Breaking Ground: Rocks

I've just accepted a contract to bring back some Mun rocks. Landed in a crater... but I can't find any rocks to pick up. I only see standard "fake rocks". How rare are the rocks that can be picked up and how to find them? 

21 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

I've just accepted a contract to bring back some Mun rocks. Landed in a crater... but I can't find any rocks to pick up. I only see standard "fake rocks". How rare are the rocks that can be picked up and how to find them? 

So they're included in contracts too? Good lord, this DLC is getting better and better.

These special scatters are rarer than normal, but not very rare. If you have a rover, you can rover around for a few kilometers, until you find a small rock out of place. These small rocks are solid, so you can test whether its a terrain scatter or not by touching or driving through it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, finally found one. In case anyone else is wondering: to pick it up, you have to walk really close to it and right click on the Kerbal (not the rock). 

778A71619FDDD73275EF461E905EF8B586975CB4

Also, the text you get when you pick it up is hilarious. 

And it appears that you don't need a storage container to bring one back. It is stored as other science experiments in capsules. I guess it's not big enough. 

I added the storage to my ship for nothing... 

11 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

In case anyone else is wondering: to pick it up, you have to walk really close to it and right click on the Kerbal (not the rock). 

For an educational game, Squad really needs to work on the whole "teaching players how to play their game" thing.

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

For an educational game, Squad really needs to work on the whole "teaching players how to play their game" thing.

Better yet make it so you don't need a tutorial. When you walk next to a rock there should be text that says something like "Press X key to pick up rock". 

1 hour ago, EchoLima said:

Better yet make it so you don't need a tutorial. When you walk next to a rock there should be text that says something like "Press X key to pick up rock". 

I would find that annoying to see every time.

I'd rather have a nice, hefty manual to read through than see that message pop up all the time.

1 hour ago, razark said:

I would find that annoying to see every time.

Why? There are already pop-ups telling you to press F to climb or grab a ladder - would you say that that's annoying? Besides, pressing a key to pick up a rock feels more natural than clicking a menu item.

I don't disagree about having a manual though.

We allready have the biggest manual any gamedev could come up with. This forum! I've learned more about KSP on this forum than any manual could teach me. And if something is not covered just pitch a question here. Usually within a day or 2 it will be answered. No it's not instant satisfaction...but hey, KSP isn't about instant satisfaction. :wink:

37 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

...would you say that that's annoying?

Yes.  I'd prefer something a little less intrusive to indicate an object can be interacted with.

30 minutes ago, Epicdreamer said:

We allready have the biggest manual any gamedev could come up with. This forum!

You ever try to smash a bug with a forum? 

Besides, manuals are portable and I can sit and read it wherever I want.

Edited by razark

I ended up turning off stock terrain scatter just so I can see the rare useful ones.  I guess that's just going to be abandoned now, which is a shame - I liked having clutter but now it gets in the way of gameplay.

13 minutes ago, khyron42 said:

I ended up turning off stock terrain scatter just so I can see the rare useful ones.  I guess that's just going to be abandoned now, which is a shame - I liked having clutter but now it gets in the way of gameplay.

Yeahh.. this is kind of a bummer. Seems like something that could be solved with a scanner. Like if you had the narrow band scanner or new part running on board nearby surface features would glow on your nav ball. That way you could leave the regular terrain scatter on and have another clue to direct you until you were close enough to visually scrutinize. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

10 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

These special scatters are rarer than normal, but not very rare. If you have a rover, you can rover around for a few kilometers, until you find a small rock out of place. These small rocks are solid, so you can test whether its a terrain scatter or not by touching or driving through it.

I love that this DLC has brought so much utility to having rovers.  :)

I have started a new career, and it is a blast for me, MH and BG DLC have changed the whole experience and i was shouting through the house when Valentina touched Munar surface for the first time.

Searching for the rocks, i felt truely impressed about the fact that rovers and robotic probes will have a impact on the future of my new careerplay, no chance to get things done by walking around and hopping over ridges by RCS, since it`s limited, dangerous and timeconsuming.

I went looking for a mun rock in rather deep crater, and - i found one. And brought it back to Kerbin for science and thrill. And new parts, contracts, upgrades and more fun. Excellent.

I haven`t even touched any robotic parts yet, i`m completly intrigued by other things actually...

Slight spoiler of my achievement below: :)

Spoiler

BvnXSKx.pngRDnX8qq.png

It feels so damn good, even for a long time user like me!

Edited by Mikki
typo

5 hours ago, VBlackshadow said:

How are you people finding these things so quickly? Am I just cursed? I have been driving around the mun all night looking and there's just nothing there.

I know your pain. It took me 4-5 hours! I had really given up and was just transferring crew between landers for the trip home when I spotted a Mun stone. My only tip (apart from turn scatter off) is to EVA up quite high and then look for tiny silvery reflections. I think some areas of the Mun are totally barren still. I searched a 3km radius from my first lander and found nothing.

7 hours ago, Mikki said:

I went looking for a mun rock in rather deep crater, and - i found one. And brought it back to Kerbin for science and thrill.

I found it quite amusing that the science reward for a stone was the same as the reward for a surface sample, bu itt only takes a few seconds to pick up some dirt. I feel finding special stones should give us extra.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:54 AM, Pthigrivi said:

Yeahh.. this is kind of a bummer. Seems like something that could be solved with a scanner. Like if you had the narrow band scanner or new part running on board nearby surface features would glow on your nav ball. That way you could leave the regular terrain scatter on and have another clue to direct you until you were close enough to visually scrutinize. 

That's a really good idea. I have no modding experience but I'm thinking of learning how to mod so I can make some changes to how the B.G. rocks work. Would you mind if I used your idea, if I did eventually make the mod?

15 hours ago, The_8_Bit_Zombie said:

That's a really good idea. I have no modding experience but I'm thinking of learning how to mod so I can make some changes to how the B.G. rocks work. Would you mind if I used your idea, if I did eventually make the mod?

Oh of course! I’d love to see it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.