Breaking Ground Walker speed challenge

Hi

Earlier today I´ve been fooling around with a walker idea I had last night, and as my "Rockroach" surprisingly reached 12m/s I thought "wait a minute, I think I´ve seen a challenge for this sort of stuff". After reading this thread I obviously thought I must go faster. So I scrapped Rockroach and a few hours later the "Rant" was born.

If this falls under the rotor-with-some-legs-sticking-out rule, I´m fine with that. Oh, and I hope that it´s ok that I had to enable indestructible buildings. The runway tended to blow up at speeds over 20m/s. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Dammit, I wanted to tidy up the garage today. I blame you @Kergarin :D

To the rest of you folks, lot´s of awesome (and sometimes hilarious) walkers around here. Have fun, Mü

Edit: Just found a typo in the vid. Sorry, got late. And I have absolutely no clue why my recording software cropped of the edges. Will investigate tomorrow. 

Edit2: https://kerbalx.com/herrmue/Rant

Edited by KerrMü

6 minutes ago, KerrMü said:

Hi

Earlier today I´ve been fooling around with a walker idea I had last night, and as my "Rockroach" surprisingly reached 12m/s I thought "wait a minute, I think I´ve seen a challenge for this sort of stuff". After reading this thread I obviously thought I must go faster. So I scrapped Rockroach and a few hours later the "Rant" was born.

I LOVE this!

@St4rdust

Edited by Klapaucius

21 hours ago, KerrMü said:

Hi

….

If this falls under the rotor-with-some-legs-sticking-out rule, I´m fine with that. Oh, and I hope that it´s ok that I had to enable indestructible buildings. The runway tended to blow up at speeds over 20m/s. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Dammit, I wanted to tidy up the garage today. I blame you @Kergarin :D

To the rest of you folks, lot´s of awesome (and sometimes hilarious) walkers around here. Have fun, Mü

Edit: Just found a typo in the vid. Sorry, got late. And I have absolutely no clue why my recording software cropped of the edges. Will investigate tomorrow. 

Edit2: https://kerbalx.com/herrmue/Rant

That thing is really fast! And I abosultely love its style :D running like crazy, and then this exhausting, just hilarious :D

I would say it is definitely more than just a simple rotation. But its main power indeed comes from steady rotations.
Actually it seems steady rotation is superior to rhtymic motion, so for now I would list it in the rotation powered category.

I can feel with you, I lost thousands of hours to this game an esspecially challenges :confused:

But this was definitly woth it. Congrats to the new fastest overall time and thanks for your entry!  

EDIT: Indestrucitble buildings are ok (since your walker would work on the gras), but please don't use indestructable parts.

Edited by Kergarin

1 hour ago, Kergarin said:

EDIT: Indestrucitble buildings are ok (since your walker would work on the gras), but please don't use indestructable parts.

Don´t worry, I didn´t use indestructible parts. And believe me I destroyed fortunes yesterday. :)  I made 6 testruns before recording. On two runs the runway stayed intact, on 4 it blew up. It just would have been a pain to record it in that circumstances.

I took the little rant out for a more casual walk today. From 40 to 70% thrust it behaves really well. The crazy thing is: The 3 pairs of legs are independant. How quick they go into resonace is remarkable. Could watch that all day.

And hey, I´m fine with every category you throw me in. Running this thing in the articulated legs competition just would not be fair, me thinks. 

Have a great evening. :)

Edited by KerrMü

3 hours ago, KerrMü said:

Don´t worry, I didn´t use indestructible parts. And believe me I destroyed fortunes yesterday. :)  I made 6 testruns before recording. On two runs the runway stayed intact, on 4 it blew up. It just would have been a pain to record it in that circumstances.

I took the little rant out for a more casual walk today. From 40 to 70% thrust it behaves really well. The crazy thing is: The 3 pairs of legs are independant. How quick they go into resonace is remarkable. Could watch that all day.

And hey, I´m fine with every category you throw me in. Running this thing in the articulated legs competition just would not be fair, me thinks. 

Have a great evening. :)

I downloaded you Rant from KerbalX and tried it in a few odd locations. It works great on Eve, and I even had it in the mountains on Kerbin. There is not enough traction to tackle too much of an incline, but it will climb mild ones.

Spoiler

atDMoKo.png

7rCWmjp.png

StAPIU0.png

Meet Kant, named after the great German philosopher, this craft is--by its very existence--a critique of pure reason.

It is up on KerbalX should you wish to test this testament to pointless engineering.  https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Kant-Unreasonable-Rover

Final time 1:19  (that's one hour and 19 minutes....)  I watched a lecture whilst tweaking it. I also paused a lot and had to revert to a quicksave after it went all limp just before the finish line. Important tip:  Don't allow walkers to run out of juice; they fail completely.  The video is edited down to 2 minutes.

Edited by Klapaucius

3 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

I’ve improved my skater. Now, it doesn’t lift the blades above the road. It can reach 53 m/s at the end of the runway.

The time is 0:10.

That is very cool.  I'm curious to see how it handles rougher and/or steeper terrain.

6 minutes ago, Teilnehmer said:

It can climb hills!

I had to modify the craft a bit however: I increased the ground clearance and added some exra fuel cells.

Hide contents

Yes!  I saw your posting on KerbalX and watched the video.  I have it my downloads queue. :)

I reckon you could just put an extra set of gear facing upwards and when it flips you will just keep going...

2 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

I didn’t get that. Could you please explain?

Put a second set of landing gear facing upwards to the sky.  So, when the craft flips over as it did in the end, it can carry on as an upside-down vehicle.  I said it tongue in cheek, but it would work. I did an almost similar thing on an earlier rover. I stuck an extra set of gear at a raised forward angle on the front.  This allowed it to recover when it got too much air.  You can see it doing that around the 45 second mark in the video:

My third attempt at a mechs and my second submission to this challenge. A time of 49 seconds by my count. This one is a development of my previous design and is capable of speeds up to 14.8m/s.

Ultimately I'd like to get a bipedal mech past 20m/s, and I'm sure it's possible. Hopefully the grip pads will help when they arrive. 

1 hour ago, SuperHappySquid said:

My third attempt at a mechs and my second submission to this challenge. A time of 49 seconds by my count. This one is a development of my previous design and is capable of speeds up to 14.8m/s.

Ultimately I'd like to get a bipedal mech past 20m/s, and I'm sure it's possible. Hopefully the grip pads will help when they arrive. 

Man that is cool.. 20 m/s seems pretty feasible using this design

@SuperHappySquid I'm just speechless. Those two are more than I have expected. Such smooth and fast running. And I love those flips :D
The first one somehow reminds me of Armored Core and the second one of the Metal Gear Rex :D

Added to the leaderboards.

Lookig forward to see you breaking 20m/s!

Have splitted the Classical Walkers into biped and and more than 2 legs Walkers.

Edited by Kergarin

@SuperHappySquid

This is awesome. I was just looking at your GIF on KerbalX.  After building my frog, I had the idea of doing a Kangaroo. I was not sure if I could pull it off, but it is obvious from your mech that it is doable. It jumps brilliantly.

PS. I would love to see some Duna trials.

Edited by Klapaucius

In trying to achieve the 20 m/s mark I had to come up with a completely new mech. I was having a lot of problems with stability and balance due to the high torque provided by the alligator hinges. I decided to add a tail and neck for balance, and voila! Balance issues solved - thanks, nature! 

43 seconds from start to finish line by my count. Around 17 m/s average speed - Getting closer :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.