[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Some results... (excuse the formatting; pasting from Excel doesn't seem to work nicely with the forums)

System Restock? Diam Pod Ablator Apoapsis Periapsis Outcome
JNSQ Yes 2.5m Mk1-3 800 Mun (89Mm) 37.4km Success; 329 ablator remaining
JNSQ Yes 1.875m Mk2 500 Mun (89Mm) 40.3km Success; 176 ablator remaining
JNSQ Yes 1.25m Mk1 200 Mun (89Mm) 40.2km Success; 78 ablator remaining
JNSQ Yes 0.625m Experiment Storage 50 Mun (89Mm) 40.1km Success; 21 ablator remaining
JNSQ Yes 2.5m (NFT) Pandora 800 Mun (89Mm) 38.4km

Failure; pod exploded

edit: to clarify, I don’t have FAR installed; I see that some of the folks having issues do have FAR

Edited by PocketBrotector

4 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

For those of you who've gotten it to work, are you using Kopernicus Bleeding Edge, Continued-er, or something else?

Both, actually.

I tried plowing on with the JNSQ Exploration series in Bleeding Edge based on good success I had at Minmus and after succeeding in building a space plane that could take four crew to orbit and back. But I'm running into unique problems on Lindor's moons with their surfaces not quite being there, or being in a different place than the displayed terrain suggested. Or something. Parts would explode for no good reason, wheels and EVAs would lose traction if they didn't just explode.

When I encountered this I went back to rovers I've left on other worlds. I didn't have one left on Edna which would have been a good idea in light of this, but everything else left on Moho to Eve to Laythe to Pol seemed to still work as intended.

Ultimately I stopped troubleshooting when I realized a brand new game didn't have these issues on Lindor's moons. At least not yet; I am planning a replay in a fresh save, and I'm backtracking to 1.9.1 with the known stable Kopernicus Continued edition. My original save for that originated on 1.7.3 and migrated through 1.8.1, 1.9.1 and 1.10.1, which is the only thing I can't test.

So I guess when you start a new game, stick with one KSP version along with the plugins and add-ons you use throughout that save, and don't ever migrate that save to another installation.

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I realize that JNSQ does not officially support KSP 1.10 yet. For those of you who've gotten it to work, are you using Kopernicus Bleeding Edge, Continued-er, or something else?

I use JNSQ 99% of the time, and have been using BE versions across a few KSP versions. My very stable current install is 1.10.1 with Bleeding Edge Release 46. Since I'm focusing on some other stuff and need core KSP to be stable, I've just been sticking with Release 46 for now and I have zero known problems. Full disclosure: I spend almost all my time from Duna inwards.

13 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I realize that JNSQ does not officially support KSP 1.10 yet. For those of you who've gotten it to work, are you using Kopernicus Bleeding Edge, Continued-er, or something else?

Continued-er isn't a version of Kopernicus. Though JNSQ does have compatibility with our footprint feature!

So about that do-over...

I posted a new thread in Mission Reports so JNSQ discussion doesn't get cluttered.

First priority is finding a Discord home server. I don't have the time to run my own server and I figured one more stream in an existing server wouldn't be too much trouble. Would a Discord server owner be interested in hosting a daily one hour stream?

Second is making sure all of the designs I used from the original series still work. Some craft use old versions of parts like the 1.25m service bay, and other craft will need rebuilding from the ground up. That's on me.

What I'm hoping to do is a do-over that avoids the process of editing all new episodes, at least until before reaching Krel again. After that, the schedule would end and I'd resume producing episodes normally, doing Krel and Aden over.

So that's the plan. Please let me know what you think over at that Mission Reports thread.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, eberkain said:

I restored the stock heat shields using the restock whitelist as detailed here.  

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Restoring-Stock-Parts

I then performed the exact same test, and had no reentry issues.  

S02cOje.jpg

I think it is safe to say the problem is solved. 

I also restored the stock heat shields, and also was able to safely re-enter and land on Kerbin.  I've so far done ~10 tests with Restock 1.875 heat shields, and 4 with stock 1.875 heat shields.  All the command pods with Restock heat shields were destroyed from a Mun-height apoapsis, and all the command pods with stock heat shields survived.  (I was able to save a crew with the Restock heat shields by first lowering my orbital velocity by 1200 mps, and then rocking the pod back and forth on re-entry).  Indeed the issue does appear to be the Restock heat shields.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:03 PM, OhioBob said:

By "thicker" do you mean taller or denser?  While the JNSQ atmospheres are taller, they aren't any more dense than stock.  But in either case, that's not the reason why JNSQ is more challenging from a reentry heat standpoint.  The thing about JNSQ that increases the heating are the higher velocities.  For instance, Kerbin escape velocity in stock is about 3.4 km/s, while in JNSQ it's 5.6 km/s.

Thank you for pointing that out, I was incorrect; it is indeed the greater velocity that largely distinguishes re-entry in the JNSQ system versus the stock system, and not a "thicker" atmosphere. 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:25 PM, PocketBrotector said:

Some results... (excuse the formatting; pasting from Excel doesn't seem to work nicely with the forums)

JNSQ Yes 0.625m Experiment Storage 50 Mun (89Mm) 40.1km Success; 21 ablator remaining

Failure; pod exploded

edit: to clarify, I don’t have FAR installed; I see that some of the folks having issues do have FAR

Interesting.  I do not have Far installed either.  I'm not sure why we've had different experiences with the Restock heat shields.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:25 PM, PocketBrotector said:

Failure; pod exploded

what game version are you running and can we see a shot of your gamedata folder?  I'm thinking this may be a conflict with a 3rd mod. 

