[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

5 hours ago, Dorgus said:

Playing JNSQ with any other planet mod results in the planet mod not having an scatterer atmosphere. Any fixes?

From the OP...

JNSQ is not recommended for use with other planet packs. Questions regarding other planet pack compatibility will be ignored.

Aw damn. My bad there then, too. Just loved to have lotsa-planets available in the Tracking Station. JNSQ design really looks nice <3. Guess I fell for snagging it into the GPP + GEP bunch because reasons.

I feel it might be a good idea to push that disclaimer to the top of the OP (just under the JNSQ logo/screenshots) with that one line being bolded or marked yellow. 

3 hours ago, Spraki said:

Aw damn. My bad there then, too. Just loved to have lotsa-planets available in the Tracking Station. JNSQ design really looks nice <3. Guess I fell for snagging it into the GPP + GEP bunch because reasons.

I feel it might be a good idea to push that disclaimer to the top of the OP (just under the JNSQ logo/screenshots) with that one line being bolded or marked yellow.

The current JNSQ version was never designed to work with other planet packs.  However, GEP does include an optional addon that is suppose to make it compatible with JNSQ.  The responsibility for making to two work together is on GEP, not JNSQ.  If something doesn't work it should be reported there.  That being said, I've never observed any issue with scatterer atmospheres when GEP and JNSQ have been installed together.  Not sure what the problem is.  There has been no effort to make GPP work with JNSQ, so there is no support available for that.

2 hours ago, Dorgus said:

Installing JNSQ and GEP breaks the scatter atmosphere for GEP planets. This is what my original comment about. I'll bring the issue to GEP then.

Did you install GEP_Rescale?  GEP is built to a different scale than JNSQ, so it's designed to work with JNSQ only if you resize it using the optional mod GEP_Rescale, which comes packaged with GEP.  In addition to resizing GEP, GEP_Rescale also fixes some things that JNSQ breaks, including the scatterer atmospheres.

Edited by OhioBob

UPDATE

Version 0.10.0

Changelog

• Added dark mode dV map.
  • Added one biome each to Dres and Edna.
  • Added Optional Mods:  JNSQ_Rescale for 1x and 10x versions of JNSQ.
  • Changed Eeloo's rotational period to 8 hours.
  • Changed game start time to 6:00 UT--sunrise at KSC (requires Kronometer).
  • Converted celestial body icons to .png (thanks to @yalov cn GitHub).  This fixes issues with Strategia and Waypoint Manager.
  • Fixed Bop's rotation to retrograde for Principia users.
  • Included RemoteTech in antenna range multiplier (thanks to @armegeddon cn GitHub).
  • Included part upgrades in antenna range multiplier (thanks to @jsolson cn GitHub).
  • Revised atmospheres (surface pressure unchanged, heights may be different).
  • Revised CelestialBodies.pdf (atmosphere changes).
  • Revised flying altitude thresholds.
  • Revised NavBall switch radius multipliers.
  • Revised asteroids so that they better populate the desired fields.
  • Reduced Minmus' science values for Principia users.
  • Reduced SCANsat altitude multipliers from 3x to 1.5x.
  • Removed KerbalHealth config. KerbalHealth has chosen to host all JNSQ configs in itself.
  • Removed Kronometer from JNSQ (must now be downloaded and installed separately).
  • Removed MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours plugin (now part of Kopernicus).
  • Removed Rational Resources bundle.
  • Updated TweakChutes to hopefully properly respond to FAR/RealChute.
  • Updated KK:
    • Added three more space centers. (Hidden)
    • Added runway section to S. Musgrave.
    • Added barracks to all bases that were missing them, including observatories.
    • Buffed barracks capacities at astronaut complexes.
    • Fixed duplicate launch site names for helipads and rovers.
    • Fixed orientation or offset of some bases.
    • Fixed west vs east runways.

This update includes many important updates, bug fixes, and improvements.

This update is certified to work only with KSP 1.12.1 or newer.  It may work with older KSP versions, though it has not been tested and support will not be provided.

Atmospheres have been redone to provide conformity across all Team Galileo products.

This update adds an extra 1/2 rotation to Kerbin's initial rotation.  This could break existing geostationary satellites if they are strategically placed over specific landmarks.  This change can be reverted by deleting the file JNSQ_Configs/OffsetTime.cfg.

