[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

On 8/26/2021 at 12:42 PM, panarchist said:

Good to know, thanks. Hard to say what's "realistic" - not all RF frequencies are bent by the ionosphere, and those that are vary by frequency. I'd imagine that anything below 0.9 isn't realistic, because when the ionosphere bends a signal that much, it tends to stay "trapped" in the layer - which is how ham radio signals can communicate with other stations hundreds or thousands of miles away on Earth. Most of the space communication frequencies are high enough that the bending wouldn't be that significant - although GPS sees significant bending, so who knows?

KSP doesn't model different wavelengths. I suppose you could write a mod to do that, but I think it would be a lot of work for very little benefit.

8 hours ago, flart said:

does someone have access to releases on github? There are many PRs and tweaks in the master since 0.9.0, and they could be packaged as 0.9.0.1

I'm considering doing that.

2 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Final frontier is a ribbon award mod. Kerbals are awarded mission ribbons, that's simply either the ribbons or mod info for Final Frontier.

That's correct, it's the ribbons for the celestial bodies added by JNSQ.  The Final Frontier mod includes the ribbons for the stock bodies.

4 hours ago, Apricot said:

I don't think 0.9.0.1 would be a suitable version name. Too many commits, including Bop rotation fix for Principia. I am afraid upgrading silently would break some existing games.

There won't be anything silent about it.  It will be a pretty significant upgrade with 1-1/2 years worth of changes that have never been released.  It's about time we get JNSQ up to date.  There will be an announcement about it here with a lengthy changelog.  If there is anything about it that has the potential to break existing saves, we'll issue warnings.  (It probably won't be version 0.9.0.1 as the updates are more significant than that minor version number change suggests.)

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

There won't be anything silent about it.  It will be a pretty significant upgrade with 1-1/2 years worth of changes that have never been released.  It's about time we get JNSQ up to date.  There will be an announcement about it here with a lengthy changelog.  If there is anything about it that has the potential to break existing saves, we'll issue warnings.  (It probably won't be version 0.9.0.1 as the updates are more significant than that minor version number change suggests.)

Not for nothing, but I think 0.10 has a nice ring to it.

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

Are those changes currently accessible on github (for testing purposes of course), or are there changes that haven't made it to GH yet?

Most of the changes have already been pushed to GitHub.  But to be honest, I really don't know what it all includes.  I'm going to have to look over 19 months worth of commits to figure out what's been done and get it all into a changelog.  Along the way I might discover it's not release ready and requires more changes.

7 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Most of the changes have already been pushed to GitHub.  But to be honest, I really don't know what it all includes.  I'm going to have to look over 19 months worth of commits to figure out what's been done and get it all into a changelog.  Along the way I might discover it's not release ready and requires more changes.

You could always get it together into a usable state and then let us beta test it for you.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Be aware that the currently in included Kronometer doesnt work on 1.12, you need my updated version.

Not sure how you will address support of older versions of KSP vs 1.12

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Be aware that the currently in included Kronometer doesnt work on 1.12, you need my updated version.

Not sure how you will address support of older versions of KSP vs 1.12

At this point I'm planning to remove Kronometer from JNSQ and instead list it as a recommended mod.  The user will have to download and install Kronometer separately.

6 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

At this point I'm planning to remove Kronometer from JNSQ and instead list it as a recommended mod.  The user will have to download and install Kronometer separately.

I think that's the best approach. I did that myself to confirm that JNSQRealDate works with the latest Kronometer.

Folks is there an upcoming release in the next little while? I'd like to contribute some science texts for the non-stock worlds and non-stock biomes on stock worlds, but I also don't want to miss any release deadlines Team Galileo has planned.

Otherwise I'll just make a fork and do a pull request when time permits.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Folks is there an upcoming release in the next little while? I'd like to contribute some science texts for the non-stock worlds and non-stock biomes on stock worlds, but I also don't want to miss any release deadlines Team Galileo has planned.

Otherwise I'll just make a fork and do a pull request when time permits.

There's no firm target date for an update, but I hoping it will be sometime in the next couple weeks.

Hi. Bit of a visual or rendering bug going on in my sandbox test. Note that I have several mods and planet mods currently running parallel. Wasn't too sure about where to post logs as I am not sure which mod is actually producing the following issue, but maybe somebody had this before... 

Notable planet mods: JNSQ, GEP, (GEP_Primary & Rescale & Commnet), GPP, (GPP_Secondary) - alongside Eve, Scatter, MakeLessHistory and other goodies.  

Oh, and OPM :blush:. It is likely one of the planet mods might be causings. 

Issue: In map view, JNSQ-Kerbin looks great with oceans and all. However, when at KSC or in flight, the water is shown as solid, desert land - seen in the background. 

Spoiler

pAjGlH9.jpg

Since I'm using some ~86 mods, it is likely that one of them boiled the seas. I really want to play with these different planet mods. This bug (if it is even one) is still playable, but... you know, water is cool. 

Did anybody ever have an issue like this one? Before I painstakingly start the crusade for the bug. 

Edited by Spraki

1 hour ago, Spraki said:

Did anybody ever have an issue like this one? Before I painstakingly start the crusade for the bug. 

Yes, but I don't remember what caused it.  I'm thinking it might have been a scatterer related issue, but I'm not sure about that.  I recommend that you start uninstalling mods and try to figure out what's causing it that way.

25 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yes, but I don't remember what caused it.  I'm thinking it might have been a scatterer related issue, but I'm not sure about that.  I recommend that you start uninstalling mods and try to figure out what's causing it that way.

I'll start there. Did a quick test where the ground was actually under the typical sea level. There was a kersplash, so it must indeed be something shader/rendering related. 

Guess Scatterer just might be it. 

3 hours ago, Darkherring said:

@Spraki go to scatterer window and press "rebuild oceans"

I see that this is a common issue by Scatterer, but I can't for the love of it find this exact button. 
In KSC view, I see Scatterer's blue globe icon but none of the tabs revealed "rebuild oceans". 

In flight, the blue globe icon is not available in the Qbar on the right. Alt+10/11 reveals a Scatterer window, but clicking on that settings button causes nothing.

Hm. Perhaps I should install an earlier version of Scatterer? Or maybe I have to just be patient until further 1.12 Scatterer updates are available. 
Anyways. Will head over to the Scatterer thread. Better =). 

Edited by Spraki

On 8/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, sturmhauke said:

KSP doesn't model different wavelengths. I suppose you could write a mod to do that, but I think it would be a lot of work for very little benefit.

I know - I was talking about reality and what's "realistic". That was actually the point, that of necessity it's going to be an abstraction.