Breaking ground - Test Zone

I realized a clock would be easy now. Here is a very basic prototype proof of concept. It keeps accurate time and can be set.  I plan on making something more elaborate at some point.  A digital clock is also doable and it would solve some issues around keeping track of time with challenges that involve EVAs or switching craft.

The only downside:  it will not work in timewarp.

vfCAQp4.png

On 6/19/2019 at 4:30 AM, Zosma Procyon said:

8 rotors each the 8 D-type wing connector blades, in 4 counterrotating pairs. Rather than being connected with in foremost rotors free spinning, the rear most are offset rearward and both are connected to the pylons. It isn't fast, in fact its annoyingly slow. I think I'll go back to using flaps in my experiments.

EDIT: Further experimentation has demonstrated that not only should rotor blades not be rigidly connected, but they produce more thrust if they're offset away from the rotor.The physics of this game are weird.

In my tinkering, I've also found that counter rotating prop's reduce overall thrust and that 4 bladed props work best.

I discovered a pretty cool thing which I fear is a bug and hope won't get patched out.

The KAL-1000 lets us get way, way more power out of lights than they can normally do. I discovered this by accident because I wanted to add a flashing beacon to my forward operating base. Turns out that if you use the spline thingies to push the curve past 100%, that value will get applied directly to the light.

I.e. I was able to make a real mega beacon. Mega MEGA beacon. I hope they don't patch this out...

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I discovered a pretty cool thing which I fear is a bug and hope won't get patched out.

The KAL-1000 lets us get way, way more power out of lights than they can normally do. I discovered this by accident because I wanted to add a flashing beacon to my forward operating base. Turns out that if you use the spline thingies to push the curve past 100%, that value will get applied directly to the light.

I.e. I was able to make a real mega beacon. Mega MEGA beacon. I hope they don't patch this out...

erm - just tested, it also work on engine thrust... so i guess they are going to have to patch it :p

it's a stock nerva... in atmo... just with a KAL-1000 set with your configuration, and the play time slightly moved in editor ^^ (at more powerful settings, the rocket burns from atmospheric friction.......... i wonder on how much that thing works :p (note : tested at the 'lowest' play time (was at 11000% thrust at liftoff)... - it went through 11000l of fuel in 1.05 minute - and was on a kerbol escape trajectory afterwards :p

8vs9kJA.png

edit : more ridiculous ^^ :

the lv-1 ant engine lifting 350 tons of LFO :p emptied half the thing in 10 seconds at the selected power :p (yup, that's an s4 tank here ^^)

CO9vgzZ.png

Edited by sgt_flyer
readded image

4 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

erm - just tested, it also work on engine thrust

Well I guess we now know what the K in KAL-1000 stands for.

Decided to bring back something i was meaning to bring back a loong loong time ago.

I was supposed to go for some new racing truck, or some new tank, but i decided to go for this instead.

KMCC-11200 Mammoth

xhIrBL3.png

Cuz bigger is better right :wink:

y0bpWgL.png

With the addition of the large crane, it also has rotating hazard lights and custom suspension. It has a million different moving bits that require more "manual" operation (operate from the part menu), as-well as patience.

Unfortunately i didn't have KIS/KAS installed, so there's no way to actually lift anything. But considering i was expecting the thing to brake under it's own weight, im pretty happy anyways.

I also tested the mobility of the crane before and after the crane was installed on the truck, and it's surprisingly capable and pretty fun to drive...unfortunately tough, the wheels tend to flip 180 around the pivot when going up and down hills, and the "springs" (the MK0 fuel-tank axles) tend to explode if you corner too hard.

And just for reference, here's a couple shots of my original mobile-crane from over 2-3 years ago. It was a part of the KBM-300 ICBM launch-system project. It was added in more for the sake of why not.

KMCC-704

FvjQdnP.png

Fully functional through the power of Infernal robotics.

gVenUSd.png

If only i put a bigger counter-weight i could have lifted it.

You can see that the new crane has a lot of the same construction techniques in use. The only major changes are the addition of the counter-weights on the boom/jib itself, and the suspension stuff.

