! I just reverted back to 1.8.1 to try out a JNSQ/Kerbalism/BDB playthrough, and the game loads just fine at first, but when I select "JNSQ_default" for terrain detail in the settings, I get stuck on a really long loading screen (it's been 13 minutes). Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I have a pretty good computer (32g RAM, 3.5 ghz processor, 1070 ti video card). 

Edited by MagicCuboid

2 hours ago, JocMeister said:

Hello, Sorry if this has been answered before but I am looking to dive back into KSP with JNSQ. From my understanding JNSQ isn´t compatible with the latest version of KSP. Is there still a way to play? 

You'll need to "roll back" to an older version of KSP (1.7.3 or 1.8.1 are good choices for JNSQ):

Just make sure to pick the correct version of each mod you install to match the version of KSP you're using.

(Or you could just wait until Kopernicus is updated for 1.9.1. No idea when that will be though).

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had an issue with selecting JNSQ terrain details. The first time I installed JNSQ to try it out, I was able to select the terrain detail levels with "JNSQ_" just fine, I think. Now I get these errors when trying to select detail. The slider isn't correctly populated with text (it says "New Text" to begin, and when dragging it to raise detail, the JNSQ_ text doesn't appear although the correct number of steps in the slider is established..).

Could some other mod/conflict be causing this behavior? These are the only [EXC I can see in the log, tried it on a mostly clean install... sadly, I pasted this out and then overwrote the log file on my KSP test install, sorry!

[LOG 10:07:28.423] [AccessorBase] Create GameSettings  VERBOSE_DEBUG_LOG
[LOG 10:07:28.465] [GenericAppFrame] Reposition 0 46926
[LOG 10:07:28.466] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene SETTINGS ShouldBeVisible() False ShouldBeOnTop() False iIsPositionedAtTop True
[LOG 10:07:28.466] [Kopernicus]: StarLightSwitcher: Set active star => Sun
[EXC 10:07:29.958] IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    KSP.UI.Screens.Settings.Controls.SettingsTerrainDetail.Start () (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 10:07:29.958] [AccessorBase] Create GameSettings  PLANET_SCATTER

And this, which seems to repeat each time I made an attempt attempts to increment the detail slider:

[LOG 10:07:29.968] [AccessorBase] Create GameSettings  PART_HIGHLIGHTER_BRIGHTNESSFACTOR
[LOG 10:07:29.968] [AccessorBase] Create GameSettings  INFLIGHT_HIGHLIGHT
[LOG 10:07:29.968] [AccessorBase] Create GameSettings  CELESTIAL_BODIES_CAST_SHADOWS
[EXC 10:07:31.902] IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    KSP.UI.Screens.Settings.Controls.SettingsTerrainDetail.OnSliderValueChange (System.Single newValue) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`1[T1].Invoke (T1 args0) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`1[T0].Invoke (T0 arg0) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Slider.Set (System.Single input, System.Boolean sendCallback) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_value (System.Single value) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Slider.set_normalizedValue (System.Single value) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Slider.UpdateDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData, UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Slider.OnDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IDragHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <e7863072d20d4124957779539fa3ff58>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

2 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

I've also had an issue with selecting JNSQ terrain details. The first time I installed JNSQ to try it out, I was able to select the terrain detail levels with "JNSQ_" just fine, I think. Now I get these errors when trying to select detail. The slider isn't correctly populated with text (it says "New Text" to begin, and when dragging it to raise detail, the JNSQ_ text doesn't appear although the correct number of steps in the slider is established..).

Could some other mod/conflict be causing this behavior? These are the only [EXC I can see in the log, tried it on a mostly clean install... sadly, I pasted this out and then overwrote the log file on my KSP test install, sorry!

And this, which seems to repeat each time I made an attempt attempts to increment the detail slider:

That's a known KSP issue (it's not unique to JNSQ).  You only see the  "JNSQ_" options the first time you do your game settings.  If you want to change the settings, delete the file settings.cfg in your KSP folder.  When you restart KSP you'll then have to redo your settings.

44 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That's a known KSP issue (it's not unique to JNSQ).  You only see the  "JNSQ_" options the first time you do your game settings.  If you want to change the settings, delete the file settings.cfg in your KSP folder.  When you restart KSP you'll then have to redo your settings.

Aha, OK, thanks. So presumably deleting the settings.cfg will allow the selected options to "stick" the next time I fire things up and choose the JNSQ_High setting? Sweet!

12 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Is there anything similar to this but for JNSQ's solar system? 

Yes, look inside the JNSQ folder, there's a dV map.  It's also posted on the first page of this thread.  It doesn't give the phase angles, however.

Edited by OhioBob