[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Browsers are crazy resource hogs.

Especially Chrome, and if you're running a browser AND KSP, you should make sure the browser is not set to use 3D hardware if that's an option. (the best course is as @5thHorseman said: open it in an image viewer - or view it in a browser on your phone, or a tablet, or another computer)

I tried JNSQ for the 1st time last night on 1.8.1 via CKAN. Even tho I am still somewhat new to KSP by about 4 months or so it is just awesome. The planets are just amazing! I tried launching KerbalX as a test and was able to get to Kerbins orbit OK and had just enough fuel to land back just fine. Man this opens a whole new world for me. Even though its a bit harder to get into space than stock, it just seems so much more real to me. 

13 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Is there a KSPedia version of the included delta-V map floating around? It's surprisingly taxing on my machine to alt-tab out of KSP to look at the delta-V map.

All the KSPedia work that we did for GPP ended up being a major pain in the neck.  So we decided for JNSQ that we weren't going to bother.  Sorry.

Regarding the DV chart, my experience in opening it is different.

The chart bundled with JNSQ consumes 15% of my i7 CPU when kept open in Windows default Photo Viewer. That's a ridiculously high CPU usage and I can even hear my system fans running faster. Silly/stupid Windows.

Opening this thread in Firefox to view the DV chart uses only 1% CPU.

44 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

The chart bundled with JNSQ consumes 15% of my i7 CPU when kept open in Windows default Photo Viewer. That's a ridiculously high CPU usage and I can even hear my system fans running faster. Silly/stupid Windows.

I just print it out on a 8.5"x11" piece of paper.

I'm about to start a new 1.8.1 JNSQ save, mostly because I want to try Tantares parts (without the clutter of all my other mods).

I've read mixed things about contracts having issues with resized systems and non-stock biomes. Any recommendations for contract packs and settings that work especially well with JNSQ? Or should I stick to Science mode?

15 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

I've read mixed things about contracts having issues with resized systems and non-stock biomes. Any recommendations for contract packs and settings that work especially well with JNSQ? Or should I stick to Science mode?

Why do you need a contract pack to play career?

44 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

I'm about to start a new 1.8.1 JNSQ save, mostly because I want to try Tantares parts (without the clutter of all my other mods).

I had a rescue contract with a Pe inside Kerbin's atmosphere but I just rescued the guy near Ap instead :) no other issues.

I'm not using any contract packs and don't have Contract Configuraror installed.

25 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Why do you need a contract pack to play career?

There are posts that say stock contracts generate too many uncompletable assignments when used with modded systems. Again, very mixed messages, and maybe I read outdated or just plain wrong things.

Hey just wanted to say I'm super enjoying this mod! installed it as soon as i saw it updated for 1.8 (now i gotta revert my 1.9 back to 1.8 on steam lol) and was blown away immediately.

I've had some visual glitches and I've never had to bug hunt yet and I'm not entirely sure where to start as I've never done it before (I have tried to find the log but failed to locate it every attempt. I had the game running each time in the past dont know if it would matter). The game also straight up crashes occasionally although my data is always saved somehow. So trying to figure out where to start has been frustrating (more so than the actual issues) and i'd like some assistance or direction to where i can get it.

I run a laptop MSI GE72MVR 7RG (Intel i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, 16GB DDR4-2400, Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5)

i know the processor is a little under so I'm not expecting an flawless experience but a way to get the best experience my hardware is capable of. I do run a number of mods (notepad file) all installed through CKAN

58 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

There are posts that say stock contracts generate too many uncompletable assignments when used with modded systems.

The problem generally is that stock contracts (and most contract packs!) make assumptions about the system. Like I said, a Pe of 80 is fine when your atmosphere ends at 70, but when the atmosphere reaches to 85 that becomes more troublesome. Another big place for assumptions is in costs. It's fine asking us to lift 2000 units of fuel into LKO in the stock game, but in RSS the contract's payment won't cover the cost of the ship.

Ideally, the contract system would take that kind of thing into account. We don't live in an ideal world though.

Generally in this or any other 2.5x pack, things are tighter but still perfectly doable. And as always (even in the stock game!) you need to think about the contract and decide for yourself if you'll profit from it (and how much profit you can expect) and whether or not that makes the contract worth it.

