[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Good thing I have been playing this install sloooooooowly (more life-like doing: plan, plan, plan, cut, hammer (band, ow!), buzz, crap-crap-crap, measure, plan, measure, plan ...) and haven't gotten to a point where DR would really have an impact. :D (Though, now that I think about it, those sounding rockets didn't always exist as long as I had expected...)

On 9/15/2020 at 6:39 AM, KPD87 said:

You have to have exactly same version of Kopernicus what your game is & there is two different versions to download Bleeding Edge branch of Kopernicus. One for both game versions, 1.9.1 and 1.10. :) Kopernicus is version locked, this sometimes confuses players (me included).

I really wish we could make the version locking thing simpler to understand, speaking of which.  Any suggestions there?  I mean the zip names are a bit funky with _1101_ and such denoting the versions.  Probably could clean that up some... *thinks*

Oh, and on the topic of JNSQ, I had my first partial eclipse in it today.  I think if I caught it earlier it would've been a full one!  Pretty cool because with the small size of the bodies, they can be hard to spot.

Given I play with Principia, would this be Minmus or the Mun doing this eclipse?  I know under Principia Minmus orbits a lot closer.  I suspect the Mun but forgot to check.

screenshot20-copy.jpg

Edited by R-T-B

11 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Given I play with Principia, would this be Minmus or the Mun doing this eclipse?  I know under Principia Minmus orbits a lot closer.  I suspect the Mun but forgot to check.

Even tho I know I should probably avoid playing with it since I'm just starting with JNSQ buuuuuuut ... What's Principia like play-wise in JNSQ? 

28 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Even tho I know I should probably avoid playing with it since I'm just starting with JNSQ buuuuuuut ... What's Principia like play-wise in JNSQ? 

I'll tell you when I make a non-kerbin landing.  Right now, I can only say "hard."

Principia is really an additional diff jump over even just JNSQ, so I'd not do both at once.  Learn one at a time.  This is kind of killing me right now, honestly.

Edited by R-T-B

26 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

JNSQ works with Principia, though with a few modifications to stabilize the orbits.  Minmus' orbit is moved inside that of Mun and it becomes tidally locked.  Mun's orbit is slightly modified, though hardly enough to make a difference.  And Bop's orbit becomes retrograde.

I've only tested JNSQ with Principia to assure it works, I've never actually played the game with it.  So I can't tell you anything about how it is play-wise.

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I really wish we could make the version locking thing simpler to understand, speaking of which.  Any suggestions there?  I mean the zip names are a bit funky with _1101_ and such denoting the versions.  Probably could clean that up some... *thinks*

Oh, and on the topic of JNSQ, I had my first partial eclipse in it today.  I think if I caught it earlier it would've been a full one!  Pretty cool because with the small size of the bodies, they can be hard to spot.

Don't think you (or any other modders) could do any better than you're already doing with naming .zip's. "Kopernicus_1101_zip"" or "Kopernicus_0901_.zip" are clear enough, us players just need to pay more attention to loading/installing instruction when we load them files. =D In example; If I have been long time away from the KSP and start updating my mod folder I just get so excited about playing again, that I pretty much forget to pay enough attention to instructions & usually at that point I have already forgotten "how to mod my game". :D

Thanks for updating Kopernicus by the way, its one of those must have things for me whenever I play KSP. :wub: Also nice view of the eclipse!

10 hours ago, R-T-B said:

That looks more likely to be Mun, but I'm not really sure.  Even with Minmus moved closer to Kerbin, its apparent angular size is still smaller than Mun.  But neither moon should cause a total eclipse, at least not according to the numbers.  Even under the most ideal circumstances, Mun's diameter should never appear more than 0.98 times the Sun, or 0.95 with Principia.  While Minmus' apparent diameter is never more than 0.25 times the Sun normally, or 0.63 with Principia.

Some people might be surprised to hear that this is true in stock KSP as well.  The stock moon is never more than 0.91 times the apparent diameter of the Sun.  So theoretically we should never see total eclipses, only annular ones.  But I'm not sure if that's really the way it is in game.  If total eclipses are visible in game, then it could be that KSP doesn't render things accurately. 

It also depends on how you define a "total" eclipse.  If you want a moon to totally cover the disc of the Sun, then it may not happen.  But if you want a moon to snuff out the bright sun flare surrounding the Sun, then it needs not totally cover the disc.  The sun flare disappears when the Sun's center is covered.  So that will happen even if the moon's diameter is insufficient to completely cover the disc.

10 hours ago, KPD87 said:

Don't think you (or any other modders) could do any better than you're already doing with naming .zip's. "Kopernicus_1101_zip"" or "Kopernicus_0901_.zip" are clear enough, us players just need to pay more attention to loading/installing instruction when we load them files.

Concur.

About the only thing that could come to making it more clear is changing the file names to read:

Kopernicus-1.9.1-3 (DO NOT INSTALL THIS IN KSP1.10.1).zip

On 9/16/2020 at 5:49 PM, TranceaddicT said:

You better make a lot of noise with your release because ...

I

WANT 

THIS

Do you have a GitHub repository we can follow?

There is no github to follow for now. I use pickle for serialization/storage and until I change it to something safe there will not be. However a replacement is in the works with JSON.

