[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

@OhioBob Yeah..... Snark opened my eyes regarding how much feature creep happened. That's due to what and how much I wanted to use Rational Resources as a catalyst for.

@Snark The micro-biome thing sounds pretty interesting. I must warn you that there's currently a problem with the biome map. The color for "Arid Mountains" biome is missing from the biome map texture so the biomes in-game are messed up. I know there's a fine point somewhere very near the equator but on the far side of Kerbin from KSC, which is a mountain peak in Aird Mountains so maaaaaybe I know what you mean. But I don't know for sure because I don't own MH and won't know where Woomerang is, so if by chance you have coordinates (KER, SCANsat or Waypoint Manager will do) I could make that mountain micro-biome happen. But also, I bet it's a glitch of PQS noise and Galileo may want to deal with it, or maybe he already did.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@OhioBob Yeah..... Snark opened my eyes regarding how much feature creep happened. That's due to what and how much I wanted to use Rational Resources as a catalyst for.

Maybe there should be an RR-lite version that just does resource allocation?  And then a full version that includes all the desired features?

But I don't know for sure because I don't own MH and won't know where Woomerang is, so if by chance you have coordinates

I think the coordinates of the launch sites are hard coded.  The Woomerang launch site should be located at 45.29 N, 136.11 E.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:35 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

I don't own MH and won't know where Woomerang

Per the KSP wiki, Woomerang's at 45° 17′ 24″ N, 136° 6′ 36″ E.  Looks like it's at the same spot in JNSQ.

The mountain I'm talking about here is a little ways to the southeast of that-- very visible from Woomerang, it's a striking feature with flat top and near-vertical sides, like Devil's Tower in Wyoming grown to monster proportions.

Will get more specific coords in a little bit, when I can plop a ship there.  :)

[EDIT]  Okay, mountain's at 43° 49′ 5″ N, 114° 26′ 19″ E.  Looks like it's a bit over 14 km high at the summit.

A few pics from Val's visit to that 14-km high mountain near Woomerang.

That's a fun place.  Definitely would love to see a micro-biome or some other reason for players to go there. (maybe put a black monolith on it, too?)

Gallery in spoiler.

Spoiler

Watch that first step... it's a doozy.

QGTw8Us.png

...Alas, Val couldn't take her helmet off to pose for this pic because it's fourteen freaking kilometers up in the sky and she'd immediately explode.

Obviously, on those rare occasions where you have the opportunity to stand at the top of a 14-kilometer cliff, there can be only one response:

if2A0ia.png

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

...Okay, let's see how far we can go.

OF3ZelX.png

...hmm, 33.2 km from our launch point and still well over 8000 m....

TfHvpRl.png

74.2 km.  Not bad for a first attempt.  :)

56 minutes ago, Snark said:

A few pics from Val's visit to that 14-km high mountain near Woomerang.

That's a fun place.  Definitely would love to see a micro-biome or some other reason for players to go there. (maybe put a black monolith on it, too?)

Gallery in spoiler.

Hide contents

Watch that first step... it's a doozy.

QGTw8Us.png

...Alas, Val couldn't take her helmet off to pose for this pic because it's fourteen freaking kilometers up in the sky and she'd immediately explode.

Obviously, on those rare occasions where you have the opportunity to stand at the top of a 14-kilometer cliff, there can be only one response:

if2A0ia.png

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

...Okay, let's see how far we can go.

OF3ZelX.png

...hmm, 33.2 km from our launch point and still well over 8000 m....

TfHvpRl.png

74.2 km.  Not bad for a first attempt.  :)

That’s my Everest. I had a feeling that’s what you were talking about :)

14 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Snark It would be juuuuust right if you could do that in 1920x1080 ;)

Unfortunately, for those particular images I can't, because I didn't save the originals-- sorry, didn't occur to me that anyone might want them for anything, I figured they were just quickie throwaways for a forum post that I figured folks might find mildly interesting or amusing.

Here are a few others, though, at 1920x1080.

Spoiler

I took a bunch of screenshots, picked out my favorites to crop / resize / etc. (the ones I posted above), and deleted the rest.