The margins are just tighter here, and most of us like that :)

Almost done Episode Eight: Ike.

Spoiler

SfduR1c.png

So this is where the Mohole went, eh?

Episode seven with Duna is already out. And it seems like Team Galileo may have taken the planet's name a little too literally. :) The playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDZ9YZtAQPzePj4FtzHucINfF-dDkTwO

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Silly forum editor.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Almost done Episode Eight: Ike.

Reveal hidden contents

SfduR1c.png

So this is where the Mohole went, eh?

Episode seven with Duna is already out. And it seems like Team Galileo may have taken the planet's name a little too literally. :) The playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDZ9YZtAQPzePj4FtzHucINfF-dDkTwO

I just finished the series so far, and it’s awesome. Btw Duna’s sunsets and sun rises are quite like Mars, blue and awesome.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, bigyihsuan said:

Is there a KSPedia version of the included delta-V map floating around? It's surprisingly taxing on my machine to alt-tab out of KSP to look at the delta-V map.

On 2/11/2020 at 10:57 PM, 5thHorseman said:

You may want to try one or both of

1. Run ksp in a window. Turn off "fullscreen" in settings, set the resolution to your monitor resolution, and then run it with the -popupwindow parameter. I've been doing this for years because it records better this way and one of the benefits is that doing other things at the same time is less jarring if not less taxing on the computer.
  2. Save the dV map locally and open it with an image viewer instead of your browser. Browsers are crazy resource hogs.

That said, an in-game dV map would be pretty cool, though I recall looking at custom KSPedia pages when it first came out, and after about 5 minutes just accepting that I'll never put the time and effort into it.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:45 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Open the Delta V as an image and just use Windows key to exit KSP screen.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:36 AM, Morphisor said:

I find it quite handy to have information like that with me on my phone to prevent alt-tabbing and destabilizing the game.

Also apply that to other wikis for the various mods, such as build guides for BDB.

21 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Sorry for all the quotes, but I figured if this many peeps had an issue with figuring out how to have the JNSQ dV Map (or *any* dV map or other image) easily accessable in-game, may I suggest this mod, which seems very small and not very resource-hungry? (also, you can resize images and save them in its respective folder, if any are too big/too small... vOv ... altho, you can also just resize the display UI...)
I've been using this mod *forever*, with great results

23 hours ago, OhioBob said:

All the KSPedia work that we did for GPP ended up being a major pain in the neck.  So we decided for JNSQ that we weren't going to bother.  Sorry.

Maybe worth adding Image Viewer to "Recommended Mods" in the OP? ... I also use it for .pdf's, text docs and spreadsheets.. i just convert them to some image file format first. ;) 

Edited by Stone Blue

31 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Sorry for all the quotes, but I figured if this many peeps had an issue with figuring out how to have the JNSQ dV Map (or *any* dV map or other image) easily accessable in-game, may I suggest this mod, which seems very small and not very resource-hungry?

You quoted me but my quote doesn't support what you said. I already said it works well for me in Firefox and only consumes 1% CPU. It's silly to install another mod to try saving 1% CPU usage.

25 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

You quoted me but my quote doesn't support what you said. I already said it works well for me in Firefox and only consumes 1% CPU. It's silly to install another mod to try saving 1% CPU usage.

Thats fine, just thought I would throw out another method for peeps to consider. Your choice if FF works for you.
For *me*, on my mid-grade potato, sure FF can use 1% or less (currently 0.4%CPU for me), but FF *also* uses ~250MB to 1GB of RAM for me, *AND* I have FF set to automatically use my integrated GPU, rather than the Intel HD, (I do that as I watch a lot of streaming services)... and its not great to have FF *and* KSP sharing GPU resources, esp. if you're on an only so-so computer. vOv

On 2/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, DeadJohn said:

One can also use alternative image viewer like nomacs instead of crappy Win10 image viewer.

@mreadshaw I've posted an SVG version on GitHub and OneDrive. It will be available in the next release (whenever that is).

@ArXen42 Interesting. I also don't like MS Photos app and I'm personally fond of HoneyView but it's nice to see options.

@moguy16 Test your machine and judge for yourself. We recommend 16GB minimum.