I'm testing it on a Kerbin-Duna-Duna-Edna mission at the moment. Non-ballistic grav assist sequences are really tricky to nail down, even when you know exactly where and when to look.

So hopefully, soonTM

On 9/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, Pioneer_Steve said:

I'm still tweaking them and trying to get a solid setup of 5-6 different configurations for different situations. Once i've got that down i'll send them over or possibly create a thread. Originally I used Zorg's but I wanted to branch off a bit. :D

Hey there, any news on your amazing TUFx profile? I lireally just created this account because of your amazing screenshots :)

So I'm having an issue with performance around added launch sites that seems to be related to terrain scatters. I am running a pretty heavily modded install. When I launch a plane from any of the airports around kerbin that JNSQ adds my frame rate tanks to 5fps. I am launching via the KCT menu but I don't think that should have much impact on this. If I fly far enough away (roughly 40km or so) from the launch site the frame rate comes up to 10-11. If I then quit and reload I'm up in the 20s but it will rapidly drop to 10-15, not ideal but doable. Flying back causes the frame rate to drop back to single digits, interestingly if I fly low and approach the center of the airport area frame rate comes up to like 10-15 in a very small area around the center and then craters again once I leave. There is no NRE or other exception spam. My system is a OCed i7 8700k, 32GB RAM and a gtx1080, the GPU is idling, CPU is around 20% utilization and none of the individual threads show utilization above that.

I tried turning terrain scatter off (it was set to around 45%) and saw a massive increase in frame rate, 40fps while flying around and around a 36fps average when returning to the airport. Searching around I am seeing that some performance hit is expected with scatters on especially with kopernicus giving them collision. But this impact seems excessive? Especially since I'm on a pretty beefy system and in terms of resource utilization it is hardly even being taxed. Any one have any idea what is going on here?

log if it'll help: https://gist.github.com/AkiraR/dbf2cee8b8e4ab47a7394544903f4f2d

10 hours ago, RaphaFabris said:

Is it possible to play and achieve end game goals with only stock pieces?

That's the idea.  The scale of JNSQ is intended to make the game a bit more challenging and lifelike, but without the need to modify parts.

After not using rovers for a while, I needed to do that again in a new career. Unfortunately, my rover (RoveMate size) makes occasional backflips every couple 100 meters or so for no apparent reason. Searching through this thread, I found my own posting from almost exactly one year ago :D

On 9/28/2019 at 3:08 AM, infinite_monkey said:

I'm having problems when using physics time warp while driving rovers. IIRC (it's been a while...) it wasn't a problem in stock, I think I could safely drive at 10 - 15 m/s in 4 times time warp. Sure, there was the occasional bump that caused the rover to tip over, but it happened only after say 2 km or so. And it was usually some visible sudden change in terrain that caused it. But in JNSQ, I can't get more than like 100 m until something bad happens, sometimes even a backflip, for apparently no reason at all (lowlands around KSC). Is there anything I can do about it? Distances are vast in JNSQ ;)

But I got no response. It happens even without time warp. Is none of you experiencing this, or are you just not using rovers?

Whenever I try to install the planet pack w/ kopernicus I get this message: https://imgur.com/a/NwY8Swe, that says "Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process." This is on a fresh installation with no prior mods installed. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?  

Edited by DJNarwhale

32 minutes ago, DJNarwhale said:

Whenever I try to install the planet pack w/ kopernicus I get this message: https://imgur.com/a/NwY8Swe, that says "Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process. This is on a fresh installation with no prior mods installed. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?  

@DJNarwhale, Can you link to a copy of your log file and screenshot of your Gamedata folder?

7 minutes ago, DJNarwhale said:

Here's a drive folder with the screenshot and logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tDgoQwiFLFdOSegy4UEruAMljFLg0mz6/view?usp=sharing

I would put it on imgur but I don't think you can upload text files there.

That is only the screenshot to your Gamedata folder, but that is enough to diagnose the issue.  You've placed the mods incorrectly into the Gamedata folder.  Inside the Kopernicus, JNSQ, and ModuleManager folders, there should subfolders that should go directly into your Gamedata folder.  Should look something like this (I don't have JNSQ currently in this example, but this should give you the general idea):

iOPzFen.png

29 minutes ago, hemeac said:

That is only the screenshot to your Gamedata folder, but that is enough to diagnose the issue.  You've placed the mods incorrectly into the Gamedata folder.  Inside the Kopernicus, JNSQ, and ModuleManager folders, there should subfolders that should go directly into your Gamedata folder.  Should look something like this (I don't have JNSQ currently in this example, but this should give you the general idea):

iOPzFen.png

It worked, thank you so much for your help.

As I initially posted here, JNSQ (as well as many many other texture packs) are currently doing some things wrong with regards to the Joolian moon templates.  This results in some square tile like patches appearing in later Kopernicus versions on moons templated from Joolian Moons.  See screenshot below:

screenshot181.jpg

I've made temporary patches for this.  Please see the original post I linked above for technical details as to what they do, but the bottom line is they fix the square patch bug, for good:

http://glacialsoftware.net/JNSQ_FIX/

JNSQ team I would advise you to integrate these very minor changes.

Edited by R-T-B