Breaking Ground Walker speed challenge

12 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

Was trying a different appproach, get this:

It would work in real life.

That's pretty much rollerblading there :-)  I reckon as well that using landing gear on the end of legs, whether rolling or with the brakes on will have much better grip due to the friction control.  

8 hours ago, jmark1213 said:

Here is my bipedal mech walker submission. From start to finish I estimate a 1:55-ish traverse time. Not the fastest but the biggest challenge with bipeds is just getting the balance and CoM correct :)

[snip]

Damn that's good looking!

... .craft file?

Sorry all for my late reply.
Have updated the leaderboards an added links to the posts

@Klapaucius that thing just made me laugh so hard again, as well as your new forrest video and craft page :D maybe we need an extra award for these. Would you say it's a walker or more one for the special category? Im looking closely but can't tell :D

@Gergorik that's not suited for people with arachnophobia :o your time is already pretty good! have added this to the leadeboard with the hint for clipping.

@Mathrilord definitely a different aproach and verry funny to watch :cool: added your skater to the Special leaderboard. i've read 0:48 from the video, is that correct?

@jmark1213 wow, thats what i would call a walker! And even that fast! Congrats on this, verry impressive!

I instantly thought it would be cool to do a snake. After a few hours of flailing around pointlessly, I gave up and made a sort of inchworm-inspired craft. This would fall outside of the standard "walker" class, but I wanted to show it off anyway.

ecGl595.png

VVo4Kim.png

nmqK933.png

https://kerbalx.com/LevAerospace/Slither-3_1

It made the runway "run" in a blistering 7:33!

Decided to make another attempt.. This time with an even more lightweight chassis and some tweaks to the walk cycle, including reducing the cycle time from 2.0 to 1.7 seconds. By my estimate I was able to shave 11 seconds off my first run for a time of 1:44. 

4 hours ago, jmark1213 said:

Decided to make another attempt.. This time with an even more lightweight chassis and some tweaks to the walk cycle, including reducing the cycle time from 2.0 to 1.7 seconds. By my estimate I was able to shave 11 seconds off my first run for a time of 1:44. 

That's awesome. Try integrating wheels with brakes on into the feet to give better grip!

Well, I did not finish. I made the mistake of trying to turn while jumping and wrecked. I don't think I can carry enough power anyway, unless I do some solar powering, which considering my times so far, would not be a stretch.

Anyway,  a work in progress. It actually worked a bit better before the added weight on the nose and eyes, but aesthetics are important.  And he's gotta see where he is going!

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I can carry enough power anyway, unless I do some solar powering

Fuel cells are also an option. All off mine have been fuel cell powered, and they probably have hours of endurance on just a little bit of fuel.

12 hours ago, Tyr Anasazi said:

That's awesome. Try integrating wheels with brakes on into the feet to give better grip!

I actually did give that a try; the smaller wheel brakes weren't strong enough and the larger wheels were too heavy. I couldn't come up with another lightweight option to provide more friction. But, maybe there is something that I don't know about. 

Edited by jmark1213

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, Klapaucius said:

This is grand.  'Puts a smile on my face.  Don't forget a tongue :).

GL on this WIP.  If you get bigger hops report back.

14 minutes ago, Teilnehmer said:

<Skating>

The time is 0:44 if I get it right.

Beautifully done. I'd love to see that thing run out on the relatively flat plains between KSC and the mountain. Perhaps another set of KALs with more toe-out for slightly steeper slopes?

@Teilnehmer  That's fantastic. I love it.

3 hours ago, klond said:

This is grand.  'Puts a smile on my face.  Don't forget a tongue :).

GL on this WIP.  If you get bigger hops report back.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking about that while trying to read the same book I keep not finishing....

The frog made it.  Thanks  @neistridlar for the fuel cell suggestion.  @klond Note the tongue.

I need to manually do each jump.  He needs to settle. If I put it on continuous loop, even with a long pause, it gets off kilter.

Alas, I would have just had over 8 minutes had the poor guy not gone lame at the finish line. He spent over three more minutes crawling his way across. Note that his tongue was the first part to cross the finish line at 11:33. I have frozen the frame for proof :)

Edited by Klapaucius

18 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

The frog made it.  Thanks  @neistridlar for the fuel cell suggestion.  @klond Note the toungue.

I need to manually do each jump.  He needs to settle. If I put it on continuous loop, even with a long pause, it gets off kilter.

Alas, I would have just had over 8 minutes had the poor guy not gone lame at the finish line. He spent over three more minutes crawling his way across. Note that his tongue was the first part to cross the finish line at 11:33. I have frozen the frame for proof :)

That's hilarious!!!!

I would love to see what kind of distance it could get somewhere like the flats on Minmus!

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That's hilarious!!!!

I would love to see what kind of distance it could get somewhere like the flats on Minmus!

It does very poorly in low gravity.  Tylo (.8)  is okay and Duna works sort of. Any less and the torque from bringing the legs back in causes all sorts of issues.

Thanks for all your new entrys, really cool to see so much participation and so many creative ways :) Looking forwad to see even more!

Updates the leaderboards, added an own category for crafts using unlocked wheels

@doggonemess  that looks interesting, will have to try that later :D added to the wheeled contraptions leaderboards

@jmark1213 even more impressive! :confused: updated the leaderboard. Maybe small wheels angeled 90° can provide more grip?

@Klapaucius really love all your contraptions :D I can't even decide which one should get the special hilarious award :D What whas the problem at the end? Added to special contraptions. 

@Teilnehmer that's pretty smoth and fast! :cool: good work! added to the wheeled contraptions leaderboard

Edited by Kergarin

27 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

It does very poorly in low gravity.  Tylo (.8)  is okay and Duna works sort of. Any less and the torque from bringing the legs back in causes all sorts of issues.

Too bad... it would be a riot to see it get one good jump, and end up in low orbit... lmao

2 hours ago, Kergarin said:

What whas the problem at the end? Added to special contraptions.

I think it exhausted the battery before the fuel cell could catch up. When they run out of power in the middle of a motion they do weird things. That leg went completely dead afterwards.  It could just also be a bug...

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Too bad... it would be a riot to see it get one good jump, and end up in low orbit... lmao

Spoiler

Edited by Klapaucius

8 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I think it exhausted the battery before the fuel cell could catch up. When they run out of power in the middle of a motion they do weird things. That leg went completely dead afterwards.  It could just also be a bug...

Hide contents

that's sad, it's a really cool entry

now do that on Eve :D:D

Edited by Kergarin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.