Adding JNSQ_Rescale to an existing save is not recommended.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by OhioBob

34 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Updated TweakChutes to hopefully properly respond to FAR/RealChute

So, no more messing with the parachute configurations on the fly, or making regular chutes work on Duna or Eeloo. :) Seriously though, thanks for taking a look at this and making adjustments.

Thanks so much for this update! When I finish my exploration series, I'll try to review and publish a KSP 1.12.2 compatible save for folks to take a look around in.

Further Explanation of Rescale mods...

The optional Rescale mods are designed to allow JNSQ, GPP and GEP to be installed either together or individually in a variety of scales.  These mods work without the use of Sigma Dimensions and should never used in combination with Sigma Dimensions.

The scales are defined as follows:

• 1x – 1/10th real scale, or approximately stock size. This is the native size of GPP and GEP.
  • 2.5x – 1/4th real scale, or approximately 2.5x stock size. This is the native size of JNSQ.
  • 10x – Real scale, or approximately 10x stock size.

(Note that stock KSP is actually closer to 1/11th scale.)

JNSQ can only exist as the primary star system, i.e. the planetary system orbiting the central star.  No other options exist for the installation of JNSQ.

GPP can be installed as the primary star system only if JNSQ is not present.  It can also be installed as a secondary star system to either JNSQ or GEP, using the optional mod GPP_Secondary.

GEP can be installed as the primary star system only if JNSQ is not present, using the optional mod GEP_Primary.  It can also be installed as a secondary star system to either JNSQ or GPP, or as a tertiary star system if both JNSQ and GPP are present.

In summary, the following are possible:

• JNSQ
  • JNSQ + GEP
  • JNSQ + GPP + GPP_Secondary
  • JNSQ + GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP
  • GPP
  • GPP + GEP
  • GEP + GEP_Primary
  • GEP + GEP_Primary + GPP + GPP_Secondary

To be installed together, all planet packs must be sized to the same scale.

Example #1

We want to install all three planet packs sized to 2.5x scale.  Since JNSQ already exists at 2.5x, it does not require resizing.  However, GPP and GEP are both natively 1x, therefore we must install the 2.5x version of GPP_Rescale and GEP_Rescale to match the size of JNSQ.  We install the following mods:

JNSQ + GPP + GPP_Secondary + GPP_Rescale (2.5x) + GEP + GEP_Rescale (2.5x)

Example #2

We want to install all three planet packs sized to 1x scale.  GPP and GEP already exist at 1x, so resizing is not require.  However, JNSQ must be resized to 1x scale to match the smaller size of GPP and GEP, therefore we must install the 1x version of JNSQ_Rescale.  We install the following mods:

JNSQ + JNSQ_Rescale (1x) + GPP + GPP_Secondary + GEP

Example #3

We want to install all three planet packs sized to 10x scale.  Since none of the planet packs natively exist at 10x scale, all three must be resized using the 10x version of their Rescale mod.  We install the following mods:

JNSQ + JNSQ_Rescale (10x) + GPP + GPP_Secondary + GPP_Rescale (10x) + GEP + GEP_Rescale (10x)

It is also recommended that you delete the Kopernicus cache when using Rescale for the first time.  These are the *.bin files located within each planet pack's Cache folder.  This should be done anytime the size of a planet pack is changed, but needs to be done only one time per size change.

It is also recommended that the DSN modifier in game difficulty be set to a value appropriate for the size of the solar system.  The following are some suggested guidelines:

• If JNSQ is installed:  set DSN modifier to 1.6 for 1x scale, or 4 for 2.5x scale, or 16 for 10x scale.
  • If GPP is installed as primary:  set DSN modifier to 1 for 1x scale, or 2.5 for 2.5x scale, or 10 for 10x scale.
  • If GEP is installed as primary:  set DSN modifier to 1 for 1x and 2.5x scales, or 4 for 10x scale.

PartRebalancer10x

PartRebalancer10x is an optional mod that makes changes to the mass of parts and the density of propellants to give rockets more life-like mass ratios so they can attain the higher performance necessary when playing at real scale (10x).  It is provided as a simple alternative to using mods such as Realism Overhaul, ROMini, or SMURFF.  While PartRebalancer10x certainly doesn't provide the same level of realism as Realism Overhaul, it does allow you to jump in and immediately start playing at 10x scale with parts properly balanced for the task.  PartRebalancer10x is an ideal stepping stone for first-timers to 10x scale who want to experiment before making the jump to Realism Overhaul.  We recommend the addition of BetterSRBs for even more like-life solid rocket performance.  PartRebalancer10x is not recommended for scales smaller than 10x.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

However, is it intentional that the extinctionThickness in scatterer configurations is set to 0? This means there are no sunset colours in the lighting or clouds.

