[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

15 hours ago, OhioBob said:

You can move Grannus farther away.  Just add the following patch and change the multiplier to whatever you want it to be.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[GEP]
{
	@Body[Grannus]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@semiMajorAxis *= 10		// a multiplier that can be whatever value you want
		}
	}
}

This is amazing. You can do that? For real?

I just drop a file with those lines to any directory right? Fantastic

If I could have a very distant system without adding any more mods (as I have 150 of them right now :) ) that would be neat.

For now Grannus is orbiting at 5 000 000 Mm from Kerbol. To make it right maybe I'll multiply by 5.

1) Is there a limit to how far a star can be from Kerbol?

2) Is the whole universe orbiting Kerbol? or can you have a star with a fixed position like Alpha centauri or Bernard?

Does eveything has to go round? (maybe it's a stupid question, i don't know)

17 minutes ago, Factor_X said:

I just drop a file with those lines to any directory right? Fantastic.

Just copy and paste those lines into a text editor, like Notepad, and save it as a txt file.  Change the extension from .txt to .cfg.  Then just place the file anywhere inside the GameData folder.

There may be but I have no idea what it is.

2) Is the whole universe orbiting Kerbol? or can you have a star with a fixed position like Alpha centauri or Bernard?

Yes, everything orbits Kerbol.  I don't think there's anyway to have something in a stationary position, but at the distances we're talking about, the orbital period would be many thousands of years.  It would be moving but very very slowly.

40 minutes ago, Factor_X said:

1. The limit *may* be 232m.  source: 

Given that 6 years ago, people were using distances in yottameters, you're probably safe with any distance you want. As with any major change in KSP, back up your save, and try it and see if there are errors.

2. The whole universe has to orbit *something*. Usually that's Kerbol, but you could have Kerbol and another system both orbiting a fixed point. (like a barycenter, but not really) Certain functions are reliant on that central point, so I don't know all of what impacts you might see. As @OhioBob said, with the distance involved, orbital speed will be so low and orbital period so long that the fact it's "orbiting" Kerbol won't really matter in a practical sense.

3 hours ago, panarchist said:

Given that 6 years ago, people were using distances in yottameters, you're probably safe with any distance you want.

There are severe heating bugs in interplanetary ranges though with Kopernicus, so, might want to turn off part heating if going that far away.

3 hours ago, Anachro said:

Seems that many stock standard parts cannot withstand the JNSQ reentry

so how should I set the lower heat endurance from 2000k to?

2400k? 3400k?

The few heating problems I encountered (mostly with the 1.875m pod) were ‘fixed’ by setting SAS to Surface mode instead of Orbit mode after selecting retrograde. 

2000k is already ridiculously hot, so I doubt that that is the culprit. 

4 hours ago, Anachro said:

2400k? 3400k?

I assure you they can. I have been using JNSQ since launch and you'll need to adjust your speed, re-entry angle.

Re-entry is supposed to be tricky, just like real-life. Definitely set your SAS to surface not orbit. Be prepared to wiggle a little and don't come in too shallow, take the g-force and get through the heat.

I usually re-enter with my periapsis between 35 and 40k.

8 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

I assure you they can. I have been using JNSQ since launch and you'll need to adjust your speed, re-entry angle.

Re-entry is supposed to be tricky, just like real-life. Definitely set your SAS to surface not orbit. Be prepared to wiggle a little and don't come in too shallow, take the g-force and get through the heat.

I usually re-enter with my periapsis between 35 and 40k.

Problem solved!

Reentry is really something that you can dig into! And sadly 1000h of stock experience didn't taught me that lesson.

21 minutes ago, Anachro said:

Problem solved!

Reentry is really something that you can dig into! And sadly 1000h of stock experience didn't taught me that lesson.

In stock you won't use all your ablator. Not even close, it's wasted weight.

However speeds of re-entry in JNSQ are higher so the heat on re-entry greater.

JNSQ is balanced for stock parts so if you run in to trouble it's likely your design or flight profile. :-)

8 hours ago, Anachro said:

2400k? 3400k?

I've never really experienced much problem in JNSQ as long as I use a heat shield.  Of course re-entry heating is adjustable via a slider in the game difficulty settings.  I usually keep it at 100%.  If you have it turned up to more than 100%, that may be the problem.  I recommend adjusting the slider rather than changing the heat limits of the parts.

With the heat at 100%, I find that reentry from low orbit doesn't even need any ablator, just a heat shield.  Heat shields have a max temperature of 3300 K, which is higher than a typical low orbit reentry.  So as long as the shield takes the heat and not something else we should be fine.

We need ablator only when the max temperature without it will exceed the 3300 K limit of the heat shield.  Reentry from high orbit, such as a return from Mun or Minmus, will probably exceed 3300 K, therefore ablator is needed.  Ablator lowers the temperature of the heat shield.  For example, a heat shield that would reach 3300 K without ablator might only reach 2800 K with ablator.

FYI, we don't necessarily need ablator to last the entire reentry.  It just needs to last long enough to get beyond the critical phase.  When the ablator runs out the heat shield temperature will suddenly increase, but as long as it stays below 3300 K we'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

In stock you won't use all your ablator. Not even close, it's wasted weight.

I usually adjust the ablator mass down if I don't need it all.  I use to have some rules of thumb for how much ablator I needed for different missions, but I don't really remember them.  The only one I seem to recall is for reentries from Mun and Minmus in stock KSP.  I think I use to set the ablator mass to 5% of the reentry vehicle's mass.  For example, if the vehicle was 2000 kg I'd set the ablator to 100 kg.

