[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

So I'm running into an issue with bodies not appearing in a heavily modded install. I followed the installation instructions for JNSQ and installed that alone before any other mods, after running unmodded KSP, and it worked fine even when I then added Grannus JNSQ on top. Since then, I installed the rest of my desired mods, and now when I load it up and go to the tracking station, only the Kerbin system, Jool itself, and the two stars are appearing. Two of the biggest additional mods I'm using are MKS and KSPI-E, but there are many more.

I can provide more info if needed, but if this is an issue that's maybe been answered specifically in the thread already, then maybe someone already knows the answer (I would scrub through to see if anyone asked/answered this, but 82 pages is a lot to ctrl+f through).

Extra question: What's up with the graphics settings for Terrain Detail with JNSQ installed? At first, it seems to add it's own low/medium/high with a JNSQ prefix in addition to the vanilla low/medium/high all on the same slider. And on top of that, no matter what I last selected, when I next reload the game, the slider is all the way to the left with the text "New Text"  in place of a setting, and I'm just now noticing the slider just seems broken. When I move it at this point, the "New Text" goes away, but now it's alternating between only saying "low" and "high", and "low" and "medium", and isn't changing in a regular way between each "notch" of the slider. Should I just be leaving that slider alone with JNSQ installed?

Edit: I'm running this all on 1.8.1 and installing mods through CKAN.

Edited by RocketRyleigh

4 hours ago, RocketRyleigh said:

So I'm running into an issue with bodies not appearing in a heavily modded install. I followed the installation instructions for JNSQ and installed that alone before any other mods, after running unmodded KSP, and it worked fine even when I then added Grannus JNSQ on top. Since then, I installed the rest of my desired mods, and now when I load it up and go to the tracking station, only the Kerbin system, Jool itself, and the two stars are appearing. Two of the biggest additional mods I'm using are MKS and KSPI-E, but there are many more.

I've never seen or heard of a problem like this before.  I can't speculate as to what might be causing it.  You may have to systematically remove your mods until you can identify which one is be causing the conflict.  Short of that, there's not much else I can recommend.

Extra question: What's up with the graphics settings for Terrain Detail with JNSQ installed? At first, it seems to add it's own low/medium/high with a JNSQ prefix in addition to the vanilla low/medium/high all on the same slider. And on top of that, no matter what I last selected, when I next reload the game, the slider is all the way to the left with the text "New Text"  in place of a setting, and I'm just now noticing the slider just seems broken. When I move it at this point, the "New Text" goes away, but now it's alternating between only saying "low" and "high", and "low" and "medium", and isn't changing in a regular way between each "notch" of the slider. Should I just be leaving that slider alone with JNSQ installed?

That's a known issue.  The JNSQ options only appear the first time you go into your settings.  But you typically only need to set it once.  After that you'll get whatever you set it to the first time even though slider may no longer show all the options.  It's not a problem, so don't worry about it.  If you've moved the slider around and feel you made need to reset it to be certain you have the correct setting, the only way to get the JNSQ options back is to delete the file settings.cfg in your KSP folder.  Deleting that file will force you to redo all of your settings.

Edited by OhioBob

On 6/22/2020 at 2:51 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

There is a 1.9.1 compatible fork of Kopernicus, however it’s not fully tested so if you want to use it back up your saves first! I might try it out this evening and see how it goes,

It *should* work fine. I've been running on a recompiled 1.8.1 Kopernicus build for the last 6 weeks or so (with JNSQ) with 80-ish mods, without issues.

Edited by panarchist

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've never seen or heard of a problem like this before.  I can't speculate as to what might be causing it.  You may have to systematically remove your mods until you can identify which one is be causing the conflict.  Short of that, there's not much else I can recommend.