I don't know, I'll have to look into that.

(edit)  I can confirm that it has always been set to zero.  Nothing has changed since v0.9.0.

(edit 2)  The sunrises and sunsets look pretty colorful to me.  I don't see a problem.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

The sunrises and sunsets look pretty colorful to me.  I don't see a problem.

iirc zero extinction thickness makes it so the colored light isn't cast on objects, just the atmosphere. Probably not its main function, but maybe a side effect

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

14 hours ago, OhioBob said:

(edit)  I can confirm that it has always been set to zero.  Nothing has changed since v0.9.0.

(edit 2)  The sunrises and sunsets look pretty colorful to me.  I don't see a problem.

Yeah, it’s been an issue (?) for a while. Specifically, since the release of Scatterer 0.0722. It includes this line in the patch notes: 

• EVE clouds + Sunlight extinction respect extinction thickness

which explains why before that release the clouds and lighting were effected despite the extinctionThickness = 0 in the configs. Presumably, the configuration was made when that setting was being ignored, so the creator saw the coloured lighting happening anyway and didn’t see a need to set it to something else. Now, there is a reason.

You’re probably looking at the colours of the atmosphere during sunrise and sunset, not the lighting and clouds. The atmosphere is fine, but those two features add a lot more to the visuals.

Edited by RyanRising

3 hours ago, RyanRising said:

You’re probably looking at the colours of the atmosphere during sunrise and sunset, not the lighting and clouds. The atmosphere is fine, but those two features add a lot more to the visuals.

Maybe I'll make that change for the next release, which, if history is any guide, might be sometime around spring 2023.

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Maybe I'll make that change for the next release, which, if history is any guide, might be sometime around spring 2023.

Fair enough, I suppose. I don’t know what it was supposed to be, but given it worked fine* before that patch I’ll just set them all to 1.

*ish. Still haven’t figured out what the deal is with the light and flare fading out too high when in space.

Edited by RyanRising

1 hour ago, jefferyharrell said:

@OhioBob I may be crazy. Has Kerbin's atmosphere always stopped at 80 kilometers? I would've sworn in 0.9.0 it was 85 kilometers.

You're not crazy.  Several months ago I completely rewrote the spreadsheet that I use to compute atmospheres.  Couple that with the fact that all three Team Galileo planet packs (JNSQ, GPP and GEP) can now exist together in three different scales (1x, 2.5x and 10x), I felt the need to redo all the atmospheres to assure they all conform to the same standard.  That resulted in new heights for many of the atmospheres, including JNSQ Kerbin.

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Fair enough, I suppose. I don’t know what it was supposed to be, but given it worked fine* before that patch I’ll just set them all to 1.

*ish. Still haven’t figured out what the deal is with the light and flare fading out too high when in space.

My previous response was partly in jest.  When I get a chance I'll play around with the scatterer settings to see if I can make it look any better.  But honestly, if that's the only change, I doubt I'll release an update.  But I wouldn't be surprised if other issues turn up that require fixes.  If so, there could be a 0.10.1 patch.

Edited by OhioBob

On 9/23/2021 at 11:32 PM, OhioBob said:

We want to install all three planet packs sized to 2.5x scale.  Since JNSQ already exists at 2.5x, it does not require resizing.  However, GPP and GEP are both natively 1x, therefore we must install the 2.5x version of GPP_Rescale and GEP_Rescale to match the size of JNSQ.  We install the following mods:

JNSQ + GPP + GPP_Secondary + GPP_Rescale (2.5x) + GEP + GEP_Rescale (2.5x)

I am trying to install that combination through CKAN by choosing "JNSQ", (version 0.10.0), "Grannus Expansion Pack Rescale" (version 1.2.4) and "GPP Secondary" (version 1.6.6.0). But CKAN tells me JNSQ 0.10.0 conflicts with GPP secondary (or rather, with its depency "GPP") version 1.6.6.0. Also, I don't see any GPP rescale package on CKAN.

Is CKAN telling the truth here (if so, which version of GPP secondary is compatible with JNSQ 0.10.0?) or should I just install GPP secondary and GPP_rescale version 1.6.6.0 manually?