8 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I've never really experienced much problem in JNSQ as long as I use a heat shield.  Of course re-entry heating is adjustable via a slider in the game difficulty settings.  I usually keep it at 100%.  If you have it turned up to more than 100%, that may be the problem.  I recommend adjusting the slider rather than changing the heat limits of the parts.

With the heat at 100%, I find that reentry from low orbit doesn't even need any ablator, just a heat shield.  Heat shields have a max temperature of 3300 K, which is higher than a typical low orbit reentry.  So as long as the shield takes the heat and not something else we should be fine.

We need ablator only when the max temperature without it will exceed the 3300 K limit of the heat shield.  Reentry from high orbit, such as a return from Mun or Minmus, will probably exceed 3300 K, therefore ablator is needed.  Ablator lowers the temperature of the heat shield.  For example, a heat shield that would reach 3300 K without ablator might only reach 2800 K with ablator.

FYI, we don't necessarily need ablator to last the entire reentry.  It just needs to last long enough to get beyond the critical phase.  When the ablator runs out the heat shield temperature will suddenly increase, but as long as it stays below 3300 K we'll be fine.

I usually adjust the ablator mass down if I don't need it all.  I use to have some rules of thumb for how much ablator I needed for different missions, but I don't really remember them.  The only one I seem to recall is for reentries from Mun and Minmus in stock KSP.  I think I use to set the ablator mass to 5% of the reentry vehicle's mass.  For example, if the vehicle was 2000 kg I'd set the ablator to 100 kg.

Also check, that all parts of the reentry vehicle can withstand 2400K. As an example: I had it with Tantares parts, that the inline parachute on top of a capsule would burn off, even when being shielded. That is now fixed, but you should check the critical parts nevertheless.

10 hours ago, Anachro said:

2400k? 3400k?

I did adjust my heat settings very slightly to handle some non-stock parts that had some sections outside the radius of the heat shields, and i was too lazy to use the wider shields.  I also never has an issue with stock parts.

14 hours ago, Anachro said:

I've not had such a problem, even returning from JNSQ Dres on the Mk1-3 command pod and 2.5 m heat shield. Returning from the Mun was easy on the Mk2 pod and the 1.875m heat shield even with half ablator., and returning from Minmus was easy on the Mk1 pod and 1.25m heat shield and full ablator.

Make sure you're using stock parts and not ReStock! parts - I've seen examples of the ReStock 1.875 m heat shield actually being a little smaller than 1.875 m, cooking the Mk2 pod to a crisp on its edges.

The only overheating problems I’ve had with (re)stock parts are the spherical making history pods, even with their built in ablator they get really toasty and tend to burn up when coming in from beyond LKO

Edited by CDSlice
fix a typo

15 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Make sure you're using stock parts and not ReStock! parts - I've seen examples of the ReStock 1.875 m heat shield actually being a little smaller than 1.875 m, cooking the Mk2 pod to a crisp on its edges.

Pretty sure this has been fixed - I use the Mk2 command pod a lot, and haven't had any issues so long as it's not reentering at a weird angle.

Has anyone elsed noticed that memory use with JNSQ goes down as you play?

When I launch KSP it uses about7,700 MB of memory (according to task manager) but after half an hour or so (if that even) of playing my new career save it goes to about 2,500 MB, which seems a little weird.

1 minute ago, Black-Two- said:

When I launch KSP it uses about7,700 MB of memory (according to task manager) but after half an hour or so (if that even) of playing my new career save it goes to about 2,500 MB, which seems a little weird.

I've noticed that too, at least with my computer fan. For my first ~15 minutes of playing my fan sounds a bit high but after that it goes back down.

1 hour ago, Black-Two- said:

I've noticed it, but I don't think it's unique to JNSQ.

I've been trying all day to find the right config for this without success, Hopefully someone here will be able to help.

I'm trying to make all the ground stations closed and hidden at the start of the game. You then need to fly to the base/ground station to open it. Basically I just want the ground stations to behave the same as any other facility. I have tried changing the JNSQ KK config files to all read OpenCloseState = Closed  and I have gone through the persistent.sfs save file and changed all the OpenCloseState = Open and isOpen = true to OpenCloseState = Closed and isOpen = false. 

When I first start the game after making the changes the ground stations are closed as I want, but as soon as I go into the Tracking Station, they all magically get opened.

My Advanced settings are: Extra CommNet Stations = OFF

My KK settings are: Enable CommNet GroundStations ON, Leave Stock CommNet OFF

If it matters, the reason why is b/c  I want to have another option between using the KSC only as a ground station and having complete world coverage from the start of the game. And I want to make them hidden b/c its not really "exploring the planet" if I've got a waypoint to fly to.

I hope someone can help....

Hi guys

A quick question I hope.  Im running a 1.11.2 game with JNSQ, Kopernicus (stable), EVE Redux and Scatterer. 

Im noticing that I only have a single layer of clouds in the game. They seem to be around 8000m and they are volumentric. 

1) Is this normal for JNSQ?

2) Can I get more than 1 layer? (I have friends claiming to have 3 or 4 layers using the same mods and game version as me)

I took the liberty of checking the Clouds.cfg which sits in JNSQ/Configs/EVE and sure enough, I can only find reference to an 8000m layer for Kerbin in the .cfg

Many many thanks for any responses!

Matt