Breaking ground - Test Zone

i'm making this post so people can share their early experiments with Breaking grounds :)

Here's a small Rocker Bogie rover :) that thing really sticks to the ground :)

nY7uZma.png

Configuration : motors disengaged, unmotorized. maximum angle set at -45° to + 45° on each of the hinges :):)

@cy4n waaay easier to store ;)

Testing a Mobile Base System (controlled by Kal-1000 - i hope he won't lock me out ^^) :) - just need to pause the Kal-1000 track when it's at the correct position :)

ELqMUef.png

album with extended positions below :)

https://imgur.com/a/TgZOXsJ

As of note, the big pistons at 800kn sucks 10.7 EC/s each (regardless of the traverse rate) - if you don't have enough energy and your batteries go dry, they will switch to disengaged state (and will continue moving based on inertia / gravity)

screenshot1380.png?width=1051&height=657

Got my Kerbikoma 2.0 built, now trying to work out all the kinks and hassles of keyframing a walk cycle for it.

screenshot1384.png?width=1051&height=657

The abdomen portion is fuel for fuel cells so it doesn't run out of EC.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

I came to the realization today, whilst engaging in drudgery, that it should be possible to make a self balancing bipedal or even monopedal walk(ish)er using a probe core set to hold radial out and a number of balance weights with their actuation bound to pitch and yaw.  I would build a demonstrator, but I have 3 more hours of drudgery yet.

Finally off work.

giphy.gif

My dear lord.  0.1 sec program repeat.

Some dude's got a claw game already lol.  That was fast.

I did a pogo stick.  It's manual operation though.

U2DrPm5.gif

gnite everybody.

Edit: EZgif is not a host.

Edited by klond

4 hours ago, fourfa said:

yer basic twin engine high wing

https://kerbalx.com/fourfa/Kessna-Twin

horrifically ugly prop blades because anything longer just breaks off on the pavement.  Small, realistic-looking props will always be a challenge.

Nice! I made my own twin prop, yours is faster though. Mine tops out around 70 m/s and is hard to land. Vanilla stock props are harder to build and control, but a hell of a lot more powerful.

I9Lj48g.png

12 hours ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

screenshot1380.png?width=1051&height=657

Got my Kerbikoma 2.0 built, now trying to work out all the kinks and hassles of keyframing a walk cycle for it.

screenshot1384.png?width=1051&height=657

The abdomen portion is fuel for fuel cells so it doesn't run out of EC.

That is adorable and when it's programmed I must have one :o

I seem to have a problem with the new rotor parts, they seem to get stuck (similar to the way wheels used to get stuck with the "wheel blocked" error).

I can attach a full fuel tank to the rotor and it will spin, but when I attach evelons/ wings/ other parts that weight a fraction of that fuel tank it gets stuck. I can then attach this rotor to another rotor, and the second one will work but the one with evelons won´t.

The rotor also won´t spin when cliped into other parts (even slightly) or when there are part close to it (well sometimes it does but only when no parts are attached to it).

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Edited by vitekc45c

1 minute ago, vitekc45c said:

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Have you auto strutted the moving parts? They dont like this. Have you use the same node twice? I just discovered that using the same node twice on the servos will cause part connection bugs.

D̶i̶s̶a̶b̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶

H̶e̶a̶v̶i̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶,̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶n̶d̶p̶a̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶.̶

Edit: Scratch that, the rotors now dont work all unless the are no parts attached to them. Auto struts dont matter.

Edited by vitekc45c

8 hours ago, vitekc45c said:

D̶i̶s̶a̶b̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶

H̶e̶a̶v̶i̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶o̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶r̶a̶c̶k̶s̶,̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶n̶d̶p̶a̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶.̶

Edit: Scratch that, the rotors now dont work all unless the are no parts attached to them. Auto struts dont matter.

Try surface attaching them not using the nodes.

after spending a few hours updating old craft (one in particular that will be released soon) decided to make a a helicopter system. After a bit of tweaking i ended up with this

eYLWypw.jpg

that is 200 TONS being lifted by only 4 of the large electric rotors (80 E/C a sec)

If you need a lot of electricity that can fit within a MK3 cargo bay :)

12xgigantors, 69 parts 10.4 tons !

made with Making History and Breaking ground :)

Features :

automated array deployement with Kal-1000, (can be reversed to stow them when not in use)

the solar arrays have a rotation capability.

and there is also a rotatron hidden in the S3/P3 section to allow to rotate both arrays.

Needed quite a few iterations to make it work properly and still fit within a mk3 cargo bay.

among the problems encountered :

i first tried to use the smallest robotics parts (outside of the crocodile hinges) on the early iterations - that was a recipe to invoke the Kraken... - still, be careful with reaction wheels even with that version ^^ they can quickly generate a resonance within the assembly.

For comparison with ISS SAW (from CXAerospace space station parts pack) :

I6mPtQ4.jpg

Edited by sgt_flyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.