It's kinda funny how i intended to make the new crane a LOT bigger than the old 4-axle one, but instead only manages make it slightly bigger, witch you can best see by comparing the length of the main boom/jib...it's 7 small panels long on both cranes.

I just had a test that went too well.

bz3ejIw.png

Full disclosure: The side tanks (pontoons) are empty. And they would be empty or nearly so if I sent this boat to Eve. The reason the test went too well is this boat was cruising at 30 m/s in this test. Make me suspicious.

I was having trouble with the steering on water, because rudders kept hitting the ground and breaking off. Then I remembered that the new servos can be linked into the steering. A little tinkering and it turns fine.

8uv8xrc.png

Just for this test, I put manned pods on the rotors. Bob got to experience 370 rpm.

Made a contraption for deploying two large drills from an Mk 3 cargo bay.  Getting them to fold neatly back on themselves was the trickiest part, but double alligator hinges (along with much trial and error) did the trick.

What you do mean, I can just flip the cargo bay upside-down?  HERESY.  This way I can build an equally practical mechanism to deploy some solar panels.

Stowed:

IMogrIA.jpg

Deployed:

rXwTMy2.jpg

Edited by Aegolius13

vQRJHwH.pngtJoeIKk.jpg

Breaking Ground is now officially my favorite DLC. I threw a plane together to test the new turboprops and it's surprisingly fast. Still hard to control though because of torque roll. If anyone can figure out a setup for these turboprops that mitigates torque roll that would be great. 

27 minutes ago, PhylumCnidaria said:

If anyone can figure out a setup for these turboprops that mitigates torque roll that would be great. 

Add a second, contra-rotating one. A'la either twin-boom P-38 or that Spitfire with double propeller.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra-rotating_propellers

Edited by Wjolcz

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

Add a second, contra-rotating one. A'la either twin-boom P-38 or that Spitfire with double propeller.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra-rotating_propellers

I know about contra-rotating propellers, I just don't want the added drag that comes with two engines like the P-38 and I don't want to put another engine on the rear like a Do-335. The turboprop itself only has one propeller hub.

Edited by PhylumCnidaria

10 hours ago, PhylumCnidaria said:

I know about contra-rotating propellers, I just don't want the added drag that comes with two engines like the P-38 and I don't want to put another engine on the rear like a Do-335. The turboprop itself only has one propeller hub.

There's really not much that can be done though. You either add a second engine or struggle. You could probably make one wing have some more lift to counter the torque but that will work for only a narrow range of speeds.

Had plans to recreate my 6-engined "Raven" transport-aircraft, but taught it would be a better idea to test the engines first before i spend all day building a new aircraft.

And what could be a better test bed than one of my bigger and heavier fighters.

yDsZ1Rz.png

9FYdacu.png

The Firbird MK II has a few extra added details as-well as one of the new engines with a 6-bladed propeller.

I gotta say, with the right settings, that new engine has some serious power.

The Firebird is able to reach 140-150m/s and can fly for about 30min with full power.

The original Firebird has 2 Airplane + "Kraken" engines (50 KN each)  and is able to fly at 150-160m/s. The range is about 70-80min at full power.

So, not too bad, if you ask me.

I've updated couple of my older planes by replacing the reaction wheel engines with the new rotors and propellers. Performance provided by these new parts is amazing. While using just 2 smallest rotors to run 3 bladed contra-rotating propellers I was able to get the planes to go ~250 m/s at low altitude.

mHuNr6V.png

83XWdmg.png

Link to the craft files:

VB 10

Air Racer

Stock (except for Mechjeb autopilot) King Air bootleg, dubbed Aeris Regent. Max cruise speed at these RPM and blade pitch settings. Weirdly enough, increasing RPM any further reduces acceleration.

Uses E-props powered by fuel cells. After flying for an hour at this speed, it's used only 1/6th of its fuel, so this thing could maybe circumnavigate Kerbin, even more so if I added another set of solar panels

ugmlLBe.png

Edited by Bartybum

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.