Ironically, this means that the deleted ones I can actually work with, because I can simply recover them from the recycle bin and make a point of saving the originals now.  However, the ones I already posted... well, I edited those in-place (cropping, resizing down, etc.), so there's nothing recoverable.  Oh well.

Anyway, here are the less-favorite shots that are kinda similar to the above, cropped to 1920x1080 but not otherwise manipulated.

Uv5nBLC.png

R257Bc8.png

57qvTo2.png

By the way, if anyone else wants to play around with BASE jumping off Mount Kerbin (or whatever name Galileo sees fit to bestow upon it), some tips in spoiler that may save some time.  ;)

Spoiler

The trick is to get enough clearance when you leap off the edge so that you don't bonk into the cliff face while your parachute is trying to open.  It's a super steep cliff, but not quite vertical, and I spent a fair amount of time trying unsuccessfully to initiate a jump.  I'd sprint to the edge, do a jump just as I get there, and then immediately deploy my chute... except that the chute can't engage a glide until it drops down a little to build airspeed, and I'd always touch the cliff face before that happens... and unlike vehicular chutes (which don't disappear until you stop moving), EVA chutes wink out of existence the instant you make contact with the ground, so I'd tumble to my death.

Spent numerous retries hoping I'd be able to shave it close enough not to do my plummet-like-a-lead-falcon thing, could never make it work.

What finally did the trick was to use my EVA thrusters.  At that altitude you're basically in vacuum, so they get more oomph than they do at sea level.  I'd turn on the thrusters, and then jump off the edge while simultaneously holding down the "thrust up" and "thrust forward" keys.  I'd still fall down pretty quick... but the combination of the upwards thrust slowing the fall slightly, and the forward thrust moving me out from the cliff face, made my "glide slope" slightly less steep than the cliff face.  It gave me enough clearance after a few seconds that I could turn 'em off, pop the chute, and glide safely away.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

By the way, if anyone else wants to play around with BASE jumping off Mount Kerbin (or whatever name Galileo sees fit to bestow upon it), some tips in spoiler that may save some time.  ;)

I've always wanted to name a Kerbin mountain Krakentoa.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Lol!

I'm thinking of renaming Galileo's Everest to Everpoof or Eversnooze.

"Wheneverest"

34 minutes ago, Jognt said:

EVA report: “Well we really did need that spacesuit to get here after all! Or at least the helmet..”

Pretty sure the suit's a hard requirement at that altitude.

2 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Doesn`t JNSQ 0.7 work with KSP 1.7.3 and Kopernicus 1.7.3-1? Because there are no changes to the planets ans orbits. For me it only works in KSP 1.7.1.

It definitely does. It sounds like something is installed incorrectly. Maybe the old version of Kopernicus got in accidentally?

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Doesn`t JNSQ 0.7 work with KSP 1.7.3 and Kopernicus 1.7.3-1? Because there are no changes to the planets ans orbits. For me it only works in KSP 1.7.1.

Don’t forget ModularFlightIntegrator. It’s a dependency for Kopernicus. 

10 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Don’t forget ModularFlightIntegrator. It’s a dependency for Kopernicus. 

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

It definitely does. It sounds like something is installed incorrectly. Maybe the old version of Kopernicus got in accidentally?

Sorry, my fault. downloaded Kopernicus but forget to install.

I just discoved JNSQ and find it very intresting but have an existing 2.5x rescale campaign. Would it be possible to convert my existing 2.5x to 2.7x ? I imaging I need to increase the orbit of my low Kerbin orbit so they are not aborbed by the planet or atmosphere. How much higher do I need to raise their orbit?

Doing my own calculations:

1.0x 600 Km radius
2.5x 1500 Km radius
2.7x 1620 Km radius

Increase in radius 1620 - 1500 = 120 km

I guess I need to increase them by 120 km, correct?

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok, but I noticed it has much less textures.  WHat about EVE, its not clear if it still have to be installed or not

JNSQ has EVE configs but it's not bundled. Just need to install the base EVE if you want the features.