Hey all, coming back to KSP after a few years away and JNSQ looks like an amazing mod for a challenge. I'm having some odd visual issues around Eve with EVE + Scatterer at low altitude: clouds don't seem to have any density once I get below the PQS; there is some low quality "cloud" like stuff that looks glitchy (visible at the bottom of the screenshot); and I have a black horizon. Kerbin looks better but the clouds look a little bit light as well.

I searched around this thread and didn't see anything (a little hard to search for "Eve" though). Having the same visual issues in both 1.9.1 with Kopernicus stable and 1.10.1 w/ Kopernicus BE. I suspect this is an installation mistake on my part.

Using EVE 1.10.1-3 and Scatterer 0.0610 (1.9.1) and 0.0632 (1.10.1).

Spoiler

xNy4uhA.png

ZuHouCS.png

Edited by antilochus
mod versions

2 hours ago, eberkain said:

what game version are you running and can we see a shot of your gamedata folder?  I'm thinking this may be a conflict with a 3rd mod. 

Running KSP 1.10.1. All mods I have installed should be the latest according to CKAN. Here's the contents of my GameData:

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_Toolbar
001_ToolbarControl
B9PartSwitch
BetterCrewAssignment
BonVoyage
CommNetAntennasInfo
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
CryoEngines
CryoEnginesNFAero
CryoTanks
CustomPreLaunchChecks
DatedQuickSaves
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DynamicBatteryStorage
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
HeatControl
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
JNSQ
KAS
KEI
KerbalAtomics
KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport
KerbalEngineer
KerbalHealth
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalKonstructs
KerbalRenamer
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
KerboKatz
KIS
Kopernicus
kOS
KSP-AVC
KSPRescuePodFix
LB_KSP_Configs
MagiCore
MarkIVSystem
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NavyFish
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
OSSNTR
PartOverhaulIntegration
PlanetShine
QuickMods
RationalResources
RationalResourcesParts
ReStock
ReStockPlus
SCANsat
scatterer
SnacksSupport
SoundtrackEditorForked
SpaceTuxLibrary
Squad
SquadExpansion
StageRecovery
StationPartsExpansionRedux
toolbar-settings.dat
Trajectories
TriggerTech
Waterfall
WaterfallRestock
WildBlueIndustries
ZeroMiniAVC

1 hour ago, antilochus said:

Tried it in 1.10.1 and still looks off:

OK well that's what mine looks like too at that altitude. Changing the camera angle to see more or less of the planet also causes all those flat white areas to Rorschach around. I dunno if it's supposed to be different, but I see the same thing you see (I was at 112k)

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

OK well that's what mine looks like too at that altitude. Changing the camera angle to see more or less of the planet also causes all those flat white areas to Rorschach around. I dunno if it's supposed to be different, but I see the same thing you see (I was at 112k)

Something seems to be wrong here - see youtube below @ 11:26 and 12:17 for what it probably "should" look like (the white area should be all over the planet, it seems). This is happening in both 1.9.1 and 1.10.1 for me.

Spoiler

Edited by antilochus
detail

10 minutes ago, antilochus said:

Something seems to be wrong here - see youtube below @ 11:26 for what it probably "should" look like

Wow, OK I'm an idiot. I did have this looking right on my machine on Oct 20 when I filmed the 30 second video linked below. The only thing I can think of that I changed was adding DOE, which I just uninstalled and it didn't change anything. Somehow in Oct my Eve looked like the video, but today it looks like the screenshot below the video.  *bangs head against wall*  No idea what I changed, but now I gotta dig this up.

Spoiler

And now:

Sy4lOdn.png

35 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Wow, OK I'm an idiot. I did have this looking right on my machine on Oct 20 when I filmed the 30 second video linked below. The only thing I can think of that I changed was adding DOE, which I just uninstalled and it didn't change anything. Somehow in Oct my Eve looked like the video, but today it looks like the screenshot below the video.  *bangs head against wall*  No idea what I changed, but now I gotta dig this up.

Reveal hidden contents

And now:

Sy4lOdn.png

Seems like only plugin that has been updated since the summer is Kopernicus BE. For what it's worth I just tested out a bunch of EVE releases (Redux and Maintenance) and none of them resolve. Also tested a rollback to Kopernicus BE release 21.

Edited by antilochus
testing

Just did the clean reinstall (with the versions eberkain referenced) and still have the issue. It appears sort of like some issues that others have raised about cloud heights not being applied correctly to rescaled planets?

Spoiler

OWWIvgY.png

Edit: I can confirm changing cloud + lightning heights in \GameData\JNSQ\JNSQ_Configs\EVE\Clouds.cfg to 18500 and 18500.15 respectively fixes the issue, per the below. Although this may not be the optimum altitude as scatterer effects seem to be hidden now.

Spoiler

sQoksJC.png

Edited by antilochus

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I may have filmed this for nothing, but in case anyone wants to see the symptom, here it is. 

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks. There's the same issue on Huygen although maybe intentional (just mountains through clouds). It appears the Ad Astra EVE Clouds config uses 12500, 12510 for Eve clouds and lightning and actually slightly lower altitude for Huygen. 

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

These are (now) the same versions I have, and the problem on Eve persists. Are you sure your Eve looks right?

You are right, my EVE works fine, but my Eve don't look right.  lol.   Its only noticeable at low altitude, this was 150km 

RareSpottedBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Edited by eberkain

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

Its only noticeable at low altitude, this was 150km

This is the price we pay for wanting to be on the newest everything :)  Since JNSQ doesn't support 1.10.1 officially, I've posted a question on the EVE thread just in case there's another alternative, but sounds like editing the cfg should work for now.

edit: check over there for an update!

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers