[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

AWesome mod, but I'm having trouble loading JNSQ. The game loads l=like usual, but when the ksp music starts playing, the screen is stuck in a black screen with loading at the bottom right.

Spoiler

Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 21:24:50.738] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.755] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.805] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.821] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.838] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.855] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.888] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.905] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.921] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.955] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

That's my KSP log. Think it's a problem to do with Kopernicus, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help me?

EDIT: I deleted and reinstalled Kopernicus, and now everything works! Thank you for creating and maintaining this amazing mod! :D

Edited by Yeet_TheDinosaur

40 minutes ago, Yeet_TheDinosaur said:

AWesome mod, but I'm having trouble loading JNSQ. The game loads l=like usual, but when the ksp music starts playing, the screen is stuck in a black screen with loading at the bottom right.

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 21:24:50.738] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.755] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.805] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.821] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.838] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.855] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.888] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.905] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.921] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 21:24:50.955] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

That's my KSP log. Think it's a problem to do with Kopernicus, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help me?

Post a screenshot of your gamedata folder. You likely have installed things wrong.

6 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Who here thought that the coming JNSQ update only has scatters and "sky candy" in it?

Let's go for a launch. And let me give you a glimpse of how much more there is! :D

Seems like KK and Omega's Stockalike Structures are new dependencies?

Btw: can anyone confirm problems with scanning surface features on KSP 1.7.3? I have them both with the released version of JNSQ and the dev version, but I'm not sure if JNSQ is to blame.

Edited by infinite_monkey

31 minutes ago, Xt007 said:

I'm hoping/thinking you're waiting to release until Kerbalism 3.1 is ready to release.  I know I am :D

Nope. I don't use Kerbalism. It's nothing against the mod, it just changes too much and wasn't modular enough for me to just use what I liked about it. Maybe it's changed, but I don't follow the development of it anymore

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

Seems like KK and Omega's Stockalike Structures are new dependencies?

Btw: can anyone confirm problems with scanning surface features on KSP 1.7.3? I have them both with the released version of JNSQ and the dev version, but I'm not sure if JNSQ is to blame.

New dependencies, yes, but only to people who want more space centers, of course. They shouldn't cost you much in performance since my PC lacks in FPS and I haven't put trees or lots of roads in any of them, but I've never had to even think about limiting the size of a base to save FPS.

Spoiler

Except when I put 3 bases close enough that they all loaded at once. That hurt.

I can't confirm the ROC (scanning feature) thing. I don't do anything with or about them.

7 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I'm really missing the "like" button right now.  This looks awesome!

Get in line. It hurts to not have that button. :D

Spoiler

I'm also missing the image resize feature having "maintain proportions" checked by default.

I'm glad you like. Heh.

Good job and thank you to everyone working on this mod.

I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to those new launch sites.

Also,

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Yeah, unfortunately can't scan surface features at the moment.

This is just amazing, so many new launch sites! Should speed up Kerbin biomes exploration :)

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Except when I put 3 bases close enough that they all loaded at once. That hurt.

Doesn't KSP use LODs for buildings?

I just reached Mun for the first time in JNSQ career, really happy about that. First landing attempt was an absolute failure, though, more than 200 m/s short on deltaV ^_^

Spoiler

N4U53gb.png

etcFHSk.pngfmUN2w1.png

KSP does, but the three sites were all close enough that at least two will load nearly simultaneously when you approach them and it's easy to be near enough to the three at once. Well I do intend for some cases where two are close together, but never three.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

New dependencies, yes, but only to people who want more space centers, of course. They shouldn't cost you much in performance since my PC lacks in FPS and I haven't put trees or lots of roads in any of them, but I've never had to even think about limiting the size of a base to save FPS.

Oh, I'm not worried about FPS, I've got these mods installed anyway ;) I just wondered if this would cause problems when I already have some KK statics at the same place

@infinite_monkey I'm pretty sure I won't conflict with anyone's own custom bases. The KSC Harbor is directly east of KSC's runway (I can't see anyone actually building their own harbor. If you have one there you're gonna have to move it or delete mine. :P ) And I make no additions to KSC itself because many of those exist already.

Hey guys - thanks for the amazing mod. Really refreshes the game after a couple of thousand hours in the stock-sized system. I have just landed my second manned mun lander Apollo style, and plan to later tonight finish the mission and return home. My first was a success up until reentry - where my 45km periapsis proved too low and the command module was incinerated, killing Jeb, Bob and Bill (permadeath, no reverts, no quickloads, hardcore save). 

I’d obviously like to have my second crew survive... anyone got a successful munar reentry altitude for JNSQ?

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, Goody1981 said:

My first [JNSQ Mun mission] was a success up until reentry - where my 45km periapsis proved too low and the command module was incinerated

No heat shield? I managed to descend from the JNSQ Mun on a Mk2 pod and the 1.875m heat shield. I had a half ablator load on it.

44 km Kerbin periapsis, two passes, and burned up all (250 / 500) of the ablator on the first pass, but it survived and splashed down safe. I treated this Mun more like the real life one and mimicked Apollo quite closely.

30 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

No heat shield? I managed to descend from the JNSQ Mun on a Mk2 pod and the 1.875m heat shield. I had a half ablator load on it.

44 km Kerbin periapsis, two passes, and burned up all (250 / 500) of the ablator on the first pass, but it survived and splashed down safe. I treated this Mun more like the real life one and mimicked Apollo quite closely.