Well I feel special then :P That's not a big deal at least, I've wiped and reinstalled my mod list many times in the past week lol (mainly cause of memory leak crashes, I'm pushing the envelope lol). I'll try and track down the culprit, and if I can, I'll let you know what it is in case you want to add it to the known issues.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

That's a known issue.  The JNSQ options only appear the first time you go into your settings.  But you typically only need to set it once.  After that you'll get whatever you set it to the first time even though slider may no longer show all the options.  It's not a problem, so don't worry about it.  If you've moved the slider around and feel you made need to reset it to be certain you have the correct setting, the only way to get the JNSQ options back is to delete the file settings.cfg in your KSP folder.  Deleting that file will force you to redo all of your settings.

Gotcha, set it and forget it. Sounds good to me! I was only trying to change it after the fact in a vain attempt to fix the memory leak without removing more mods.

Thanks for the quick response as usual @OhioBob  <3

15 hours ago, RocketRyleigh said:

Have you installed Research Bodies? If I remember correctly, the default initial visibility for planets is Mun, Minmus and Jool.

4 hours ago, Eskell said:

Have you installed Research Bodies? If I remember correctly, the default initial visibility for planets is Mun, Minmus and Jool.

That's an excellent point, I didn't even think of that.  What bodies are known at game start depends on the difficulty setting.  According to the config, with the normal and medium difficulty settings, Sun, Kerbin, Mun, Minmus and Jool are the only bodies known at the beginning.

Is anyone else seeing weird biomes on Laythe? For me, the Polward Sea faces towards Jool; the other half of the ocean is Enclosed Faults; there are random little specks of Krenwich Sea between islands; and I have yet to find a single piece of Joolward Sea, although SCANsat insists that it's there somewhere.

On a semi related note- does JNSQ Bop still have everyone's favourite cephalopodic sea monster on its surface?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Is anyone else seeing weird biomes on Laythe? For me, the Polward Sea faces towards Jool; the other half of the ocean is Enclosed Faults; there are random little specks of Krenwich Sea between islands; and I have yet to find a single piece of Joolward Sea, although SCANsat insists that it's there somewhere.

Biome maps sometimes get glitchy like that.  It happens to me all the time when I make them (very frustrating).  We're sometimes able to fix the problem when we find it, but Laythe may be one that slipped through the cracks.  We'll have to take a look at it, perhaps we can fix it for a future update.  If you find any other biome maps that have these types of problems, please bring them to our attention.

On a semi related note- does JNSQ Bop still have everyone's favourite cephalopodic sea monster on its surface?

The dead kraken as it appears in stock has been removed from Bop.  @Galileo and @JadeOfMaar were working on replacements for many of the anomalies with better versions, but I'm not sure what the status of that is.  I believe it's still a work in progress, so it's likely not all of those anomalies have be placed yet.

Loving this mod, by far the most fun I have had in KSP!

I am having some graphical issues when leaving Kerbin's SOI. After returning to Kerbin the ground textures are all checkered? This occurs in flight scenes and also in the space center scene.

j0K72SK.jpg

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

44 minutes ago, southernplain said:

I am having some graphical issues when leaving Kerbin's SOI. After returning to Kerbin the ground textures are all checkered? This occurs in flight scenes and also in the space center scene.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

That's a stock bug.  The only way I know to fix it is to reload the game.  Perhaps some other people have learned some tricks for dealing with it, I'd love to read them.

@southernplain I get those all over the place- in KSC, on various planets and moons and often some of the squares have odd little triangle-y shapes on them too.

I've also had Laythe's entire oceans disappear in two completely different KSP setups- one in my heavily modded 1.8.1 game and another in a 1.9.1 test of the Kopernicus fork above, anyone know why that happens/how to stop it? It's quite hard to find land when the oceans are invisible!

On 6/27/2020 at 5:39 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

I've also had Laythe's entire oceans disappear in two completely different KSP setups- one in my heavily modded 1.8.1 game and another in a 1.9.1 test of the Kopernicus fork above, anyone know why that happens/how to stop it?

That's Scatterer I suspect. Happened to me once in Part 13 of JNSQ Exploration. A quicksave / reload caused it to redraw the ocean.

15 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Question: what are the lowest possible orbit numbers for each celestial body? It would be helpful if a chart was created like the delta v map, though I could live without it.

