Catapult a Kerbal to the Island Airfield

13 hours ago, SkunkTwerks said:

Late to the party, apologies for zombifying this thread...

As long as people are happy to fling Kerbals for science and profit, I'm happy to keep this thread alive :kiss:

13 hours ago, SkunkTwerks said:

With absolutely no engines, motors, electricity, or kraken effects, the Twerkshop is pleased to report that it is possible to throw a 268.75 kg "kerbal safety cage" approximately 375 m, or a little over 7 center line stripes on the runway. Distance is from starting point to initial impact point, not including bouncing or rolling distance, measured using downrange readout from a stowed MechJeb unit in flight recorder mode.

Nice work on the eco-friendly option! Your entry also has the distinction of being portable with no launch clamps, so Kerbal flinging could be tested on other celestial bodies...

Added entry to the leaderboard.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i will make da best launcher i will upgrade @ManEatingApe's design but use a micro glider inside a launch fairing(decoupler used but force is set to 0 to avoid acussations of using decoupler power to increase range) micro glider is a super simple only using 6 parts, in fact my design is capable of 400 RPM before it tears apart and got a kerbal from the desert airfield to the KSC(using ballistic trajectory) it launched up out of kerbin's atmosphere at 1000 M/S and i could glide anywhere on kerbin I even took it on a trip even further to the airfield and that is max range if launched from airfield(i cracked the fairing after the ballistic trajectory took it 100KM and speed was low enough to not destroy the vehicle on the final leg of the journey jeb would bail out of the glider and parachute a few more kilometers, MAX RANGE 200KM  Battery and reaction wheel used to provide control.

2 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

my design is capable of 400 RPM before it tears apart and got a kerbal from the desert airfield to the KSC(using ballistic trajectory) it launched up out of kerbin's atmosphere at 1000 M/S and i could glide anywhere on kerbin...

I look forward to seeing your entry!

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, epicfailure2020 said:

i know it says catapult but is a cannon ok?

If it's using normal physics then any type of siege weapon is totally fine, cannons included!

If you're planning on using Kraken related shenanigans (similar to @Tyr Anasazi's entry) then that would put your entry into the Rogue's Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2020 at 3:22 AM, ManEatingApe said:

If it's using normal physics then any type of siege weapon is totally fine, cannons included!

If you're planning on using Kraken related shenanigans (similar to @Tyr Anasazi's entry) then that would put your entry into the Rogue's Gallery

It pains me to report that my cannon no longer functions in KSP v1.10  :(

The same goes for my supersonic stock propeller designs. :( :(

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, epicfailure2020 said:

so... if all siege weapons are allowed can i make a artillery rocket? unguided of course. 

Anything using normal physics and sticking to the rules of the challenge is fine.

Any Kraken-tech or loophole exploits puts your entry into the Rogue's Gallery.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.