Hey thanks for the reply :) 

Sorry yeah I should have mentioned the parts, but I def had a heat shield. I made a full Saturn V replica so I had  the Mk1-2 command module with a 2.5m heat shield (full ablator). Hmm that’s interesting you were able to make it at 44km... and it still took 2 passes? Wow!

Edited by Goody1981

2 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

Hmm that’s interesting you were able to make it at 44km... and it still took 2 passes? Wow!

I'll have to review what version of KSP (I'm sure it was 1.7.3 and Kopernicus 1.7.3-1) and whether Ferram Aerospace had an impact or not. If you want, you can try my first successful JNSQ Mun ship, the Lindor V. It needs Making History for sure, but Ferram is optional.

2 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

Hey thanks for the reply :) 

Sorry yeah I should have mentioned the parts, but I def had a heat shield. I made a full Saturn V replica so I had  the Mk1-2 command module with a 2.5m heat shield (full ablator). Hmm that’s interesting you were able to make it at 44km... and it still took 2 passes? Wow!

You messed with the heat settings? I treat Mun like normal, 30km Pe. It gets a little toasty when coming from Minmus/edge of the SOI but everything survives - Set your Navball to Surface on re-entry though - Orbital retrograde is not quite aligned with the airstream.

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

You messed with the heat settings? I treat Mun like normal, 30km Pe. It gets a little toasty when coming from Minmus/edge of the SOI but everything survives - Set your Navball to Surface on re-entry though - Orbital retrograde is not quite aligned with the airstream.

This. I found that any deviation from pure retrograde would result in big explosions. Regardless of heatshield. 

I place extra RCS on my pods for that (MandatoryRCS mod, reaction wheels are weak). One could also offset a reaction wheel into the capsule for better stability too. 

5 hours ago, Goody1981 said:

Hey guys - thanks for the amazing mod. Really refreshes the game after a couple of thousand hours in the stock-sized system. I have just landed my second manned mun lander Apollo style, and plan to later tonight finish the mission and return home. My first was a success up until reentry - where my 45km periapsis proved too low and the command module was incinerated, killing Jeb, Bob and Bill (permadeath, no reverts, no quickloads, hardcore save). 

I’d obviously like to have my second crew survive... anyone got a successful munar reentry altitude for JNSQ?

I usually set my periapsis at around 35 km (as I recall) without any problems.  All the ablator burns off, but by the time it does the heating rate has diminished to the point that the ablator-less heat shield can handle it.

What happens with a high periapsis is that the vessel spends too much time skimming through the thin upper atmosphere.  The thin air is enough to heat it up but not enough to slow it down very much.  The peak heating rate in this case is not extreme, but you are absorbing heat for a long time without really slowing down.  After all the ablator has burned away, the vessel is still going fast enough to produce a high heating rate.  If the temperature rises above the maximum safe temperature of the remaining heat shield, the vessel will blow up.

When you use a lower periapsis you are forcing the vessel into thicker air where it will experience greater drag.  The heating rate (and g-load) will peak more sharply, but you'll slow down quicker.  As long as the peak temperature stays below the maximum that the vessel can handle, you'll be OK.  The vessel will still burn off all its ablator, but by the time the ablator is gone the vessel is traveling slow enough that the heating rate is much reduced.  The temperature of the heat shield will spike up as soon as the ablator is gone, but the spike will remain below the maximum safe temperature of the heat shield.

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

I usually set my periapsis at around 35 km (as I recall) without any problems.  All the ablator burns off, but by the time it does the heating rate has diminished to the point that the ablator-less heat shield can handle it.

What happens with a high periapsis is that the vessel spends too much time skimming through the thin upper atmosphere.  The thin air is enough to heat it up but not enough to slow it down very much.  The peak heating rate in this case is not extreme, but you are absorbing heat for a long time without really slowing down.  After all the ablator has burned away, the vessel is still going fast enough to produce a high heating rate.  If the temperature rises above the maximum safe temperature of the remaining heat shield, the vessel will blow up.

When you use a lower periapsis you are forcing the vessel into thicker air where it will experience greater drag.  The heating rate (and g-load) will peak more sharply, but you'll slow down quicker.  As long as the peak temperature stays below the maximum that the vessel can handle, you'll be OK.  The vessel will still burn off all its ablator, but by the time the ablator is gone the vessel is traveling slow enough that the heating rate is much reduced.  The temperature of the heat shield will spike up as soon as the ablator is gone, but the spike will remain below the maximum safe temperature of the heat shield.

Regardless of ablator; I’ve noticed JNSQ being more punishing if you’re not exactly surface retrograde. Whenever something blew up for me it happened before ablator was gone, and the pod blew first. 

I can see how people would experience this and think “hmm, maybe a bit less steep” even though it wasn’t so much the speed/Pe as it was slight deviations from retro. 

23 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Regardless of ablator; I’ve noticed JNSQ being more punishing if you’re not exactly surface retrograde.

Interesting.  I haven't experienced that issue.  All my reentries have gone without incident.  I don't know if I'm lucky or good.

(edit)  I take it back, I did have one bad incident.  One of my spacecraft had a part that wouldn't jettison due to a clipping issue.  I had to reenter with the part attached, which made the vehicle aerodynamically unstable.  The reaction wheels weren't strong enough to hold it retrograde and it flipped on me.  Blew up almost instantly.  And this was a low orbit reentry.

Edited by OhioBob