[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

23 hours ago, R-T-B said:

No discredit to your mod, but you know how interactions can do...  things.  Had to try and ask him what it did. ;)

None taken. I detected a dead end on the line of investigation and explained why it was a dead end. In a corporate way (bluntly), as it appears. Side effects of stealing time on working hours to read this forum. :)

Well, since I'm not stealing working hours (I'm stealing sleeping hours now... :P ), let me explain why TS cannot be involved on this problem.

TweakScale has two main lines of execution:

• On the first time the Main Menu is loaded, when it runs the GameDatabase looking for trouble
  • On the PartModule life cycle.

On the Main Menu, it checks every Part on the GameDatabase and now and then remove itself from a Part. Since statics are not Parts, even by utterly borking TweakScale cannot influence on statics.

On the PartModule life cycle, ditto. TweakScale runs when Unity or KSP call it, and on PartModules this things only happens on Editor or Flying Scenes (and once on Loading time, when KSP is compiling the parts). Again, completely outside the Statics life cycle.

A bork on TweakScale would affect the flying or the editing (or damage a Part or halt KSP loading at all on the worst case, on the compiling part phase), there's no way for TweakScale to change anything on a Static - unless something changing a Static, by some reason beyond me, decides to force a call to TweakScale somehow. But by then, we are handling a problem on a rogue code, not on TweakScale.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:39 PM, Lisias said:

None taken. I detected a dead end on the line of investigation and explained why it was a dead end. In a corporate way (bluntly), as it appears. Side effects of stealing time on working hours to read this forum. :)

Though guilty of that plenty well so, I'll have you know it was 9PM in my timezone when I posted that, and if work conscripted me then I'd probably quit... lol.

1 minute ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

Does Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain work with JNSQ? My initial assumption was yes since all three are made by the same person/team, but I figure I'd ask before assuming.

JNSQ ships its own visuals, which are IMHO better.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

Just now, Clamp-o-Tron said:

JNSQ ships its own visuals, which are IMHO better.

Oh thank you for letting me know! I'll uninstall those 2 now then, much rather go with JNSQ's own visual then much else. Also do you know if an extrasolar planet pack would work with JNSQ as well? One that adds a new star system/s to be more clear. I'm assuming it does as JNSQ is just the stock system and the one I'm considering doesn't touch stock at all, but I'd like to be sure.

4 minutes ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

Oh thank you for letting me know! I'll uninstall those 2 now then, much rather go with JNSQ's own visual then much else. Also do you know if an extrasolar planet pack would work with JNSQ as well? One that adds a new star system/s to be more clear. I'm assuming it does as JNSQ is just the stock system and the one I'm considering doesn't touch stock at all, but I'd like to be sure.

Yeah, it loads into the game, but the planets aren’t scaled up so Valentine isn’t much farther than Nara, not to mention 0.4x as big as the rest of the system. I thought there was a patch to fix it somewhere, but IDK where. If someone has it/can remake it, @ me, I’d also like to know.

Just now, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Yeah, it loads into the game, but the planets aren’t scaled up so Valentine isn’t much farther than Nara, not to mention 0.4x as big as the rest of the system. I thought there was a patch to fix it somewhere, but IDK where. If someone has it/can remake it, @ me, I’d also like to know.

Yea I actually just read up on it doing a slightly deeper search. Seems the creator of Extrasolar was going to add compatibility at some point but so far has yet to. I'm wondering now if maybe Galaxies Unbound might work, for now I suppose I'll use JNSQ on it's own. I'll have to get used to a more realistic and upscaled system in the first place before I can start thinking about going interstellar anyway :sticktongue: 

3 minutes ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

Yea I actually just read up on it doing a slightly deeper search. Seems the creator of Extrasolar was going to add compatibility at some point but so far has yet to. I'm wondering now if maybe Galaxies Unbound might work, for now I suppose I'll use JNSQ on it's own. I'll have to get used to a more realistic and upscaled system in the first place before I can start thinking about going interstellar anyway :sticktongue: 

Well- FFT beta soon- also just about the only sensible way to send a large crew to Lindor

2 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Well- FFT beta soon- also just about the only sensible way to send a large crew to Lindor

Luckily I'm running a heavily modded game, one of which is KSPIE, so I should hopefully be able to work with that without having to use the warp drives. If anything I can just make intermittent refueling stations alongside mining stations and work with that.

10 hours ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

Does Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain work with JNSQ? My initial assumption was yes since all three are made by the same person/team, but I figure I'd ask before assuming.

As mentioned, JNSQ packages it's own visual configs; SVE and SVT would only mess things up.  And even if you were playing plain stock, SVT is pretty much obsolete now and has been surpassed by the new stock terrain shader introduced beginning with KSP 1.8.

10 hours ago, TheMultiVitamin said:

Also do you know if an extrasolar planet pack would work with JNSQ as well? One that adds a new star system/s to be more clear. I'm assuming it does as JNSQ is just the stock system and the one I'm considering doesn't touch stock at all, but I'd like to be sure.

The only planet pack I know of that provides JNSQ compatibility is Grannus Expansion Pack.  The problem with other planet packs is that they're not built to the correct scale to integrate with JNSQ.  Regular GEP is not to the correct scale either, but it comes with an optional mod (GEP_JNSQ) that rescales it to fit.

I once wrote a Sigma Dimensions config to rescale everything while ignoring JNSQ, and then put the Nova Kirbani system in the game. It actually worked, but I think there were some bugs. With a little refinement, such a config could allow other planet packs to work with JNSQ with a "Warranty Void" warning.

7 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Is JNSQ stable with Principia? I know the orbit of Minmus is changed with Principia installed, but I'm wondering if the whole JNSQ system is stable once that change is made.

It should be.  Everything was stable the last time I tested it.

In addition to Minmus moving, Bop's orbit becomes retrograde.

Edited by OhioBob

On 10/29/2020 at 1:49 AM, TheMultiVitamin said:

I'm using Galaxies Unbound in my JNSQ game. Distance-wise, it is SIGNIFICANTLY farther out than Valentine, and it's a beautiful pack. I've only seen one issue so far - it adds a CItyLights layer to Kerbin which is mapped to stock Kerbin's terrain, not JNSQ Kerbin. (SVE does this also) So if you want to run both, I'd recommend removing the layer in EVE config or deleting the GU_Clouds/CityLights folder from Galaxies Unlimited so your lights look the way they are supposed to.

I just started playing with this mod, and apparently Minmus is a treacherous little rock. When i picked a landing spot in that light green band between these two craters:

LgyA6ri.png

I was not expecting it to soon turn into this:

C6luBRJ.png

9q8hrXy.png

So that was an unexpectedly interesting landing challenge! Maybe it's for the best I couldn't turn on terrain scatters while keeping my FPS reasonable, because with their colliders I might have ended up dashing my probe against a rock. I almost did that with a mountain anyway.

How difficult is Eve entry intended to be (with FAR)?

Because with an Ap of ~13,000km, the very lowest I could get my Pe was around 50km, iirc. With that, I could only lower my Ap about 1000km per aerobrake. Any lower and my craft would blow up immediately.