Breaking Ground: Bring a Mun Stone on the Mun back to Kerbin

So this is one of the career missions I picked up. Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it. I walk over to a boulder on the Mun and I just walk through it (as has always happened in previous versions). There's no right-click option either. Can't seem to drag it to pick up either. Are there specially made rocks that you can interact with? I landed about 10 km south of the Arch in the East Crater for reference.

4 minutes ago, capran said:

So this is one of the career missions I picked up. Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it. I walk over to a boulder on the Mun and I just walk through it (as has always happened in previous versions). There's no right-click option either. Can't seem to drag it to pick up either. Are there specially made rocks that you can interact with? I landed about 10 km south of the Arch in the East Crater for reference.

I believe you have to search for a Mun crystal, it's something totally new and obvious once you find one

1 hour ago, Zero266 said:

So other than aimlessly wandering, are the any methods for finding these new features?

5 hours ago, capran said:

Just in case you didnt start a new save, check @Rocketology 's quick fix of how to enable surface features in old saves.

They are pretty easy to spot and not very rare.Without this fix though, they wont spawn at all.

Edited by Boyster

1 hour ago, Matrix Aran said:

I've found plenty of colideable rocks much like the one in the kspedia screenshot for collectable features, hoever none of them allow me to pick them up.

You have to get very close. Sometimes you have to stand on top of them. Sometimes you can only access them from one side.

1 hour ago, bewing said:

You have to get very close. Sometimes you have to stand on top of them. Sometimes you can only access them from one side.

Reminds me of the old Science Jr where you could have your head inside the doors and not be able to collect science. Seems maybe the interaction distance needs raised.

2 hours ago, deimos87 said:

Hi guys, just a question:

but to see the new rocks on the ground, also with a new save, do i need to play in science or also in sandbox is fine? Thanks so much in advance!

All game modes work, as long as it's a new save.

I don't think this was mentioned about right clicking on the Kerbal for the interaction.

4 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

Thanks, finally found one. In case anyone else is wondering: to pick it up, you have to walk really close to it and right click on the Kerbal (not the rock). 

5 hours ago, bewing said:

All game modes work, as long as it's a new save.

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I believe you have to search for a Mun crystal, it's something totally new and obvious once you find one

I did start a new save to begin with. After finding this post: 

I edited the persistent.sfs  file as suggested. Still haven't found any Mun crystals but I did find a Baobob tree near KSC.

1 more thing I encountered. I got another mission, this one to deploy ground science on the Mun. After deploying and returning to Kerbin, and fast forwarding a few days, it still hasn't completed and it says "collected 457% of 50%"....what? Glitch?

https://imgur.com/a/S6coMcn

22 hours ago, bewing said:

And do you think you do have a commnet connection? The contract won't complete without it.

Thanks! I set up a commnet and those errors are gone. Still, seems like a glitch that it would just continually spam the message log with those. I had to click through over 300 of them.

I did eventually build a rover and find some Munstone and a "large crater". No crystals on the Mun yet, did find one on the mountains to the west of KSC though.

It's a bit disappointing that instead of being able to pick up the stone and put in your new fangled inventory slot, it's just a right-click menu option that makes a science text dialog box show up. Maybe next release they'll get more graphical.

The ground station experiments still have not completed. One of them is now over 5000%. LOL!

Edited by capran

Nah, that's not a picture of Munstone. This is a picture of Munstone!

9CEyiOm.jpg

H2EKrnw.jpgAlso a Large Crater.

I think what they need to add is a device that can detect "anomalies" from afar. Something similar to the resource scanner which would add a layer on the Map View to indicate where things like these objects are. Then a device that will point you in the right direction when on the surface. There was a mod that did something like that years ago before this expansion, can't remember what it was called.

I have been driving a rover around the mun for several hours at this point, on a new save, and haven't seen a single one of these things, not even in the distance somewhere. Nothing scannable. Just the same endless featureless repetitive gray. Nothing on minmus either. This has got to be the most tedious and infuriating waste of time I've ever experienced in this game.

There is no Green Sandstone on Minmus. I found Olivine Formation but no sandstone. It's pretty fustrating to try to find something that isn't there. Altough, I had luck with Mun Stone.

Edited by jarmonik

3 hours ago, jarmonik said:

There is no Green Sandstone on Minmus. I found Olivine Formation but no sandstone. It's pretty fustrating to try to find something that isn't there. Altough, I had luck with Mun Stone.

Each type of ROC is specific to a particular celestial body. You will not find any of them duplicated, AFAIK.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.