We didn't want to spoon-feed you everything.  There's a thing called exploration. 

When you say "lowest possible orbit", I assume you mean lowest altitude in order to clear mountains and atmosphere?  Below are the highest points (or height of atmosphere) on each celestial body.

Moho       7,242
Eve       60,000
Gilly      6,231
Kerbin    85,000
Mun        5,348
Minmus     3,589
Duna      70,000
Ike        4,687
Edna       5,165
Dak       10,602
Dres       5,533
Jool     700,000
Laythe    75,000
Vall       8,143
Tylo      85,000
Bop        3,381
Pol        2,926
Lindor   540,000
Krel       3,031
Aden       6,249
Huygen   180,000
Riga      90,000
Talos      5,540
Eeloo     80,000
Celes      3,478
Tam        6,634
Hamek      6,644
Nara     200,000
Amos       4,180
Enon       7,277
Prax       2,262

Edited by OhioBob

Ok, this might sound like a dumb question, but hopefully a bit of clarification will help. I had to add the following verbiage to obtain the "...increases range 4x via patch...", in the "JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\Antenna.cfg" file:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna*]]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]:LAST[JNSQ]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna*]
    {
        @OmniRange *= 4
        @Mode1OmniRange *= 4
        @Mode1DishRange *= 4
        %JNSQ = True
    }
}

Adding this new line multiplied the antenna ranges by 4x, problem solved.

My (dumb) question is regarding to the image provided in the download, "JNSQ\AntennaRange.png". My interpretation of this is with a level 3 tracking station, I should be able to use a built-in antenna to ~.1Gm, or 100,000,000m. Is this correct? I am not seeing this kind of distance in my game. The link below has the AntennaRange.png datasheet for reference.

https://imgur.com/9UsiKGh

I started playing KSP in 2014, but haven't played since then, so I consider myself fairly new to KSP, and mods. Not to show my age here, but my son helped me install the mods. I figured he would know what to do, haha. With that, I am really enjoying the JNSQ OPM version. I enjoy the level of difficulty and related realism provided by it. You guys have done an amazing job!

Please Note:

• Playing KSP v1.9.1.2788
  • I do understand this isn't confirmed (per CKAN) to work on v1.9
  • I am using RemoteTech v1.9.6
  • I use a variety of mods as well, roughly 80 or so, but I only seem to have a problem between JNSQ and RemoteTech

Thanks for your time and help

Edited by SkW3rL

1 hour ago, SkW3rL said:

Ok, this might sound like a dumb question, but hopefully a bit of clarification will help. I had to add the following verbiage to obtain the "...increases range 4x via patch...", in the "JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\Antenna.cfg" file:

Adding this new line multiplied the antenna ranges by 4x, problem solved.

Thanks but we've already made that change.  Unfortunately the revision wasn't made in time for the current release, but it will be in the next update.

My (dumb) question is regarding to the image provided in the download, "JNSQ\AntennaRange.png". My interpretation of this is with a level 3 tracking station, I should be able to use a built-in antenna to ~.1Gm, or 100,000,000m. Is this correct? I am not seeing this kind of distance in my game. The link below has the AntennaRange.png datasheet for reference.

Did you change the DSN modifier to 4x in your game settings?  In addition to the patch that changes the range modifier, we also recommend that you change the DSN modifier.  We leave changing the DSN to you the player in case you want to make it easier or harder.  4x is just our recommendation.  (Leave the range modifier in game settings at 1.  Changing it trigger a bug, which is why we do it with a patch.)

With both modifiers at 4x, the range between a built-in antenna and level 3 tracking station should be,

Range = SQRT( rating_1 * rating_2 )

Built-in antenna rating = 5000

Level 3 tracking station rating = 250,000,000,000

Range = SQRT ( (5000 * 4) * (250000000000 * 4) ) = 141,421,356 meters

27 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to make use of the new gas planet features from 1.10 in JNSQ?

No idea.  I don't know what the new gas planet features are yet.  It also needs to get incorporated into Kopernicus, or else it's a moot point.